PDA

View Full Version : Precise Weight Gain Diet - Where to look?

Young_gun
12-31-2005, 09:16 PM
Hello all!

I am new here, but I've been browsing the forum's archives for some time now looking for some tips. Lots of interesting stuff is mentionned, but quite frankly, I can't manage to find something that is really good for me (probably I am looking for something to precise?). I am quite aware of the 'eating lots of protein and carbs = weight gain', but I haven't really been putting it into practice though. Why? Well, let's just say, I don't really have tons of time to prepare all these shakes, huge breakfasts, etc. But mainly, I don't really like eating even when I'm not hungry at all. Anyway, I have been lifting weights for 6 months now, but I did some weightlifting for 2 years in 2002-2003, and lots of running in 2004. As I mentionned above, for the last 6 months, I haven't changed my diet which pretty much looks like this:

Breakfast:

1 Banana
2 Toasts with peanut butter
2 small yogurts

1st snack:

1 Nutrigrain bar

Lunch:

1 turkey sandwich
1 chunk of cheese
Several small carrots and brocolie
2-3 cookies + milk for desert
1 Apple

2nd snack:

1 Apple + 1 Orange

Dinner:

1 salad
Spaghetti
1 slice of Bread
Bowl of Ice Cream for desert

After workout (at night), I usually grab another apple and some cheese + water.

I know, this isn't much. But I now I am ready to change it all and make all necessary efforts to do so. However, I don't want to spend money in supplements or things like that though. So basically, I am looking for a detailed daily diet. Ideally, gaining 10 pounds in the next 5 months would be good for me, but maybe I am being far too optimistic? Anyway, could some of you guys suggest something to me or maybe point me towards specific links where I could find a precise daily diet which I could follow in the coming months?

By the way, I am 21 years old, 5'11, 158 pounds, pretty ripped, approx. 8-9% body fat. And I go to the gym 4 times per week, and get all the necessary sleep and rest as well.

Thanks alot for your help in advance! Very much appreciated,

Built
12-31-2005, 09:21 PM
www.fitday.com or nobody will look at what you eat.

Happy new year; welcome to the board.

Davidelmo
01-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Hey and welcome to the boards.

You should do what built said and Fitday your food. That's the only way you'll know if you're getting enough calories/protein etc.

Your food looks good in content but it doesnt look like enough volume to gain much weight from it. Maybe consider adding shakes to your two snacks. Milk, peanut butter, oats and a scoop of whey make a great bulking shake!

Also 10lbs in 5 months is probably an UNDERestimation. You could do that in a month if you are determined enough and commit to your new diet every day.

Start working out using the WBB1 routine and getting tons of calories and you'll achieve 10lbs easily!

Young_gun
01-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks alot for the tips guys.

David: Where can I find more info on this WBB1 routine?

Davidelmo
01-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks alot for the tips guys.

David: Where can I find more info on this WBB1 routine?

Top left corner where it says "Wannabebig articles"

Here you go: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

It's a good routine. Compound movements aimed at building size and strength.

Add a good diet and you're set :D

I've gained 20lbs on it so far!

Young_gun
01-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Thanks again for the link. Mmmm...working out only 3 days out of 7 really works? It doesn't seem like it is enough, but I guess I am wrong. I was minded on going 5 days a week to the gym this semester hehe.

Do I really need to consult my doctor before doing this WBB1 program? I don't see how it could be a risk for me...

Davidelmo
01-04-2006, 12:00 PM
Yeah it definately works! I've gained ~20lbs on it so far.

The movements are mostly big compound stuff like deadlifts, squats etc. They take a few days to recover from. Your body only grows outside of the gym when given a chance to repair.
If you hit the same muscles again and again without chance to repair you won't really progress.

As for consulting the doctor- I guess that's just the site disclaiming itself. I'd say you don't need to see the doctor as long as you're in okay condition. Just be sensible and don't rush yourself too much.

AllUp
01-04-2006, 12:37 PM
What you have as your diet appears to be pretty healthy, but you may want to add in a little extra protein and cals, maybe from more poultry or protein shake/mrp supplementation and more EFA's (Depending on what your stats and goals are of course :) ).

Also, 10 lbs in 5 months is cake for most, just find out what your maintenance cals are and gradually increase them (don't forget to go slightly higher on the cals on workout days as well as the following recovery day (if you choose to have one)). :p

Also, as mentioned above - use fitday to track the calories (and a food scale if you want to be overly precise with it. :p )