PDA

View Full Version : Grappling my Instructor

Chubrock
12-27-2005, 07:51 AM
Well here is a fairly large file (57mb) of me grappling my instructor. I figured I'd test out my new camera and take some video. I get dominated obviously and eventually lose by clock choke. All comments are welcome, and hell if you see something I did wrong, let me know.

Just click on the link and let the timer run out and then click on the download option. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RMK7JEMD

d'Anconia
12-27-2005, 02:16 PM
Dude... 57MB just ain't happening on my wireless connection.

Anthony
12-27-2005, 02:20 PM
Oh, this should be good ... hehehehehe

The site is super slow ... it will be awhile. I'm going to make some food.

Chubrock
12-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Sorry Fatrb. I just uploaded them straight from my camera. I have no clue how to compress **** or if there's anyway to make the file smaller. Hell I've got a 180mb 11min clip of me grappling if anybody (Anthony?) is interested.

Haha and yes Anthony, you'll enjoy me getting my ass beat. Let me know what ya think though. Anything you see that was blatantly wrong or what not. Didn't realize megaupload.com was so slow, my fault guys.

Davidelmo
12-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Wow, thats a lot of popups on that site.

It's also slow as hell.

I'll get back to you!

I dont know anything about wrestling, but this should be good!

Anthony
12-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Okay, finally downloaded. Damn that site is slow.

No wonder you can roll for 3 hours, you look like old people on the mat! Hahaha! A couple of things I noticed ... keep in mind I am not a pro and only speaking based on what I do on the mat ... it could be way off. You did a lot of things right, but I'll mostly comment on what I would have done differently - so don't be offended, biatch.

In the beginning when he was waiting to suck you into guard, you pushed his knee out. I'm not sure why since it keeps his guard open. Push down and in to get his legs flat and together so you can take mount or side mount. Oh, I forgot to mention - there's a pressure point on the inside of the thigh. If you dig your fist or elbow into this, their instinct will be to shoot their leg out straight which gives you time to take mount.

I also noticed you kept a lot of space between you two. Not a bad idea if you want to strike, but since you're not striking, smother him! Use your weight to your advantage and make him work harder.

You don't seem to move around with your legs and hips enough. Everything is focused on hands/grip/gi's ... gain advantage by using your legs and hips to move laterally and if he catches you, switch directions. Don't do it too much, but make him work.

Around 1:04, you could have taken side mount pretty easily. Bring your left leg up and over his right leg and use your your right hip/thigh to land on his right leg. Quickly move from there into side mount. If you can work from there, keep it. If not, immediately go for mount while he's still reacting to you taking side. You probably could have taken side again around 1:34.

I notice he likes to use the gi to control you. I roll with a few people who do that too. At first my instinct was to stop them, but they mostly used it for distraction and when I ignore it, they don't do much with it anyway. If they don't have a dominating position, holding my gi will not get them a sub.

After the skirmish at 1:55, you should have brought your knees forward and instead of letting him pull you face down. Probably easier said then done, but it would have left you in guard instead of him taking your back.

At 2:43 he takes mount by pushing your knee down and in. Good stuff. But he's staying pretty upright and it looked like you had plenty of time to work your bridge and roll him. I'm not sure what you were doing with your hands, but you if they were free, you could have wrapped them around his hips, bridged over one shoulder, and rolled him. If you're fast, you can take mount, but worst case scenario you end up in guard or half mount. Overall I think you could work your bridge to be stronger.

Great vid bro. If you have msn and want to send me the 180mb, I'd be glad to view it.

SpecialK
12-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Sorry Fatrb. I just uploaded them straight from my camera. I have no clue how to compress **** or if there's anyway to make the file smaller. Hell I've got a 180mb 11min clip of me grappling if anybody (Anthony?) is interested.

Haha and yes Anthony, you'll enjoy me getting my ass beat. Let me know what ya think though. Anything you see that was blatantly wrong or what not. Didn't realize megaupload.com was so slow, my fault guys.

If you are running windows XP you can just use windows movie maker, it's included by default. It does a good job at compressing and most of the quality is retained.

Chubrock
12-27-2005, 10:56 PM
Damn Anthony. You just wrote a book in response to my clip. What the hell you gonna do when I email you other clips lol. I suppose I'll respond with a couple of comments/explanations.

You're right, we do roll slow as hell. I suppose it seems REALLY slow to you, as ya'll get stood up after staying in the same spot for X amt of seconds.

I've been trying to figure a way past his legs, but I can't. I pin his legs together, and he sweeps me. I let his guard stays open, he sweeps me. Haha I can't do anything. I suppose that's why he's my instructor. Also I'm not grappling dirty with him haha. Just makes the armbars hurt that much more.

The reason I focus on his grabbing of the gi, is that he works a pretty mean spider guard. I can't deal with it, so I try not to let him gain any control on my gi at all.

Yea I was already off balance when he pulled me forward. I couldn't have gotten my knees up under me to save my life haha.

I do need to work on my bridging. If I come close to getting him rolled, he switches to the Vale Tudo mount and works from there. I can't really do much with him. I try to work his legs and escape to half guard, but that wasn't happening that time.

Anthony
12-28-2005, 06:30 AM
Using your elbow on the inside of his thigh isn't dirty, it's effective and completely legal - as long as you don't strike and just push. ;) And you don't have to pin both legs together. Work on getting half mount by passing one leg. Then use that leg to help get the other leg free. If your left leg passed, place your left foot on his right thigh and as you push on his thigh, pull your right leg out. Do it fast or he'll sweep.

Has he subbed you in spider guard or just controlled you? I still think you should close the distance and smother him. Not only will it wear him out, but you'll have a better chance at passing his guard.

I doubt I'll write a book on your other clips, it takes too damn long. :p

Teufelhund
12-28-2005, 07:15 AM
:eek:
All this talk of domination and mounting and subs... *fans face* Wooo!

I had NO IDEA wrestling was so fascinating...

LOL, just kidding. Well kind of. I actually didn't realize wrestling was so strategy oriented. Seems like its more like sweaty chess than the brute strength contest I imagined. Its neat.

You may continue.

Chubrock
12-28-2005, 07:15 AM
Haha big dawg, I shoulda specified for those who weren't downloading the clip, that this is BJJ.

I'll have to try getting into his half guard and passing that next time I roll. I've got several clips of us grappling tonight so I'll throw a couple your way. They're kind big though, so how much room you got in your MSN mailbox haha.

The thing with a spider guard is that you can't move forward or go backwards at all. Once his spiderguard is in place, he effectively has entire control over my bodyweight. There are numerous triangles, armbars and omoplatas from the spider guard, so I try my best to stay out of it. He usually starts it out by gaining control of one arm and allowing me to halfway pass his guard, where he then jumps his feet to my hips and works for the other sleeve. It's very effective, as once its sunk in there really is nothing I can do, but hope for a sweep and roll out of it.

Skinny_DiezeL
01-06-2006, 11:13 PM
holy hell. its slow on roadrunner. wow.

where does team fear train out of? i trained with jimmy blann (full contact kb) for about a year, and am training with jeff mullen (ufc judge) at team mid south (coming up on 2 and a half years with jeff, training freestyle.) it becomes an addiction..lol..

*taps fingers* oh well..i'm gonna check out other threads while i wait for this thing to dnld.

Skinny_DiezeL
01-07-2006, 12:08 AM
you have good basic technique, work on aggression more. as far as the spider guard, grab his ankles and move his legs to either side , and work on side control, taking the back (whichever way he ends up). sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. depends on the matchups, lol. definitely agree with anthony on smothering and using your hips more. but you have the right idea when he takes your back, protect the neck and turn into him. you can find dvds on different guards, techniques, online or at martial arts stores, if you know where to look. definitely reccomend gracie (of course), machado, or eddie bravo (bravo works on wrestling though. sometimes different schools blend styles, techniques.) post vids of progress..lol.

Chubrock
01-08-2006, 07:23 AM
Fear Systems is out of South Eastern NC. We've picked up the pace a bit as we've gone to preparing full speed from stand up. Alot of the every day grappling we do is done at half pace/no strength used. Everybody pretty much feels that if you can pull it off without using your strength, then when you have the ability to use your strength, you'll be that much more techniqe savy. My strength and conditioning will eventually go as fights progress, but I've gotta bank on being able to pull off these submissions when I'm tired and my muscular endurance is shot.

As far as the spider guard goes, once he has control of the sleeves of the gi, he transfers to the hips and then to the biceps. As soon as he transfers to the hips, he takes my ability away to use arms.

Thanks for watching the video man and thanks for the comments. I'll post some more action packed video if ya'll want. Anybody got a good idea of where to upload the vid to?

dw06wu
01-08-2006, 12:42 PM
theres a program called virtualdub, its free, you can use it to encode divx avi, it should redeuce the size of that vid to like 8mb. It's real easy to use, too.

Maki Riddington
01-08-2006, 11:52 PM
I'm looking forward to watching it. I wish more people posted clips of their MA's here.

You won't see any comments from, I tend to keep my mouth shut as I'm a low rank in both MA's I train in.

Chubrock
01-09-2006, 06:49 AM
Haha thanks Mak. The one you're downloading is just slow grappling, from the knees, nothing fast paced. I may post some better clips today though tho. They'll be long downloads again, as I've gotta find somewhere better to upload them to, or figure out how to compress these .mov files.

Chubrock
01-09-2006, 10:32 AM
I hate to use megaupload again, but until I can find a free piece or at least cheap piece of software to compress these .mov files, I'll be stuck using it. I suggest viewing either this clip, or the clip I'll be posting shortly, as they are both much faster paced than the clip above. They are both big files and about 5min in length each.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=12NZSE9R

Chubrock
01-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Here's the other clip- http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UCETYIHD

Anthony
01-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Cool, I'll grab these after I get back from the gym.

Chubrock
01-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Awesome bro. Throw me some comments up here and let me know whatcha think. I don't think you've seen either of these yet.

Skinny_DiezeL
01-09-2006, 04:00 PM
are you training for bjj or mma? if you're training for mma, there's a couple of things you wanna know:

1. cardio--i cant stress this enough. my trainer says the only thing you have control of in a fight is who comes better prepared as far as cardio. strength, mental, experience, etc. everything else is a coin toss. you can always be the guy in better shape if you bust your ass.

2. TAKEDOWN DEFENSE--lol. slams hurt. like a mofo. they hurt worse if you're gassed (refer to rule number 1). it only took me getting my wind lost to a slam once before i started studying defenses. also keeps you from being on the back, which is someplace you dont want to be in mma.

3. Learn to fight without a gi--if you're studying mma, then learn to grapple/ takedown/ strike, without a gi. when you train for so long with a gi, and you fight without one, you start looking for handles you cant grab. the only time you see people wearing gis in mma is traditional vale tudo matches (i'm not sure even they were them anymore.) and those matches are hard to find in the states.

4. study as much as you can-- all the athletes in mma today are crosstraining, developing hybrid styles. because everybody has their own style, you dont know what you're going to fight against. study wrestling, bjj, muaythai, boxing, judo, etc. to round out your game. even the smallest holes can be used against you.

5. never go into a fight you're unprepared for-- the mental/ emotional preparation for fighting is one of the more important values a fighter can have. entering a fight you're not right for, dont have experience for, can be detrimental. all the strength and technique dont mean anything unless you're confident enough to use them.

6. watch out for ego-- try not to get a big head. ego kills fighters. when you're at the top everybody wants to beat you. when you're at the top and you disrespect people/ get full of yourself, everybody wants to kill you. i hate to say it because i'm a huge fan of his, but look at ali. one of the most dangerous fighters in the world ends up with altheimerz. i'm not saying that what he did to people caused it, but you can never be positive.

lol..sorry about that, i get a little obsessed with my fighting. if your trainer is interested in getting fights for his guys, my trainer promotes mixed cards (several styles) here in memphis (strictly amateur). you can send me a private msg and i'll give you my trainers email to give to your trainer. lol. we usually put on a decent show.

let me know man, fixing to download the new clips now.

Chubrock
01-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Thanks man. I'm into pure BJJ at this point, but thanks for downloading the clips and commenting.

Utopianhopes
01-09-2006, 08:06 PM
I was finally able to see the first one, good stuff.

I can't comment much as I am a beginner. You might want to check out Bas Rutten extreme pancrase video. It is what I am going by learning submission at the moment (broke college student, mostly just broke).

Chubrock
01-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks man. Check out the other clips, they are MUCH better.

Utopianhopes
01-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Saw the two videos. You were right they are way better. Hey, for next time. IMHO, I would recommend learning how to do proper take downs, arm bar from guard and mount position, kimora from side mount position, and smoothering.

Overall I enjoyed watching the videos. Hope you post more, like to see your progress.

Anthony
01-11-2006, 09:54 AM
I forgot to update this with my comments. Guess you'll have to wait, tough guy.

Chubrock
01-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Utopian- Thanks man. I know a fair share of takedowns, but because we train together so much, both of us know what the other is thinking of, so it makes it really hard to get anything done quickly. As far as from the guard, I'll probably always look to some chokes first, just because if I miss them, I haven't lost any position. I do need to work on them though.

Midget- Get to commenting!!! haha

Utopianhopes
01-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Utopian- Thanks man. I know a fair share of takedowns, but because we train together so much, both of us know what the other is thinking of, so it makes it really hard to get anything done quickly. As far as from the guard, I'll probably always look to some chokes first, just because if I miss them, I haven't lost any position. I do need to work on them though.

The reason I said arm bar because it was quite easy to learn and hit for me. I have missed it up, but it leaves me in a position that we both lead to standing.

http://www.umich.edu/~armbar/armbar_guard/

Edit: Found a good example of how to hit an armbar from guard.

Chubrock
01-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Yea the armbar is def. a viable option, and one that I've used in the past. I just don't really like using it at this point, because if you miss it, you often get passed, which leads to not only being down 3 points, but losing position as well.

Utopianhopes
01-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Yea the armbar is def. a viable option, and one that I've used in the past. I just don't really like using it at this point, because if you miss it, you often get passed, which leads to not only being down 3 points, but losing position as well.

Awesome, you gotta start showing some videos of you kicking some arse..lol