PDA

View Full Version : Taking protein powder w\epilepsy

Big_Leo
12-28-2005, 07:02 PM
I'm epileptic and can't take L-Glutamine but every protein powder that I look for has it. Does anyone know if there is a protein powder out on the market that doesn't contain L-Glutamine?

Unreal
12-28-2005, 07:12 PM
L-Glutamine is a amino acid that is present in most protein sources. What protein can you eat since you can't have glutamine?

Built
12-28-2005, 07:22 PM
Hmmm... from http://www.womenandinfants.com/body.cfm?id=388&chunkiid=21749

"As a naturally occurring amino acid, glutamine is thought to be a safe supplement when taken at recommended dosages. However, those who are hypersensitive to monosodium glutamate (MSG) should use glutamine with caution, as the body metabolizes glutamine into glutamate. Also, because many anti-epilepsy drugs work by blocking glutamate stimulationin the brain, high dosages of glutamine may overwhelm these drugs and pose a risk to people with epilepsy"

I would SOOO love to have someone like slim come in here and debunk this one. It sounds funny to me, considering I'm pretty sure glutamine is the most abundant AA in your body.

bloodninja
12-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Well you've stumped Built...that means you're pretty much screwed and shouldn't lift again.

Unreal
12-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Wouldn't chicken, beef, eggs, cottage cheese, and basically any source of protein be loaded with glutamine? So that means you can't get your essential amino acids, which means you should be dead.

Big_Leo
12-28-2005, 08:18 PM
L-Glutamine is in many types of protein but those source(s) are synthetically made, hence the "L" notation. I was wondering if anyone knew or heard of any powders/protein shakes that didn't contain it.

Due to my condition, I just stick mainly to veggies with the exception of chicken, fish, and eggs. I also take a multi-vitamin, CLA, and Flaxseed Oil. But know everyone is starting to complain about their being mercury in fish and hormones in chicken. Plus eating all organic is pretty expensive...

**Glutamine is found in very small quantities in food. The type in protein powders, as stated above, is a synthetic version that is highly concentrated which is why I must stay away from it. Therefore, natural sources are okay. But increasing my protein intake with a powder would be much easier than eating a large amount of chicken, fish, etc.

MixmasterNash
12-28-2005, 09:41 PM
People got big and strong long before protein powders existed. If you can't find one (and I'd be surprised if you could), you'll be slightly inconvenienced, but fine. Can you drink milk?

Big_Leo
12-28-2005, 11:43 PM
You're right, MixmasterNash, people can get big off of eating healthy. That's basically what I've been doing for a long time now. I've lost a lot of body fat that way. I still have quite a bit of mass that I'd like to gain though.
I tried gaining this mass by counting macro's and every single kcal that I ingested. It works but I find it to be a real pain in the neck. Caloric cycling works just as well, though.

Built
12-29-2005, 12:43 AM
I'm pretty sure L-glutamine is the naturally occurring form. The stereoisomer D-glutamine is not.

waynis
12-29-2005, 10:09 AM
L-Glutamine is in many types of protein but those source(s) are synthetically made, hence the "L" notation. I was wondering if anyone knew or heard of any powders/protein shakes that didn't contain it.

Due to my condition, I just stick mainly to veggies with the exception of chicken, fish, and eggs. I also take a multi-vitamin, CLA, and Flaxseed Oil. But know everyone is starting to complain about their being mercury in fish and hormones in chicken. Plus eating all organic is pretty expensive...

**Glutamine is found in very small quantities in food. The type in protein powders, as stated above, is a synthetic version that is highly concentrated which is why I must stay away from it. Therefore, natural sources are okay. But increasing my protein intake with a powder would be much easier than eating a large amount of chicken, fish, etc.

Interesting.. The question would be does dietary naturally occuring glutamine have the same effect as suplemented glutamine? You did mention how there are lower amounts of glutamine in food. I think you kinda answered your own question. Stay away from supplemental forms of glutamine. Eat your fish, chicken, eggs, for protein sources.

Flaxseed oil contains higher amounts of GLA fats which can possibly aggrivate some types of eplilepsy. Although I couldn't find concrete evidence on that. Might be something to consider. I would take out the flaxseed oil and take fish oil instead anyway.

Big_Leo
12-29-2005, 03:17 PM
I'll have to ask my Neurologist about the GLA fats and thanks for the advice!

I'm not sure about the L notation and I can't find info about the L and D prefixes...I might be wrong.

waynis
12-29-2005, 04:04 PM
you know what's great. If you have a sam's club or a costco around. Buy bulk lean ground turkey, eggs, chunk light tuna fish, milk all at a great price. I'm thinking about elmininating whey powders myself.

Vapour Trails
01-02-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm pretty sure L-glutamine is the naturally occurring form. The stereoisomer D-glutamine is not.

This is correct. No company would synthesize glutamine when animals and microbes can do it for you.

D-forms do not exist in nature. You could synthesize them in a lab.

Shao-LiN
01-04-2006, 02:10 AM
You're right, MixmasterNash, people can get big off of eating healthy. That's basically what I've been doing for a long time now. I've lost a lot of body fat that way. I still have quite a bit of mass that I'd like to gain though.
I tried gaining this mass by counting macro's and every single kcal that I ingested. It works but I find it to be a real pain in the neck. Caloric cycling works just as well, though.

I'm failing to see how a protein powder can change this situation. You'd still need to count what goes into your body and would still need to eat a lot. Gaining muscle isn't an easy process, it is work.

imageD
01-04-2006, 02:32 AM
I'll have to ask my Neurologist about the GLA fats and thanks for the advice!

I'm not sure about the L notation and I can't find info about the L and D prefixes...I might be wrong.

lol, take a organic chem class! L and D are simply, as wonderful built already stated (do you know everything built?) stereoisomers. L is just the one that your body can process. I would assume the D isomer is not found in nature.