PDA

View Full Version : Hand size question?

WBBIRL
12-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Is hand size directly correlated to hand strength, and/or your potential hand strength?????

I have VERY small hand, (mostly its the fingers that are small) and it seems like I dont get good grip on an Oly bar when Im doing shrugs or something. I was doing static holds with 90LB DB's in each hand for 20 seconds and it just felt like after 5 that the battle was going downhill quick. I cant completely shut my hand around a DB handle, its close but I cant.

Will this hurt my grip performance, is it something that I can make up for by training it hard?????

MixmasterNash
12-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Is hand size directly correlated to hand strength, and/or your potential hand strength?????

Definately correlated with potential.

Not much you can do... except make them stronger. So, work with grippers, use thick bars, etc.

WBBIRL
12-28-2005, 04:26 PM
That sucks, thanks for the answer though. I mean its not like I want to get FREAK strong or anything... I dont ever see myself deadlifting enough to where it would matter.

Patz
12-28-2005, 04:32 PM
I haven't been limited by my grip yet, and I bet I've got the smallest hands (and thickness of fingers) on WBB.

On the plus side, my hands are growing wings..lol

WBBIRL
12-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Well, I've never been into your journal.... but no offense your not lifting very serious weights. I want to know how bad I will be limited once I start deadlifting in the 500+LB range... that and overall handstrength is a concern for me right now. I do remember Deadlifting 415LBS or so for one rep in 8th or 9th grade on a hex bar with little hand grip issues.

MixmasterNash
12-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Well, I've never been into your journal.... but no offense your not lifting very serious weights. I want to know how bad I will be limited once I start deadlifting in the 500+LB range... that and overall handstrength is a concern for me right now. I do remember Deadlifting 415LBS or so for one rep in 8th or 9th grade on a hex bar with little hand grip issues.

A hex/trap bar with opposing handles is VERY easy to grip because the bar has no desire to rotate. Keep that in mind for grip purposes. It may mean that that is a good way to train your other muscles with high reps, but it also means that it is a bad way to improve grip.

Also, a relatively weaker grip will probably be more of a limitation for high rep work versus heavy low rep work.

I recommend thick bar training and static holds/farmers to bring up bar gripping strength the fastest. And chalk. It's magic.

WBBIRL
12-28-2005, 05:26 PM
Yea, that and if all else fails theres always straps.

Adam
12-28-2005, 06:02 PM
I've got tiny hands too, but i've always had a decent isometric grip strength.
With tiny hands it is a major disadvantage when it comes to crushing strength(like grippers) but static strength can get crazy strong. Just have to practise static holds with a BB. load it up wicked heavy(dead max or greater) and hold it as long as you can. I'll give ya a warning. doing this will rip your hands to shreads at first.
biggest helper you can get is chalk. DON'T use a lot! if you do the bar will semi slip from your hasnd yet grip the skin at the same time. massive tearing.
IMO if you want to have static grip strength do BB holds for 4-8 seconds.

Sensei
12-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Well, I've never been into your journal.... but no offense your not lifting very serious weights. I want to know how bad I will be limited once I start deadlifting in the 500+LB range... that and overall handstrength is a concern for me right now. I do remember Deadlifting 415LBS or so for one rep in 8th or 9th grade on a hex bar with little hand grip issues.That's pretty harsh... Seems to me he's lifting weights pretty comparable to you right now. Why don't you start deadlifting in the 500 range first and then act so cocky?

kpd
12-28-2005, 07:30 PM
try an opposing grip as well... maybe that will help. I have small hands as well, but just keep working at it.

WBBIRL
12-28-2005, 08:19 PM
That's pretty harsh... Seems to me he's lifting weights pretty comparable to you right now. Why don't you start deadlifting in the 500 range first and then act so cocky?

Some things to remember:

I may be 315lbs, but at best im 200lbs of LBM.

I have only lifted consitantly from about July of last year to June of this past year.

My strength now, is only about 50ish % of what it was a year ago.

I said even before I said that, that I meant no offense and from his sig those weights arn't very heavy at all. I have never been in his journal and I wasn't trying to dis him.

I have deadlifted and squatted well over 400LBS before, atleast 3 years ago.

Apart from all of that 500lbs is no big ****ing deal, your right. But 700-900 would be and I would hope to get there someday... want to prepare now so im not held back by something so stupid as grip strength.

AND just to spell it out, I meant no disrespect to mrelwooddowd nor did I try to make little of his strength.

dw06wu
12-28-2005, 08:42 PM
ok dont turn this into a big e-cock swinging match

anyways, my vote goes to thick bar deads/holds. To answer your question, yes, long fingers really really help grip strength, and short fingers can be sort of a disadvantage. Like adam said, chalk is your friend.

WBBIRL
12-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Its alright, I've decided I wont let it hold me back.. case closed. Thanks for the advice and tips everyone.

Sensei
12-28-2005, 11:01 PM
I said even before I said that, that I meant no offense and from his sig those weights arn't very heavy at all. I have never been in his journal and I wasn't trying to dis him.

AND just to spell it out, I meant no disrespect to mrelwooddowd nor did I try to make little of his strength.I don't care how much you lift now or how much you lifted three years ago. I'm sure mrelwooddowd couldn't care less about your opinion of his lifts, but as a general rule, any statement that begins with "No offense but..." is going to be offensive...

As far as your hands go, I really wonder what diameter DBs you are using. Unless you have abnormally small hands for someone of your height, you should be able to wrap your hands completely around most DBs.

Hand size, of course, makes a huge difference, but there are a lot of great deadlifters of average hand size. Unless your grip is crazy weak, it should not be something you need to worry about at this stage.

BIGSAM
12-29-2005, 06:53 AM
You know what they say about a guy with small hands??

HILL
12-29-2005, 07:09 AM
I have the same problem and im going to start working on my grip 2night. the gym i train in has cheaper bars and their much biger and hollow were as the david lloyds i was training at a month or so ago and thick solid bars whioch wernt so big. i pulled a 396 which was a personal record for me for 2 and think i could have gone heavier and was repping 330 for 8 easily. when i got back to my gym i struggle with 330 for 6 as my grip keeps failing due to the bars being bigger even with straps so i am going to work on my grip strength and hope this helps.

Adam
12-29-2005, 09:57 AM
You know what they say about a guy with small hands??

He wear's small gloves? :windup:

Sensei
12-29-2005, 11:33 AM
I have the same problem and im going to start working on my grip 2night. the gym i train in has cheaper bars and their much biger and hollow were as the david lloyds i was training at a month or so ago and thick solid bars whioch wernt so big. i pulled a 396 which was a personal record for me for 2 and think i could have gone heavier and was repping 330 for 8 easily. when i got back to my gym i struggle with 330 for 6 as my grip keeps failing due to the bars being bigger even with straps so i am going to work on my grip strength and hope this helps.
Most olympic bars are going to be either 1 and 1/4inch diameter or 1 and 1/8inch diameter. It really does make a big difference when you are doing reps or hitting high %s of your 1RM. Another reason I don't like doing higher rep sets w. deadlifts.

Patz
12-29-2005, 05:07 PM
I didn't take offense, alhtough I think "serious" weight is a relative term. I truly realized that while watching a guy my size struggle with 80lb barbell incline bench presses the other day.

I've pulled 300 for 10 reps with these hands, and the 335 I pulled was while on carb depletion. I'm quite positive I can pull 405. We'll see in a few weeks when I've been consistent in the gym again. I was only making the point that, although I doubt ANYONE on this forum has hands smaller than mine (just under 7 inches from base of palm to tip of middle finger, and my fingers are probably less than 2 inches around at the thickest point), my grip still has managed to either keep up with, or even out-shine my back strength as I've progressed along.

I'm sure it'd be better if I had hands like ham-hocks, but this is why straps are around when I decide to use them. People are too quick to give up on grip, when it'll show up REALLY quick if you give it a chance. I remember being really perturbed one night because my hands repeatedly opened up as I tried for a 300lb deadlift. Just a month later, I pulled it 10 times in about 2 minutes and it was MY BACK that told me to stop repping..not my tiny hands.

Canadian Crippler
12-29-2005, 05:59 PM
Some things to remember:

I may be 315lbs, but at best im 200lbs of LBM.

I have only lifted consitantly from about July of last year to June of this past year.

My strength now, is only about 50ish % of what it was a year ago.

I have deadlifted and squatted well over 400LBS before, atleast 3 years ago.

Apart from all of that 500lbs is no big ****ing deal, your right. But 700-900 would be and I would hope to get there someday... want to prepare now so im not held back by something so stupid as grip strength.

AND just to spell it out, I meant no disrespect to mrelwooddowd nor did I try to make little of his strength.Well, you've been on here for 8 months now and are still no where close to putting up those types of numbers. I really don't think grip is the #1 problem you should be looking into right now. No offence.

RickTheDestroyer
12-29-2005, 06:20 PM
I doubt ANYONE on this forum has hands smaller than mine (just under 7 inches from base of palm to tip of middle finger, and my fingers are probably less than 2 inches around at the thickest point)

Wow you really do have tiny hands...

Much like many other threads, I have nothing constructive to add. :birthday:

WBBIRL
12-29-2005, 08:34 PM
Well my hands are bigger then yours mrelwooddowd, but not by much. My hands measure about 7 1/2 from tip of finger to palm and finger are about 3 inches around.

@CC

I may have been on this board for 8 months, but you have to remember that 4 of those were spent not lifting. The other 4 were the last 4 months of my first real attempt at lifting in the past 4 years.

@sensi

I can close my hand around the DB, but its only my middle finger that touches my palm... all the other fingers are not touching skin.

I do know that my grip was much better then it is, and it can get even better then that. I just didnt want to hear I was doomed because of my small hands.

Adam
12-29-2005, 11:54 PM
The issue was discussed.
Now the thread is done.