PDA

View Full Version : Help for brother

Devilpup
12-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Here's the situation. My brother is home for Christmas. He's over weight, and has been for a few years, ever since the end of his Senior year in High School. He's 22 now.

He wants to lose the fat, and my Dad and I are on his butt about it. What would be a good diet for a person who needs to lose 40-50 lbs. He's 73-74 inches. He's taking this next semester of college off to work and exercise and lose the weight. So, he'll have plenty of time to hit the gym.

I figured he should go on a high protein diet, and take a multi vitamin and mineral pill to supplement any lost goodies the body needs.

The diet would go something like this

Breakfast
some sort of meat, 2 eggs, grapefruit juice

Lunch
salad, some meat, grapefruit juice

Dinner
meat and vegetables, grapefruit juice

The reason I say grapefruit juice is because I've heard it has a chemical in it that helps with weight loss.
Now, how much should he eat? Should he eat so he's completely full and doesn't get hungry until the next meal? Or should he eat a little bit, so he's hungry about an hour or so before the next meal. No matter what how much he eats, should he eat a piece of fruit or bread right before he exercises, so he has some energy, unless he eats a meal right before he lifts?

As far as exercise, we figure it'd be best for him to diet and do cardio. So, to get the point and make it simple, what would be a good diet and cardio routine for my brother. We have one figured out ( diet and do cardio 30 minutes a day, 3-5 times a week, simple as that ), but suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, I told him that he should wear a sweater and sweatpants when he workouts out, to make him hotter which will make hime sweat more? Good idea? And, he figures he'll drink a bottle of water 15 minutes prior to working out, we've been told thats a good thing to do? Whats your opinion about that? Ofcourse he'll drink more if he gets to feeling dizzy.

Thanks.

KingWilder
12-21-2005, 01:06 PM
5-6 small meals a day would be better than only 3...it'll keep his metabolism going throughout the whole day

also I would recommend doing weights, because it builds muscle and muscle essentially burns fat

ShockBoxer
12-21-2005, 01:12 PM
I would recommend building muscle so that if anyone gets on his ass about losing weight he can throw them through a wall. :)

step 1) www.fitday.com every day for the rest of his life
step 2) After a week of tracking what he eats and weighs while doing it you'll have a more accurate idea of what is going on. Post the results here. Better yet, have your brother post his results here.
step 3) listen to advice offered at that point
step 4) live in fear of your brother as he starts with a massive muscle base and builds on it as he leans out and becomes able to throw you through a wall.

Bob
12-21-2005, 01:20 PM
First thing... you and your Dad get off his A@@!!!
It can be the biggest downer for anyone when the pressure is applied...

Instead, become supportive of his effort.. ANY effort... or better yet, do it with him and help him.. be his spotter, his trainer, his supporter, his friend.
Don't put him down if he cheats on his diet.. perhaps make a recommendation for a healthier snack or a smaller portion...

With that said...

Have him start with the WBB1 lifting programs..
Have him start monitoring his diet on a daily basis..
Don't cut them too much.. you don't mention his current weight, but you need to do the calculation to lose the weight slowly..
Yes, do cardio - but make it low-impact and consistant for the beginning - not everyone is a runner, or ellipitical type person... but he can walk.. 5 days, 30 mins walking is a good start..
Perhaps you shouldn't monitor his weight as monitor his size.. he may lose a lot of inches my losing fat and gaining muscle.. but stay the same weight...
And as Kind says.. 5-6 meals a day..
Add some supplements too... especially Fish Oils, Flax seed and Green Tea..
And lastly, do some fun stuff with him.. does his like Basketball, Roller Skating, something that will get his blood flowing?? These are good substitutes for cardio.. but great for adding onto Cardio..

Support him!!!

Unreal
12-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Honestly, as someone who was overweight (300+ lbs), people riding you and bugging you doesn't do anything buy piss you off. When he wants to lose the weight, he will learn what he needs to do. In fact, I think all fat people know what they need to do. Eat less, and move more. When he decides its time to lose weight, he do this.

Ditch the juice. In fact, if he wants to lose weight, ditch ALL liquid calories. No non-diet soda, lemonade, sugared tea, sugared coffee, etc.

Built
12-21-2005, 02:32 PM
<looks up, sees excellent advice, smiles, slips out ...>

Devilpup
12-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Got it. We weren't screwin' with him about it. We were just advising him that he's young and needs to lose the weight. Right now, I am guessing, but I'd say he's 270-275. So, he has a good 50 lbs to lose. I'll get him on here, he's sitting 5 feet away from me right now. And, right now he can't run, he tweeked a muscle in his back hardcore, once he gets it stretched out and working again he can and he will.

I'll give fitday and WBB1 workouts a look and report back.
Thanks.

Devilpup
12-21-2005, 03:13 PM
Where is those Wbb1 workouts?
Thanks.

KingWilder
12-21-2005, 03:22 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/category.php?cat=4

Built
12-21-2005, 04:19 PM
No worries about the running. He doesn't need to do cardio to achieve his goals.

Devilpup
12-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Okay, he and I just signed up on fitday.com. We'll continue to do that. And I got him on here, he's rpl.
Thanks for the help.

Built
12-21-2005, 04:47 PM
I just replied to him.

You're a good brother. :)