PDA

View Full Version : I'm only having defecate once every 2-3 days. Is there something wrong?

$ick
12-30-2005, 12:48 AM
Going to the bathroom to urinate doesn't count. I'm talking about having to defecate (poop). I'm only going once every 2-3 days.. few times it's been longer.. What does this mean.. I'm pretty sure i should be going once a day.

I'm not holding it in either.. I go when i have to go.. Nutrition Experts please reply.

Weight: 172
Height: 6'1"

Built
12-30-2005, 01:06 AM
Well, how much fiber do you consume every day? I usually get in 25-35g, and lots of water. No problems.

TheGimp
12-30-2005, 02:22 AM
Are you cutting or bulking? I find this is often the case when I am cutting. It's simple - you eat less, you poop less.

HILL
12-30-2005, 03:16 AM
Yeh me 2 i am proberly the same but as im atleast 700 cals below maintenance i cant imagine their is much to poop lol. however i dnt think i am getting enough fibre so ive just got some firbre drinks to start taking once every other day or once a day

Bikkstah
12-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Ahh you said poop!

I go every other day and sometimes every 3rd now that I'm on a cut. On a bulk I was sometimes going twice a day.

Are you cutting or bulking? I find this is often the case when I am cutting. It's simple - you eat less, you poop less.

Quoted for truth.

Shao-LiN
12-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Hehe...would think it's common sense. Less food in you, less coming out of you.

Built
12-30-2005, 11:00 AM
On a cut, you'll feel better/fuller with more veggies in you anyway. I find I get more fiber in me on a cut than a bulk because I'm not trying to fill up on broccoli.

Cut150
12-30-2005, 11:06 AM
Um, I don't think just because you're eating less, you'd poop less.

I'm with Built, you need more fiber in your diet and hopefully, you are also getting enough water to help it pass through with greater ease.

I wish I could find a picture of it on the internet to show you what the box looks like, but go get a box of unprocessed bran by Quaker. You know the Quaker Oats guy?

Then make this for a week:

1 cup of yogurt
1 banana
3 medium to large strawberries
1/2 cup of blueberries
1/3 cup of bran
1 tsp of Olive oil
7 packs of Splenda
ice

The Splenda is just to sweeten it up a bit, so you don't have to do it. However, the bran is what you need and you won't taste it other than it gives the smoothie a crunchy texture.

According to Fitday, it will be 425 calories with 16 grams of fat. 3 grams - saturated, 3 grams - poly, 10 grams - mono. 67 grams of carbs and 14 grams of fiber. 16 grams of protein.

According to me, it tastes really good.

You need to ease into your fiber intake, but it looks like you are really lacking. I hope everything comes out okay. :D

spencerjrus
12-30-2005, 11:34 AM
Lucky. I have to go 3-4 times a day. :( Really puts a cramp on my free time.

Bikkstah
12-30-2005, 11:38 AM
Bet you get a lot of reading done though.

Built
12-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Roflmfao!

TheGimp
12-30-2005, 03:22 PM

Ah of course. I forgot to factor in the poop fairies conjuring poop.

Shao-LiN
12-30-2005, 04:13 PM

You think your body's whole purpose of creating feces is due to your fiber intake? Although fiber can help with regularity, you would still have to crap less in a caloric deficit (less food) than you would during a surplus (more food).

Canadian Crippler
12-30-2005, 05:05 PM
Why are people recommending fiber? From my understanding, fiber draws more water out of stool so it becomes bulkier... thus you poop less. Hence why a lot of protein powders are now filled with fiber, because that stuff just goes through you usually.

Davidelmo
12-30-2005, 05:46 PM
Yeah, but the indigestable stuff helps to push the other stuff through.

Drinking more water will help too cos when the poop gets backed up water is constantly being absorbed from it. Once it gets dry it's hard to move (and painful!)

Cut150
12-30-2005, 06:00 PM
So, Shao-Lin and The Gimp, you think that just because you're on a cut, it's normal to poop only once in three days?

I understand that you don't have to poop every day, and some people ONLY poop three times a week, but if you were doing so regularly before a change in your diet, wouldn't the decrease in doing so signal a problem other than you aren't eating as much?

Even if you eat less, if you are eating the right things and drinking enough water you should be able to produce your normal amount of bowel movements and without any type of difficulty. To me, he sounds constipated, so I suggested more fiber, water and a simple way to ingest it.

Prevention and Treatment

Constipation is best prevented and treated with a combination of adequate exercise, a high-fiber diet, an adequate intake of fluids, and the occasional use of laxatives. When a potentially constipating drug has been prescribed, a laxative along with increased intake of dietary fiber and fluids helps to prevent constipation.

Vegetables, fruits, and bran are excellent sources of fiber. Many people find it convenient to sprinkle 2 or 3 teaspoons of unrefined miller's bran on high-fiber cereal or fruit 2 or 3 times a day. To work well, fiber must be consumed with plenty of fluids.

Constipation (http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec09/ch129/ch129b.html)

I just gave a suggestion, maybe I'm wrong, but adding some fiber and drinking more water would be the first test I'd do.

TheGimp
12-30-2005, 06:01 PM
Please tell me where the magic poo comes from.

Cut150
12-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Why are people recommending fiber? From my understanding, fiber draws more water out of stool so it becomes bulkier... thus you poop less. Hence why a lot of protein powders are now filled with fiber, because that stuff just goes through you usually.

This is how I understand fiber to work.

Fiber (http://www.mamashealth.com/nutrition/fiber.asp)

Cut150
12-30-2005, 06:18 PM
Please tell me where the magic poo comes from.

What are you talking about when you say "magic poo?"

Are you telling me that you believe if you were to drop 500 calories from your diet, but still managed to get in the RDA of vitamins, carbs, healthy fats and 20-35 grams of fiber, you wouldn't be able to poo on a daily basis if you were able to prior to dropping 500 calories?

spencerjrus
12-30-2005, 06:19 PM
Bet you get a lot of reading done though.

Lol I read the new Harry Potter book in 2 days.

TheGimp
12-30-2005, 06:23 PM
I mean poo needs to be made from something.

Are you telling me that you believe if you were to drop 500 calories from your diet, but still managed to get in the RDA of vitamins, carbs, healthy fats and 20-35 grams of fiber, you wouldn't be able to poo on a daily basis if you were able to prior to dropping 500 calories?
Where did you get the figure of 500 calories from? My personal experience is from cutting calories from a maintenance of around 2500 a day to 800 day.

Cut150
12-30-2005, 06:30 PM
Okay, the 500 was a hypothetical number to describe a cut in calories, not necessarily yours in particular.

You say the poo needs to be made from something. That something would be food. A person on a diet may eat less food, but they haven't stopped eating food, so whatever the amount it is, it needs to be digested.

How fiber makes poo. (http://www.carbs-information.com/dietary-fiber-benefits.htm)

Maybe I'm wrong, but as I understand the body, food has to leave it at some point in time. It shouldn't be a difficult task and fiber makes it easier and regular no matter what a person's "regular" is.

Built
12-30-2005, 09:04 PM
TheGimp - you cut on 800 calories a day?

May I ask why?

smalls
12-30-2005, 09:57 PM

Yes. All things being equal less intake=less waste.

I go from going 5-6 times a day to once per day. Of coarse fiber has an effect but not as much of an effect as 3500+ cals. And yes I do have supermans colon.

TheGimp
12-31-2005, 04:36 AM
TheGimp - you cut on 800 calories a day?

May I ask why?

I am talking of UD2.0 low cal days or a PSMF, i.e. rapid fat loss and I can get away with it :)

Cut150
12-31-2005, 11:03 AM
Yes. All things being equal less intake=less waste.

I go from going 5-6 times a day to once per day. Of coarse fiber has an effect but not as much of an effect as 3500+ cals. And yes I do have supermans colon.

But you are still going once a day. What I am saying is that if you are eating properly, you should still be able to continue your normal elimination process even with less food.

Davidelmo
12-31-2005, 11:32 AM
I mean poo needs to be made from something.

Where did you get the figure of 500 calories from? My personal experience is from cutting calories from a maintenance of around 2500 a day to 800 day.

You eat 800kcal a day?

TheGimp
12-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Yes, in specific circumstances.

I am talking of UD2.0 low cal days or a PSMF, i.e. rapid fat loss and I can get away with it :)

Davidelmo
01-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Yes, in specific circumstances.

Oh okay, sorry I missed that :)

I wouldnt dare try that.. I think I'd lose about a stone in a week!