PDA

View Full Version : power snatch - getting the bar above

dissipate
12-20-2005, 08:15 AM
i've been practicing the snatch and clean & jerk, and have more problems 'shrugging' the bar up with snatch. at 30kg, i seem to be using a bit of my arms to get the bar above because i can't sort of shrug up the weight. with clean & jerk though, i have no problems getting the bar to my front delts.

what can i do to improve on the snatch?

MixmasterNash
12-20-2005, 08:27 AM
A power snatch is about bar speed more than any other olympic lift, in my opinion. Make the bar move faster, it will go higher.

Hercule
12-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Nash is right. Make sure that you are exploding up. However, you need to make sure your form is down. In all olympic lifts, there are so many successive actions going on in a such a short time that good technique is imperative. I would watch some videos and be sure that my form resembles what you are seeing, and after that is accomplished work on pulling the bar as fast as you can as you explode upwards and drop quickly.

greek_lifter
12-20-2005, 10:31 AM
i could swear that your form is not correct both in c&j and snatch... you are muscling it up....

learn the first pull, correctly.... squeeze the bar off the floor via knee extension with the shoulders above the bar and the angle of your back staying THE SAME with the ground until bar reaches knee height. first pull needs not to be fast or explosive. its not crucial for a sucessful lift but for proper setup for the double knee bend. without a double knee bend you will be muscling the bar up with your arms. ARMS ARE NOT USED IN OLYMPIC LIFTING AT ALL. REALIZE THE POWER OF YOUR LEGS.

when the bar passes the kneecap you ll want to bring your hips twoard causing a shifting of your knees under the bar putting you in an extremely biomechanical advnatageous position from which you can unleash BIG POWER... via an EXLOSIVE TRIPLE EXTENSION and shrugging (Aka jump and shrug while keeping your ARMS PERFECTLY STRAIGHT, still!! yes still!! if you bend your elbows prematurely your are robbing your powerful thighs and hips great power! only afer the jump and shurg is finished you will quickly jump under the bar pulling your self under to be exact rotating your elbows as fast as possible to a deep front squat or to a deep overhead squat.a clean or a snatch is a powerclean or a powersnatch. yes exactly. but when attempting a clean or a snatch the weight's heavier forcing you to jump at a lower squat position to receive the weight. nothing more nothing less. plus the timing forthe full version must be more exact.

video yourself post a video here in the forum. make sure you are not exhibiting an early arm bend. make sure you explode UP after the bar passes the knees and make sure you have the flexibility for an overhead squat.

khari
12-20-2005, 11:17 AM
^There is no jumping under the bar in a power snatch.

dissipate
12-21-2005, 07:00 AM
thanks for the tips! i thought it was due to my traps not being powerful enough but i'll try and go faster.

and there is no jumping under the bar?

khari
12-21-2005, 08:17 AM
thanks for the tips! i thought it was due to my traps not being powerful enough but i'll try and go faster.

and there is no jumping under the bar?

A power snatch should be caught with minimal knee bend, as opposed to a squat snatch which is caught in the full overhead squat position.

debussy
12-21-2005, 11:41 AM
double knee bend is so hard to get... i need more practice :cry:

greek_lifter
12-21-2005, 11:53 AM
lol its extremely easy. BUT you can't think about it during the movement!!.. get your first pull right and the shifting of your knees under the barbell will happen AUTOMATICALLY

dissipate
12-21-2005, 08:26 PM
what's the difference between a double knee bend and single knee bend? i've never watched a video or read material that has described this.

Sensei
12-22-2005, 05:16 AM
What the hell is a single knee bend?

debussy
12-22-2005, 11:07 AM
lol its extremely easy. BUT you can't think about it during the movement!!.. get your first pull right and the shifting of your knees under the barbell will happen AUTOMATICALLY

Greek... thanks for the advice. Starting the first pull... I'm definitely lifting with the legs and keep the back angle at the same position. I also make sure to keep the shoulders over the bar. However, do I want a more upright or somewhat bent over back angle? Seems like being bent over will get me in a better position for dkb.

PowerManDL
12-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Good stuff here:

http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2272