PDA

View Full Version : Fruit and Nuts

Raildog
03-03-2001, 08:29 AM
I usually have a piece of fruit a day, at breakfast, and maybe 2-3 ounces of nuts added to my meals, spread throughout the day.
Although nuts are higher in fat, I feel they add a fullness to the meal, if only you had a small portion.
Anyone else supplement their diet with some type of nut?
Raildog

Joe Black
03-03-2001, 08:37 AM
Yes, I use nuts to bump up the fat and protein content of meals 3,4 and 5......

Fruit I donlt really eat much of at all.. From what I am aware they have a fair bit of sugar in and are not considered a complex carb..

Depends on whether your goal is fat loss ? If it is I would restrict fruit..

YatesNightBlade
03-05-2001, 02:31 AM
I eat fruit right before my workout .......... well ..... maybe 20 minutes or so before. I like doing this as it ensures my energy levels and right up there and it gives me a mental boost.

the doc
03-05-2001, 06:48 AM
Yes, I take 2-3 servings of raw walnuts, pecans, etc. over the day. They have lots of fibre- little other carbs and 20g monounsat. per serving. They are also loaded w/ nutrients!

gino
03-05-2001, 08:35 AM
I find eating nuts to be a simple, effective way to increase daily caloric intake. I also like eating fruits, even when cutting. I find them to not effect my fat loss efforts and include them with nearly every meal. Like with every carb, consistancy is the key. Today, this is my friut intake:

Meal 1 - OJ (fresh squeezed)
Meal 2 - raisins (1/8-1/4 cup)
Meal 3 - banana
Meal 4 - orange
Meal 5 - no fruit
Meal 6 - grapes
Meal 7 - no fruit

That's a lot of fruit.

gary
03-06-2001, 02:41 PM
Nuts are very good for bulking phase. During cutting they can be taken in limited quantities.

Sugars are bad only if they raise your insulin levels and cause blood sugar crash. Fruits (except may be banana) have lots of fiber which slows down the release of sugar to the blood stream. Thus preventing insulin rise or crash. Fructose is low GI anyway. Apart from being good source of vitamins, minerals, fiber and phytochemicals, many fruits are low in calories & high in water content. They make you full without adding too many calories. These fruits can be categorized as high thermic food (thermogenic). Good for cutting.

I always add fruits to protein shakes. Eg. Strawberry, grapes & banana.