PDA

View Full Version : Post Workout Needs

-TIM-
12-29-2005, 01:05 PM
For a person wanting to bulk, should they be more concerned with getting in loads of carbs, or protein post workout? Obviously you want both, but someone at the gym said carbs should be my main concern.

Thanks!

deeder
12-29-2005, 01:16 PM
I would think that the protein would be more important than the carbs. But as you said, get both.

-TIM-
12-29-2005, 01:30 PM
I would think that the protein would be more important than the carbs. But as you said, get both.And I think that's what most people say. I just want to make sure it's right. This guy is actually a co-worker, and built very well. He has the size to back up his words. You don't get this big naturally without knowing your nutrition. So that's why I wanted to know what everyone else thought about the matter.

TTT
12-29-2005, 02:37 PM
I think the general idea is to get your blood sugar levels back up so you get an insulin spike, and this gets you out of the catabolic state you start to enter after long periods of strenuous activity, where you're also drawing from muscle tissue/amino acids (protein) in your bloodstream as an energy source. But you need the protein too :) So just have both.

Bob
12-29-2005, 03:08 PM
I like this article from John Berardi...
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi4.htm

It seems to sum up well what I have read on a few other sites.. and read in a few research papers...

I also think it has been recommended before on WBB.. but can't seem to find those references by searching.. sorry..

-TIM-
12-29-2005, 04:27 PM
Good read bearwolfden. That seems to answer my question, and also provides some much needed reminders. Thanks.