PDA

View Full Version : Measuring nutrients

Blazin Civic
01-02-2006, 10:42 PM
I am trying to make a solid plan to eat pretty much the same thing everyday to get the proper calories but I have no idea how to measure nutrients in a lot of food because some of it just can't be found on fit day and stuff like that. Any ideas?

cphafner
01-02-2006, 11:00 PM
I am trying to make a solid plan to eat pretty much the same thing everyday to get the proper calories but I have no idea how to measure nutrients in a lot of food because some of it just can't be found on fit day and stuff like that. Any ideas?

What are you eating that can't be found on fitday? Does the food come packaged with a label, if so create a custom food on fitday.

Blazin Civic
01-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Well for lunch everday I get a chicken parm hero from the local pizza place...they load it up with chicken for me so I always see it as a great source of calories and protein but that is a big part of my diet as it is a large 1 foot hero. Plus lots of other little things.

Built
01-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Now you're starting to see what "eating clean" means - it's not that you can't make a diet work with the stuff you're eating, but you can't TRACK.

Start making your own food. That way you KNOW what's in it.

Blazin Civic
01-03-2006, 12:02 AM
yeah that is what I have been doing. Sadly I don't really have that choice for work since I have no way to heat it there and well....I love my chicken parm hero. I consider it to be a big part of my bulk lol.

Built
01-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Well, if you eat it every day, it's a constant. Just vary the rest of your diet to manipulate the outcome.

cphafner
01-03-2006, 05:34 AM
yeah that is what I have been doing. Sadly I don't really have that choice for work since I have no way to heat it there and well....I love my chicken parm hero. I consider it to be a big part of my bulk lol.

not all food has to be heated up. You can bring sandwhiches, such as tuna or PBJ. Meal replacement shakes are also your friend.

muscleup
01-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Well for lunch everday I get a chicken parm hero from the local pizza place...they load it up with chicken for me so I always see it as a great source of calories and protein but that is a big part of my diet as it is a large 1 foot hero. Plus lots of other little things.
Why don't you ask the Pizza place how many oz of chicken they put on your hero? I'm sure they have a food scale, and would probably measure it for you if you asked. You can estimate the bread from the hero on fit day. Cheese can also be estimated by the slice as well. If they put any pasta sauce on the sandwich, which is usually common on a chicken parm, you can estimate the amount and use the nutrition label from a Prego or Ragu bottle.

You should be able to get a pretty good estimation of how many cals the sandwich is by breaking each component down.

You could also go to a site like subway.com and check out the calorie ratios for their chicken breast subs and get pretty close that way as well.

Blazin Civic
01-03-2006, 11:48 AM
that is a pretty good idea man. I will probably ask them sometime soon since I am cool with them and they will probably understand since from the looks of everyone there they are all into lifting.

malkore
01-03-2006, 03:26 PM
exactly my suggestion Muscleup...ask them the weight of the chicken. then just guesstimate the size of the bun its on within fitday. most condiments can be found in fitday (i'm thinking your hero might have some red sauce on it?)

cphafner
01-03-2006, 08:34 PM
that is a pretty good idea man. I will probably ask them sometime soon since I am cool with them and they will probably understand since from the looks of everyone there they are all into lifting.

You'll have to ask them the nutrient breakdown of the cheese as well. Most restuarants use cheese that is very high in fat.