PDA

View Full Version : Does the Post workout window really matter?

Matt04
12-19-2005, 05:11 AM
hey, im just got a question that affects me.

After my workout im not really in the mood to eat, so i go about and do whatever else i have to do.

My question is, that if i dont eat in that so called "window" after i workout, will this hinder my gains or stop them completly?

i am eating over maintence, but because i am not eating right after i workout, will i not gain Muscle size?

will i just gain fat because i am not eating right away??

Thanks, Matt04

Davidelmo
12-19-2005, 06:14 AM
I dont think it's that bad if you miss the window.

But eating the right things IN the window will help to make the most of your efforts in the gym.

You dont have to be hungry... why not blend a shake together? There are tons of ideal shake recipies on this site.

tigo
12-19-2005, 06:38 AM
PWO is very important
just drink a shake
takes 10 seconds

Unreal
12-19-2005, 06:56 AM
You can still make gains, but why waste your time, when all you need to do is take 10 seconds to drink some whey/carbs and get it over with. While you maybe able to make gains not taking advantage of it, why miss out on it?

Anthony
12-19-2005, 07:00 AM
It's not that big of a deal.

DoUgL@S
12-19-2005, 10:31 AM
If you do not take advantage of the window you will implode. ;)

If you are over maintenance and you are getting sufficent protein and healthy fats, the effects of taking it or not taking it are negligible in the average lifter.

edit: Keep in mind that it is during this window that you will get the best nutrient partitioning. So, is a PWO shake necessary? No. Is it preferable? Yes.

Matt04
12-19-2005, 05:44 PM
thanks everyone for your input, it seems like there is some mixed answers so if anyone else has input feel free to share.

but i will search for some PWO shakes on the forum and try and have one after my workout.

DeHartD
12-20-2005, 12:49 AM
thanks everyone for your input, it seems like there is some mixed answers so if anyone else has input feel free to share.

but i will search for some PWO shakes on the forum and try and have one after my workout.

Drink a protein shake or eat these homemade protein bars 1 after a workout will do the trick :)...

Amazing protein bars

2 cups natural peanut butter
16 tsp honey, you can add however much you like
3 scoops of whey, again you can add more if you like
2 cups dry oats
olive oil or flax if you like for extra calories but I didn't include this in my first batch

Heat the PB and honey till it's a little runny, mix the other ingredients in and then pack it into a brownie tray and refrigerate utnil it's hard enough to cut into bars.

Matt04
12-20-2005, 01:42 AM
Drink a protein shake or eat these homemade protein bars 1 after a workout will do the trick :)...

Amazing protein bars

2 cups natural peanut butter
16 tsp honey, you can add however much you like
3 scoops of whey, again you can add more if you like
2 cups dry oats
olive oil or flax if you like for extra calories but I didn't include this in my first batch

Heat the PB and honey till it's a little runny, mix the other ingredients in and then pack it into a brownie tray and refrigerate utnil it's hard enough to cut into bars.

sounds good, but how do they taste?

manowar669
12-20-2005, 03:28 AM
They taste like peanut butter, oats and honey. What's not to like?

JustLost
12-20-2005, 06:09 AM
If you are over maintenance and you are getting sufficent protein and healthy fats, the effects of taking it or not taking it are negligible in the average lifter.

edit: Keep in mind that it is during this window that you will get the best nutrient partitioning. So, is a PWO shake necessary? No. Is it preferable? Yes.

I'd just add that pre-workout nutrition is probably more important.

It's a little trickier when you're eating under maintenance... here's what I've found works for me -- it might not be for everybody.

I usually have a good breakfast -- carbs and some protein -- before working out, then start sipping a shake of milk, whey, oats, and banana during the workout. I generally eat a solid meal pretty soon after the workout.

big calvin
12-20-2005, 08:23 AM
just drink a small shake... i mean if there is a slight chance it helps you recover quicker why not do it? 2 scoops whey protein in 1 cup of water/milk.. maybe have some gatoraid as your training..? then a hour or 2 later have a full meal.

chris mason
12-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Post-workout (assuming you are training with resistance and it is challenging) increased protein synthesis occurs for up to 48 hours. So, the answer is no in the sense that people think there is some 1-2 hour window.

Consume a quality protein blend (like Nitrean or Opticen) 2-3 times per day in addition to your regular meals and you will be on the right track.

galileo
12-20-2005, 10:03 AM
Post-workout (assuming you are training with resistance and it is challenging) increased protein synthesis occurs for up to 48 hours. So, the answer is no in the sense that people think there is some 1-2 hour window.

Consume a quality protein blend (like Nitrean or Opticen) 2-3 times per day in addition to your regular meals and you will be on the right track.

The idea is that after a workout you're in a catabolic state and that consuming carbs + protein will take you out of the phase, while taking advantage of the newly increased protein synthesis.

That said, I believe it is more effective to get a quality pre-workout meal, which will allow you to utilize carbs/protein during and after the workout.

Chris' advice on consuming protein blends will definitely assist you in your goals.

big calvin
12-20-2005, 10:19 AM
maybe its just me but the first thing im thinking about after a workout is i need food!!!!!!.... lol

AllUp
12-20-2005, 11:19 AM
I eat 45m-1h before I head to teh gym.

I usually have a MRP or PShake 3h later (sometimes as I get in from the gym, sometimes as i'm watching toons - depending on the split/day) :p

Hatred
12-20-2005, 01:10 PM
I can't remember the last time I relied on hunger to tell me to eat.
If the thought "should I eat?" crosses your mind; you should eat.(unless cutting)

Manveet
12-20-2005, 06:22 PM
I can't remember the last time I relied on hunger to tell me to eat.
If the thought "should I eat?" crosses your mind; you should eat.(unless cutting)

:withstupi

shootermcgavin7
12-20-2005, 06:29 PM
I think following a textbook "post working window" probably is ideal, but you aren't going to wither up and die because you don't follow it religiously.

During my bulks, I bulk on what in many places could be considered as garbage. I still make great gains on my lifts. During my cuts I strictly manage my macros, calories, etc. During my bulks, I just make sure to get at least 5000 calories and take in 250-300 g of protein.

So, as it follows, I take care to get some protein and complex carbs after my workouts....during a cut. My workouts tend to become a little more difficult and I need all th help I can get.

During a bulk, I don't give a damn. I generally drink water after a workout and I can still make gains due to the massive amounts of food I take in. I probably do not optimize my gains, but as long as I'm making solid ones, I really don't care.

Built
12-20-2005, 07:29 PM
So, as it follows, I take care to get some protein and complex carbs after my workouts....during a cut. My workouts tend to become a little more difficult and I need all th help I can get.

During a bulk, I don't give a damn. I generally drink water after a workout and I can still make gains due to the massive amounts of food I take in. I probably do not optimize my gains, but as long as I'm making solid ones, I really don't care.

I do something similar.

Bulking OR cutting, I eat a solid protein and carb meal about an hour before I train.

Bulking, I sip whey with dextrose during my workout; I eat solid low-fat carb and protein after.

Cutting, I skip the whey with dextrose because I prefer to chew what little food I get to eat.

shootermcgavin7
12-20-2005, 07:44 PM
Bulking OR cutting, I eat a solid protein and carb meal about an hour before I train.
Bulking, I sip whey with dextrose during my workout; I eat solid low-fat carb and protein after.

When bulking, I just stuff my face before and after my workout.

You make me feel a little bad.

Only a little, though.

Built
12-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Nah - just male. Ya'll get to eat more during a bulk than we chicas do.

shootermcgavin7
12-20-2005, 07:56 PM
Nah - just male. Ya'll get to eat more during a bulk than we chicas do.

If you put on another 80 lbs you could stuff your face and feel like a champ, too

Built
12-20-2005, 08:09 PM
Been there. Done that.

Got the fat pants.

the doc
12-20-2005, 09:47 PM
lol@built

as for the PW window...

there is a substantial upregulation of glucose receptors on muscle cells after strenuous exercise and it is a great time to drive muscle glycogen synthesis and amino acid uptake

shootermcgavin7
12-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Been there. Done that.

Got the fat pants.

A fast metabolism will make you cry, too......

Jorge Sanchez
12-20-2005, 10:58 PM
Being very strict with your diet will yield excellent results. Trying to get the important things right (ie: calories in vs. calories out) all the time, and getting the other things right (ie: PPWO-PWO, macros, etc.) when you can will yield good results.

Personally, I wouldn't stress about it until you are 210 at 10%bf. That being said, I always try to get two solid PWO meals.