PDA

View Full Version : Question about making cottage cheese

crazyaoshi
12-21-2005, 11:20 PM
OK, so there is no real cottage cheese for sale where I live, but I like the taste so I think I'm going to make my own. I got some skim milk and vinegar and from how I understand it, you gently boil the milk and add a couple spoons of vinegar and it should all clump up. Then you drain the water, rinse the curds and you get cottage cheese.

Has anyone ever tried this? Did it work?

I know the protein stays, weightlifters love cottage cheese for its protein. But what happens to the carbs from the milk? Are they consumed by the vinegar? I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the calories.

Plus if anyone has any ideas to make it more tasty while making it, like a pinch of salt or spoon of oil or something, please post.

Thanks for any info.

crazyaoshi
12-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Well no one replied so far so I went ahead and did it myself. I thought the worst case is I waste about $1 of milk and some time and make a mess. But it is possible to make cottage cheese at home [hence the name?]. I spent about 20 minutes, 500ml of skim milk and 3 teaspoons of vinegar and got about 100g of large curd cottage cheese, which tasted fine. Anyway, that was merely a trial, it's not an efficient use of time IMHO for 100g of cottage cheese, I'll try with more milk next time.

I still can't say what happens to the lactose. I want to believe at least some of it is consumed by the vinegar, judgind from the nutrition information of 100g milk [5g carbs] vs that of 100g cottage cheese [2g].

Built
12-28-2005, 05:45 PM
That's not cottage cheese - that's paneer! LOL! You need rennet for cottage cheese.

crazyaoshi
12-28-2005, 07:55 PM
How are they different? What is paneer? Where can you buy rennet? Whatever I made last night tasted tasted alright and I don't feel sick.

Built
12-29-2005, 12:44 AM
No - it's fine! Paneer is an Indian food.

Rennet is an enzyme from the stomach.

BRD
12-29-2005, 04:10 AM
heres a link on how to make cottage cheese http://mi.essortment.com/makecottageche_rloh.htm