PDA

View Full Version : Is counting macro's really neccessary?

Mademan118
12-23-2005, 12:07 AM
Just wonderin how many of you count calorie for calorie, and every gram of protien. Who here just eats healthy to cut and bulk, but dont count every calorie?

smalls
12-23-2005, 12:53 AM
I used to not count cals and just tried to eat "good". I made about 2lbs of progress in over a year. I then decided to actually know what went into my body and have made consistent gains ever since.

Some people can do it without counting, most cant, and thus must count to ensure they are actually meeting their goals.

Built
12-23-2005, 01:03 AM
I got up to 170 lbs eating healthy. Ended up on type II diabetes meds.

I got down to 14% bodyfat this summer weighing my food.

Up to you.

Mademan118
12-23-2005, 01:23 AM
okay.. lol made up my mind.

JustLost
12-23-2005, 05:47 AM
I got up to 170 lbs eating healthy. Ended up on type II diabetes meds.

I got down to 14% bodyfat this summer weighing my food.

Up to you.

You, madam, have such a lovely way of cutting to the chase.

The measuring cup and the scale are the magical tools of body recomp.

HILL
12-23-2005, 06:08 AM
Personally i think having your diet on track and knowing exactly what you eat and how much et etc is the most important thing in bodybuilding

KingWilder
12-23-2005, 06:42 AM
I usually count every single freakin calories...but since it's the holidays and I'm bulking I'm on a break from fitday until after New Years

ShockBoxer
12-23-2005, 07:09 AM
:withstupi I'm tracking what I can but on days of work related parties... well...

There's no way I'm sitting by while everyone else chows down on frosted chocolate chip cookies, brownies, slices of yule log, home made stew, italian style meatballs, and nanaimo bars. I lost 38 lb this year... I've earned a dessert tray binge!

Davidelmo
12-23-2005, 07:25 AM
I count every single one.

Yes, it's essential.

If you don't count, how do you know if you're getting enough protein etc?

How do you know what works for you if you don't count? You need to know what your maintenance calories are in order to diet to gain or lose weight. You can't approximate this.

Unreal
12-23-2005, 07:31 AM
Almost nothing is neccessary. Do you have to bench to get big? No. Do you have to deadlift to get big? No. Do you have to squat to get big? No. Will doing the above get you to where you want to be MUCH faster, yes. You can drive from LA to NY without a map or any street signs, just driving around randomly you'll get there sooner or later, could be a few years. Isn't it easier with the correct info and a map to get you where you want to go? Isn't it nice to know your not wasting time? Does taking 5 minutes a day to ensure your hour of training isn't wasted really a waste of time, or is the hour you just blew for nothing because your diet isn't in check a waste of time?

Davidelmo
12-23-2005, 07:51 AM
Unreal is 100% right.

I even plan ahead what I'm going to eat.

Make sure it's ready and there's no problem. Once you have established a routine it's easy.

It also makes it harder to chicken out - "im not hungry" etc. If you already have it written down you HAVE to eat it, hehe

Paul Stagg
12-23-2005, 08:41 AM
Necessary? No. Frankly, your enery expenditure from day to day is too variable, as is the calculation of caloric content (do you make sure you get every little bit of tuna out of the can? Do you lick out the blender after making a shake?

Does that mean tracking it doesn't help? Certainly not. But you can do just fine traking some things over others.

It depends on your level of dedication, as well as the practicality of it all. For me, it's just not practical to track everything, and for my goals it' snot necessary. You might be just fine coming up with a protein intake goal, then general other goals. For me, I do this:
250g protein
5 serv veggies
2 serv fruit
And then come up with general rules, like limiting refined foods, eating only whole grains, that sort of thing.

Just like training, it's all about figuring out what works for you.

spencerjrus
12-23-2005, 08:46 AM
In my opinion, when bulking? Not really nescesarry. Cutting? I dont see how you could do it without counting.

SpecialK
12-23-2005, 10:24 AM
I always do it because I found that if I don't count, then I grossly overestimate how much I am eating, which obviously is not a good position to be in if you are trying to build muscle.

Holto
12-23-2005, 10:36 AM
I don't count cutting or bulking, however, I don't know if this would be possible without the years of counting, measuring, weighing.

I will say that eating super clean is critical for blind cutting. I lost over 70lbs without counting anything.

Built
12-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Do as little planning as you have to.

For me, "as little planning as I have to" means planning out, weighing, and packing a whole day's food in advance.

If you CAN get away with it by winging it, you should.

Paul Stagg
12-23-2005, 02:22 PM
One other point to note on goals: If I'm really trying to drop bodyfat, I have to be very strict - I really struggle if I don't get detailed, at least for a couple of weeks.

brickt.
12-23-2005, 02:45 PM
If I didn't count:

Whilst bulking, I couldn't ever gain, for fear off eating too much (Fat Gain)
Whilst cutting, I couldn't ever lose, for fear of eating too little (Muscle Loss)

spencerjrus
12-23-2005, 02:50 PM
Another thing I wanted to mention was guestimating your food. For exmaple, I know a glass of milk is 2 cups, or 300 calories,16g of protein. I know a big spoonfull of peanut butter is 2 tbsp. I know when I make a shake with ice cream, milk, pb, fruit and flax seeds that it comes out to roughly 1000 cals. I know how many cals in an average chicken breast. Just knowing the nutritional value of the food you eat most often can seriously help you keep track of how much you have eaten without tracking it closely or weighing/measuring everything.

Mademan118
12-24-2005, 12:33 AM
well i went onto fitday and have everything broken down. Im pretty good with staying with a deit once i get on it. I usually pick foods i like that are healthy.

Mademan118
12-24-2005, 12:35 AM
also i usually make all my chicken and potatoes on sunday and that lasts me week... Everything else i dont have to really cook on the stove, just put it together

Manveet
12-26-2005, 01:24 PM
I count everything (although I dont really care too much about macros because I end up eating the same foods day in day out).

SpecialK
12-26-2005, 06:13 PM
Another thing is once you get in the habit of entering stuff into fitday, you will start to memorize the macros and cals of various foods that you eat often, making it so you don't have to write every detail down at once. I have eaten oats, natural PB, whey, bananas, and milk so many times in a shake that I can just throw some stuff in the blender and know roughly how many cals it is. I will go back and add it all into fitday later though.

Sose
12-26-2005, 09:46 PM
im extremely anal when it comes to cutting. i get so absorbed that people who dont eat healthy turn me offffff and make me angry :@

Roddy
11-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Its drove me insance counting everyday... no i just check at random... never been disapointed with the numbers i have gotten. And i can use those days as a reference for when i'm picking what to eat