PDA

View Full Version : Buy a Crockpot (slow cooker)

Anthony
03-03-2001, 03:32 PM
These things are amazing. Why hasn't anyone mentioned these to me before??

Throw everything in it, turn it on, 10-14 hours later (overnight) the food is done to perfection. No supervision is required and it's near impossible to overcook the food.

I reduced my actual hands on cooking time from ~2 hours to 10-20 minutes prep. Crockpot takes care of the rest.

And if you ever had food from a crockpot before, you know how good it is (the slower you heat food, the better it tastes). I guess I just didn't realize how simple it was.

I bought the biggest one I could find (6 quarts) and it cost all of $63 Canadian (after taxes, too). Excellent investment.

And in case you are wondering how much food you can cook at once (my primary concern before I looked at them), I have about 12 medium potatoes, 2 carrots, and a 3lb roast in it right now ... and lots of room left.

Anthony
03-04-2001, 06:55 AM
Wow. This thing is amazing. My roast is so tender that you can cut it with a fork and it practically melts in your mouth. Potatoes and carrots have a brownish color because of the broth and spices, but they are very tender and tasty.

The best part is, the fat that 'marbles' through a roast actually melts. When I cook a roast in the oven, I end up cutting off big pieces of fat. With this roast, I cut off 2 very small pieces on the outside of the roast that did not melt. Don't misinterpret this - the fat is still in the crockpot, but it melts out of the roast (nothing worse than trying to chew a tough piece of fat at work).

Anyway, just thought I'd update my crockpot adventure. I'm very impressed. :)

Oh, I even overcooked by 2 hours. A couple of potatoe slices on the top were kind of dry, but other than that - perfect.

Frankster
03-04-2001, 07:11 AM
I think you should keep your mouth shut and keep this a New Brunswick secret :D

Anthony
03-04-2001, 07:39 AM
Everything I said above was a lie.

Joe Black
03-04-2001, 09:22 AM
LOL....

I think Anthony's gf is going to get jealous..

He seems very excited about this :D

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-04-2001, 10:00 AM
Surely your electricity or gas bill will go through the roof if you're cooking for 14 hours straight!

Frankster
03-04-2001, 10:07 AM
YES Chicken Daddy, thats right, thats why its a BAD idea for you guys to use it.

mwehehehe

Anthony
03-04-2001, 04:13 PM
Hehehe ... lower watts compared to conventional cooking ... I mean ... you're right ... better forget the whole idea. ;)

Budiak
03-04-2001, 10:38 PM
Hey, that sounds like a long time to cook some meat.
Maybe I'll get one and just throw some steak and potatoes in there when i'm not even hungry. By the time its done, WHO KNOWS?

Sinep
03-05-2001, 06:57 AM
Budiak, in my book, 'not hungry' is not a word, it's not two words either ;). I'm always hungry :).

Frankster
03-05-2001, 07:31 AM
A bodybuilder should always be hungry, even when he's not hungry :)

pr3
03-05-2001, 06:16 PM
Anthony, just realized you're Caezar! (with the crockpot post).

What's the deal? Cooking 24/7? No wonder you're looking pretty fat. LOL

jk--if you have so much food, why don't you FedEx some to those who have a hard time eating 6 meals a day! With you, we would sure become Bulkmonsters.

And hey, where did you get this crackpot? Oh, i'm sorry, crockpot? Since it's blown you away, just thought you knew the place to get it. LOL

Seriously?

Anthony
03-05-2001, 06:20 PM
I bought mine at Sears, smart ass! :)

PS - I'm not fat, I'm big boned!!!!

pr3
03-05-2001, 06:25 PM
Damn right,

I am a smartass!

I got you tell all of us how to get the freakin' CROCKPOT! Thanks. Appreciate it!

And yes, FAT.

Darcy Tucker
03-16-2004, 08:30 PM
Anthony tell me your favourite combinations of meat, carbs, and veggies to cook in a crockpot. Can you cook steak on a bone in it or would it make a lot more sense to grill it? Also if you put something like asparagus into the crockpot with a roast don't the veggies get soggy and overcooked since they don't need as much time to cook as the roast? Thanks

Anthony
03-17-2004, 04:19 AM
This is an oldie! Well, my favorite combo in the crockpot is roast beef, potatoes, and carrots. I can't see why you couldn't cook steak with a bone, although steak is always better on the grill. I've never had vegetables go soggy, but if you are concerned, you could always add them half way through. I've done cabbage rolls and they turn out delicious. There are TONS of recipes on google for crockpots, check them out. :)

Darcy Tucker
03-17-2004, 08:26 AM
Goodstuff I'm so pumped to buy mine.

GrumpyTX
03-17-2004, 09:47 AM
I have 4 of them. I have two large ones to cook meat in and two smaller ones for additional veggies. I usually load mine up with a roast, chicken, or beef cubes in the morning and let it slow cook 8-10 hours and it is ready for supper when we get home from work.

ryuage
03-17-2004, 10:15 AM
all this talk about a crockpot makes me want to go and get one... but my george foreman seems to do the job already.

ecliptic
03-17-2004, 10:25 AM
all this talk about a crockpot makes me want to go and get one... but my george foreman seems to do the job already.

yeah makes me want to eat a freakin' roast. I love potatoes and carrots with a huge slab of roast beef. Dammit.. oh well, lunch break in 30 minutes! :)

Anthony
03-17-2004, 12:03 PM
The George Foreman Grill is awesome too. Chicken breasts, steak, sausages, bacon, hashbrowns, etc, etc. Mmmmmmmmm .....

Allie
03-17-2004, 12:11 PM
We use our crockpot for saurkraut and sausage MMMMMM! But we also use it for roast, chili, and soup as well. My roomie actually has a roast in our right now *lol*

Anthony
03-17-2004, 12:30 PM
I just had sausages and sauerkraut last night, but I did it on the GF grill. How long do you cook it in a crockpot?

ogarchamplin
03-17-2004, 05:33 PM
i just bought one over the weekend. I bought an eye roast and some carrots and onions and potatos. i just am trying to Google my way on how to prepare and how long to cook it

Allie
03-17-2004, 08:43 PM
We drain and rinse the saurkraut and cut the sausage into little peices and throw it on low and leave for the day :) Super easy and oh so good! It doesn't get burnt or cripy just has lots of good flavor.

As for your roast, little season salt or bullion, onions, and pepper on your roast, throw the potatoes and carrots in it too with just a little bit of water and roll out for the day you'll come home to dinner. FYI for all of the crock newbies ALWAYS peel your veggies, otherwise all of your food will tast like the peels YUCK!

GrumpyTX
03-18-2004, 10:13 AM
I like to put 6 chicken breast in with a package of lipton onion soup mix and 2 cups water.

Wild rice, 2 red bell peppers, 1 green bell pepper, shrimp/chicken and water (sorry, cant remember exact amount). Add in red pepper, tabasco sauce, and black pepper. Makes a pretty good jambalaya for a slow cooker.

Anthony
03-18-2004, 10:25 AM
Damn that sounds good, Allie and Grumpy!!

GrumpyTX
03-18-2004, 11:03 AM
Hell, I got a ton of recipes. I mix and match all kinds of meat and vegetables in them.

Another good one is Chicken breasts and italian dressing.

(Damn, now I am getting hungry and this turkey/wheat bread sandwich is not looking so good)

GrumpyTX
03-18-2004, 11:06 AM
Lean cut thick steaks.

Cut into squares or strips.
Throw in some terriyaki (sp?) sauce, water, and spices. Goes good over wild rice. (The strength of the terriyaki sauce depends on the ratio to water you use)

Anthony
03-18-2004, 11:11 AM
LOL, I was thinking the same thing about my PB&J sandwich!!

Scott S
03-18-2004, 05:52 PM
:drooling:

Allie
03-18-2004, 08:15 PM
OK I will let you all know I have never claimed to know how to cook (ask Pup about the time I made him dinner *lol*) But *cheat* cooking I'm good at, a monkey could use a crockpot so I feel like I can throw **** in and it should turn out decent.

GrumpyTX
03-19-2004, 08:50 AM
I mainly use it due to my schedule.

0400-0600 gym
0600-0700 cook my breakfast and get food in crockpot (Also throw some chicken/fish in the oven for my meals for the day)
0700-0715 cook wife and kids breakfast
0715-0730 get ready for work
0730-0830 take son to school and go to work
0830-1730 work
1730-1830 pick kids up from school and sitter
1830-1900 feed daugther and cook side dishes for crockpot meal
1900-1920 wife gets home
1920-1945 eat supper
1945-2000 get both kids bathed

2030 1 yr old goes to bed
2045 6 yr old goes to bed

2045-? clean up kitchen and pack lunches for next day

App 2300-2400 go to bed.

As you can see, I dont have time to cook in the evenings so I am very thankful for a crockpot. All my grilling happens on the weekends.

ogarchamplin
03-19-2004, 08:56 AM
I just used mine yesterday for the first time. I threw in a small eye roast w/ sliced carrots, potaotos, celery, and onions. I brown the roast on all sides first really fast on high heat and then fried the onions in the juice from the roast 8 hours later i had my first meal. Can you make fish in it? i eat a lot of baked Talipia and was looking for some time savers

GrumpyTX
03-19-2004, 09:16 AM
I have seen receipes for fish but I have never used any. Since my son and me are the only ones that eat fish, I usually just bake it for us.

ogarchamplin
03-19-2004, 09:18 AM
I have seen receipes for fish but I have never used any. Since my son and me are the only ones that eat fish, I usually just bake it for us.

Whats your favorite fish? and how do you prepare it? i love baked Talipia with a little bit of Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper

GrumpyTX
03-19-2004, 09:59 AM
Baked Cod or Baked Talipia. What ever they have that is pretty fresh at the super market.

I put a little lemon juice on them, sprinkle black pepper, sprinkle red pepper, and top with a couple strips of cut up red bell pepper.

(I am Cajun, so red pepper and bell peppers go on about everything)

Bake my chicken the same way minus the lemon juice.

ryuage
03-19-2004, 10:46 AM
you in the military grumpy?? anyway you guys cook rice in these things?

Anthony
03-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Rice goes to mush pretty easily.

ogarchamplin
03-19-2004, 11:19 AM
I just used mine yesterday for the first time. I threw in a small eye roast w/ sliced carrots, potaotos, celery, and onions. I brown the roast on all sides first really fast on high heat and then fried the onions in the juice from the roast 8 hours later i had my first meal. Can you make fish in it? i eat a lot of baked Talipia and was looking for some time savers

I also cheated and instead of water i used a low sodium fat free beef broth to cook in

GrumpyTX
03-19-2004, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I cook rice but I normally add in meats and veggies to it. It does get fairly soft but I dont mind it when the other ingredients are included.

Yes, I was in the Marine Corps from 95 to late 2000.

I was medically discharged due to an old hunting accident injury that was causing problems. I was shot with a shotgun from 2 feet away that blew out the back of my leg and I still have 46 BB's in there. Due to training (especially running which I never really did before joining) the BB's started to form cyst and caused my leg to go numb. Couldnt fix it so they let me go.

GrumpyTX
03-19-2004, 02:19 PM
OIC why you asked about the military. Yeah, the 24 hr clock has kinda stuck with me. I used it in the military and I use it at my current job since all of our software and unix servers run on that clock.

ryuage
03-19-2004, 02:31 PM
ahh i c.. so may i ask what you did in the marines and what you do now?

GrumpyTX
03-19-2004, 03:12 PM
Started out in infantry, machine gunner, and then moved to LAV's. Spent some time there and in Personell. I now support proprietary work force management software. Kinda stumbled into computers but it pays good.

Just noticed your in Ft. Bragg. What do you do?

ryuage
03-19-2004, 03:25 PM
I do satellite communications, but honestly dont see myself persuing it as a career.

GrumpyTX
03-19-2004, 03:32 PM
I thought the corps would be my career but that didnt happen.

I just kinda stumbled into a computer job and it pays pretty good so I cant complain. Get my own office and play on the internet all day. LOL

ryuage
03-19-2004, 04:09 PM
sounds fun :)

ogarchamplin
03-19-2004, 10:25 PM
I know of a girl once who made Tuna Helper in a crockpot and cooked it on low for 12 hours. I was told that it was horrible..lol

Darcy Tucker
04-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Mission one:

FAILED

I'm a crockpot failure. I tried using my mom's old one and threw in 3 big peeled potatoes and a small pork roast. The potatoes were done first and I took them out. I put too much water in the crockpot so my roast turned into mush. I'm not happy about it. I put in asparagus in the last 30 minutes of cooking the roast..and they turned out undercooked.

Do you guys and girls with crockpots feel comfortable leaving them unattended for hours on end with the chance of fire?

Darcy Tucker
04-08-2004, 12:27 PM
If I am cooking a roast or chicken breasts how much water do I need at the bottom. Is it even necessary to have water? The water made my roast a stew. I had about half an inch.

ogarchamplin
04-08-2004, 12:30 PM
I usually fill about half way of the pot. You can use a low sodium beef broth or chicken broth too. What heat did you have yours set on and for how long?

Darcy Tucker
04-08-2004, 12:37 PM
You seriously fill yours halfway up the roast with water? Doesn't in just turn to mush?

I had mine on high at first then turned to low. I cooked it for about 6 hours.

GrumpyTX
04-08-2004, 12:47 PM
I put 2 cups water in with mine. I have an automatic cooker. I set it to 8 hours and then after 8 hours it switches over to warm and just keeps the roast nice and warm for supper.

I have a couple that I have to adjust the settings and I use those for vegetables. Just turn them on low and let them run all day.

ogarchamplin
04-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Crockpot 101

Basics of Cooking Lesson Series

Related Resources
All Busy Cooks Cooking Lessons
Four Ingredient Crockopt Recipes
Five Ingredient Crockpot Recipes
More Five Ingredient Crockpot Recipes
Healthy Crockpot Recipes
One Dish Crockpot Meals
More Crockpot Information

Get The Busy Cooks Newsletter!

The crockpot or slow cooker is one of the best time saving appliances in the kitchen. It's great for beginning cooks because all you have to do is fill it and turn it on. Hours later, you come home to a house filled with wonderful smells and dinner ready for the table. Here are some basic tips about using your crockpot.

BASIC TIPS

When purchasing a crockpot, look for one with a removable liner. They are much easier to clean. If you have a nonremovable liner, however, all is not lost! Line your crockpot with a cooking bag and you'll have no cleanup at all. Spray the inside of the liner with cooking spray before you fill it to make cleanup easier.
Only fill the crockpot one half to three quarters full. The foods will not cook properly if the appliance is filled to the brim. If the food and liquid level is lower, the foods will cook too quickly.
Foods cooked on the bottom of the slow cooker cook faster and will be moister because they are immersed in the simmering liquid.
Remove skin from poultry, and trim excess fat from meats. Fats will melt with long cooking times, and will add an unpleasant texture to the finished dish. Fatty foods will also cook too quickly.
You can thicken the juices and concentrate flavors by removing the lid and cooking on HIGH for the last half hour of cooking time.
140 degrees is the temperature the food needs to reach as quickly as possible. If you are at home during the cooking times, test the food temperature after four hours of cooking on LOW - the temp should be at least 140 degrees. If it isn't, there's a problem with your crockpot and you should get a new one.
For food safety reasons, it's a good idea to cook on HIGH for the first hour to quickly bring the temperature up to 140 degrees. Then turn the dial to LOW and finish cooking.
The LOW setting is about 200 degrees, and the HIGH setting is about 300 degrees. Note that both of these temps are well above the minimum safe temperature of 140 degrees.
Experts recommend you do not put frozen foods in the crockpot. All foods should be defrosted before cooking so the food temperature can reach 140 degrees as soon as possible.
Most meats require 8 hours of cooking on LOW. Use cheaper cuts of meat - not only do you save money, but these meats work better in the slow cooker. Cheaper cuts of meat have less fat, which makes them more suited to crockpot cooking. Moist, long cooking times result in very tender meats.
Ground meats must be cooked in a skillet before cooking in the crockpot.
Seafood should be added during the last hour of cooking time, or it will overcook and have a rubbery texture.
Large pieces of meat can be browned before cooking in the crockpot, but this step isn't necessary. Browning adds color and helps in flavor development.
One hour on HIGH is equal to two hours on LOW.
Cayenne pepper and tabasco sauce tend to become bitter if cooked for long periods of time. Use small amounts and add toward the end of the cooking time.
Add tender vegetables like tomatoes, mushrooms and zucchini during the last 45 minutes of cooking time so they don't overcook.
Dairy products should be added during the last 30 minutes of cooking time, unless the recipes states otherwise.
Liquids do not boil away in the crockpot, so if you are making a recipe that wasn't specifically developed for the crockpot, reduce the liquid by 1/3 to 1/2 unless you are cooking rice or making soup.
Remove cooked food from the crockpot or liner before storage. Because the liner is made of such thick material, the food won't cool down quickly enough to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.
Stir in spices for the last hour of cooking. They will lose flavor if cooked with the rest of the ingredients for the long cooking period.
Follow the layering instructions carefully. Vegetables do not cook as quickly as meat, so they should be placed in the bottom of the appliance.
Don't lift the lid to stir, especially if you are cooking on the low setting. Each time you lift the lid, enough heat will escape that the cooking time should be extended by 20 minutes to half an hour. To check progress without lifting the lid, spin the cover until the condensation falls off. Then it's easy to see inside

ogarchamplin
04-08-2004, 12:49 PM
http://busycooks.about.com/cs/crockpotrecipes/a/3ingredcrock.htm