PDA

View Full Version : question about eating apples.

Sexyboy
12-22-2005, 07:27 PM
okay i eat a lot of apples,i probably eat about 4 or 5 a day. The other day i was looking at the apple facts behind the bag, and it said 1 apple = 16 grams of sugar. I was wondering, is eating 4 apples a day too much? Oh yeah and 1 more question, how many grams of sugar should i intake a day?

Unreal
12-22-2005, 07:30 PM
As long as it fits in your caloric needs, its fine. If your trying to lose weight though, thats ALOT of calories just in apples.

Slim Schaedle
12-23-2005, 02:54 AM
how many grams of sugar should i intake a day?
There is no set limit.

Mercuryblade
12-27-2005, 02:31 AM
One thing that you will learn after being around these boards for awhile is that sugars aren't all the same, fats aren't all the same, and carbohydrates aren't all the same. The sugar that is in an apple isn't the same sugar that is present in a bag of cane sugar. Without going into a lengthy discussion that isn't already all over these boards, eat as much fruit as you want, drink as much juice (juice without any additives like high fructose corn syrup or evaporated cane juice), don't worry about it.
That and apples aren't exactly a great source of calories as they take quite a bit of calories to digest.

Slim Schaedle
12-27-2005, 11:30 AM
Without going into a lengthy discussion that isn't already all over these boards, eat as much fruit as you want, drink as much juice (juice without any additives like high fructose corn syrup or evaporated cane juice), don't worry about it.Without knowing the original poster's goals, I am not sure that is the best advice

That and apples aren't exactly a great source of calories as they take quite a bit of calories to digest.???

Bruise Brubaker
12-27-2005, 02:57 PM
I'd say there should be some limitations to your fruit intake, as too much fructose can be bad, especially if taken all at once as there is a limit to what your intestines can absorb.

If all your taking as fruits are 5 apples, than you should vary your soruces of fruits. Apples are very healthy, they're not a great source of vitamins but they're rich in antioxidants such as quecertin and they have a high amount of malic acid (~700-800 mg per average apple), and they got fibers. Malic acid might have benefits in increasing ATP energy production. It is also tough to chelate (eliminate) aluminium, which can build-up in the brain, causing oxidative stress, and there are links between aluminium and alzheimer's disease.

Be sure to wash the skin carefully.

Mercuryblade
12-28-2005, 09:06 AM
???

Yeah, things take energy to digest, some foods more than others, who would've thought that our body requires some sort fuel to perform actions? Wierd.

Slim Schaedle
12-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Yeah, things take energy to digest, some foods more than others, who would've thought that our body requires some sort fuel to perform actions? Wierd.If that is an attempt to be sarcastic with me, you might want to rephrase your response and search through some of my posts because you will find that I am quite versed in biological processes as they relate to nutrition and the body.

I should have been more specific, but my "???" was a way of wanting you to shed a little light on the statement you made regarding apples requiring more energy to digest. For example: details, where you heard/read that.

gator
12-31-2005, 01:28 AM
I like eating an apple or fruit before I hit the gym. I dont like eating a meal before I go to the gym, I will sometimes feel sick during the end of my workout. So I usually eat a meal wait 2 hours eat an apple and hit the gym.

Bob
12-31-2005, 04:50 AM
Apples are OK...
The Fruit Juice is the killer... watch out how much you drink...
Contact Built... she can give you some great advice on the juice.. in fact she will probably tell to you to dump it down the drain and keep on eating the solid fruit..

Davidelmo
12-31-2005, 07:28 AM
You're meant to get 5 portions of fruit and veg a day but from different sources.

Why not have 1 apple and eat/drink 4 other sources of fruit. Grapes, plums etc are great!

Spartacus
01-03-2006, 12:52 AM
I'd say there should be some limitations to your fruit intake, as too much fructose can be bad, especially if taken all at once as there is a limit to what your intestines can absorb.

If all your taking as fruits are 5 apples, than you should vary your soruces of fruits. Apples are very healthy, they're not a great source of vitamins but they're rich in antioxidants such as quecertin and they have a high amount of malic acid (~700-800 mg per average apple), and they got fibers. Malic acid might have benefits in increasing ATP energy production. It is also tough to chelate (eliminate) aluminium, which can build-up in the brain, causing oxidative stress, and there are links between aluminium and alzheimer's disease.

Be sure to wash the skin carefully.

if your intestines don't absorb something, you'll know.

:fart:

i agree though it might be good to get a bit more variety, but if you are still getting some variety in fruits/vegetables its not a problem per se

javyn
01-03-2006, 02:12 AM
I'm sure eating 5 apples a day is good for you, not bad. I wouldn't worry about the amount of sugar since you are working out.....but damn, don't you get the runs????

Keep in mind I am not a doctor, but I do play one on TV