PDA

View Full Version : Drinking water during workout

blackdogstrut
12-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Does anyone notice weither drinking water during a work out helps or hurt their performance? In other words, does it seem like you have less endurance, or do your results seem to difer when you drink intermittently through a work-out?
I already know this is probably a stupid question. Im not sure If i notice any results, but sometimes I avoid the water fountain until Im done

wannabeabigboy
12-30-2005, 05:52 PM
i drink water all throughout the work out, especially if im sweating. if im well hydrated before a workout, my lifts are always better.

Built
12-30-2005, 05:53 PM
You need water. Drink it.

Davidelmo
12-30-2005, 05:56 PM
I'm sure I just posted in this thread... I definately typed stuff.. maybe I didnt hit reply.

I dont notice any direct increase in performance with more water, but obviously if you're dehydrated your performance will suffer.

getfit
12-30-2005, 06:10 PM
Hydrate your body! water is a must.

spencerjrus
12-30-2005, 07:21 PM
You gotta drink something but I try and keep it to a minimum. Nothing is worse than trying to squat with a belly full of water.

Bob
12-30-2005, 08:08 PM
:withstupi
nothing like puking all that belly full of water up on the 20th squat rep... LOL

45 minute WO - about a quart of water is what I drink throughout...

brickt.
12-31-2005, 12:15 AM
I sip water between exercises. Prolly about 500ml all up. However, I'm well hydrated before I hit the weights.

WBBIRL
12-31-2005, 10:35 AM
I find it best to be well hydrated before I do something physicaly demanding like hitting the iron. If I have anymore then 16oz of water 1 hour or shorter before my workout I usually get sick in the stomache... this chance is almost 100% if I drink water while working out. I get over 160oz water on the average day. I have around 64-80 oz from 8 A.M. to 3 P.M. and go dry until about 6 P.M. which is right after I finish my workout. After I consume another 64-80oz worth of water.

big calvin
12-31-2005, 10:40 AM
i always thought gateraid would be better then water because of the electrolites thing and minerals i guess(not to sure on this) and i remember reading somewere coconut water is actually better then gateraid... just something i remember reading but i drink water during a workout havnt tried gateraid or coconut water

big calvin
12-31-2005, 10:45 AM
this is wha i found for coconut water...

Amount Per 1 cup
Calories 45.6
Calories from Fat 4.32

% Daily Value *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Fat 0.48g 1%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturated Fat 0.422g 2%

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0048g

Monounsaturated Fat 0.0192g

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 252mg 11%

Potassium 600mg 17%

Total Carbohydrate 8.9g 3%

Dietary Fiber 2.64g 11%

Protein 1.73g 3%

Alcohol 0g

Vitamin A 0 % Vitamin C 10 %

Calcium 6 % Iron 4 %

Vitamin D 0 % Vitamin E 0 %

Thiamin 4 % Riboflavin 7 %

Niacin 1 % Folate 2 %

Vitamin B-6 4 % Vitamin B-12 0 %

Phosphorus 5 % Magnesium 15 %

Zinc 2 % Copper 5 %

big calvin
12-31-2005, 10:49 AM
this is gatorade (spelling was wrong sorry)

Amount Per 0.75 scoop
Calories 58.24
Calories from Fat 0

% Daily Value *

Total Fat 0g 0%

Saturated Fat 0g 0%

Polyunsaturated Fat 0g

Monounsaturated Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 96.48mg 4%

Potassium 32.16mg 1%

Total Carbohydrate 15.25g 5%

Dietary Fiber 0g 0%

Protein 0g 0%

Alcohol 0g

Vitamin A 0 % Vitamin C 0 %

Calcium 0 % Iron 0 %

Vitamin D 0 % Vitamin E 0 %

Thiamin 0 % Riboflavin 0 %

Niacin 0 % Folate 0 %

Vitamin B-6 0 % Vitamin B-12 0 %

Phosphorus 0 % Magnesium 0 %

Zinc 0 % Copper 0 %

Praetorian
01-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Drinking water while doing heavy physical activity is stupid.

Hell no H2O.

cphafner
01-02-2006, 08:22 PM
I drink up to a half a gallon while I workout. I've never felt any negative effects. Water is crucial, drink up.

20firebird02
01-02-2006, 08:51 PM
I drink up to a half a gallon while I workout. I've never felt any negative effects. Water is crucial, drink up.

cphafner
01-02-2006, 09:13 PM

Whats that for?

MixmasterNash
01-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Whats that for?
I think he agrees with you. Mmmm. Tasty water.

Standard Hero
01-04-2006, 01:58 AM
Slighty off topic but a question regarding water intake. Alot of recommendations suggest drinking at least 2 litres of water a day.

My Questionw are these.....

Why is it at least 2 litres? is it because thats what you would lose during an average day?

Is that 2 litres throught the day or as long as you've consumed 2 litres at the end of the day? I mean doing a job where its hard to get a chance to even take a sip for hours, but restocking your water supplies after finishing work in the evening, is that bad?

Lastly the 2 litre refrence is that 2 litres of pure water? plus whatever else you may drink i.e Orange Squash (Mostly water) or can you gain some of your intake from squash and the like?

Thanks

Wild Cat McCane
01-04-2006, 10:17 AM
wasn't there a post from another forum....or something. It seemed pretty scientific (i couldn't understand anything really but the main point) that said best thing to drink was to sip at a liter of water with a slight dex and protein mix during a work out...Anyone else remember this?

Hahaha I'm worthless i know.

cphafner
01-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Slighty off topic but a question regarding water intake. Alot of recommendations suggest drinking at least 2 litres of water a day.

My Questionw are these.....

Why is it at least 2 litres? is it because thats what you would lose during an average day?

Is that 2 litres throught the day or as long as you've consumed 2 litres at the end of the day? I mean doing a job where its hard to get a chance to even take a sip for hours, but restocking your water supplies after finishing work in the evening, is that bad?

Lastly the 2 litre refrence is that 2 litres of pure water? plus whatever else you may drink i.e Orange Squash (Mostly water) or can you gain some of your intake from squash and the like?

Thanks

only count the water you drink. The more water, the better. Muscle is mostly water. Water is critical in your bodies functions.

KingWilder
01-04-2006, 10:40 PM
I always get water in between exercises...doesn't make me feel sick or anything

pjfan
01-05-2006, 02:46 AM
Weigh yourself before you lift. And then again when your done. If you weigh more, cut back on the water some. You want to weigh about the same after your done. Keep in mind that the body loses about 1 liter per hour of heavy exercise. I like to drink a lot up to twenty minutes before I start lifting.

Goodbarsix
01-09-2006, 09:35 AM
I always get water in between exercises...doesn't make me feel sick or anything

I do the same thing on upper-body lifting day. On my running/legs day ill drink water in between the lifts for the first 15 minutes, then stop. Just real small ammounts of water from the fountain. after the next 15 minutes of leg lifts i go stretch then run for 30 minutes. I've found that if i drink too much water before running, my stomach hurts a little.

Guido
01-09-2006, 09:48 AM
I just bring a big water bottle (750 ml) with me to the gym and I usually end up drinking most of it by the end of my workout. I try to drink a little less on deadlift days only because I do't do well on deads with a stomach full of water. All in all, it's important to be hydrated when lifting.