PDA

View Full Version : newbie in need

putnuontilt
12-19-2005, 05:37 PM
Ok, Im new to all this but have read most of the stickys and alot of the posts/replies (so if all this that I write is in the wrong thread Im sorry plzzz move to proper thread) but im still confused about a few things, Ill try to elborate on most. Another thing is Ive never worked out so Im trying to get more knowlegable before going and doing things right the first time out.

What Im trying to do is bulk and then after reaching my goal Id like to cut.
I work a 12hr swing shift, so im either on days or nights so my first question would be:

1. Is it better to workout after I get out of work?

2. What are the best carbs to have pre-workout? What are the best carbs post workout? I know Ive read about it but with all the info. Ive read Im just confusing the s*%$ out of myself?

3. How do I calculate how many calories I should have to bulk? to cut? and maintainence? Do I drop my calories when I cut or is it carbs?

4. Can I eat 1 tbl spoon of natty pb with every meal?

5. I have flax seed oil and fish oil that I bought from my local GNC, When is the best time to have these and how much? ( Proly what the recommened dosage is on the back of the bottle lol.)

6. Would it be better if incorporated maybe 2 more meals when im working, seeing how im working 12 hours?

7. How much protein intake should I have pre and post workout?

8. Where can I find Dextrose? And how much to take and when is the best time to take that pre/post

I thinks thats it for now. Plzz remember before you post that Im very new and I know Ive read a lot of this but Im just confusing my self for trying to take in to much info at once.

height: 5'10 weight around 185-187 with clothes on
BF%- Unknown i would have to say 30-35 %
My goal- 205-210

Built
12-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Ok, Im new to all this but have read most of the stickys and alot of the posts/replies (so if all this that I write is in the wrong thread Im sorry plzzz move to proper thread) but im still confused about a few things, Ill try to elborate on most. Another thing is Ive never worked out so Im trying to get more knowlegable before going and doing things right the first time out.

What Im trying to do is bulk and then after reaching my goal Id like to cut.
I work a 12hr swing shift, so im either on days or nights so my first question would be:

1. Is it better to workout after I get out of work?
Up to you. I like to train after eating all day.

2. What are the best carbs to have pre-workout? What are the best carbs post workout? I know Ive read about it but with all the info. Ive read Im just confusing the s*%$ out of myself?
Don't overthink it.

ANY carb before is fine. Immediately after, half dextrose and half maltodextrin (fast carb) with whey is ideal. Before you ask it, toss your creatine into this shake. 5g. Don't bother with loading.

3. How do I calculate how many calories I should have to bulk? to cut? and maintainence? Do I drop my calories when I cut or is it carbs?

Track your calories on www.fitday.com and if you aren't gaining and aren't losing, these are your maintenance calories. Start your bulk on 20% higher. Start your cut on 20% lower. Keep protein and fat high when you cut. Carbs can drop quite a bit. Keep them for the meal before and the meal after you lift when you're cutting.

4. Can I eat 1 tbl spoon of natty pb with every meal?
Sure. The diet police won't come and git ya'.

5. I have flax seed oil and fish oil that I bought from my local GNC, When is the best time to have these and how much? ( Proly what the recommened dosage is on the back of the bottle lol.)
I don't bother with flax, but anytime is a good time for oils, EXCEPT for immediately post workout. I weigh just under a buck forty, and I take 10g fish oil daily. You do the math for your body.

6. Would it be better if incorporated maybe 2 more meals when im working, seeing how im working 12 hours?
Just get in your calories.

7. How much protein intake should I have pre and post workout?
Pre - up to you.

Post: two scoops of whey (roughly 40g) with twice as much dextrose/maltodextrin is probably a good start. Dextrose and maltodextrin are sold at U-brews.

8. Where can I find Dextrose? And how much to take and when is the best time to take that pre/post

I thinks thats it for now. Plzz remember before you post that Im very new and I know Ive read a lot of this but Im just confusing my self for trying to take in to much info at once.

My goal- 205-210

Good luck, and don't overthink it.

putnuontilt
12-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Thanx Built,

Ive read some of your threads and alot of ur replies to other people and in one that I read said that if Built replied/posted in ur thread to just listen and do it she knows what shes talking about. So I feel kinda priveleged *blushes lol*. But really thanx alot it helped a ton. Ill prolly have more questions as i take more steps into a great journey but for now i think uve covered the basics for me. I still have 1 more question do u have a website for that U-Brews cause ive done a search on google and nothing, and I tryed to just go to U-Brews . com and still nothing. Thanx Built. O-yeah I forgot to give an age If that will help with anything.

My goal- 205-210
Age- 24

muscleup
12-20-2005, 07:07 AM
Dextrose is used sometimes in the fermentation of home made beers. (The anaerobic conversion of sugar to carbon dioxide and alcohol by yeast.) aka Putting the carbination in beer.

A U-Brew would be any type of store that sells beer making supplies or equipment.
Hence the name You Brew. :D

Not sure if there is an actual store called U-Brew, if that's what you were trying to google.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: There are some online dextrose suppliers in THIS Thread (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=71934&highlight=online+dextrose)

Bob
12-20-2005, 07:21 AM
One comment to add to Built's fine reply..

On #1.. depending upon what kind of job you have that requires 12 hour work days... working out before going to work may allow you to get better sleep... b/c if you work first, then w/o, then still try to get 7-8 hours of sleep (required for good bulking), you may not fall asleep efficiently... I know I can't go to bed within 5 hours of the end of my w/o because I am so pumped...

Also, are you working 12 hr days 7 days a week? Perhaps you can optimize those off-work days for working out?

PS.. I feel for you man.. many moons ago I had a similiar job requirement.. flipping between night & day shifts... and no matter what I did (working out and eating) I kept gaining bad weight (yes, fat), mostly because I couldn't control my body-clock.. once I was adjusted to one sleeping pattern, my shift changed... the best thing I did in my life (besides kids & marriage) was quit that job after 3 years.. I was lucky in that my employer had another position that was a typical 8-6 job.. I hope it works for you.