PDA

View Full Version : Natty PB

HelpMeLift
01-02-2006, 05:58 PM
okay i'm kinda pissed off because i just found out that the great tasting, supposedly "all natural" peanut butter that i used to eat is one of those junk food pieces of crap.

i went out and bought some 100% natural pb and it's not creamy at all. it's like chunky and oily/liquidy. is this the right kind?

and one last thing since i'm fairly new to the natty pb world, can anyone suggest some good recipes to use the pb in? i used to spread my pb on toasted whole wheat bagels but i have a feeling that it won't taste as good with the real natty pb. thanks!

Davidelmo
01-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Yeah I think the oily one is natural.

I use the cheap stuff, 30p per 300g jar. The natural is over 1.50 for the same size and in my opinion doesnt even taste as good. The nutritionals are almost equal and I'm not HUGELY bothered that mine contains extra stuff like hydrogenated vegetable oil (yeah I know it's bad.)

Have you tried the pb/oats/whey/milk shake yet? If not, you should!
I add 750ml milk, 100g oats, 25g whey and 4 tbps PB = ~1000kcal

Built
01-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Make sure your natty is SALTED. The unsalted tastes like wallpaper paste.

HelpMeLift
01-02-2006, 08:39 PM
yeap mines salted.
it says refrigerate after opening to prevent the oil from dispersing.
so will it turn into the normal smooth peanut butter's texture or will it continue to stay oily? thanks.

thanks dave for that recipe. i'll try it out after i'm off this medication im on right now (some herbal crap that's supposed to be good for me)

Built
01-02-2006, 08:42 PM
I don't refrigerate it, but some folks do.

Yes, it remains somewhat oily. I like that about my natty, but it did take a little getting used to. I don't know what you got, but I prefer chunky.

Try it on a chunk of apple. You might find yourself liking it on different things than you did with the fake crap.

HelpMeLift
01-02-2006, 09:29 PM
thanks built. ahh crap i got the creamy. i'll get the chunky next time.
yeah the natty is a lot more "peanutty" than the other stuff with loads of corn syrup.

imageD
01-02-2006, 09:49 PM
The kind you want is Smuckers Natural Peanut butter Creamy. Stuff is awesome, I personally think that crap like JIF is nasty made with crisco. How do you think its so smooth?

I mix mine in my shake, currently going through about a can a day. Stuff can get expesnive though at $2.36 a can

eps
01-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Natty PB rules for bulking. I eat the Smuckers brand too.

Built
01-02-2006, 10:08 PM
I likes my Adam's Crunchy.

heatwave345
01-02-2006, 11:25 PM
for help with the oil separation, try storing it upsidedown for 24 hr before opening it. once it all mixes, the consistancy will be perfect for spreading on bread. don't worry, u'll get addicted to it pretty soon. :)

malkore
01-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Yeah, mix it up really good first ,then keep it stored upside down so the oil works its way to the bottom.

spencerjrus
01-03-2006, 05:24 PM
I don't refrigerate it, but some folks do.

Woman you speak heresy, natty pb MUST be refrigerated. It is an unspoken law.

But ya I just stir it REALLY well and then put it upside down in the fridge. The consistency is perfect, extremely smooth. :)

Built
01-03-2006, 05:29 PM
It tastes better at room temperature.

getfit
01-03-2006, 05:36 PM
i prefer mine refrigerated

spencerjrus
01-03-2006, 05:39 PM
It tastes better at room temperature.

Really? I find at room temperature the oil doesnt mix well into the PB, you gotta get it cool before it gets that sickening consistency.

HelpMeLift
01-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Woman you speak heresy, natty pb MUST be refrigerated. It is an unspoken law.

But ya I just stir it REALLY well and then put it upside down in the fridge. The consistency is perfect, extremely smooth. :)

thanks for the info.
i use adams' too but creamy. man this stuff is gonna take some getting used to. do they really use crisco for the regular tasty pbs?

Built
01-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Basically, yes. Hydrogenation was invented by Proctor and Gambol, and they used it on cottonseed oil - crystal + cottonseed = crisco. It's a way of plasticizing oil, and it's the same thing that's done with commercial peanut butter. Your body doesn't know what to do with this plastic oil crap, so it just sits in your arteries and raises your bad cholesterol.

Did you get the salted or the unsalted Adams? Try the salted crunchy - it's totally yummy.

HelpMeLift
01-03-2006, 08:06 PM
oh thanks for the info!
yeah i got the salted but the creamy. next time i'm definitely getting the crunchy.

imageD
01-04-2006, 02:30 AM
I've gone through enough PB to know DO NOT REFRIGERATE! As said prior, keep them outside and upside down prior to opening. Then keep them outside right side up until you finish the can.

getfit
01-04-2006, 05:04 AM
i don't think anything will happen if you refrigerate your pb

JimR
01-04-2006, 06:53 AM
"Natty" is getting as old as "LOL" and "roids". Could we all please grow up now and start calling it "Natural". Unless of course..you would also like a "natty light beer" with that peanut butter. :p

Jimmy

JustLost
01-04-2006, 07:45 AM
"Natty" is getting as old as "LOL" and "roids". Could we all please grow up now and start calling it "Natural". Unless of course..you would also like a "natty light beer" with that peanut butter. :p

Jimmy

LOL natty PB is better 4 U than roids LOLOL

;)

spencerjrus
01-04-2006, 08:30 AM
I've gone through enough PB to know DO NOT REFRIGERATE! As said prior, keep them outside and upside down prior to opening. Then keep them outside right side up until you finish the can.

My food stays indoor thank you.

imageD
01-04-2006, 09:53 PM
My food stays indoor thank you.

I meant outside of the refridgerator

RickTheDestroyer
01-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Hydrogenation was invented by Proctor and Gambol, and they used it on cottonseed oil - crystal + cottonseed = crisco. It's a way of plasticizing oil, and it's the same thing that's done with commercial peanut butter.

You know that they were originally thinking about calling it "Cryst" but decided that might be a touch sacrilicious?
True story.