PDA

View Full Version : The new years resolution that isn't so new...

ArchAngel777
01-02-2006, 10:35 PM
I found this site while doing a google search and I must say I am quite impressed. I keep a journal on my home PC, but never thought to do one online. Anyway, so here is my first post of my journal and I plan to do regular updates, but most likely not everyday.

I am 24 years old, married and have a child on the way. Once I found out that my wife was pregnant, I decided it was time to change my eating habits, lest my children pick them up. I made this decision November 7th, 2005, so nearly two months ago. More on this later...

History -- I used to be addicted to weightlifting and working out. When I was 12 I started to weight lift and it wasn't long before I had stretch marks everywhere from gaining some muscle mass fast. I continued to work for the next 6 years very hardcore. At about age 16, I was introduce to Olympic Style weightlifting and decided to try a compition. I was training for just a month or so before I decied to compete. I did a Power Clean for 102.5K and a Power Snatch for 77.5K and a total of 180K. I weighed under 87K for the compition and I placed 1st (because no one else my age was competing! LOL). Anyway, I didn't really put a lot of effort into my technique, I just figured I would brute strength it all.

Time went on and when I Was 18, I decied it was time to call it quits. School started (college) and I just didn't feel like working out anymore. I was 200 pounds when I quit at 5' 10" and had 10% BF. 6 years later, a deskjob and a bottomless candy dish caused me to gain over 60 pounds of fat! Ouch, I was 260 pounds as if November 7th, 2005...

Since November 7th I have lost over 31 pounds and am currently sitting at 229. My waist size was 40" and now it is a 36". My goal is to become as lean as possible while maintening what little strength I do have. How have I accompished this?

1) Proper nutricien... I no longer eat most displacment foods. I avoid refined sugar, sweets and the sorts. The result is that I no longer crave those foods and have thus changed my eating habits and therefore is a life long change, not a temporary one.

2) Working out nearly every day. I rest 1 - 2 days a week depending on what my body tells me.

Most of my workouts are very simple and easy to follow. I generally do Power Cleans and Power Snatches most days of the week, followed by some cardio. My feeling is that those lifts are superior to anything else out there. I am extremely biased and once I was introduced to Olympic Style weightlifting, I have become almost a snob about it when I see so few people train on those important lifts. As example of a training day for me is like this.

Warmup

Walk for 12 minutes, start slow and at 5:00 I move the pace up to around 4 MPH. Proper warmup helps so much when it comes time to lift.

Weights

Clean 135 X 5
Clean 155 X 3
Clean 175 X 3
Clean 185 X 1
Clean 205 X 1
Clean 215 X 1
Clean 215 X 1
Clean 205 X 2
Clean 185 X 5
Clean 185 X 5
Clean 185 X 5
Clean 185 X 5
Clean 185 X 5

Cardio

Run, Bike, Fast walk for 18 - 30 minutes. Depends on the day.

That is pretty much a sample workout... Sometimes I do snatches instead of cleans, and 1 day a week I train pretty much everything, at least the essentials. Full Squats, Overhead Squats (weight over head like Miltary Press and then going into a deep squat) Bench Press (incline) Rows, Lat pulls (many angles), Military Press, Dead Lifts, Shrugs, Peck Deck, Curls.

That is pretty much it... So far the weight loss has been incredable. My muscles have filled out to where they once were and I am rapidly gaining the strength I once had... My Squats and Bench Press are rather low compared to when I was 18 (I used to Bench 325 and Full Squat 325 as well). I have not maxed out on them currently, but I know they are at least 50 pounds under what they once were.

A lot to cover in this first journal entry, so I will quit blabbing and continue to update with my journal. In the future, my workouts will be actual and not a template like above.

ArchAngel777
01-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Ever since I hit both knees on my desk at work really hard, they gave been giving me problems. Today I really felt the pain on the knees, so I took it very easy with anything leg related.

Warmup

20 Minute walk at 3.8 mph

Comments: Ended up more than my typical 12 minute warmup because I was talking to a lady. She is pretty fit and near her 40's. Pretty impressed with her endurance as she regularly runs 3+ miles every day and sometimes 10 miles a day.

Weights

Incline Bench Press

Bar X 10
135 X 5
175 X 3
185 X 3
195 X 2
205 X 2
215 X 2

Comments: Felt good to do these, I had to have a spotter on the last set, I was worried that I wouldn't get them, but I did.

Lat Pulldowns

100 X 15
150 X 10
150 X 10
140 X 10

Comments: Lats felt really good today. I use a combination of behind the neck and in front of the neck. I change it up every lat session.

Peck Deck
100 X 14 (failure)
100 X 13 (failure)

Comments: Failure means that I went until I could no longer do anymore... I didn't fail to get them, I simply failed on my last rep after 14, and 13 respectively. My chest felt pretty good after those two sets.

Straight Bar Curls

85 X 10 (failure)

Comments: Not a major muscle group... It gets hit pretty hard during the lats, so I just get by with one set. Besides, my biceps aren't lacking.

Upright Rows

85 X 10
85 X 10 (failure)

Comments: I hate doing these for some reason, but they felt ok today.

Overhead Squats

95 X 3
135 X 2
135 X 2
135 X 2

Comments: With my knees, I had to take it easy... But overhead squats are not easy... They take a lot of energy and balance. Today I was only able to get reps of 2 when doing 135... Generally after doing these, I am dead for the rest of the day. They really wear me out and cause me to burn all my nervous energy.

Cardio

I closed the session with an 2.5 incline walk at 4.0 mph. There is no way I can run with my knee currently, it will just hurt and swell up.

Overall Rating: 6/10

Why?: Just didn't have the energy that I needed and skipped out on a few lifts because I was talking to a few buddies in between sets to long... Oh well, things went overall.

rookiebldr
01-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Welcome to the forums. Good luck with your goals and the new baby. :)

Bob
01-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Welcome aboard angel..
Great decision you made there.. and awesome progress.. 31 lbs in less then 2 months...
I always wished I knew how to Power Clean and Snatch better..
Good luck and I'm look forward to watching your progress...

ArchAngel777
01-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the encouragement and welcome.

The good news is that while 31 pounds may seem like too much for a 8 week period, I am convinced none of it was LBM. I have gained about 25% strength to all my lifts since I started and have been eating very healthy. I do not starve myself (something I used to do in my teens) either. So, all in all I am pretty excited. The weight loss will slow down here in the next few months, I am sure once I hit the 215 range, things will stagnate a bit. Who knows, maybe they won't. But I hit my two month mark here next Saturday! My short term goal is to be under 220 by February 7th, the three month mark. Long term goal isn't set in stone, it is basically about getting as lean as possible, wherever that leads me...

Good luck to you both as well! I hope you find the success you are looking for.

ArchAngel777
01-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Today's workout was the following

Warmup

Walked for 12 minutes at 4.0 mph

Weights

Power Cleans

Bar X 5
135 X 3
185 X 3
185 X 3
185 X 3
185 X 3
200 X 1
200 X 1
200 X 1
200 X 1

Comments: Blah, today was not good at all. This is probably the worst I have done today and I knew it would be that way, but I still wanted to give it my best... I seemed to perform about 15% less weight than normal today.
Situps

No extra weight, decline without letting up tension

Comments: My stomach muscles have been getting a great workout from other things like dead lifts, power cleans and the snatch. The muscles are strong, but lack endurance, not something I really an concerned with improving right now.

Cardio

Walked 4.0 @ 2.0 incline for 18 minutes.

Comments: I didn't want to go past the two minutes I did... Todays workout was a real bummer. But I am glad that I got in there and stuck it out.

Overall Rating: 3/10

Why?: Didn't feel good going in there and felt about the same when I left. That is no excuse to skip out though, so I didn't. If I were bulking up and gaining strength, I may have skipped, but since I am cutting down, it doens't matter to me if I am stronger or not, so long as I am in the ball park. Knees were feeling good today as well...

ArchAngel777
01-05-2006, 11:30 AM
I couldn't sleep last night... I spent about 10 hours just trying to sleep in bed... I hate when that happens, gladly it is rare that it does.

I woke up sore, my stomach muscles killed and my lower back felt like it was worked pretty hard. I normally wake up with little to no soreness, even when training hard the day before. So I imagine this soreness is due to my lack of sleep.

Last night I purchased from Whey Chocolate Protien. The container says "Mixes easily" and I have to say, that is misleading. It isn't any better today than it was 8 years ago. Luckily, I have a really nice blender. I put a 1/2 banana in there with 1.5 scoup of whey protien and used about 10 ounces of milk. The result was a pretty gosh darn tasty milk shake/drink. I noticed as I was reading the label it said it used "Sucralose" and I am not real big on Artifical sweeteners, but I guess I will let it slide.

I plan to have a shake maybe every other day. The plan is use it when I am on a time schedule and have to get out the door. I will probably have a few a week or so.

Going to work out tonight because tomorrow I won't be able too... I will be taking my nephews to the Mall of America - Camp Snoopy where they will enjoy the rides. I have to plan my meals, probably bring some chicken sandwitch's or something healthy.

Well, I'll check in after my workout, but so far so good...

Anthony
01-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Last night I purchased from Whey Chocolate Protien. The container says "Mixes easily" and I have to say, that is misleading. It isn't any better today than it was 8 years ago.

First, congrats on making the commitment to change, especially to be a good role model for your kid. Second, when you run out of your current whey protein, give Nitrean a try - tastes great and it actually does mix easily. Not to mention it's better than anything on the market. :p

Sensei
01-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Get the training in now - things change dramatically once kids are in the picture!

Glad you're here.

ArchAngel777
01-05-2006, 03:18 PM
First, congrats on making the commitment to change, especially to be a good role model for your kid. Second, when you run out of your current whey protein, give Nitrean a try - tastes great and it actually does mix easily. Not to mention it's better than anything on the market. :p

Nitrean? Who makes that? It will probably be a while before I finish the container of whey, but once I do, I will be sure to check out Nitrean.

Thanks for the encourangement (you too Sensei)... It was hard to come back I have to admit, which is why I put it off for so long. The first two weeks were tough, I didn't want to continue, but pushed through. Now it feels natural to lift nearly everyday and I have a hard time staying away for a day. So things really are falling into place.

Again, thanks for the encouragement!

Take care,

Gabriel

Anthony
01-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Nitrean is made by www.atlargenutrition.com which funds this site. I know you'll probably question my motive since I'm a mod here, but if you stick around long enough you'll be hard pressed to find a customer who isn't satisfied with Nitrean.

ArchAngel777
01-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Nitrean is made by www.atlargenutrition.com which funds this site. I know you'll probably question my motive since I'm a mod here, but if you stick around long enough you'll be hard pressed to find a customer who isn't satisfied with Nitrean.

Cool, i'll check it out once that whey container is emptied.

ArchAngel777
01-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Warmup

Walk 3.8 mph for 12 minutes

Weights

Squats

Bar X 10
135 X 5
185 X 5
225 X 3
255 X 2
275 X 1
275 X 1
275 X 1
245 X 2
225 X 3
225 X 3
225 X 3
135 X 10
135 X 10

Comments: Squats felt good today. It was my first real squat since 1998. I felt that the 275's were light, but I was not sure I would get a second one. I am still a bit nervous with the squats, since it has been about 7 years since I have done them. My squats are always done with my ass to my heels, so very very deep. They felt good and I was quite impressed with my leg strength overall. I imagine I won't have a problem hitting 315 within the next few months if my knee keeps getting better. Interesting that my knee hurts when using just the bar, but once I get weight on there, the pain goes away. Wierd, huh? Yeah, I know...

Cardio

2.0 Incline @ 4.0 mph for 20 minutes.

Overall Rating: 8/10

Why?: Great workout and I feel I did pretty well today... My quads were hit hard and my left glute felt some workout, not the right glute though. It is possible that is from the lift off on the bar, since I am unable to get it the right height for me.

rookiebldr
01-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Nicely done on the squats. You should definitely reach your goals on those.

ArchAngel777
01-07-2006, 08:50 AM
Today is my two months mark... Yes, January 7th marks two months on this journey back home. I decided to weight myself and the scale said 231.4. Bummer! Well, actually, no bummer because I have lost BF and have increased my muscle definition even further. To be honest, I could care less what whether I end up at 195 or 215 if my body compisition looks the way I want it. The scale is just a guide, one of many. The waist size really tells me more in my opinion.

Still sore from Thursday's workout, which means I will be doing upper body today. I may turn up the heat for cardio, but who knows. Lately I have been letting the weights take care of my weight problem, but I may need to turn to some intense cardio if I hit a brick wall at losing weight. So far there is no indication that my body has stopped responding, so I will keep a closer eye on it from here in out. February 7th is my 3 months and will be a good indication of the total progress I have made.

Take care guys and have a great Saturday morning/afternoon.

Edit ** Thanks Rookie! I hope I hit my goal too!

ArchAngel777
01-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Warmup

12 minute walk @ 3.8 mph

Comments: Went into the workout thinking of skimping on it... I was already trying to find ways to get out.

Weights

Incline Bench

Bar X 10
135 X 5
165 X 3
185 X 1
205 X 2
215 X 2
225 X 2
135 X 5

Comments: Done great, this was pretty awesome to see this lift improve to two plates! The workout was going much better than I could have hoped...

Military Press

135 X 5
155 X 4

Comments: There is a lot of overlaps with Military Press, Bench Press, Incline Bench Press... So, I was a bit weak from doing the inclines, but I still did a respectable 155 X 4... That fourth rep took every ounce of strength to get up. I do Military Press with locked out knees standing with minimal arch. I arch only enough to get the bar passed my nose. My coach taught me long ago that a standing military press with an arch that most people use is nothing more than a standing Incline Bench, and I agree with him.

Peck Deck

120 X 11
120 X 7

Comments: Slow movement, was very tired from the first set, was unable to complete the second set. No big deal, the muscle was worked hard.

Lateral Pull Downs

100 X 10
160 X 8
160 X 5 (behind neck)

Comments: The first set of 160 took everything out of me, I really didn't have the gas to finish out lats the way I wanted too. But the goal is to tire and work the muscle, something I did.

Cardio

Did a 4.0 walk with varying inclines... I went from 5 to a 8 degree incline.

Comments: The first two minutes were a drag and then somehow I found inspiration in me to give myself a kick ass workout. I am not sure what caused it but I decided to play with the inclines quite a bit today... It is said that every degree of incline creates around 10% more work. I agree... I went from 5 to 8 degrees in an HIIT type of workout. I did this for 33 minutes and 33 seconds... I was sweating like a pig and it felt good! I can't run just yet due to knee aggrivation, so this is the next best thing... It sure gets my heart rate up.

Overall Workout: 9/10

Why?: Because I lifted just awesomely today and decided to kick my own ass on the treadmill. It felt awesome :D

ArchAngel777
01-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Well, I went to the gym today and right after my warmup, I noticed that my lower right back muscle was feeling a bit of mild pain when I would bend over slightly. So, I really couldn't do deadlifts and since I already worked my upper body the day before, I really didn't have many options. So I decided to do some light circuit training and did about 20 minutes of that to keep my heart rate up. Basically what I will do is cycle through many machine lifts and give myself very little rest time, tops is 30 seconds. So, I will use abnout 60% of my normal weight and do 10 reps and move on the to the next. Because this training was somewhat rare, I didn't record any of it. No need too really.

I finished up with a really good cardio session. I walked 3.8 with a 5 to 10 degree incline for 24 minutes. That 10 degree walk is more difficult than running a pace of 7.0 for me... In fact, a high enough incline is almost like stair climber at a slightly different angle.

Why?: I put some good effort in today despite being unable to do the lift I planned to do. Maybe tomorrow my lower right back will heal up and I can do the dead lifts.

ArchAngel777
01-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Mirror Mirror on the wall, who is the fattest one of all?

Thankfully, not me any longer. I was able to spot my ribs today (without trying to see them! Woohoo!) I still have more fat to loose, of course, but the progress is just going great! My arms and legs are showing some good definition and my gut is now flat, but I still have some fat there and some love handles still. It is amazing how much the love handles have shrunk! I cannot wait until February 7th, my third month of lifting and eating healthy.

Gabriel's Special Chocolate Shakes!

I am really enjoying these protien shakes! I have been eating/drinking one every day. I use 1 and 1/2 cups of milk, 1 and 1/2 scoups of Whey Chocolate Protien, and 1/2 of a perfectly ripe Banana. It results in a world class shake that tastes so great! Of course, this is also a danger to me. Having something I enjoy that much can cause me to lose control if I am not careful. But I have to say, these shakes are the best thing I have tasted in months.

Intuitive Eating

I have been pretty much a believer in this practice. It has helped me really listen to my body. For instance, last night I had 2 chicken breasts and two whole egss. I finished everything except my last chicken breast and asked myself "Am I really hungry for this?" I listened to my body and put the chicken breast away in the fridge and saved it for today's lunch.

After eating like a pig these last six years, it is very easy to think you are still hungry when you are not. So, it does take careful listening to your body. I still eat a lot of food, but I keep my portion sizes down. In other words, I eat all the time, but never two plates full. I generally eat 5 - 7 meals a day anywhere from 300 to 600 calories in size.

Learning to change your lifestyle.

Most people fail to stick with a program because it is too rigid and unforgiving. People are so obessed with being 100% right, that when they reach only 93% for the week they give up and go back to their old habbits. This is why we should always allow ourselves some slack in our eating. Of course we should go cold turkey on something like donuts for the rest of our lives, but I think it is safe to eat Pizza, Lasanga, etc every once in a while in moderation. The trick is if you do have to eat something unhealthy (Party, Friends house, etc...) then watch the portion size!

Well, back to work... Blah...

ArchAngel777
01-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Warmup

Biked for 8 minutes at a moderate pace

Weights

Power Cleans

135 X 6
150 X 6
150 X 6
185 X 2
185 X 3
185 X 2
185 X 3
185 X 1

Power Snatch

135 X 1
135 X 1
150 X 1
150 X 1
150 X 1

Overhead Squats

135 X 2
135 X 2

Comments: Balance is difficult today, I had a hard time... The legs can handle the weight, but the upperbody is having a hard time balancing/controlling it.

Cardio

HIIT 3.8 mph walk @ 2 - 5 - 10 degree inclines... Very difficult, and lasted 33 minutes and 33 seconds.

Why?: It was a light day, and I really hit it hard on the cardio... I felt I did a great job.

ArchAngel777
01-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Warmup

12 minutes with 2.0 incline @ 3.6 - 3.8 mph

Weights

Incline Bench Press

Bar X 10
Bar X 10
135 X 6
135 X 6
135 X 6

Flat Bench Press

Bar X 10
Bar X 10
135 X 10
135 X 10
135 X 10

Comments: Going to try and train my shoulder to deal with this lift again. Going light and gradually building it up again may allow me to cure the shoulder injury when doing these.

Tricep Pull Downs

40 X 15
40 X 15
40 X 15
40 X 15

Comments: These were done with a very fast tempo... Nowhere near failure, light workout.
Peck Deck

60 X 15
60 X 15
60 X 15

Comments: These felt good, again, very light.

Straight Bar curls

50 X 15
50 X 15

Comments: I used to love curls way back in the day... Now I hate them. I really dislike working that muscle group, because it is the most painful in my experience. I would rather Squat than do bicepts.

Decline Situps, contrant tension

Body Weight X 20
Body Weight X 20

Comments: These are pretty difficult, the decline is pretty steep and I make sure that I don't rest on the way down. As I am losing fat and becoming stronger, these are becoming easier for me to do. I don't work the abs much because they get worked in so many other lifts.

Cardio

Walked with incline 5 - 12 @ 3.8 mph.

Comments: This took everything out of me... It was one of those days where I felt like killing myself with cardio was a great thing to do. Basically, I had the best cardio session in months. I went for a duration of 33 minutes and 33 seconds and most of my time was spent at the 10 degree incline, the rest was a split between 7.5 and 12 degree incline. I was very tired after this workout and I am feeling it today!

Overall Rating: 10/10

Why?: Went light with the weights and gave every thing I had to my cardio workout. This is one of those workouts that cannot do every day and would be hard pressed to do one every week. Muscles felt good and worked... Amazing how even light weights can give the "burn"...

ArchAngel777
01-11-2006, 12:41 PM
That was last nights workout as the forum was down... Woke up feeling good... Wife had the ultra sound done today and it turns out the Baby is perfectly healthy... According to the doctor, it will be taller than myself more than likely... We didn't find out if it is a boy or a girl, but now I want to know... Plus, chances are that it will be a boy since most girls are not found to be 5'10" +... I told my wife that I sort of want to know now... Heheh...

I am pretty sure we are going to name him Gabriel (If indeed it is a boy) after myself... I love the name that my parents gave me and I think I will pass it on to my son (please be son!!! please!!!).

Ok, I admit, I want it to be a son... I don't think I can deal with a daughter.

Here is a picture an engagement picture of me and my wife. It was takin in 2004 when I was about 235 pounds. I am pretty healthy at that weight... I am now 229, so I less of a man than I was when I met my wife! For once I can be proud of that! LOL... Anyway, I was 260 3 months ago, but I don't have any pictures to show it much... I was a fatty, that is for sure.

http://home.comcast.net/~gabegrinstead/gabevn1.jpg

Meat_Head
01-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Nice journal and inspirational story! Looks like you're definately on the right track to meet your goals. Glad to hear the baby is healthy.

ArchAngel777
01-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Nice journal and inspirational story! Looks like you're definately on the right track to meet your goals. Glad to hear the baby is healthy.

Thanks for the encouragement :D I noticed you were doing pretty well in your journal well well.

Take care,

Gabriel

Guido
01-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Very nice progress so far. Stick with it and keep posting in here. Finding this website is one of the best things that ever happened to me, and you're learning why.

ArchAngel777
01-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the note Guido.

Last nights workout...

Warmup

Walk 2.0 incline @ 3.6 - 3.8 for 12 minutes.

Weights

Power Cleans

135 X 10
135 X 6
135 X 5
135 X 2 (Snatch Clean Grip)
135 X 6

Comments: I had no energy to do these... I just pretty much farted around today with no clear goal in mind (I do that on very light days).

Power Snatch

135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1

Comments: Cannot drop the weights in my gym, so the snatch is difficult to do more than one rep, since a lot of energy goes into bring it down safely.

Cardio

Walking 5.0 - 10 incline at 3.8 mph for a 38 minutes.

Comments: This kicked butt, the first three minutes I wanted to give up, after that I "found" energy to give myself a very difficult cardio session. I was impressed! It seems to be a trend lately... If I stick it out (always do) past around 3 minutes, I find a ton of energy to kick my butt on cardio... Not sure why this is... Anyway, it makes the first three minutes seem like an eternity.

Why?: Weights were meager, but the cardio was great!

ArchAngel777
01-12-2006, 08:35 PM
No weights today, just cardio. I biked for 36 minutes at a very high intensity after I was warmed up and then ended with a decent pace walk on the treadmill for an additional 12 minutes.

Over Rating: 8/10

Why?: Did a great workout in a short amount of time.

ArchAngel777
01-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Horrible workout, not worth mentioning, really.

I took my wife out to Ruby's Tuesday where I had my first real cheat meal in 2.5 months. I had a turky burger (1/2 of it). Good stuff, good time with my wife.

The night went well, despite the horrible workout tonight. I knew it would be bad though, I didn't want to even walk in the door, I could barely keep my balance, yeah, today was bad.

ArchAngel777
01-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Took the weekend off for the most part and was comtemplating on whether I would take this week off. Since I have only been training about 10 weeks, I think I will train about 6 more weeks than take a dedicated week off and then resume my cut.

I have made a lot of progress, but I am still feel like I am fat... My wife doesn't think so, but I still have some love handles and some stomach fat, everything else seems to be been stripped off of me.

I almost gave up my diet this weekend... Even the most determined people (myself) have our week moments. But, I decided what I was feeling was emotional and that it was time to learn to detect those feelings and dispel them.

I am going to the gym in 15 minutes, I hope that I don't wimp out and go easy. I plan to hit it hard and will probably end up doing Squats hevy today. I hate doing them though, the last time I did Squats, the top of my spinal cord where the big bone is was killing for days! I cannot seem to find a comfortable way for that bar to rest on me... I don't want to damage the bone, but it feels so bruised for days after that it is difficult to and so on. If anyone has tips for that, let me know...

Well, I will report back with the workout tonight (I hope).

Take care,

Gabriel

ArchAngel777
01-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Warmup

12 minute walk with 2.0 incline @ 3.8 mph

Weights

Power Cleans

135 X 5
165 X 3
185 X 1
205 X 1
215 X 1
225 X 1 + Jerk :strong:
205 X 3
185 X 4
185 X 4
185 X 3
185 X 1 + Military Press :strong:
135 X 5

Comments: Feeling good! I was impressed with my Military Press (locked legs, minmal arch) and the cleans! I did 225, so I am gaining some strength still during this cut. The clean was rather clean, pun intended. I was very happy with this workout.

Cardio

Biked 12 minutes @ level 10 on Random followed immediately with a 34 minutes walk inclined at 7.5 degrees for 34 minutes. Total Cardio Time = 46 minutes.

Overall Rating: 9/10

Why?: Gained ten pounds on my cleans, gained an extra rep with 205, Military Pressed 185 X 1 for 3 sets and did a truckload of Cardio.

ArchAngel777
01-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Feeling good today. I woke up with little to no soreness and felt pretty well rested, however, another hour of sleep would have been preferrable. My weight seems to be stabalizing, however, my physique is still improving and my midsection is still shrinking. It seems odd that my weight hasn't budged much in the last week, but then again I have to remember that 2-3 pounds could be water and food weight alone.

If anything I can attest to is that my cardio level is at least 10 times better than it was before... Now I can do many activities without being winded and it does feel great.

ArchAngel777
01-18-2006, 09:25 AM
Warmup

12 minute walk at 2.0 incline @ 3.8 mph

Weights

Bench Press

Bar X 20
135 X 6
165 X 5
185 X 4
205 X 4

Incline Bench Press

Bar X 10
135 X 5
165 X 4
185 X 3
205 X 2

Peck Deck

100 X 12
160 X 6
120 X 10

Lateral Pulldowns

100 X 12
160 X 6
180 X 5

Tricep Pulldowns

50 X 12
50 X 12

Decline Situps

X ?? Just did them until I was tired.

Overall Rating: 7/10

Why?: Same old...

Anthony
01-18-2006, 09:39 AM
That's an awesome clean & jerk. My clean is my weakness. :(

ArchAngel777
01-22-2006, 07:37 PM
I have not posted a workout recently and just wanted to make note why. I have been taking it quite a bit easy this past week. I have indeed worked out a few times, but nothing super serious. If I am not going to be doing a hardcore workout, there seems little interest in myself logging it lately. Same old and same old, because I am cutting, nothing new and interesting will likely be happening.

1) The Diet is still completely in tact

2) Weight is still coming off of me

3) Feeling a bit weaker lately... I think I may get a few ECA stacks for my workout. I wanted to avoid them, so I might just get some caffeine or what not.

4) February 7th is my weigh in day, that will be three months since I changed my diet and started at the gym, so I will be sure to post my official weight weigh then, it will be easier to track my progress month to month rather than week to week, I believe.

Anthony: Thanks! It isn't that much weight, but I tell you one thing, I am using pretty good form. There is a friend of mine who hang cleaned 315 like 6 - 8 times and I couldn't believe my eyes... Of course, it was the WORST form I had ever seen, but hey, the dude did it with ease... Interestingly he found that hang cleans were easier than power cleans, but I don't seem to feel that way. Anyone else thing hang cleans are easier? Perhaps with bad form they are.

ArchAngel777
01-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Murdered my back yesterday... Just a quick rehash of what I did last night.

Snatch Grip Dead Lift

135 X 2
225 X 1
275 X 1
315 X 1 (My grip nearly gave out, I barely got it back down on the floor, gently.)

Clean Grip Dead Lift

135 X 3
225 X 2
275 X 1
315 X 1
345 X 1 (Grip was giving me troubles at this point)

Leg Press

315 X 5
405 X 5
495 X 4 (Pulls an abdominal muscle for some strange reason on this set, it was very painful (still is). Feeling better this morning though.

That was about it...

ArchAngel777
01-27-2006, 09:00 AM
Last Wednesay I worked upper body. Decided to go on flat bench today and try some heavy stuff.

Bench Press

Bar X 10
135 X 6
185 X 4
205 X 4
225 X 2
245 X 3
265 X 1

Incline Bench Press

Bar X 8
135 X 8
185 X 5
205 X 3

Peck Deck

120 X 10
120 X 10

Tricep Pull Downs

60 X 12
60 X 12

Lateral Pull Downs

160 X 8
180 X 7
180 X 6

Why?: Slow pace, no cardio... Just working on my cut and trying to avoid burn out.

ArchAngel777
01-31-2006, 08:37 AM
Weights

ATF Squats

Bar X 5
135 X 5
225 X 2
265 X 1
275 X 1
285 X 1
255 X 2

Power Cleans

135 X 1
185 X 1
205 X 1
215 X 1
225 X 1
225 X 1
185 X 1

Cardio

4.0 Incline walk at 4.0 mph for 30 minutes

Why?: Decent lifting, surprised I was able to Power Clean 225 so easy after squatting, perhaps I have gained more on that lift. Squats felt good, but the 285 felt heavy... I have a stick point about 1 - 2 inches above parallel, I really need to get that area stronger, I believe. I am still working on form, my C7 vertebrae isn't hurting much anymore, I guess it becomes dulled to pain after a few sessions.

KevinStarke
01-31-2006, 08:44 AM
Good looking workouts man, solid benching and squatting.

ArchAngel777
01-31-2006, 09:05 AM
The 'cut' is going well still. I have not weighed myself and won't until my February 7th check-in. My goal is to be 220, but I think I will be more around 225 due to the weight loss slowing down recently. I have took an inventory of my eating and found I have increased the calories slowly over this diet and am now eating around 2,100 - 2,400. That should still be sufficient to continue my cut. If I have too, I will drop the calories down a notch if my weight doesn't seem to move down.

Hard to believe how much fat we are capable of holding. My love handles are way smaller and every week they get smaller, however, they are still there. Though I no longer would I consider myself fat (I am my worst critic, same for most people) I am still not where I want to be yet.

I said this time I won't quit short, I will go until my goal. I said I would cut until my baby is born and I will do it! June 6th is when the baby is due and that gives me another 5 solid months of cutting.

A possible plan is to up my calories to 2,800 - 3,000 when March 7th comes along and keep that up for 2 solid weeks and then bring the calories back down to 2,400 ish and cut for another 3.5 months.

Whatever the case, I will keep the progress updated here every so often.

ArchAngel777
01-31-2006, 08:34 PM
Thanks Kevin!

Warmup

4.0 incline walk at 3.8 - 4.0mph for 12 minutes

Weights

Incline Bench Press

Bar X 10
135 X 6
185 X 4
205 X 3
225 X 2
245 X 1

Military Press

Bar X 6
135 X 3
165 X 1
185 X 1

Power Snatch

135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
150 X 1
150 X 1
150 X 1

Comments: I did these because all four flat bench benches were being used. Actually, only three of them were, but the guys decided that one of the benches was their personal coat rack. Doesn't really bother me, I am sure they don't mean to do it. I am not one to get on anyone's bad side, it isn't worth it to get into it with someone when I can simply be patient and come back to some open benches.

Bench Press

Bar X 10
135 X 6
185 X 4
205 X 3
225 X 2
245 X 3

Peck Deck

120 X 12
120 X 12

Tricep Pull Downs

60 X 12
80 X 10
80 X 10
90 X 5

Lateral Pull Downs

160 X 10
180 X 8
180 X 7 (behind neck)

Cardio

6.0 Incline Walk @ 4.0 mph for 38 minutes, including 3 minute cool down.

Why?: Wow, where to start? All of my lifts were great... I had picked up some stuff at the GNC called 'Stacker 2 (Ephedra Free)' because I wanted to suppliment my workouts with Caffeine. Well, they didn't have straight up caffeine and that seemed as good as any source for it. So I am taking it only for the caffeine (extra energy) during this cut. I took 200mg 1 hour before my workout and I clearly felt much more energenic. Keep in mind though, I don't normally ingest caffeine, in fact, no food that I eat contains it. The closest thing is Hot Cocoa, no sugar added which is 99.99% free of caffeine. So going from no caffeine for 3 months to 200mg is quite a wakup to the body. I am sure as time goes on, I will be less responsive to it. My Goal is to only take it on workout days and only 1 pill. That way I don't become addicted to it or rely on it.

So, my lifes were great today. I felt really good and still have a bundle of energy. I just had to quit the treadmill, I could have kept going and moved up the intensity quite a bit, but then I have to pull the reigns back, because I know too much cardio isn't great.

Meat_Head
02-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Nice workout! Lots of variety, but still simple :thumbup:

ArchAngel777
02-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Nice workout! Lots of variety, but still simple :thumbup:

Thanks.

I slept like crap last night though... That Caffeine isn't just a placebo after all. I spent the entire night trying to get to sleep, only time out just when I finally did (7:00am) that I had to get up in an hour... That really sucked royally. I am going to have to take the caffeine pills around noon to ensure that I can get a good night sleep. Yesterday I took them at 5:00pm and went to sleep at 11:00, so I guess 6 hours is not enough time for it to wear off.

YAWN... Now I am going to take the day off from lifting and possibly tomorrow as well. Friday I will do Squats or Dead Lifts heavy.

ArchAngel777
02-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Short light workout today... I wasn't planning on going in today but the addiction pulled me in. Just did some light snatches (135) and cleans (185). Nothing serious and nothing to slow my recovery time, low volume...

ArchAngel777
02-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Feeling very sore today... It looks like Friday's workout isn't going to be. I am planning to take tonight and tomorrow off and lift Saturday. I will most likely be doing Dead Lifts followed by some Leg Pres Action.

Now the part I need to work on is my ability to rest... I have to stay away from the gym... I have to stay away... stay away... away... Away from the gym until Saturday morning.

ArchAngel777
02-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Good night rest, I feel great today. I have to avoid the gym tonight again and I think I will be in perfect condition for tomorrow's morning workout. I am planning to do Dead Lifts still followed by some cleans if my back isn't too shot. I hope I can hit a 400 pound dead lift soon... 4 more days until my weigh in.

ArchAngel777
02-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Today's workout was great... I went on an empty stomach and hadn't eaten any food for 16 or so hours. Took my caffeine pill about 1 hour before the workout and just let loose... :D

Warmup

4 degree incline @ 4.0 mph for 12 minutes.

Weights

Power Cleans

Bar X 1
135 X 1
185 X 1
205 X 1
215 X 1
225 X 1
225 X 1
225 X 1
225 X 1

Dead Lifts

275 X 1
325 X 1
355 X 1
375 X 1
395 X 0.2 - I failed, it didn't feel right
385 X 1

3" Platform Dead Lifts

325 X 1
345 X 1
355 X 1
365 X 1

Snatch Grip Dead Lifts

295 X 0.0... Failed, I coudn't move it, I must have exhausted my muscles
275 X 1 Tore my pinky callous off... Ouch, that hurt...

ATF Squats

Bar X 3
135 X 1
225 X 1
255 X 1
255 X 1
255 X 0.5 I failed on the way up, because I raised the safety bars and it screwed up the lift.. :-(

Cardio

4 - 8 degree incline @ 4.0 mph for 33 minutes and 33 seconds.

Why?: Awesome workout... Just awesome. My Dead Lifts felt great and were just plain awesome. I figured out my Squat form... I found that putting my arms out wide on the bar, towards the ends raises my traps so that the weight doesn't really rest on my C7 vertebrae. Good to know... Before, due to crappy Squat rack, I was scared I was going to pinch my fingers off so I would hold the bar like a clean width during the squat. This in turn didn't allow me traps to really flair out and handle the weight. I expect my Squats to go up in weight now that I have that figured out. Cardio was great! Wow, today felt great.

ArchAngel777
02-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Yep, I knew it... My back is very sore today. But the good kind of sore... I am very excited to get back into lifting. Being on a cut and still regaining my strength back is very encouraging. My goals for June 6th are the following...

Bench Press 315 RAW
Dead Lift 475 RAW
ATF Squat 345 RAW

All of those are very high optimistic goals, but I think with some dedication I can pull it off.

brickt.
02-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Decided you needed some :spam: and a complimentary hello and goodluck.

Hello, and goodluck. :D

ArchAngel777
02-05-2006, 06:52 PM
Decided you needed some :spam: and a complimentary hello and goodluck.

Hello, and goodluck. :D

KevinStarke
02-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Nice strength man workouts are lookin strong

ArchAngel777
02-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Nice strength man workouts are lookin strong

Thanks Kevin!

Still sore today... You know, those dead lifts worked my upper back more than ever. Tonight is upper body without the back, since it was hit far too hard last Saturday. I am hoping for Wednesday Squats...

KevinStarke
02-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Kill it man

ArchAngel777
02-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Warmup

4 degree incline walk at 4.0 mph for 12 minutes

Weights

Bench Press

Bar X 10
135 X 6
185 X 3
225 X 2
245 X 1
265 X 1
275 X 1

Incline Bench Press

Bar X 6
135 X 5
185 X 3
205 X 1
225 X 1
245 X 1

Military Press

Bar X 6
135 X 3
165 X 1
185 X 0, couldn't move it, must have been tired from bench/incline
155 X 3

Peck Deck

120 X 12
140 X 8

Tricep Pulldowns

80 X 10
80 X 7

Curls

75 X 8
95 X 8

Cardio

4.0 degree incline walk at 4.0 mph for 26 minutes and 30 seconds.

Why?: Great workout... Every lift seems to go up in weight every week. I think next week I will be working Military Press so I can get a better feel for what I can lift. I always do it after I am wore out. Hoping for my back/legs to be healed up for Wednesday for Squats.

KevinStarke
02-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Awesome benching man you've got some good strength.

ArchAngel777
02-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Awesome benching man you've got some good strength.

Thanks for the encouragement Kevin! Well, tomorrow morning I will be posting my weight. I made sure I didn't attempt to skew the results, so I am drinking plenty of water and am waiting for the honest scale... I am feeling that I may be around 227, my gut feeling.

LaxProdigy
02-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Looks like you have a lot of good enthusiasm and will power, keep it up. Good luck at your weigh in tomorrow, but no matter what the scale reads I think it's safe to say that you've made excellent progress thus far.

P.S: make sure you're getting enough rest in while on your cut!

Good luck!

ArchAngel777
02-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Looks like you have a lot of good enthusiasm and will power, keep it up. Good luck at your weigh in tomorrow, but no matter what the scale reads I think it's safe to say that you've made excellent progress thus far.

P.S: make sure you're getting enough rest in while on your cut!

Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement! I always get around 8-9 hours of sleep a night...No one takes that away from me :D

ArchAngel777
02-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Weigh in this morning... Well, I was surprised to be at 221.8 pounds of weight.

Awesome progress thus far and I cannot wait to see what happens in these next two months...

Edit **

Total Weight loss approx 38.2 pounds in 3 months. 12.73 pounds per month... I assume some of it could have been LBM, but I keep getting stronger and have not noticed anything getting smaller, except my gut. Probably some was extra water. At any rate, I am pretty impressed thus far.

ArchAngel777
02-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Took the wife out last night. We parked in the Fort Snelling 'Park & Ride' and took the light rail to downtown Minneapolis. It was very cold up, but we may our way up 7th street to 1st Ave and enjoyed a great dinner at the 'Hard Rock Cafe'. They make some great burgers... Of course, I can only eat about 1/2 of it before I am full these days. After the years of stuffing my face until I can barely move, it is so enjoyable to eat a great tasting meal and still feel like I could run a mile right after it. In other words, I eat until I am full, not stuffed.

On a side note, I don't feel very safe in some areas of DTM... There are some wierd people, crazy people down in that part of town. Good thing that Police Officers can be found every other corner, or so. But they are always dealing with something else... Anyway, I think maybe next time I will stick to some more safe regions.

Last night was two years we had been together (not married though) so that is what we were celebrating oh, and my weight loss for 3 months just happened to fall on that day as well... :D

Today is Squats (I think)... I am not sure if I am sore or not right now... I think I may feel a little faint soreness, so I am not sure if I should do them tonight or not. I will go for a mild walk at lunch to see if I loosen up and then decide of Squats are going to be done tonight.

ArchAngel777
02-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Warmup

4.0 Incline walk at 3.8 mph got 12 minutes

Weights

ATF Squats

Bar X 3
135 X 3
225 X 1
255 X 1
275 X 1
285 X 1 (went up slow)
275 X 1
225 X 3

Power Cleans

135 X 1
185 X 1
205 X 1
215 X 1

Leg Extensions

140 X 10
180 X 10
220 X 6
240 X 6

Cardio

3 minute walk...

Over Rating: 5/10

Why?: Went ok... I was expecting more from my squats, but I guess I can't have it all. 285 went up slow, so I did not bother with 295 since the Squat rack really sucks and I don't trust the level of the safety bars. *Shrugs* probably should have waited until tomorrow, back was tight going on.

ArchAngel777
02-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Did two workouts. One yesterday and one today. Didn't record them, didn't care. It was just a bunch of misc lifts.. Overhead Squats, Power Cleans, Power Snatch, Static Holds, BP, IBP, MP, LP etc... Just a lot of variety and some cardio.

As noted earlier in my journal, if a workout isn't hardcore, I most likely won't be logging it.

Stumprrp
02-12-2006, 02:51 PM
1/2 a burger? WEAKLING! haha sweet lifting man

ArchAngel777
02-13-2006, 08:20 AM
Thanks Stump, right back at you... I think we both have the same goals in mind here. To lose another 20 or so pounds. I am pretty sure if I lose another 20 pounds of fat I should be right where I want to be... But perhaps not. I have noticed that sometimes we are fatter than we realize, yet at the same time, in other ways not as fat as we think we are...

Going to take tonight off and Tuesday since I have to take the lady out again... Then I will hit it hardcore Wednesday and Thursday and leave for Chicago Friday evening... This weekend will be difficult for me, because I will not have access to all my normal healthy foods. I am going to have to find some canned goods or non perishable food items for this trip so I do not have to eat out every evening.

Take care and thanks for everyone who has posted in my journal... Encouragement is great.

Stumprrp
02-13-2006, 08:32 AM
i hear you dude thats exactly what i think, best of luck to you, this week i start a new routine and completly abolish cheat days, oh yippy!

OneBadUnit
02-13-2006, 09:38 AM
I really like the Overall Rating idea..... mind if I steal it? :D

Keep up the good work, and congratz on your progress thus far !!

Guido
02-13-2006, 10:41 AM
Congrats on the benching and on the weight loss! Damn, you're pushing up bigger weights than me now on that bench. :mad:

Meat_Head
02-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Nice pressing arch! You'll be back to your old strength/mass in no time.

KevinStarke
02-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Damn great squats man.

ArchAngel777
02-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Weights

ATF Squats

Bar X 5
135 X 5
225 X 3
255 X 2
245 X 3
225 X 4
225 X 4

Power Cleans

Bar X 1
135 X 1
185 X 1
205 X 1
215 X 1
225 X 1
225 X 0

Overhead Squats

135 X 3
135 X 3
135 X 3
135 X 4
135 X 4

Decline Situps

BW X 10
BW + 10 X 15

Why?: Had a great time... Wow, I think my gym is one of the best here in the US. For starters everyone is cool and friendly, except for a few. I met a few more Power Lifters today. One is from Canada and he flies down every week for his job at Target corp. I guess this fella took a bronze at the world IPF for the 75KG class. He Dead Lifts 560, Squats 565 and Bench Presses 420. Awesome lifter and a great guy.

Then there are the two other guys that I normally see that are going to the meet this weekend. They are going to do well too... Massive, very massive guys. They are in the 198 pound class and are going for 600+ on the DL and Squat and BP somewhere in the 400's... Not bad, not bad at all.

Anyway, the weights went up great today... I wanted to do more, I had so much energy for some reason, but opted not too. I have another hardcore session tomorrow and then it is off for the next 4 days or so.

Today I decided I am going to focus on my squats more. I am embarressed with the weight I can do... I mean, it isn't horrible. But I am not even doing three big plates yet for a single... So, today I decided I am going to lower the weight on them and increase the reps. Since I am not very good at them, I figured singles was certainly not the way to train this muscle group, at least not yet. I want to do everything raw.

Diet is in check even though last night was the most I had eatin in the last 4 months. I probably shouldn't have had the entire meal, but I figured I hadn't carbed up in a while, I needed them.

Oh well, all going well and thanks for the people who responded to my journal! It means a lot when you guys pop in and give me some encouragement.

Take care!

Coke
02-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Everyone should be so lucky to have such a great gym atmosphere as you to train in, it must be super to train around them powerhouses...I truly admire your enthusiam and dedication toward reaching your goals - awesome work the past few months!!...fine journal, the numbers and movements are ace throughout.

ArchAngel777
02-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks Cocoa.

Going to Chicago this weekend and man am I one sore unit right now. My legs are in some major pain from that session Wednesday night... In fact, I took three MotrinIB to help, because I have some neck pain too. Anyway, it has been nearly a year since I have taken an Motrin, I just stuff like that often, but today I did.

Chicago, blah.... I don't want to drive there, but I have a 5 hour drive ahead of me tonight and will be staying in Rockford, and then heading to Chicago around noon. Going to tour the city (hopefully)... But holy cow is it cold out here right now... -4 or something and it is supposed to get -20 later this week.

Well, take care!

ArchAngel777
02-20-2006, 11:37 PM
Warmup

4 degree incline walk at 4 mph for 8 minutes.

Weights

Squats

Bar X 6
135 X 5
225 X 1
255 X 3
225 X 5
225 X 5
225 X 3
225 X 4
225 X 5

Comments: Squats were making me light headed... I hit them harder than ever... One set gave me a mild head-ache. Made sure I was breathing properly, I was... Good numbers though... The last set it might have been possible to get 6, but I might have passed out.

Power Cleans

135 X 3
185 X 1
205 X 1
205 X 1
205 X 1
185 X 1
185 X 1

Power Snatch

135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1

Leg Extentions

240 X 8
260 X 8
300 X 6

Cardio

HIIT 12 minutes alternating from 4 to 12 degree incline at 4 - 4.5 mph.

Why?: Great workout... I can't wait to see my Squats take off due to hard work. I hope I will be repping with 315 5 X 5 within a year... But we shall see.

ArchAngel777
02-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Weighed in this morning at 217.4 pounds. Not bad, that is a 4.4 drop since I measure two weeks ago, which is an estimated 2.2 pounds of weight per week. However, I could just have one glass of water less in me, or even two.

I was in Chicago this weekend and came back late Sunday night. First of all, I will never go to Chicago in the winter again. Even though I am from Minnesota and used to the cold, it was just to darn cold out to enjoy Chicago. Even the locals there were saying "My face is freezing after a block of walking" etc... It was a terrible weekend for visiting that place.

Second, I doubt I will drive there next time. I think I will just fly there and use the great transit system they have. Driving is such a pain there, not because I can't handle the traffic (Lord knows I can, since I have drive Chicago through Rush Hour). However, finding parking is a royal pain, even in some of the outer areas of the city. Not to mention theft and hit and runs that happen... Essentially, a nice car will not stay nice there for long. So I am definately going to be flying next time.

We ate at two great places. One place was a Grecian (greek) restaurant and the other was a Middle Eastern restaurant. Both places were great. At the grecian place I had salmon with some form of potato and rice, etc... It was great. But the Middle Eastern place was the best. Had a Steak Kabob, White Persian Rice, and a Lamb Leg right on the bone. Oh wow, the food was so great. So two thumbs up for both of those places.

My Lower Back is very sore today, strange because if I would have bet any money, I would have thought that my legs would be very sore, but oddly, they are not. Sometimes weight lifting is rather, peculiar. I find that I am never able to predict (on a regular basis) what will or will not be sore. Anyway, all is good because I can walk this morning.

As noted earlier, I have decided (and have done it thus far) to work my legs like they never have before. To go hardcore on squats and not to wimp out on them. So far I think it is going great, except for almost fainting after the set. I am breathing well and carefully on the lifts, but they just take so much out of you.

I am sort of planning to do Squats 5-6 times a month and then DL once a month. The DL I am naturally good at, but since I am going to focus on my weekness, I need to devote most of my lower body workouts to squatting and squatting alone.

Coke
02-21-2006, 09:43 AM
Glad to hear you liked the trip to Chicago in spite of damn near getting frostbite - to go there in the summer is sweet especially if you get near the lake where everyone chills to the max. Good thing you could walk after the session, nice plan for the squats - hit'em up bigtime.

ArchAngel777
02-21-2006, 09:57 AM
Glad to hear you liked the trip to Chicago in spite of damn near getting frostbite - to go there in the summer is sweet especially if you get near the lake where everyone chills to the max. Good thing you could walk after the session, nice plan for the squats - hit'em up bigtime.

Thanks! I am hoping for some major gains on my squats.

That is the plan, to go there in the falls. The reason we went this weekend was because my wife is in the second trimester of her pregnancy and traveling in the third isn't going to happen. Additionally, traveling with a baby isn't the best idea either.

ArchAngel777
02-25-2006, 12:05 AM
Well, I had a great workout, but I don't feel like logging it. I will share a few things from Wednesday's workout though.

First of all, I worked out with Tom (75Kg weight class, Bronze Medalist for his weight class). First of all, the great is great. I gave him a few lift off's for his bench and I was just sort of taking it easy. He asked me if I wanted to dead lift with him. My lower back was extremely sore as a result of working it very hard Monday. So at first I told him I want to, but that I shouldn't be doing the Dead Lift since my back is healing. He was cool with that... But then I was like, you know, this guy is great, I should just do it anyway. So I told him I changed my mind and would love to Dead Lift. So we loaded the bar etc and did our warmups. I put on what I thought was 385 (It wasn't but I did my math wrong) and did it with great form. He said "Wow, that was easy" I was like "You sure dude? My back didn't feel flat completely." HE said "Yes, it was flat, I was watching and you got that up easily. You should try 405 next time" I said "Ok"...

So, I put on 405 knowing that it was 20 pounds more ( I thought it was 20 pounds more, but it wasn't... More on that later) and I was like "There is no way I can get this"... So I tried to get it up and failed. It just didn't feel right. So as we are taking the weight off I said "Wait a minute, did I do 385 before or 395?" He said "I was going to wait to tell you, but you did 395 last time" I was like "Damn it! Then I failed to get this 405 up from psychological reasons" He said "Absolutely, you could have done it". So, oh well... But I know one thing for sure, that if I was rested up, 405 would have been mine EASILY!

He also was telling me that he trains Squats, Dead Lifts and Bench Press every workout and that he works out every other day. He also said that he is never sore, never. He explained to me that he spent months just searching web sites and learning technique to give him an edge... In fact, he has all the Japanise websites bookmarked for their Bench Press methods with PVC tube for arching his back. He explained to me why arching was better and gave me the method for it. After learning this, I finally understand why arching is better. I didn't know the complete technique behind it.

He also explained to me that he never works anywhere near his max lifts. I believe 80% is a very heavy day for him and he generally works 60 - 70%. I learned a lot from him... Also asked him about sumo stance for squatting versus regular. He said I have studied this and found many of the bulgarian lifters, the guys who are always top in the world do not use sumo squat, not a one. But they all use Sumo Dead Lift...

Anyway, Tom is an awesome guy! and his lifts right now are 420 Bench Press, 608 Squat and 570 Dead Lift @ 5'7" and 170ish pounds. Amazing, absolutely amazing lifter. Surprised me greatly when he told me he didn't start training until he was 27, 3 years ago.

Ok well, that is all I have to say for now... On a side note, I have been rather discouraged over my weight loss. For one, I know that I have not lost any muscle mass, or rather, anything significant... But after reviewing my body composition I am still in the 19-21% range. Or, rather, not still, but down in that range. I did some calculations and since I was 260 before I started and I figured my LBM is around 170 - 175 that I was around 32 - 33% body fat. I cannot believe I let myself get that big... More importantly I am still a fat ass right now sitting at 19 - 21% visually. It is like, 4 months of hard ass work and I guess I expected more. But at the same time, I am amazed at my progress. It is almost like dual personality in me right now. One saying "Look how awesome you have done" and another saying "Dude, you only have 3 more monst to hit the 10-12 BF range, you won't make it, mine as well give up" I am like!!! Damn, they are both right, so which one do I trust?

So at 260 lbs., I was about 33% body fat.

So at 217 lbs., I am about 20% body fat.

43 pounds of fat = 13% loss in body fat... So how much more before I am in the 10% range? Yikes... Well, according to my calculations another 21.7 lbs of fat need to be lost and if I plan to get to 6-7% like I am really aiming for, I will need to be around 189, assuming no LBM is lost... Statisticly speaking, I am at the very least 28 pounds from my goal, which at 2 pounds a week is around 14 more weeks, otherwise known as 3.5 months, which is just in time for my Baby to be born. Now, I am perfectly aware that I will not be able to lose 2 pounds a week for much longer, so most likely, for sake of my dissapointing myself, I am aiming for 12% by June 6th. A loss in 8% total... So, I am looking forward to seeing how June 6th comes up. Now the time is to decide whether I remain strict, or whether I losen up a bit more and slow the process down. I am quite divided on the issue, because on the one hand, I want to make sure I get my goal. But on the other hand, I know that sometimes the body plateaus when placed hunder a lot of stress, such as a restricted calorie diet for so long... We shall see and I plan to weigh in every two weeks or so. Hoping to be 213 by March 7th.

Following goal is:

March 7th, 2006: 213 lbs.
March 21st, 2006: 209 lbs.
April 7th, 2006: 206
April 21st, 2006: 203
May 7th, 2006: 200
May 21st, 2006: 197
June 7th, 2006: 195 (Baby is due the day before)
June 27th, 2006: 192 @ 8% BF (My Birthday)

This plan seems pretty reasonable to me... I don't think it is over ambitious in the slightest. Basically I am shooting for 6 - 7 pounds my first month and then lowering it down to 3-5 the last month. Perfectly reasonable, I think. However, this is assuming that I do not lose any LBM, but on a side note, I could always gain some (since it does happen in some cases).

OMG, this is a long post! I doubt anyone will real all of it (Nor would I expect/want them too) these are just my thoughts on paper, in public display and a way to reinforce my drive to continue with my fitness/health.

KevinStarke
02-25-2006, 07:37 AM
So he benchs, squats, and deadlifts every other day?

Coke
02-25-2006, 07:51 AM
So he benchs, squats, and deadlifts every other day?

I know of a guy who trains that way consistently with the big 3 and then throws in some other stuff here and there.

You are better than you think you are Gabe, pulled off those heavier deads like nothing, great job.

Your plan looks very resonable imo, even if you lost a pound every week for several weeks that would be ace.

ArchAngel777
02-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Kevin - Yeah, he works out that much... But I think his success lies in the fact that he has great genetics and he never trains till exhaustion.

Cocoa - Thanks for the kind words. I am certainly not horrible by any definition and I know that, but at the same time, I am still way, way behind in the game right now. I know I can catch up, somewhat, to some of you guys. I would be happy if I could fill the gap within a 200 - 300 total of the big three from some of you big guys.

Today as squats... My lower back was sore, but since I am primary interested in working my legs, I went through with the session.

ATF Squats

Bar X 3
135 X 2
225 X 1
225 X 1
245 X 1
265 X 1
265 X 1
250 X 4
250 X 3
250 X 2
250 X 1

Power Cleans

135 X 2
185 X 1
205 X 1

HIIT Cardio... I started running and decided that I will be doing sprint type running in HIIT form for my cardio. So, I ran around 9.0 @ 1.0 incline for a 1-2 minutes then would kick it back to 4.0 fast walk for another 1-2 minutes and back and forth I went... Did this for 26 minutes and holy cow, I have never worked out so hard in my life. Not to mention that I felt great!

Take care!

ArchAngel777
02-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Wow, long day... Well, I just did a few heavy sets of Bench Press and Lat Pulldowns. Went up to 255 on bench press for a single and 200 for lateral pulldowns for 6.

I finished with HIIT (the purpose of going to the gym today was HIIT). I set the incline to 3 degrees and then set the slow pace of 3.8 mph and then kept the incline for the high end of it and raised the speed to 8.0 mph. All I have to say is that this kicked my butt. I did 5 intervals of it and I am exhausted. Lasted 22 minutes total with the last two minutes at 2.8 mph.

Seriously, I cannot even begin to express how difficult HIIT is over regular endurance training. I am still burning calories and am still out of breath (litterally!) like 1 hour later... I am still sweating at my desk even though I showered and got all cleaned up.

HIIT gets a thumbs up for kicking my ass.

Another goal I should write about is my desire to run a mile under 5:30 again. I was able to get below this a while back. Mind you, running has NEVER been my thing, but I did become quite successful on the mile run, when I was energized. Long distance is NOT my thing, so 1 mile is about the most I really ever want to run without a rest... Of course, now that my body weight is down from obese to overfat, I can now run distance pretty decently with a slow pace (6.5 mph) and maintain for a while (20 mins or so).

About to have a 2/3 lb 93/7 turkey burger tonight... Cooking now... MMMM... I was looking at the difference between 93/7 and 80/20 and holy crap! Huge difference... Like, I would never eat 80/20 (never did) but looking at the label I am reinforcing my belief on that. The meat even goes as low as 74/26 (I think that was right) and that is like twice the calories as 93/7. Now, mind you, I know that even 93/7 isn't the greatest, but it is cheap and I love burgers. Additionally, if it was sold in 97/3 i'd buy it in a minute, but it is not, at least in an affordable manner.

Ok, enough talk about food and turkey/beef... Take care!

Stumprrp
02-26-2006, 06:09 PM
great training in here! just like me sort of, powerlifting mixed with oly and some cardio!

ArchAngel777
02-26-2006, 06:14 PM
great training in here! just like me sort of, powerlifting mixed with oly and some cardio!

Thanks! Currently my training is quite divided. I was going to keep it mostly OL, but PL has been drawing me in a bit more lately. I guess I am becoming more open to the idea of using wraps, belt, suits, etc... However, my goal is to compete RAW, completely if I decide to go the PL route. So right now I am pretty much training both with some HIIT cardio... The goal is to become an all around athlete, rather than just get stuck in a small area of fitness. So basically the decision is whether or not to pick one and stick with it, or to continue to train many ways and become a jack of all trades type lifter. Honestly, jack of all trades almost appeals to me more than master at PL, or OL.

Take care and thanks for stopping in my journal! Grats on below 200! 199 is killer... Not much longer before those abs peek out.

Stumprrp
02-26-2006, 06:21 PM
haha no problem Arch man, haha yeah dude i hope so i cant take this crap cutting anymore ive been cheating so much lol, the only spots with alot of fat on me is my lower stomach, some on the lower sides, and my ass. LOL! hoping 20 more will be good.

i to want to be a good athlete that has a big built and is fast/strong.

Coke
02-27-2006, 06:03 AM
Super atf squats and power cleans man, also doing some nice HIIT cardio training as well.

ArchAngel777
02-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Thanks guys...

Today is a rest day... I want to work out, but I know my body is broken and needs to rest today... Going to take a long nap and watch some TV. I have not watched TV in like 6 years... LOL... I hate the TV, but who knows... Actually, I might purchase a season of the Simpson's and watch it... I do like that show.

ArchAngel777
02-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Weights

Power Cleans
Bar X 3
135 X 1
165 X 1
185 X 1
205 X 1
215 X 1
215 X 1
215 X 1
205 X 1
215 X 1
215 X 1

Comments: Felt heavy today... Oh well.

ATF Squats

135 X 6
225 X 5
225 X 5
225 X 6
225 X 5
225 X 5

Comments: Did well on these, I think... They really get my heart rate going. It takes a good 5 minutes before I am ready for the next set...

Overhead Squats

135 X 3

HIIT Cardio

Biked for 20 minutes. I alternated between level 4 on the bike and level 15. Level 15 according to the bike is 297 kilowatts of energy at 100 RPM. When I would do my minute intervals of L15 (only goes to 16 I believe) I would keep the RPMs at 115 - 120 ish. This is nearly like an all out sprint on a bike. I have no doubt that professional bikers could squat a decent amount of weight. The force required to push down those pedals at L15 is quite a bit. When I was done, I wanted to pass out. That ranked up there with kicking my ass the most possible in a workout.

YAWN... Very tired... I hope I sleep well. I have been neglecting my upper body lately in favor of Squats/Dead Lifts. So I plan to hit it hard tomorrow Bench Press, Peck Deck, Lats and abs...

Take care guys!

Overall Rating: 10/10 ! ! !
Why:? Gave it my best tonight... My absolute best.

brickt.
02-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Wow, how did I miss this journal. Your audience just +1, AA.

Coke
03-01-2006, 06:32 AM
It's gonna be good for you to get moving with those other exercises...surprised you hit the cleans and squats so soon, I'd wait almost a week before doing something again. Very nice effort nonetheless, super biking bro.

ArchAngel777
03-01-2006, 08:35 AM
It's gonna be good for you to get moving with those other exercises...surprised you hit the cleans and squats so soon, I'd wait almost a week before doing something again. Very nice effort nonetheless, super biking bro.

Yeah, I have a tendancy to overtrain, honestly. I always have... I cannot sit back and not workout... Any suggestions? I wasn't sore at all for Squats and I felt completely rested... After tonights workout, I won't be going in Thursday or Friday, a good solid two day rest... But then I plan to do Dead Lifts or Squats that next day (Saturday)... Too soon? Gosh, I don't know if I can live with myself if I don't hit the gym that day.

Well, all of last night my arms kept falling asleep. Common problem with me on lifting days. Anyway, I woke up pretty good. Just mildly sore, nothing serious. Tonight is upper body...

Edit** Forgot to mention that I have increased my water intake immensely. Not that I am not getting enough, but I usually only drink when I am thirsty. So, when I was thirsty I would drink a litre of water in like 2 minutes and then be fine for the next 5 hours... Then the same thing. Sort of like a camel, I guess. But lately I have been forcing myself to drink more. The reason for this is for two reasons. 1) To help my Kidney's out a bit more and 2) To get a more accurate reading when it comes time for my "weigh ins". My thinking is that if I drink more water than I need, I will simply piss it out (all through the night as I wake up and go) and then in the morning I should be ready for the scale each weigh-in. That way, I think I won't have a chance at mistaking weight loss for water loss. You know? I mean, 1/2 gallon alone is 4.16 pounds.

-Brickt- Thanks for stopping by!

Coke
03-01-2006, 09:10 AM
Intentionally drinking more water is really a smart thing to do, keeping yourself hydrated is key.

Training 3 or 4 times per week is the norm, and hitting something once weekly is enough when really going all out.

KevinStarke
03-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Great cleans and ATF's man lookin strong.

ArchAngel777
03-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Weights

Bench Press

Bar X 6
135 X 6
185 X 6
225 X 5
225 X 5
225 X 7
225 X 8

Peck Deck

150 X 8?

Tricep Pushdowns

70 X 10
85 X 8

Lat Pulldowns

150 X 8
180 X 6
200 X 7

Decline Situps

BW X 10

Why?: Not bad, not the best. Just an easy workout. No cardio... Two day rest now after this and Satuday I will be doing Dead Lifts heavy, I think. Then I will push off squats until Wednesday.

I need a rest... I am tired... I might take a full week off here one of these days.

Coke
03-02-2006, 06:08 AM
Hang on in there with everything, it can get taxing at times but a few days rest is all you probably need...good plan on waiting to do squats until midweek. Pulled off some fine upper body work in the meantime dude.

Stumprrp
03-02-2006, 03:40 PM
take the rest bro we all need them

ArchAngel777
03-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Weights

Power Cleans

Bar X 1
135 X 1
155 X 1
175 X 1
185 X 1
205 X 1
205 X 1
205 X 1
205 X 1
205 X 1

Dead Lifts

275 X 3
325 X 1
365 X 1
365 X 1
365 X 1
365 X 1
365 X 1

Comments: Grip was giving me some MAJOR problems today. The hook grip was tearing my thumbs apart... This has never happened before. Bummer...

Cardio

HIIT - 4.0 incline @ 3.8 for the low end and 4.0 incline @ 10.0 on the high end. Heart rate is way up there... Possibly hit near my max heart rate on this session. I was exhausted beyond words can express. Great session all in all, lasted 20 minutes.

Why?: Did pretty good today all in all. One thing I have noticed is that I don't feel as strong anymore... I know why too, my food intake has went down a bit. I should start eating more... 205 Power Cleans felt heavy, but I still got them up easily. 215 would have been cake, but 225 would have probably been a miss. Dead Lifts felt heavy today too... *YAWN*... Well, long, very long day. Going to get plenty of rest tonight and do another HIIT session tomorrow, hopefully.

On a side note, the issue with my old coach had me distracted and quite irritated during my workout, which may have had an effect on it. Not sure why people have to be jerks. I mean, what is so hard about respecting another person's view point? No one says they have to agree with me, or me with them, but at least show some sort of respect being that we are all human and have personal preferences. :-(

Stumprrp
03-04-2006, 08:20 PM
very strong session with the cleans and deads bro, NOICE HIIT also.

Coke
03-05-2006, 11:33 AM
I have come to find that damn near everyone is an expert in this game or anything else for that matter, so don't even sweat it bro and keep doing your own thing. The grip situation happens to us all, those were good deads regardless. Fine and intense stuff on the treadmill Gabe.

ArchAngel777
03-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys!

Today I did

Power Cleans

Bar 3
135 X 3
135 X 12
135 X 12
135 X 1 (20+ times with 5-10 second rest between lift.)

Cardio

HIIT 5.0 incline at 3.5 mph low end and 5.0 incline at 10.0 mph on the high end... Again this session killed me (the cleans wore me out too).

Why?: Awesome lifting session all in all...

ArchAngel777
03-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Well today I was supposed to weigh in, but I didn't feel like it. I am not scared of the scale one bit, but I just am going to wait until April 7th to weigh myself. I am sort of holding my breath for 200 - 205 weight around that time.

Well this week has been awesome. First I have noticed my arms leaning out even more. I can now see the delt head and some seperation between the tricep and bicep. This is of course, not flexed. I can flex and easily see the muscles, but I am more concerned with the look I have when I am relaxed. So, that is going much better!

Second, Today I noticed my legs have gotten a lot leaner. I can now see the some seperation in my quads. I have been avoiding the mirror for the most part. I find that if I look at my problem areas too often, I will become discouraged. Instead, I do my best to not look in the mirror and I don't plan to really take a good hard look until April 7th.

I have taken pictures of about a month ago, but the camera was so low quality it left me depressed. I mean, here I am, can physically see some cut lines in the mirror, but the camera doesn't even show them... Not even a subtle hint. I am like!!!! Grrr! But the camera is VERY cheap, so no wonder I guess.

Overall I am really excited with my progress again thus far. Today was 4 months since I started working out! The change it has made in my face is remarkable! I fit into my dress clothes and impress my wife again. No gut hanging out or anything! It is great to be "Not fat" but that isn't good enough for me now... I want to get ripped. I am going to head for 8% body fat, for sure. If I can get leaner than that, I will.

Todays training was

Power Cleans/Squat Cleans

135 X 1 (Did singles about 20 - 30 times working on my front squat form and squat clean.

Bench Press

135 X 6 (very very slowly...)
135 X 8 (very very slowly...)
135 X 8 (very slow going down, explosive going up)

Cardio

Chatter session with a big old guy who is losing weight... I decided not to do cardio because I want to really hit my quads hard tomorrow. My plan is to place a ten plate behind each food and elevate my heals to focus on my quads more. That always did the trick in the past... That is my problem, my quads are weak.

Take care guys!

Oh yeah, almost forgot... I read that someone suggested Jell-O for a good diet food and oh boy! How could I have forgotten about such a great low calorie food? So I went to the store the next day and purchased from sugar free jello and also plan to make some gummy worms from it as well. I found the recipe on the web... Actually, if I can figure out how to make good gummy worms, I can make them for my son (Gabriel will be his name, after his daddy) and that can be his "desert". I am going to be careful to watch my sons eating habbits.

Coke
03-08-2006, 05:47 AM
That's great, another Gabriel in the world - ;) ...nice deal on the elevated plates, my friend did his squats that way to good effect. Excellent the way you're changing your body up... wait to summer comes, you'll be shiznit dude - :thumbup:

ArchAngel777
03-08-2006, 02:16 PM
That's great, another Gabriel in the world - ;) ...nice deal on the elevated plates, my friend did his squats that way to good effect. Excellent the way you're changing your body up... wait to summer comes, you'll be shiznit dude - :thumbup:

Thanks for stopping by again... You are too kind.

Today is leg day.. Only 3 more hours to go until I hit it hard in the gym... My plan is to do elevated heal back squats at 225... I have no doubt this will cure my weak squat, as I have no problem coming out of the hole under the normal squat, but once the weight transfers to my quads the weight gets heavy. Need to get those squads strong again. Crossing my fingers, but I really just want to rep 315 for 5 before the end of the year. I know it can be done... I am so tempted to stop my cut so that I can gain strength again faster, but ultimately, I just want to lean and athletic again. Have to keep with the cut and strive my best to retain strength of even gain some.

ArchAngel777
03-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Weights

ATF Back Squats, elevated heals with 10 pound plates

Bar X 6
135 X 6
185 X 5
205 X 3
225 X 3
225 X 3
225 X 3

ATF Back Squats, elevated heals with 25 pound plates

185 X 3
205 X 3
215 X 3
225 X 3
225 X 3

Power Snatch

135 X 1 (Clean Grip)
135 X 2
145 X 1
155 X 1
155 X 1
155 X 1 (bad form on last one, back was feeling tired)

Power Clean

185 X 1
185 X 1 (+ Front Squat)
185 X 1 (+ Front Squat)
185 X 1
185 X 1
185 X 1

Comments: I am trying to work on my flexability. I am definately going to be doing Olympic Lifting once I lose all the weight I need too. I most likely will be purchasing some bumper plates, a good bar so I can do these in garage and drop them as needed.

Legs Machine Not sure what it is called... I sit down and move legs outward into the splits with weight... Of course, I can't actually do the splits...

200 X 8
200 X 8

Legs Machine Not sure what this one is called either, but it is the exact opposite.

200 X 8
200 X 8

Comments: I noticed that my legs wobble doing squats and front squats a teeny bit... I want to strengthen that area.

HIIT - 6.0 incline @ 3.6 mph on the low end and 6.0 incline @ 10.0 mph on the high end. Length? 15 minutes and 3 intervals.

Why?: Great session! Had fun... That is the important part. I hope the 25 pound plates help when doing those squats. I feel it a bit more on my quads.

Coke
03-09-2006, 05:29 AM
Great job on tweaking your work and aiming for flexibility via the power snatches and cleans, nice squats too.

ArchAngel777
03-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks Coke!

I decided to create a fitday account and post some of my foods. I am not as exact as some people may want, but I am pretty exact on my calories for the most part. I have never worried much about the % of my macro nutrients, but it looks like they are around 30% fat, 40% cabs and 30% protein on any given day. I was surprised though, I eat more carbs that I thought... Actually, I am relieved to be honest. All this time I was thinking that I only ate around 50 grams of carbs a day and was worried about the "rebound" affect when I move back to maintenance in a few months. The good news is that my worries are taken away after viewing the fitday information now.

On weekends I purposely eat less, I sleep in, skip breakfast and even sometimes lunch and just have a snack and dinner. So, Saturday and Sunday my calories are around 1,000 with the majority of them Fat + Protein. Then Monday - Friday I resume normal eating. I guess you could call this carb cycling to a certain extent. I feel this works out because I am naturally not hungry on the weekends and allows me to really push low calories those days without making my body think it is starving. Then the rest of the week eating 1900 - 2200 calories.

I am never really hungry for the most part, but mentally this cut is starting to wear on me at times. Though when I logically take it back to its root, I am fine. For instance, what would I do if I quit this cut? I don't know what I would do. But I know what I wouldn't do... I wouldn't eat junk food. So, basically I have no choice but to continue to the cut, because there is no other path I want to take, logically that is.

FITDAY (http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=ArchAngel777) (Example of an average day... In this situation, I have not yet eaten my Jello or Cocoa, nor have I had my dinner... But I will be eating all of that. Besides, this was just a test to determine calories eaten lately.

ArchAngel777
03-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Decline Situps

BW X 15
BW (+10) X 12

HIIT - 6.0 incline at 3.5 mph on the low end and 6.0 incline and 10.0 mph on the high end. 4 Intervals, 20 minutes duration.

Why?: Pressed for time, kicked my butt. Still feeling it now.

ArchAngel777
03-10-2006, 08:28 AM
Major DOMS today! Wow, the legs are really feeling it. It could be from Wednesday's session, or it could be from yesterdays HIIT. Most likely it was from Wednesday.

Been drinking a ton of water lately. It is almost as if my body found an empty bucket somewhere and started to fill it. I belive I drank 8 - 9 cups of fluids last night. 3 cups of water were from my jello, one large glass of milk, two large glasses of water, and a cup of hot cocoa...

This may contribute to my weight a bit more, but I don't really care if it does. Water = Good. So if I am heavier than my last weigh in, I know it is because of water and will have to re-evaluate my goals.

I suppose tonight I will just take it easy and get as much sleep as I can. I plan to sleep in WAY late... Should be good for recovery.

ArchAngel777
03-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Went to sleep early last night 8:00pm and woke up today at 10:00am... Wanted to sleep more, but the body wanted to get up. I feel refreshed after that 14 hour stride of sleep! I always feel like a new person on Saturday, when I sleep in that is.

Drank a few glasses of water, took a caffeine and vitamin pill and will head out to the gym in about 45 minutes. I plan to do some upper body followed by a 20 minute or so HIIT session. When I get home, I guess Burgers + Hash Browns are waiting. Sounds good, sounds like I better work out hard to deserve that meal :P

ArchAngel777
03-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Power Cleans

135 X 1
165 X 1
185 X 1
205 X 1
205 X 1
205 X 1
205 X 1
205 X 1
205 X 1

Bench Press

135 X 8
165 X 6
185 X 6
205 X 4

Lateral Pulldowns

120 X 3
160 X 3
200 X 8

Peck Deck

150 X 8

HIIT - Skipped... I totally just wimped out. I didn't want to do. I just left... Almost felt guilty, but not quite :D

ArchAngel777
03-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Gelatin is God's gift to the dieter... I am currently enjoying some gummies that I made... 160 calories for the entire pan of gummies (about 3 cups). Not bad considering there is no way I would eat the entire pan in one sitting, let alone one day. It is a "fun" treat that my little son will be blessed to have in this household.

Coke
03-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Glad you got some extra rest and drinking more water is a good thing man, keep yourself hydrated. Junior will definitely have it good, I have no doubt in my mind. Nice job on getting into the gym and taking care of business.

ArchAngel777
03-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Was going to work out today, but since we had a huge snow storm and I didn't go to work, decided to just go heavy tomorrow. I shoveled snow like 4 times today and got some really good cardio in... Back was sore from the wet heavy sticky type snow.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be squatting 235 X 3, elevated.

ArchAngel777
03-14-2006, 07:40 PM
Weights

Elevated Heal ATF Back Squats

Bar X 3
135 X 5
185 X 3
205 X 3
215 X 3
225 X 3
235 X 3
235 X 3
235 X 3
235 X 3

Comments: Felt good and strong for the most part. I know on the first 2 main sets I could have gotten my 4th rep no problem, 5th would have been iffy though.

Power Cleans

135 X 1
155 X 1
165 X 1
175 X 1
185 X 1
195 X 1
205 X 1
205 X 1
205 X 1
205 X 1
205 X 1

Comments: Felt good, working on my form. Getting prepared to Squat Cleans when my quads are strong enough.

Power Snatches

135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
145 X 1
145 X 1
150 X 1
150 X 1
150 X 1

Comments: Felt good for the most part, the last 150 X 1 hurt my left shoulder a bit. Nothing unusual...

Power Cleans + Front Squats

165 X 1 + Front Squat X 1
175 X 1 + Front Squat X 1
185 X 1 + Front Squat X 3
185 X 1 + Front Squat X 2

Comments: This fried my CNS... No need for HIIT after this session.

ATF Back Squat

185 X 1

Comments: Racked it after one rep, it felt HEAVY and my back felt like a train ran over it. Don't worry though, it isn't injury, just fatigue.

Why?: Great workout. This is the reason I am into weightlifting, for sessions like this. I really gave it everything I had. It feels good to lift the weight, no matter how big the weight is (though more plates is more fun... hehehe).

Stumprrp
03-15-2006, 04:01 AM
that is one sweet, explosive session arch.

Coke
03-15-2006, 06:40 AM
Left no stone unturned with this effort dude or with the previous day of snow shoveling - :thumbup:

ArchAngel777
03-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Yesterdays workout

Weights

Bench Press

Bar X 10
135 X 6
165 X 5
185 X 5
105 X 5
225 X 4
225 X 5
245 X 2
265 X 1
225 X 4
225 X 5
225 X 4

Lateral Pulldowns

120 X 5
160 X 5
200 X 8
200 X 5

Peck Deck

150 X 8
140 X 8

HIIT Biked at level 4 during the low end and L20 (max the bike will go) on the high end for 30-35 second sprints... 12 minute duration and about 6 or os intervals. After that I had a mild walk of 5.0 incline @ 3.6 mph for 5 minutes. Total cardio time was 17 minutes.

Why:? Good workout, but slacked off for some of it. I am certainly not focusing on my upper body lately. When I focus on something, everything else seems to take second. So since leg strength is my goal, I tone down the upper body workout a bit.

Thanks for the support stump & cocoa. I went to the dentist this morning for a filling... Now my face is all knumb... blah... I think I am going to take a nap.

Coke
03-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Nobody can give priority to two things at once, something is bound to take a back seat so it's cool...ace benching!!

ArchAngel777
03-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks Cocoa... I should just put that in my sig "Thanks Cocoa"... Actually, I think I will.

Did an HIIT session today. It destroyed me... Wow, lets see low end was 5.0 incline @ 3.6 mph walk and at the high end it was 8.0 incline @ 10.0 mph run (edit: Had WALK in there before, LOL). Basically the machine is maxed out at 10 mph and I am not sure that an incline great than 8 is going to be safe for fast runs. It looks like I will be looking for a track this summer to improve sprint type runs.

I have no idea why I do HIIT, really... It kills me... I always feel like I am one step away from a heart attack (over dramatic, I am) and then for the next 4-5 hours I sweat profusely when I don't do anything at all... Well, great workout.

YAWN...

ArchAngel777
03-17-2006, 10:23 AM
No DOMS at all today... Odd, I kicked my butt for the last three days in the gym and nothing sore, at least, nothing real sore. Very slight soreness, but nothing that would stop me doing doing those workouts again at full strength.

Going to the car show with my Dad tomorrow... I used to be a big fan of the car show, but now all it is, is a stupid dealership convention.... Oh well, good time to spend with my dad at any rate.

Saturday or Sunday is going to be Squats again! Going to try 245 X 3 for 4 sets... Hope I can do it.

Meat_Head
03-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Woohoo a NICKEL! :D

Nice workouts, those power cleans and snatches are really impressive!

ArchAngel777
03-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Weighed in this morning at 207.0...

Still have a ways to go with my physique though. Everything keeps getting more defined, but it seems like I am still so far from my goal. So far I really don't notice any muscle mass loss. Nothing seems to be getting smaller except my gut. Thought sadly, I still have a ways to go... Wow, this is going to be the longest cut in history! Almost going on 5 months now....

ArchAngel777
03-20-2006, 08:13 AM
This won't be the longest cut in history. To avoid burn-out I am going to be taking a solid two week break from restrictive eating and weightlifting. This should give my body time to normalize again, hopefully bring my metabolism back up to where it should be and then start another cut cycle.

I wanted to do this straight though, but it had become painfully obvious that I wasn't going to make it till the end of I kept up and I would most likely have been completely burned out.

My memory is actually quite foggy of when I was 16-17 and really lean. I cannot for the life of me remember if I was 165 or 180 around the time of my old pictures. I think I was 180ish though. I guess we will find out when I get down to 180, if that is where I am lean or not.

April 6th will be the start of the new cut. It is going to be difficult to stay out of the weight room for two weeks, but I am forcing myself to do it. I just hope I don't get out of the groove and then stop lifting altogether.

Coke
03-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Just a few days should do you some good, taking a couple of weeks off can be tricky imo, wish you well though.

ArchAngel777
03-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Just a few days should do you some good, taking a couple of weeks off can be tricky imo, wish you well though.

Yeah, I was thinking that too... I am sort of in agony over the decision... You know? Like, I am conflicted! Perhaps Wednesday I will resume heavy lifting and just keep the diet normal until April 6th, then start the diet... I don't know... But, heck, I simply added two eggs to my meal this morning and now I am no longer hungry for my lunch! So, who knows... Maybe without restricting my calories, they will naturally for some strange reason.

But if I wait until Wednesday to lift, that will have been one week off from lifting. I guess that is good... Then just eat whenever I feel like (good things, though) and return back to lower calories in a few weeks... I think that is what I will do.

Thanks for stopping in the journal... On a side note, I found my old weight loss that I did 3 years ago. I left that out of my initial journal post, because it really doesn't matter so much. Basically, I was 231 and went down to 199 with my clothes on, so I was actually somewhere around 195. However, I didn't lift weights and I just did cardio... So, I am pretty sure I lots some muscle mass during that period. But that makes me think, I guess somewhere around 180 is going to be my ideal weight. I suppose I should just be more patient. I just have a hard time believeing that I was 80 pounds overweight, I sure didn't look it.

ArchAngel777
03-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Going to start lifting today... A few hours to go. Going to do heavy squats... I hope things go well after this rest. I have renewed vigor... I will tear the weight room apart... It is mine :D I am shooting for 180, for sure... Lets do this :D

ArchAngel777
03-22-2006, 09:54 PM
ATF Squats

Bar X 6
135 X 6
185 X 3
225 X 2
245 X 2
225 X 5
225 X 4

Power Cleans

135 X 1 + FQ
135 X 1 + FQ
135 X 1 + FQ
185 X 1 + FQ
185 X 1 + FQ
185 X 1 + FQ

Incline Bench Press

135 X 6
185 X 4
205 X 2

Flat Bench Press

135 X 6
185 X 6
204 X 4

HIIT Cardio bike for 20 minutes. 5, 1 minute all out sprints...

Dinner: Great meal...

Overall Rating: 2/10

Why?: Horrible workout... Lost strength, was weak... Great HIIT though.

rookiebldr
03-22-2006, 10:02 PM
Don't worry about the strength loss, with reduced calories it very much likely to happen. I've always hated the loss cause it seemed to take me so long to get back up to where I was, however, looking lean and showing off all those muscles can be worth it...at least until the next bulk when you explode out of your shirts. ;)

Coke
03-23-2006, 05:51 AM
Gonna be looking great near end of the program, should even be ace by 190lbs...forget the numbers man, doing good.

ArchAngel777
03-23-2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks guys! I hope you are right cocoa... I know that at 190 my love handles and chest should be a lot leaner, but I honestly don't think I will be ripped or anything close to it until I start hitting the 180's... Actually, in a way, I don't mind in one sense. The weight itself never bothered me. Heck, if I can move down weight classes, it just means I have a better shot in OL type lifting. Every weight class I go down is another 20 less kilo total I need...

So, actually, if I was even able to make the 77kg class at some point in the future, things would start to look good for me.

Again, though.. Most people that lose 80 pounds were absolutely fat huge people... But, no one could even tell I was 260. Everyone was like, oh 220 or so... I mean, that is what is so hard to comprehend in all of this. I mean, how can someone hold their weight so well? Just astonished is all. I never ceased to be amazed.

My posterior chain has the DOMS! Figured as much... Going to do some running HIIT tonight and maybe some upper back work.

Again, thanks for stopping by my journal and offering encouragement.

Coke
03-23-2006, 09:41 AM
You are in a rare group along with another friend of mine who lost weight - after which he dropped down I guessed him to be around 210lbs, well turned out he was 235lbs...just goes to show how solid you really are.

ArchAngel777
03-23-2006, 06:39 PM
You are in a rare group along with another friend of mine who lost weight - after which he dropped down I guessed him to be around 210lbs, well turned out he was 235lbs...just goes to show how solid you really are.

Solid? Possibly... I think it is most likely due to intramuscular fat. I believe some peoples muscle are bigger than others before they store more intramuscular fat. Which seems to make sense... I mean, according to subcutnaeus fat levels, two people with the same height, weight and body fat can look completely different. This has to be due to intramuscular fat or something like that.

Whatever the case it just means I see less progress when I diet down. I see others on here, they lose ten pounds and they look totally different. I loose ten pounds and see very minor changes. But, I am overly critical of myself.

Anyway, today was a simple workout. I just did Power Snatchs, about 10 of them at 135 pounds and did some HIIT. Again, I gave HIIT my best... 6.0 incline at 3.6 mph on the low end and 6.0 incline at 10.0 mph on the high end... Did 5 intervals... Total time with warmup and cool down was 25 minutes. Was exhausted... Actually, I am starting to like running a lot more than lifting weights lately. It seems that sprinting works your entire body pretty well...

Overall Rating for today was 8/10 i'd say... Easy, but I gave it some great effort.

Coke
03-24-2006, 04:29 AM
Funny that you should say that, I was reading one day that some of the really big bodybuilders who compete are just blessed to be able to carry more of the unseen intramuscular fat as opposed to on the surface.

Nice job on the treadmill - that is good overall cardiovascular training on one end and some fat burning on the other.

ArchAngel777
03-24-2006, 06:34 PM
Cocoa - It certainly could be a blessing if your body didn't decide to burn that type of fat off first. If that fat gets eaten before your body starts working on subcutinaeus fat, then... that sucks... :-(

Today I did about 30 - 40 single snatches today. Most of them were with 10 - 15 second rests between. I worked up a good sweat. I corrected a major form flaw in snatch. I couldn't figure out why I could power clean 225 + but be having difficulties with 155 snatch... Then thought about my form carefully and realized I was using almost my lower back exclusively and not my legs. Thus, my butt was too high in the air when the lift started and was the first thing to raise. Once I corrected this, the weight moved effortlessly up. So, awesome workout in that regards... The lift feels more smooth than ever now.

I did some HIIT after that... I worked so hard that after each sprint interval, I almost pissed my pants. Funny, sort of... TMI as well! LOL... That gives you an idea on how hard I was working out...

Anyway, it was 15 minutes, three intervals of 6.0 incline @ 10.0 mph on the high end and 6.0 incline at 3.6 mph on the low end... Exhausted, completely...

I am going to skip my main meal today because of work I ate my lunch at around 4:30... So, I will be making myself a shake, because I want something sweet. The plan is to use 1 cup of Ice Cream, 1 cup of Skim Milk, 2 Scoops of Whey, and 4 servings of Sugar Free Hershey's chocolate syrup.

Should be 260 + 240 + 90 + 60 = 650 calories... I feel that should be pretty good. I probably won't eat that till later though, I am not hungry one bit...

Edit ** Just realized that I am going to throw a Banana in that shake, so make it 750 calories! I love Nanas!

Stumprrp
03-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Hows the break goin bro?

same thing for me dude, when i was 275 people guessed like 235, but from the pictures i have i dont see how you couldnt guess 275.

ArchAngel777
03-24-2006, 08:36 PM
*BURP* Awww... What a great malt/shake. A good 2.5 cups of goodness... I am stuffed now. Anyway, the break is going well Stump. I am eating more than normal, willing to eat some things that I wouldn't during my cut and enjoying a new PC game called Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.... Awesome game.

The 1 week break from lifting was bad at first, but it has renewed my love for lifting and exercise. The last two days have been pure hardcore HIIT cardio... The kind that makes you want to throw up, or in my case, piss your pants.

Everything going well with you? Were both former fatties on to a better life :D

ArchAngel777
03-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Did some clean grip snatches and some HIIT biking & running. Don't feel like logging it, but I busted my balls.

Shaved finally after 3 weeks, wife said I look 10 years younger... Great, that is what every 24 year old wants to hear. Geez, what am I 14 or something? :D

Stumprrp
03-25-2006, 06:52 PM
hahaha cant beat a fresh shave, keep up the good work ARCH.

ArchAngel777
03-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Took a rest yesterday and had a great shake... Yummers. Shakes fill me up more than regular food, actually. Tonight is another hardcore workout. Not sure what is on the agenda, but I am sure it will be more runing/biking with some explosive weightlifting.

ArchAngel777
03-27-2006, 06:47 PM
I love the cities but they don't love me. What, I almost asked this guy who started trouble with me tonight "Do I have a swastica on my forehead? Do I!?" I cannot believe how many people try and start to mess with me. I mind my own business and they have to come on in and start stuff. What, one day I am going to get a gun pulled on me. It is only a matter of time in this area. Well, it always happens at this gas station... I am not going to be going there anymore and will be informing my wife to stay away from getting out of her car in that area. Completely unsafe. I feel more safe in Chicago then I do here! I feel more safe in Downtown Minneapolis warehouse district!

It is such a damn shame. I grew up here and now it is becoming the pits. It is the worst part of Saint Paul and pretty much on par with Minneapolis crimes per capita.

I think I am going to make plans to move out of this hell hole I live in.

Sorry for the rant, but I am getting sick of it all. Why the hell can't people mind their own damn business and are always looking to pick a fight? Or steal, murder etc... Damn it, If ever I support the Death Penalty now more than ever. Get these ridiculous people out of our society and put them behinds bars... Or better yet, in a work house where we can use them for cheap labor instead of India.

Ok, other than that, my workout was great. I did several Power Snatches with Clean Grip and regular grip about 20 of each at 135 pounds.

Did some HIIT, tricept pull downs and Peck deck and some abs... I am tired. Going to rest and hit it hard tomorrow.

Stumprrp
03-27-2006, 07:05 PM
that stinks bro, i love new york city to death but sometimes when i go there i wonder if i could really live there with no troubles, good man protectin the wife.

hit em hard tomorrow!

Coke
03-28-2006, 04:48 AM
Too many people are wannabe "gangsters", too bad it is that way man. On another note, good deal on the shave, lol.

ArchAngel777
03-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Thanks guys... Pretty sore today, but not as bad as last Thursday. Some DOMs but I am going to hit it hard again tonight. My target goal weight (eventually) is 169.4, which is the 77kg weight class. Anywhere around the low 170's will be fine, since I can purge some water out of me before a meet, if and when I start competing again.

As far as Olympic Lifting, I really am planning to get back into it. In the mean time, until I get my body weight down where I want it, I am going to train the basic form of each lift and hope to get stronger. Once I hit my target body weight, I will then look into joining Twin City Barbell where I will be able to train the more advanced lifts (mostly because they have platforms where I can drop the weights). Other plans may include purchasing an Olymic Lifting set and training in my garage. I would build the platform and just train there. Both are a highly likely event here in the future.

On another note, I am posting my goals here so if I ever feel weary, I can remind myself what I really am working towards.

GOALS for January 2006

Power Clean: 120kg
Power Snatch: 95kg
Body Weight: 77kg

ArchAngel777
03-29-2006, 08:37 AM
Last nights workout

Squats

Bar X 5
135 X 5
185 X 3
225 X 3
225 X 3
225 X 3
235 X 3
225 X 3
225 X 2 (5 second pause at the bottom for each rep)

Dead Lifts

275 X 1
325 X 1
345 X 1
315 X 2
355 X 1
375 X .2 (I failed on this one, before I even attempted it, I was shot and I knew it... But I went for it anyway... I struggled with it right off the ground and decided to drop it).

Did some HIIT biking for about 12 minutes... Nothing special and left to go grocery shopping and take care of some chores.

Why?: Basic lifting session. I was burned out I think. I will be resting today and registering at Target for our baby shower. I am getting excited to be a father here... Things are looking up for me. I think, we were called to do something with our life. To me, life gets boring fast. I have to fulfill some purpose... In this case, my purpose is to be the best father humanly possible. Only 2 months and 7 days until the due date... I can't wait!

Coke
03-29-2006, 08:51 AM
Once I hit my target body weight, I will then look into joining Twin City Barbell where I will be able to train the more advanced lifts (mostly because they have platforms where I can drop the weights).

I say, why wait - go for it and join up now unless time or the funds are an issue. You're hardcore for having both squats and deads in the same session. The baby will be here before you know it, lucky kid!!

ArchAngel777
03-31-2006, 08:52 AM
Thanks Cocoa - But in regards to joining up now, I believe it will be counter productive. Since, basically, my strength has completely leveled off at this time. For instance, my Squat has been the same for over a month now, same with Power Clean + Snatch, Dead Lift, etc... So nothing is getting during this cut. So my plan is to just lift hard and heavy and hold on to that while I move down weight classes at this point.

April 6th, should be interesting to see what I weigh since I have more or less taken it easier with the diet. I feel quite a bit lighter though.

Anyway, two days off now and going to lift heavy tonight. Most likely will be doing some more snatches and power cleans followed by some hardcore HIIT.

Saturday is yard work and other stuff. My Dad is going to be coming over to work on the house... Last year I had $25,000 worth of foundation work done on my house... It totally sucked... So, they did a great job except for one window well. Funny that they are called window "wells" because that is exactily what it is... The water from the ground is moving there, because it has the least resistance. They didn't put the right soil in under the well, so now it is well and causing some water problems through the window on that part of the basement. They are going to have to come out there and fix it though. Still was really pissed off that I had to put $25,000 into the house... I guess my plan is to fix it up, make it nice and move out of there in a few years.

In addition to the water issue (minor issue thought, compared to what was) the entire yard is a mud pit, due to them destroying it when they worked on the foundation. So we have to put new sidewalks in, new steps and then reseed like there is no tomorrow.

ArchAngel777
03-31-2006, 08:11 PM
Oh wow... Tired...

Clean Grip Power Snatches

135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
145 X 1
150 X 1
150 X 1
150 X 1
150 X 1
150 X 1
150 X 1
150 X 1

Left to take my parents to the Ordway (Theatre).

Came back and...

Clean Grip Power Snatches

135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1

Cardio, HIIT treadmill. 6.0 incline @ 3.5 mph on the low end and 6.0 incline and 10.0 MPH on the high end. 4 - 1 minute interverals on the high end. 22 minute duration. Extremely tired from this workout (Am I ever not?). these last few workouts I have forgotten to take my caffeine pill (200 mg) but so far I havn't suffered for it... I mean, I notice less energy a bit, but nothing to destroy my workouts. Then again, I am eating a bit more these days.

All in all a good workout... Now, tomorrow morning I get a great workout digging out my yard with a shovel... Lets see, I need to go 4 -5 feet deep and dig a huge trench... :-) Most people would be like "oh crap... What a bummer"... But me? Heck no, this is a great way to burn more calories and stay in shape. I welcome physical labor yet again in my life. Of course, it has been 6 years since I have done any, which might be why... :D

Stumprrp
03-31-2006, 08:25 PM
thats alot of snatches dude! sweet

Coke
04-01-2006, 07:47 AM
All of the hard yard work is grueling and will pay off as will the foundation work on the house. I had to shell out $15,000 on my first house but I knew it was coming since I bought it dirt cheap. Power snatches in here for days, lol.

ArchAngel777
04-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Power Cleans

135 X 1
185 X 1
185 X 1
205 X 1
215 X 1
215 X 1
215 X 1
215 X 1

Clean Grip Power Snatch

135 X 1
145 X 1
155 X 1
155 X 1
155 X 1
155 X 1
155 X 1

ATF Squats

135 X 6
185 X 6
205 X 3
225 X 5
225 X 5
225 X 3

Bench Press

135 X 6
185 X 5
205 X 4
225 X 3

Peck Deck

140 X 10
140 X 8

Tricep Pushdowns

90 X 12
90 X 10

Lat pulldowns

160 X 10
200 X 7

Situps

BW+10 X 15?

Cardio - HIIT - Did 90 second sprints at L15 for three intervals and resting in between at L5 and then did a final Treadmill blowout... 5.0 incline @ 10mph for 90 seconds... Ended workout worn out. I felt great... Great workout.

Why?: Everything felt good today. Since I am work on my clean form, the weight had to be dropped. I can still power clean 225 easily if I rack it differently, but since I have been working on my form and racking the weight properly, it had to be lowered. Not sure I could rack 225 right now the proper way, but 215 sure is easy enough.

Squats were awesome today... Even though it doesn't look stronger on paper, my form was ace throughout all the sets... These were nothing near a cheater good morning squat, they were the real deal, finally am getting the form nailed down.

Plans on to continue with 225 until I can rep it easily past 8... Actually, I can probably do that today, but the 8th rep would have been iffy. When I racked the 5th rep of the first set, I easily had two more, but the third would have been quite iffy and bad form, which is what I want to avoid (bad form).

Edit ** Forgot to mention my immediate alarm when I came home and see three veins sticking out of my forehead... I had NEVER seen those before, never, even when I was much lower body fat than I am now... But, thanks to others here on this site, it was no cause for alarm and my worries were put to rest. Thanks again for WBB to provide such a great resource to us here.

Coke
04-04-2006, 06:17 AM
Ace session man, tremendous volume!! - numbers looking nice all over...them are some super sprints.

ArchAngel777
04-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Oh man... major doms today. Still planning on hitting the gym though... Not sure what I will workout... My stomach kills, lower back, traps, chest and legs... Not much left to work is there? Hehe... I guess I could do a long slow cardio session, but chances are, I will be doing another HIIT. Thanks for dropping by Cocoa.

Stumprrp
04-04-2006, 04:14 PM
wow dude thats a sick workout!

ArchAngel777
04-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Not as sick as some of your workouts bud... Doing 30 squats with like 135 is ridiculous! Killer!

Today's workout I went in sore, but that didn't stop me.

Power Snatch

135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1

Overhead Squat

135 X 3
135 X 3
135 X 3
145 X .5 lost balance of the weight and had to bring it down.

Cardio HIIT... Today was 5.0 incline at 3.6 mph on the low end and 5.0 incline at 10.0 mph on the high end. I did 5 intervals and reduced the rest between them... Today was a ball busting workout. 22 minute workout including the 5 minute warmup.

Why?: Busted my balls... Need any other reason than that? Killer workout. Simply, short, but extremely intense.

Coke
04-05-2006, 04:19 AM
Damn bro, anyone doing 10mph on the treadmill has the need for speed...great job with everything.

ArchAngel777
04-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Damn bro, anyone doing 10mph on the treadmill has the need for speed...great job with everything.

Well, 10.0 is nothing to write home about, honestly. In order to run three miles in 18 minutes which is considered ace in the military, I would have to keep the pace at 10.0 for 18 minutes... That is something I can't do right now. About 2 to 3 minutes is the longest I could run at 5.0 incline and 10 mph right now... So, I still have a long ways to go.

However, since I am using a rather high incline, that is part of the reason. I really wish the treadmill went faster than 10 mph to be honest, as I really want to work into the 12 - 14 range for all out sprints for 30 second durations. But now that it is summer, the plan is to go the track at the local high school and start doing 1/4 mile runs and what not. I wan't to run the mile in under 5:00 at some point in the future. Right now, I doubt I could even run the mile in under 7:00 at this point, but I would be close.

Thanks for stopping in my journal, always great to get encouragement.

ArchAngel777
04-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Very light and easy workout today. I did a few snatces at 135 (2 - 3) and then did an 10.0 incline walk at 3.6 mph for 17 minutes. Needed to go light so that tomorrow I can do another hardcore HIIT session.

Weigh in is on Saturday, I believe... So, time to see where I am at that point. I have a hunch I will be very close to 200, give or take a pound. Then I will be figuring out the plan for the next cut that day as well.

ArchAngel777
04-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Over a month ago I had planned the following

March 7th, 2006: 213 lbs.
March 21st, 2006: 209 lbs.
April 7th, 2006: 206
April 21st, 2006: 203
May 7th, 2006: 200
May 21st, 2006: 197
June 7th, 2006: 195 (Baby is due the day before)
June 27th, 2006: 192 @ 8% BF (My Birthday)

So far, I know I am ahead of schedule as far as weight goes, but the body fat percentage is quite a bit off, I feel. At 192 pounds, I don't believe I will be at 8%, I will most likely be around 12%. I am realling look at 180 to go below 10%, I believe and pushing to 170ish to hit 5% range, if indeed I decide to go that far. It all depends.

Tomorrow is weigh in and I am feeling good about it. I don't think I could possibly weigh anymore than 202, and I wouldn't be surprised if I was slightly below 200. Right now I am still sitting around 15-16% body fat... visual estimates are always wrong, I think... So, I am not sure. But until my love handles are gone, I won't be under 13%. They are still there, but even smaller now... Gosh, losing weight really takes a long time... LOL, and I am doing it the fast way. I am very excited with my results though... Tomorrow is the moment of truth! :D

Coke
04-06-2006, 01:49 PM
... But now that it is summer, the plan is to go the track at the local high school and start doing 1/4 mile runs and what not.

Not so fast, it ain't even summer yet - just messin with you bro...you've got patience, I'd have been on the scale already. It's awesome you're feeling so confident with trimming up this season, props for being ahead of schedule.

ArchAngel777
04-06-2006, 08:56 PM
LOL, good one Cocoa... But the way I see it, here in Minnesota there are two seasons. Winter and Summer... Thats it!

Today's workout...

Power Cleans

135 X 1
185 X 1
205 X 1
205 X 1
205 X 1
205 X 1
205 X 1

ATF Squats

185 X 6
225 X 5
225 X 5
225 X 4

Dead Lifts

275 X 3
325 X 1
365 X 1
385 X 1

Cardio - HIIT - Bike, L6 and a L15 intervals for the first 12 minutes, then I switched to L6 and L18 shorter intervals. Total time was 25 minutes including warmup and cooldown.

Why?: Did a great job, I guess I am not getting any weaker, but it sure seemed like it for a while. Squats felt real strong... Well, tomorrow morning is weigh in, then I will report my official weight. Hoping for 199 personally, but I will be happy with anything under 202.

Coke
04-07-2006, 06:17 AM
Strength is definitely staying up there, holding on strong bro...fine workout, nice stuff on all three moves.

ArchAngel777
04-07-2006, 08:16 AM
Uhm... Here is a lifepoint that I have learned... I have learned it through hundreds of lessons and now I am ready to take it into practise... Here it is...

Whatever we expect, expect less. Whatever we don't expect, expect more. Here is the deal, I got on that scale this morning thinking "Woohoo, 199 here we come" and it turns out the scale stopped at 205.4. You can imagine my surprise, right? Well, I was. But I wasn't bummed at all, not really. Because even though my weight only dropped 1.6 lbs, my physique is quite a bit better than it was at 207. So, I began thinking, perhaps I had gained a bit of lean muscle mass while eating more these last three weeks? It sure seems plausable, in my opinion. Additionally, I may have weighed more due to water... I drank like a camel last night and weighed early in the morning. Last time I weighed, I didn't take in a huge amount of water and I also woke up really late... So, that is much more time to lose fluids and what not.

So, officially, I am 205.4 after 5 months of hard work.

So, now it is time to decide how I can improve? Should I keep the same diet as the last three weeks here? Eating more and just working my butt off more? I think I am going to cut out a few things, such as my daily 200 calorie serving of pudding and I might decrease portion size by 25% (I let it creep up on me these past two months). That might be all I need to this weight falling off.

If in one month, I am not 200, then I will have to Move calories up to 3,000+ for two weeks and then lower them again.

Tons of possibilities here... Anyone have any advice? I suppose I could just keep going as I was and who knows, maybe I will lean by way of gaining a little more muscle and then losing fat. People say it cannot happen, but I know it does.

ArchAngel777
04-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Wife suggested that I weigh in this morning... Ok, no problem... 203.8... Water and Poop weight! Actually the latter is still in me. Progress is still being made!

Coke
04-08-2006, 08:54 PM
I'm sure you can tweak the diet just a little bit but I think you are on the right track with what you're doing...the body is really interesting and even amazing in the way it restructures in subtle ways, nothing happens overnight. Glad to see your body change up this way.

ArchAngel777
04-10-2006, 08:33 AM
I'm sure you can tweak the diet just a little bit but I think you are on the right track with what you're doing...the body is really interesting and even amazing in the way it restructures in subtle ways, nothing happens overnight. Glad to see your body change up this way.

You are certainly right about that Cocoa... If you look in the mirror every day, you won't notice your progress in my opinion. I do my best to avoid the mirror except for my weigh in days. This of course doesn't apply when I am already dressed and making sure I don't have peanut butter all over my face... LOL... Well, anyway you get the idea.

Well this weekend I was packing up the wife's junk (err, I mean stuff) and putting it in nice easy to store tubs. My wife is a pack rat... Actually, so much that it is an obsession with her. She will save paper bags that are ripped up and broken... Furnature that have two of the four legs broken off etc... Well, I finally decided if we are going to have that junk here forever, mine as well store it so that it isn't an eye sore... It really is an eye sore too. So, I purchased 6, 45 gallon tubs (these things are huge!) and then 20, 35 gallon tubs... Most of her junk fit into those just fine and are stacked up looking nice now... Total cost? Over 300 bucks for storage bins and things like that to get this stored. But, it is well worth the money, since moving that crap is going to be easier, much easier.

Going to do a hardcore workout tonight since I pretty much have had three days off. I was going to workout Sunday, but when I was doing some work on Saturday, the day before I had what felt like a torn muscle or an extremely inflamed muscle behind my knee cap, up my thigh a bit. The pain went away Saturday night, but I didn't want to risk it with a Sunday workout. Rest is always good.

Tonight is Squats, Power Cleans, Power Snatches and Dead Lifts. Possibly a full upper body routine as well.

ArchAngel777
04-10-2006, 09:11 PM
I'd be lieing if I said that today was a good day, at least, at first. I struggled today, because I have been cutting for over five months now and I still have love handles. I can feel them "jiggle" as I walk around today. It made me extremely pissed off and depressed. I finally made it through work and hit the gym. New life was breathed in me as I reminded myself why I am there. It felt great to be there and then I remembered my goals and how time goes by, so I mine as well keep walking in the right direction. I had a great workout and posted my results.

When I got home I decided to use the mirror and take a very honest look at myself. I was doubting whether I was 16% or not... I mean, here I am with some peck fat still and love handles and some lower abdominal fat. It seems like it has been there forever. Well, after taking a very close look I determined a few things 1) My chest was indeed leaner. Of course, still have fat in the lower portion, but that will go away around 10% or so, from what others have said. 2) My love handles, althought still there are tolerable... I mean, I guess I wouldn't feel self concious if I were at the beach anymore. I still am not "happy" with this, which is why I am continueing on. 3) I have a pretty decent body type... I have some great mass, pretty proportioned for the most part.

After I have taken a good hard look, I decided to get the scale out. What the hell right? I spent a lot of money on this scale (Christmas present from my wife) and it never gave me good body fat readings... Maybe I didn't want to accept just how fat I really was. Well, the intructions specifically say not to trust the fat reading in the morning... Oh well, no big deal. So the thing would always report me way high. Like, last week it said I was 21% or something like that... Kind of made me despressed. Hell, I know it is just a number, but still depressing. Well, tonight, about 1 hour after my workout I decided to get out that scale. First thing I noticed was that my weight was pretty good. I was at 203.2 and the body fat reported me right at 15.5%... Then I decided to grab a huge glass of water and down it... Got back on the scale and came in at 203.6 weight and 15.6% body fat. So much for people spouting off the fact that the scale is majorly inaccurate based on water intake... Unless you are drinking gallons of water in a few minutes and taking you reading, I do not see how it will skew the results. Anyway, besides, everyone knows that skin calipers and scales are not completely accurate. But, I think that 15.6% is probably a pretty accurate number at this point. That is the number I am going to trust until I decide to get calipers.

So after all of that, I am now no longer depressed. 16% is where I figured myself visually anyway, so, to that, I guess I am right on target. Quite honestly, I am in a much better mood today. Time to post the workout...

Squats

135 X 5
185 X 3
225 X 6
225 X 6
225 X 6
225 X 4
225 X 5

Dead Lift

225 X 1
275 X 3
325 X 1
325 X 3
325 X 3
325 X 3

Snatch, Clean Grip

135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1
135 X 1

Lat pulldowns close neutral grip

160 X 5
200 X 9 pr (sort of)
220 X 5

Incline Bench Press

135 X 5
185 X 4
205 X 3

Flat Bench Press

135 X 6
185 X 6
225 X 3
225 X 3
225 X 4
225 X 4

Tricep Pushdowns

90 X 10
90 X 8

Peck Deck

160 X 8?

Situps

BW + 10lbs X 20+?

Cardio - HIIT - Easy session... Lower incline, lower speed... But still gave myself a decent workout for 15 minutes. I didn't want to burn myself out for tomorrow. Tomorrow is a kick me in the balls and run away cardio HIIT session.

Why?: Way cool workout... I am not sure it is good for me to take these weekends off like I have... Because I was so depressed during work today, but that was all taken care of once I got to the gym! Woohoo! I love working out... Squats? I actually like them now... You know, they are a lot of fun. Dead Lifts? I still like them, but I think I like Squats more now... As far as upper body? Blah... I guess you can say I have no interest. But that may be due to the fact that I am fine with my upper body physique (once the stinking fat leaves it! Grrr...).

Thanks for reading... :D

ArchAngel777
04-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Everything feels good today... Mild doms everyone except the lower back. That was hit pretty hard.

Going to probably just hit up some HIIT tonight.

Coke
04-11-2006, 10:52 AM
I like to make it a point to hit the gym for at least one of the weekend days. The session was indeed cool...you've worked hard and should be pleased with everything up to now - to get that extreme look is going to take some time.

Stumprrp
04-11-2006, 06:09 PM
sick session arch

ArchAngel777
04-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks guys!

Tonight I went to the gym and after about 3 minutes of warming up with the bar and doing a minute on the treadmill I decided to leave. Why? Well two reasons 1) I was too sore to hit it hard, at least with weights or treadmill. 2) it was a beautiful day out.

If I am going to bust my balls, I at least want to do it in sunlight. Well, anyway... So, I took my bike out when I got home and did a 10+ mile bike ride. At first this was supposed to be a leisure bike ride, but is that possible? Not really... I enjoyed myself but hit it hard naturally. I have a hard time holding back when I know I can perform. So, I hit a good 10 miles and came home... Then I was like "Hmm, I havn't rollerbladed in a LONG time... So, I grabed those, drank a quick glass of water and decided to rollerblade about 6 - 7 miles. Overall, they each took a good hour of my time. So, two hours of cardio tonight... But, because I did so much, knowingly, I planned a small protein shake for when I got back.

1 Scoup of whey and 16oz of Skim Milk. That is about a 300 calorie shake. Now, once the wife gets home, it is time for dinner! Woot!

I think I am going to get my bike tuned up. It is a very nice Gary Fischer bike, if anyone knows that brand. Sort of like "trek" but better, at least it used to be. Anyway, it has seen better days... So, I think a good tuneup on it will do me well.

My blades? Wow, well, first of all, in the history of blading I have went through about 5+ sets of blades and about 15+ sets of wheels. I was a hardcore blader thorough my youth... Part of the reason I have a big muscle butt and upper thighs. Well, so, I am good at it. I will need to get another pair of blades here shortly, or some new wheels and bearings. My Cat wants some lovin... Hard to type, so I am out!

Coke
04-12-2006, 05:29 AM
What a sight to see - Gabe on the blades, lol - :D ...no doubt you're ace, great day of fun in the sun on the bike too.

ArchAngel777
04-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Woke up this morning and could barely walk. My first thought was "IBPROFIN!" then I reminded myself, I never turn to that stuff. I take IB maybe once a year, tops... So that is how bad it was. But I didn't take it and am still extremely sore today. I mean, this type of DOMs is probably the reason people quit working out. Litterally, every fricking muscle is sore on me. EVERY LITTLE MUSCLE kills...

So tonight? Well, I start to feel better towards the evening, so I may just blade around the lake again, or go on a walk with my wife. I want to be do a full body workout here this Friday evening though...

Physique is going great. I am not sure if my physique has changed much in the last few days but something has changed, because I am actually pretty happy with it now. How the heck is that possible? Just 4 -5 days ago I was complaining about it and here I am pretty happy with it. Oh well, who knows...

Thanks for stopping in Coke.

ArchAngel777
04-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Tonight I just decided to take a nice and easy bike ride. This was definately more easy than yesterdays... But that was mostly due because my butt freaking killed from the seat. So I had to do most of my riding on the pedals standing up. I went the same distance as yesterday, a good 10+ miles or so... Took a little bit over an hour, I believe.

Great time, was fun. Then I went on a short walk after that with my wife and then had a protein shake. 1.5 scoupts of chocolate whey + 10oz skim milk. Around 300 calories or so. Tasted great, hit the spot.

ArchAngel777
04-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Did a 6.2 mile rollerblade. Completed in ~41 minutes.

Stumprrp
04-13-2006, 07:21 PM
nice job on the DOMS man, it means your a MAN! lol

clawhammer_33
04-13-2006, 11:05 PM
Woke up this morning and could barely walk. My first thought was "IBPROFIN!" then I reminded myself, I never turn to that stuff. I take IB maybe once a year, tops... So that is how bad it was. But I didn't take it and am still extremely sore today. I mean, this type of DOMs is probably the reason people quit working out. Litterally, every fricking muscle is sore on me. EVERY LITTLE MUSCLE kills...

Get your wife to rub them.....

Anyways good progress!

ArchAngel777
04-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Wife does give me backrubs... Almost every night, luckily.

Today is a rest day... Tomorrow is house work.

ArchAngel777
04-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Well, today was beautiful. Me and my wife finished getting everything packed away neatly in the basement. I filled back up all the dirt in the window well and am crossing my fingers for water problems here with the next few rainfalls. I already got a killer workout today, but, I feel that I havn't done enough or gotten outside enough. After dinner, probaby within the next few hours I will be either blading or riding around Lake Phalen again. I may go an extra distance so I can let myself have a shake. Basically a new rule I made up is that for each hour of cardio, I will eat a 300 kcal protein shake. That way, I am not using cardio as a means for weight loss, but a means to let myself have a treat. After all, only those who work get to eat... So, basically, if I bust my ass and do 2 hours of cardio, I am going to be blessed with a nice ice-cream shake. Yup, I have a feeling two hours of cardio is in tonights workout.

Tomorrow is easter... So far, every family function since November 7th, I havn't over eaten once. Not even a little bit. I never regretted anything I ate. I never went home feeling starved... I just ate a little bit of everything and made sure I stopped when I was sufficiently full.

Tomorrow will be a complete rest day, just like yesterday (Friday) was. Monday's plan is a full body workout again. Though both of my shoulders this morning have pulled muscles or what not. Not even sure how the hell those muscles feel torn. I didn't do anything to them since Monday and NOW They hurt? WTH? I cannot lift my arms to the side and when I do, my shoulders have splitting knife cutting pain. I used to get this all the time back in my teens, I just had to work around it :-/ It really kills my bench :-(

Well, that is it for today... Time to eat.

ArchAngel777
04-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Did a 9.4 mile run on Rollerblades and then did a 6.2 mile run on my bike. Total time was about 90 minutes with a two minute break between the blades and bike. Ate two home made cookies that me and my wife made (healthy kind, if there is such a thing). Shaved, looking all pretty for Easter service tomorrow and my parrents and then... Well, I think it is time to activate my WoW (world of warcraft) account again.

Stumprrp
04-15-2006, 10:18 PM
that sounds like an enjoyable day arch, nothing wrong with 2 cookies dude, ive been cheated for 2 days and i will be tomorrow also, happy easter man!

ArchAngel777
04-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Hey Stump.... Well, Today I decided to cheat, knowing full well what I was doing. What was my cheat? Ice Cream + Fudge + Cake. If I had to guess, it was around 700 calories or so. The dinner itself, was relatively healthy, but I did, purposely and knowing eat more than I normally do. This was probably 1,000 calories. After all of that, I was lathargic, slow, sick and just all around crappy. Now I am sick to my stomach and probably won't eat another meal tonight. Yuck, now I remember what it was like to be stuffed and quite frankly, it sucks.

Stumprrp
04-16-2006, 06:39 PM
^yeah, im bloated, its pretty horrible but ive been cheating for 3 days, back to diet tomorrow.

Coke
04-18-2006, 05:40 AM
Cheating on the diet is a necessity, no one's perfect...good to see U putting the time in on the bike and rollerblading.

ArchAngel777
04-18-2006, 08:22 AM
The cheating really helped me both mentally and physically. I had that craving for ice cream that was just building up over the past few months and the craving to eat until I was stuffed. I did that, became sick and now I feel great eating healthy again.

Last night I did weights... Wasn't a good lifting session at all.

ATF Squats

135 X 5
185 X 3
225 X 5
225 X 5
225 X 3

Dead Lifts

225 X 1
275 X 5
275 X 5
275 X 3

That was it for the weights. I have bursitis in my shoulders, both of them. I think it is due to biking. Since the shoulders get hit pretty hard from that. The pain is so bad, that it feels like a knife is slicing through my shoulders anytime I extend my arms. I hate when this injury/fatigue comes upon me... I wasn't overtraining at all, I simply have bursae problems in the shoulders. So, it looks like I will have to take a few weeks off from upper body workouts. This DOES worry me though, because on a cut, my body needs to be reminded that I need that muscle. Bummer.... Going to have to find some way to work my chest, because that is the part I care about most retaining it's size.

I did a 9.5 mile run on my blades last night after the gym... Took around 1 hour or so. Going to purchase a new wheels & bearings set for my blades today for Lunch...

Going to stay off of my bike until my shoulders heal. Damn bursitis. :-( So yesterday's workout really sucked... The Squats felt heavy as crap, the dead lifts felt fine though.

TwiloMike
04-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Nice deads and squats. Sorry to hear about the shoulder. You are better off letting it rest, imo, or at least do an active recovery.

Coke
04-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Effort not bad dude...even hurts me to know you're having pain and inflammation in the shoulders that way.

ArchAngel777
04-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Thanks guys, but so long as I don't move my arms much or extend them, the pain doesn't flair up. So, it just means I have to be careful. The pain is already getting better, but it is still going to be at least a week before I attempt any bench pressing or overheading type stuff. For now, It is pretty much posterior chain work with some runnning.

I purchased new wheels and bearings for my blades. Man, some people are suckers who fall for the Abec 3+ spec bearings. The Abec-1 maintains a spec that can handle speeds in excess of 250 miles per hour in blades. Which means, anything better than ab Abec 1 is BS. If you are ever interested to know about about the bearing specifications and why anything better than Abec 1 is a waste of money, then just do a good search and what not. You will find the truth out there...

Tonight I plan to do some running, HIIT style... But, if the treadmill is in use I am going to jet out of there and blade around the lake a few times instead. I am starting to value my time a little bit more now that it is summer.

I am very pleased with my physique. Things are really looking up. I am at the stage where every pound of fat shows itself... I mean, I still have more to go, but now I am relaxed about it. There is no rush or dead line at this point, because I am fit and lean now. (If you consider ~15% lean, that is).

Again, thanks for everyone who stops in the journal! Not as hardcore as some people here, but I like to keep things with a good mixture of Weights and Cardio. I think they both have their place and I personally consider them both extremely important to my fitness levels.

TwiloMike
04-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Heh, there's more than one way to reach a goal, right? Hardcore has its place, though I'm not a subscriber to that mentality either.

I hadn't been on blades in... years! This is probably the time to pick up a pair and re-learn how to do it. Thanks for the reminder.

ArchAngel777
04-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Blading is fun...

Today, I just did some HIIT on the treadmill (same old, etc...) for 30 minutes and then did a decent stationary bike ride for 20 minutes. Decided to weigh myself, spur of the moment, I guess.

Before I weighed myself I drank 2 full glasses of water and had two cookies (protein cookies) and a can of Tuna. Then about 35 minutes later I weighed myself. Came up with this number three times.

199.6 lbs @ 14.5% BF

rookiebldr
04-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Blading. Something else I decided to wait til my late 30's to try. ugh.

ArchAngel777
04-21-2006, 08:33 AM
Well, after yesterday, lets just say I am a firm believer that your body has a set point body fat range that it likes to maintain. I had uncontrollable hunger urges last night. The result? I ended up eating around 3,000 calories. I knew what I was doing, but I really couldn't stop it.

This puts a damper on the situation... How am I going to deal with this? Well, I thought of just putting in a huge refeed like that every 4th day. So, I was thinking the following.

In the very long term, I am not so worried. Because, if I gave myself X amount of time then I have nothing to fear. But I was really hoping to hit 188by my B-Day (2 Months and 6 days away). That would be another 11 pounds. At the rate I am currently going, this is going to be an iffy thing.

It looks like I am going to have to go more green again here. Slowly over the last three months I have veered away from Veggies, green ones. It looks like I am going to have to rely on those for my "Pre-Meal" before the main dinner.

This journal is just a record of my thoughts, so I can refer to them later.

ArchAngel777
04-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Ok, so now I feel guilty. I went to the GNC today and purchased three things.

1) Whey Protein - Chocolate Caramal
2) Creatine MonoHydrate
3) Omega-3/6 EFA's

Ok, I am guilty because I was going to use "Nitrean", or rather, said I would when I ran out of my whey. This way waaaaay back in the start on my journal. However, I have become accustomed to the taste of "Chocolate Caramal" and am not one that likes change. So, here I want to support At Large, but, I didn't because I was selfesh and didn't want to change what my taste buds have learned to love.

Other than that, I feel pretty good about my purchase today. It shows that I am still taking care of myself.

The EFA's I purchased is something I honestly should have done a long time ago. I havn't been getting nearly enough Omega-3 and after reading all the wonders of it, I am litterally beating myself over not getting it sooner. I don't expect it to work miracles, but I am sure it will help keep my body in better balance, for sure.

I am feeling good today, very good... I may even go to the gym tonight, or I might just wait until tomorrow.

Coke
04-22-2006, 07:57 AM
The body is indeed amazing in how it reacts or adjust, those last few pounds are gonna be the roughest but you've got a nice plan there to take it on...the big refeeds can present some dangers along the way though, lol.

ArchAngel777
04-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Well, this morning I am going to workout. Took a shower and took the following.

3.2g Omega-3/Omega-6
Multi-Vitaman
200mg Caffeine
15g of Creatine
Can of Tuna

Man oh man, creatine is some NASTY stuff... I had forgotten just how horrible tasting that was. It is like drinking sand + baking soda. In the future, it should be more bearable since I am lowering it to 5g starting tomorrow. Yuck, it took me 24 ounces to get it all down.

ArchAngel777
04-22-2006, 04:34 PM
ATF Squats

135 X 5
185 X 5
225 X 5
255 X 1
265 X 1

Dead Lifts

225 X 5
275 X 5
315 X 1
355 X 1
385 X 1

Lat Pulldown

150 X 8
180 X 8

Bench Press

135 X 5
185 X 6 (slow, pause, no lockout during reps)
185 X 4 (same as above)

Tricep Pushdown

90 X 8

Shrugs

135 X 10
225 X 8

Situps

BW+10 X 20?

Overall Rating 9:10

Did good, happy to be there.

Sensei
04-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Drink the creatine w. something that will mask it. I know people will scream if I tell you to drink it w. juice, but drink it w. juice...

Nice workout btw!

ArchAngel777
04-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Extreme DOMS! Ouch, every part of me hurts. My shoulder flared up again... Damnit, I wish it would heal.

I purchased some new clothes today. My 36X30 jeans were getting far to "saggy". So I tried on 34X30 and they fit perfectly... Better than when my 36X30's were purchased. I still have room to spare with the 34X30's. Progress is made even when we don't often see it. Waist size is proof of weight loss. The good type of hard evidence, you know?

Ultimately, my goal is to be in 30X30 jeans... But first, I want to get into 32X30.

Thanks for the comments guys... Still leaning out... It seems like it takes forever, but I know in the end it will be worth all the effort.

Coke
04-24-2006, 05:32 AM
The 30X30 jeans is going a little too far, don't want you to look small in the process of getting leaner and all, lol.

Props on what is taking place, you've worked hard for this to make it happen - :thumbup:

ArchAngel777
04-24-2006, 01:01 PM
The 30X30 jeans is going a little too far, don't want you to look small in the process of getting leaner and all, lol.

Props on what is taking place, you've worked hard for this to make it happen - :thumbup:

LOL, I know what you are saying... I will probably get to 31" or so... So I am sure I will be using 32 X 30 after I hit my goal. I am pretty confident I will be pretty ripped out at 169, if indeed I go that far. My LBM must be around 160 or so... Then again, who knows, really.

The creatine may have added weight to me, so I don't care much about that. Because of water levels, you could be as low as 160 LBM And then the next week 185 without anything change to your muscle or fat...

Anyway, taking it easy tonight. Still sore and thanks for dropping by Coke.

ArchAngel777
04-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Have not been working out much or doing cardio... Just taking it easy letting my arms heal up. No big deal though, I'll glady take a break. Bodyfat is still dropping and I am not sure about the weight, since Creatine may have caused me to gain 5 - 10 pounds of water.

Baby classes tonight, should be fun...

ArchAngel777
04-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Well today I decided to go clothes shopping again. I was looking for something athetlic. I tried on some spandex shorts and a shirt. First thing is that my legs look pretty darn nice... The spandex shirt, doesn't do anything for my body type. I look far better shirtless than I do in a tight fitting spandex shirt and I am not sure why that is. When wearing the shirt my arms look extremely overpowering to the rest of my body. It looks absolutely stupid to see python arms compared to the rest of my body. Every male dreams of big arms and strong biceps, right? Well, to me, that isn't what I want... Sure the girls liked it and always did... I was always asked to flex and said tennis balls were in there etc... But, I am all about balance and symmetry, something I feel I am lacking a bit of. I mean, having nice muscular arms is great, but I don't want the big arms that I have. I wish my body could metabolize away a good 50% of my bicep muscle.

Going to lift again tonight. Going to bust my balls... Going to eat a lot too. I think I will have some ice cream tonight... Yum Yum

Stumprrp
04-26-2006, 04:58 PM
thats right man eat up, you deserve a big slobbing banana split.

my problem is the opposite, my arms are small compared to my body, lol.

ArchAngel777
04-27-2006, 08:20 AM
thats right man eat up, you deserve a big slobbing banana split.

my problem is the opposite, my arms are small compared to my body, lol.

I'll trade ya... Lets see... I could a slightly calves. So, I'll give you about 40% of my right bicep and 50% of my right one. In return, I'd like 25% from both of your calves. Triceps are not for sale. :D

I starting tanning again last night... Did 10 minutes in a 20 minute bed and burned real badly. Yeah, I am about as white as chalk and therefore, I burn real easy. Bummer :-( Workout was the following...

Power Clean

135 X 1
185 X 1
205 X 1
205 X 1
185 X 1

Comments: These felt HEAVY!!! I could barely, and I mean barely get the 205's... Horrible... This killed my moral.

Squats

185 X 6
225 X 3
225 X 3

Bleh, felt heavy... Was seeing stars after it.

Cardio - Biked around the lake. 6 miles, 20-25 minutes. Lots of effort there.

Shake - Yum, ice cream, milk, chocolate whey and a banana... Seriously, these healthy shakes are almost sinful... They taste great and are generally under 600 calories.

Coke
04-27-2006, 10:30 AM
You are the lucky one to have those big arms imo, just bring everything else up to be a-ok.

Fine work on the power cleans and squats although they were rough...nice biking too bro.

Meat_Head
04-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Eh we all have bad lifting days every now and then, you'll get back on the horse next session! Keep it up.

ArchAngel777
04-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Going to be gone and out of town for the weekend... Won't be able to lift at all. Probably rollerblade, though. I ate a large meal last night... That was my refeed... About 2,500 calories.

Getting a cold... Sore throat, yuck.

Meat_Head
04-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Pump yourself up on vitamin C and do alot of sleeping!

ArchAngel777
05-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Still sick, but I survived the weekend with a bunch of young high schoolers. I really havn't hit my training hard in the last 2-3 weeks. I mean, I have worked out since then, but nothing to incredable. I am hoping for a good workout tonight, but I doubt it is going to be anything but stellar.

I ate fast food for the time in 6 months because I had absolutely no choice. It was either starve, or eat fast food. Well, the goal for this weekend was to eat and get away from normal every day activities. So, I ate at a place similar to LeAnn Chins. Basically, I got really sick and was on the crapper for about 30 minutes while my body litterally gave me contractions that a pregnant woman couldn't handle. That is pretty much proof to me that our body really doesn't like Fast Food. Sure, it gets used to it, but I don't think it likes it. So, next time I presented with Fast Food or starving, I will choose starving, since the pain is less intense.

I have also not been taking my caffeine, since I want my body to lose the immunity it is getting from it. I think after 2 weeks off, my body should respond well to it. No side affects or withdrawal symptons yet, so I can't imagine there would be any.

When I got home my wife thought I lots some weight over the weekend. My goal wasn't to lose weight, nor did I really try. But, hey, I won't complain.

My sunburn healed up pretty much. Now the areas that were burned are itching terribly. I plan to lotion myself up again tonight and then go tanning tomorrow at lunch, I think.

That is all for now... Later.

ArchAngel777
05-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Weights

ATF Squats

Bar X 5
135 X 5
185 X 3
205 X 3
225 X 5
225 X 5
225 X 3

Dead Lifts

275 X 5
275 X 5
275 X 3

Bench Press

135 X 6
185 X 6
185 X 6 (paused for 2 seconds at bottom of each rep)

Tricep Pushdowns

75 X 10
75 X 8

Cardio

Biked 20 minutes, HIIT. Then did a decent paced walk for 12 minutes.

Why?: I gave it some good effort. I didn't go all out, but I did give it a good shot. I did well for not taking my caffeine pills. Had more energy than I thought.

Coke
05-02-2006, 04:13 AM
Sounding like a true bodybuilder now rejecting fast food and all, lol - glad to hear you're feeling better...fine workout.

ArchAngel777
05-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Power Cleans

185 X 1 - 50+ singles with about 10 - 20 second rests between them.

No cardio, that was my cardio... Kept the heart rate at around 160+ The whole time.

KevinStarke
05-04-2006, 10:41 AM
..50+ singles? Jesus man my body would have shut down around 15 hah.

ArchAngel777
05-04-2006, 02:27 PM
..50+ singles? Jesus man my body would have shut down around 15 hah.

I started to black out towards the last reps. No, not making that up either... Right in the middle of the pull I'd lose my vision for a very short while before I caught it. Didn't feel I was out of control, probably just a lot of stress on the body. Good to do every once in a while, I think.

ArchAngel777
05-04-2006, 02:31 PM
I decided I am going to alter my plans quite a bit. Since I have gone without a sweet tooth for long time and have been running sub 2,000 calories for a few months that I am going to move up to just below 3,000. Serious this time. I think my body is tired of dropping weight and I think it needs to get adjusted to maintenance calories for a while. My goal then is to eat a lot more, and then get back to working out a lot more too. I am not going to lay on my ass and eat 3,000 kcals.

What I want to do is see if my body is capable of dropping fat with this method.

I told my wife that I will setup a safe guard. If my weight ever goes above 205 pounds, I will be back on a lower calorie diet again. What have I got to lose? This is for life, right? Well, since this is for life, I have plenty of time to experiment at the best aproach.

Coke
05-05-2006, 08:40 AM
I like the plan bro, experimenting is really the only way to get to the next level for this or anything in life.

Stumprrp
05-05-2006, 02:55 PM
things are still looking good in here gabriel, are you still sane? im about to go insane man, i havent lost in like a month and i dont feel like cutting more cals, if i dont lose in the next 2 weeks im going to like 1,000 a day lol.

ArchAngel777
05-08-2006, 06:58 AM
Hey guys, thanks!

Stump, yeah things are going well. I have been eating more and the weight seems to have stabalized. I weighed myself a three points this week and they all came up at 197.8. Strange, because it was done at different times. Anyway, so far I am staying below 200 pounds. My arms are looking leaner though.

I decided I still want to cut, but maybe I will save that for a future goal. At this point, I am planning to stick with eating more here and then just working out lightly (twice a week). Once I am confident my weight is staying sub 200pounds, I will probably start carb cycling, the official way. That takes more planning though.

6 Months was all I could do man... So, I hear you in regards to going insane. I just couldn't keep going mentally. I could handle it physically, though. My brain wanted some delicacies for a while, and that is what I shall give it :D

Going to lift tonight. Time to find out if eating my heart out improves my lifts. Take care guys and thanks again.

TwiloMike
05-08-2006, 07:09 AM
I like your new plan. Food is a good thing (says I after gorging all weekend). I'm also taken aback by the cleans volume. Good work!

ArchAngel777
05-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Been a while. First of all, my workouts have been few. (twice a week). Second, I am working on the house as much as I can. Third, I have been eating more lately and had a slip up on mothers day. It was a willful slip up too. I must have eaten around 4,000 calories that day. Today, I didn't eat until evening. So, I am sure I made up for it. But, I decided I think I am almost ready to go back on a strict diet. The taste buds are satisfied, I think.

Anyway, I hope the rest of you are doing well! Take care!

Coke
05-16-2006, 05:48 AM
Good to see you taking care of what needs to be done on the homefront. Don't let the sessions die out though bro.

ArchAngel777
05-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Good to see you taking care of what needs to be done on the homefront. Don't let the sessions die out though bro.

Yeah, thanks for the warning. I have actually cleaned up my diet and am back on strict calorie reduction again. I sort of "wing it" these days. But, it seems to be working great.

Workouts have been two or less a week. Wednesday I did a basic full body workout and I plan to do one tonight as well.

I am finding it difficult to workout now that it is summer though. I just don't have the motivation to bust my balls like I did. I think that has a LOT to do with the weather.

Take care guys and don't worry about me, all is going well.

ArchAngel777
05-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Ok, so two days ago I weighed in at a dehydrated (or so I thought) 193.8. I figured this was loss of water weight. So the next two days I upped my dose of creatine and drank a ton of water. I get on the scale today and weigh 192.8. I checked it three times, same thing.

I don't have many carbs lately and I know that is some of it. But I am indeed somewhere around a solid 195 right now if I resume maintenance eating. This is encouraging though.

I did 6.2 mile blade today. I was going to the gym, missed the turn and decided to do cardio HIIT type stuff instead, on my blades of course. 2.5 weeks till the due date... Fun stuff!

Stumprrp
05-19-2006, 08:25 PM
good work gab getting real light while im trying to get real heavy :D

Coke
05-20-2006, 07:44 AM
Glad to hear it, really moved in the right direction weight wise...getting sessions in twice a week will work for now.