PDA

View Full Version : New Member, (Links to pics inside).

Smeghead
01-03-2006, 03:40 PM
6'1"
172 LBS
Go to the gym 3 times a week.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/503/Holla3.jpg
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/503/Holla.jpg
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/503/V1.jpg
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/503/Stomach1.jpg
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/503/V2.jpg

Comments please.

d'Anconia
01-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Looks like both you and I need to go learn how to do some legit poses. Anyway it's hard to comment on when you aren't stating your goals or how long you've been lifting etc.
Naturally, of course, if I were you I would be putting on some more weight and getting up to at least 200 lbs, but that's just me. You're lucky you're 6'1"; I always kinda wanted to be over 6' but alas I'm stuck at 5'11".

Bob
01-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Welcome aboard Smeg...
Looks like you have a good frame to add some mass..
Good Luck.. and
Lift Hard, Eat right and Sleep enough..

KevinStarke
01-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Bah, sleeps overrated. Waste of time if you ask me! Solid looking base man lift heavy.

getfit
01-03-2006, 04:35 PM
good base to work on

ROMANMAN
01-03-2006, 05:19 PM
You definately look like you have alote of potential so hit the weights and food hard. Fatrb: Trust me its not that fun to be tall, I'm 6'4 and it makes it such a pain in the ass to get bigger and "fill out".

-TIM-
01-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Well you're lean, and it looks like you have some potential. Definitely need to put on some weight though. Just keep plugging away at it. Good luck.

samj
01-04-2006, 01:24 PM
i love your face on the first pic gain 50lbs

jkirkpatrick
01-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Trust me its not that fun to be tall, I'm 6'4 and it makes it such a pain in the ass to get bigger and "fill out".

Milk (edit: worked for me)

ROMANMAN
01-04-2006, 05:50 PM
I didnt say it whas impossible but it is alote more difficult.

Smeghead
01-05-2006, 02:15 AM
Looks like both you and I need to go learn how to do some legit poses.
:angel:

Anyway it's hard to comment on when you aren't stating your goals or how long you've been lifting etc
I've been lifting since the end of June 2005. So it's basicly a half of year now (3 times a week).

Naturally, of course, if I were you I would be putting on some more weight and getting up to at least 200 lbs,
That will be very difficult for me since I find it hard to gain weight. But something like that. 190 would be great.

You definately look like you have alote of potential so hit the weights and food hard. Fatrb: Trust me its not that fun to be tall, I'm 6'4 and it makes it such a pain in the ass to get bigger and "fill out".
Totally agree, I feel the same and I'm only 6'1".

I drink one cup of milk everyday.

I love your face on the first pic gain 50lbs
lol. Anyway, 50 lbs more is too much.

Thanks everyone for responding :cool:

Clifford Gillmore
01-05-2006, 06:05 AM
At your height, gaining 80lbs would be just right. I'd also drink at least 8 cups of milk a day, easy to do with shakes and weightgainers. How many cals do you consume a day? Whats your routine like? Do you have a www.fitday.com account? You have a good frame, and you need to do some filling! Say good bye to the abs for a while, the girls won't care - you shouldn't either, bulk like a demon.

Smeghead
01-05-2006, 06:59 AM
At your height, gaining 80lbs would be just right.
Haha, no way I would like to weight 250lbs and no way I could get that big even if I wanted too.

I'd also drink at least 8 cups of milk a day, easy to do with shakes and weightgainers.
I don't do any weightgainers

How many cals do you consume a day?
I think I have that on paper. Will check when I come home.

Whats your routine like?
3 times a week to the gym. About 1 hour each time. 1 day arms, 1 day back abs & Shoulder and 1 day a little of everything.

Do you have a www.fitday.com account?
Nope, should i?

diesel_dan
01-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Man, you've got a lot to learn. You've come to the right place though. First off you need to get your diet in check. Fit day is good to get that way you can track your calories easier. Gaining some weight will do you a world of good.

Second off, ditch that routine (not sure exactly what you do on those days but im assuming your not doing compound movements -if you are though then I apologize for my assumption). Try a routine like wbb1 : http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25 . You need to focus on compound lifts/movements (squats, deadlift, bench press, pull-ups, etc).

You can either gain muscle (bulk), maintain muscle, or define muscle (cut). So it's up to you what you want to do. If you choose to gain muscle then you need to eat more calories than your maintenance calories. If you choose to maintain your muscle then you need to eat right at maintenance calories. If you choose to define muscle then you need to eat less calories then maintenance. Most people either add or subtract 500 calories to start, depending on what they want to do.

Some basic guidelines you should stick to are: 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of lbm (lean body mass) & 0.5 grams of fat "minimum" per pound of lbm. Then if you meet those guidelines the rest of your macronutrients and calories won't really matter where they come from (more fats, more protein, carbs) as long as your within your calorie range you've set.

Hope this helps you a little bit, with some questions you may of had or planned on asking.

Smeghead
01-05-2006, 08:21 AM
And you're only 15, jesus, lol.

diesel_dan
01-05-2006, 08:26 AM
Not sure if that was an insult or not? If it was though, you can take my advice with a grain of salt, but if you do the research you will find everything I have said to be true. Their are plenty of knowledgeable "younger" people on these boards that know what they are talking about. We have did the research and have taken the time to learn from the rest of the people here. It would benefit you to do the same :) .

jkirkpatrick
01-05-2006, 09:03 AM
... I drink one cup of milk everyday ...

I drink ~16 litres a week. Previous to this, I was under the belief that I was a "hardgainer" and had a difficult time to "fill out".

Turns out I was wrong. I just wasn't getting enough calories in me.

Smeghead
01-05-2006, 09:08 AM
So Milk really helps me gaining weight?
Also, what kind of milk should I drink?

jkirkpatrick
01-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Check my signature.

Works for me.

Smeghead
01-05-2006, 09:27 AM
But do I have to drink as much as 16 litres a week, I mean that's a lot!

Bob
01-05-2006, 09:31 AM
What jPatrick was saying is that is what it took for him to get enough calories...
You have got to find the amount of milk, protein, etc.. that will get you those calories to bulk.

-TIM-
01-05-2006, 09:45 AM
That will be very difficult for me since I find it hard to gain weight.From this thread alone, I would assume you are having a hard time gaining weight because of your routine, and diet. Probably diet more than anything. Most people that claim to be a "hard gainer" just don't eat enough, period.

I drink one cup of milk everyday...I don't do any weightgainersLike I just said, diet. You're probably not eating enough. Milk was suggested because it's a cheap way to get a lot of calories down the hatch. And it's generally easier to consume a surplus of calories through liquids, than solid food.

3 times a week to the gym. About 1 hour each time. 1 day arms, 1 day back abs & Shoulder and 1 day a little of everything.This is not a good routine to induce hypertrophy. You're spending a 3rd of your time in the gym working some of the smallest muscle groups. If you want to put on some size, eat, and spend your time in the gym doing compound movements. Squats for legs, pressing movements for chest, and rowing movements for back. The link diesel_dan provided outlines a great workout for beginners.

And you're only 15, jesus, lol.I too am unsure if this was an insult to diesel_dan, but rest assured that there are a number of members here, young and old, that have a lot of good information to share. On top of that, the mods (and senior members) here do a great job of correcting information that is incorrect.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Smeghead
01-05-2006, 10:13 AM
What jPatrick was saying is that is what it took for him to get enough calories...
You have got to find the amount of milk, protein, etc.. that will get you those calories to bulk.
Fair enough. I will drink 3 big glasses of Milk everyday from now on.

From this thread alone, I would assume you are having a hard time gaining weight because of your routine, and diet. Probably diet more than anything. Most people that claim to be a "hard gainer" just don't eat enough, period.
You're probably, I don't eat too much. My breakfast is one bowl of yoghurt and cereals, 1 sandwich with butter and cheese, one fruit (banana) & 1 glass of Juice (replacing with milk now). I just started with this breakfast this week, before I only had milk and cereals.

For lunch I only have 2 dubble sandwiches with chicken/bacon sallad a cup of milk and a yoghurt and sometimes a fruit.

Dinner varies offcourse but I eat quite much when I come home.
Then at night I have chocklat and soda usally.

Like I just said, diet. You're probably not eating enough. Milk was suggested because it's a cheap way to get a lot of calories down the hatch. And it's generally easier to consume a surplus of calories through liquids, than solid food.
Agreed.

This is not a good routine to induce hypertrophy. You're spending a 3rd of your time in the gym working some of the smallest muscle groups..
That's not true, I work out the biggest muscles from my waist and upwards. Hardly any legs though.

pressing movements for chest.,
That's what I do.

The link diesel_dan provided outlines a great workout for beginners
I check the link out when I come home today.

I too am unsure if this was an insult to diesel_dan, but rest assured that there are a number of members here, young and old, that have a lot of good information to share. On top of that, the mods (and senior members) here do a great job of correcting information that is incorrect.
Surely this was NOT an insult to him. It was more a compliment in fact. I was kinda shocked that he knew all this and only beeing 15 years old.

diesel_dan
01-05-2006, 10:52 AM
It would benefit you greatly to work your legs. Working your legs can promote the rest of your body to grow since it is one of the biggest muscle's in your body and when worked induces testosterone to run crazy throughout your whole body. Therefore causing everything to grow, assuming your diet is in check to allow you to do so.

It doesn't really matter how much milk or anything you eat/drink, just as long as you get the calories that you need and get the recommend amount of protein and fat. It won't matter where it comes from (as long as it is a good healthy source).

Here is another good thread that lists things that would be good for you to eat: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565 . You really should be tracking your calories and following the guidelines I listed for protein and fat.

If your not eating more than maintenance calories you will not be gaining muscle (although is it possible for people just starting off to see some muscle gain, and also possible for other people with good genetics). Generally though, it is not possible. Best of luck.

ROMANMAN
01-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Youre routine sucks major ass, try wbb#1

-TIM-
01-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Surely this was NOT an insult to him. It was more a compliment in fact. I was kinda shocked that he knew all this and only beeing 15 years old.Well that's good to hear. I knew it could be taken either way, so I didn't want to jump down your throat, but rather enforce the thought that we have some great members of various ages here with a lot to offer.

My point about your routine is that it needs to be rounded out a little better. Not that working arms is bad, its just that the great majority of us don't need to dedicate an entire workout to just bis and tris. It's really a waste of valuable time.

Consider this, when you do bench press, or any pressing movement, you're working your tris and shoulders. And any pulling movement, such as those done on back workouts, works your bis. I think a better use of time would be to dedicate one day to chest (add tris), back (add bis), and legs. You can throw in a few sets at the end of your workouts for arms, on the appropriate day. But your main focus should be on the larger muscle groups.

And please work your legs. Not just for the fact that people look stupid when they have a built upper body, and stick legs. But also for that fact that working your legs will actually help benefit your upper body gains. There are numerous articles that address this if you have any questions on that subject.

Smeghead
01-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the tips.

Smeghead
01-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Routine Split and Exercise Selection (Part I)

Day 1 : Chest and Back

Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Dips : 2 x 6-8 reps

Back

Chin ups : 2 x 6-8 reps
Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
Barbell Rows : 2 x 6-8 reps
Shrugs : 1 x 10 reps

Day 2 : OFF

Day 3 : Legs

Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
Hack Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
Leg Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
Straight Legged Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
Standing Calve Raises : 4 x 10 reps

Day 4 : OFF

Day 5 : Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps

Shoulders

Military Press in Rack : 2 x 6-8 reps
Seated Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Standing Lateral Raises : 2 x 10 reps

Routine Split and Exercise Selection (Part II)

Triceps :

Narrow Grip bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
French Press : 2 x 6-8 reps

Biceps :

Barbell Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
Hammer Curls : 1 x 6-8 reps

Day 6 : OFF

Day 7 : OFF

So I should go with this "Wannabebig Routine" you reckon?
This is great, that's only 3 days which I'm used too :)
The Schedule looks really nice to me. Probably take less time too than what I'm doing now :cool:

Sorry for the rookie question but the difference between deadlift and barbell rows is that you keep a bent position when you're doing the barbel rows, while when doing the deadlift you are standing up straight when you lift?

Like this?
Barbel rows: http://www.proten.com/images/Wt-Exercises/back-bent%20over%20barbell%20rows.gif
Deadlift: http://www.building-muscle101.com/images/stiff_leg_deadlifts.jpg

Right?

muscleup
01-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Deadlift (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html)
BO BB Row (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/BBBentOverRow.html)

-TIM-
01-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the tips.Anytime.

Smeghead
01-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Deadlift (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html)
BO BB Row (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/BBBentOverRow.html)
Yeah, I founded all the pics to almost all the excersises so I know how to do everything now (I have printed out the pics).

So I'm starting with this new program next week.
I'm excited! :ninja:

-TIM-
01-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Awesome. Be sure to get your form down, for the new exercises, before you start making weight increases.

Blazin Civic
01-05-2006, 10:29 PM
If you have any questions on form this here is the thread that will answer every question you need to know about how to properly do all the exercises in the WBB 1 routine. http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=44636

Smeghead
01-06-2006, 01:51 AM
Cheers.