PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Basics

Pjsb
01-04-2006, 11:48 AM
I have gained about 70 lbs since I've started lifting seriously about 3 years ago, and I have never really gone on a formal cut. My bf% has gone up a net 6-7%, so I never really saw a need to cut since I wanted to keep gaining size. However, I have decided it'd be a good thing to do since I miss defined abs and I know that after I cut and start bulking again my weights will go up like crazy (I've hit an annoying wall in some lifts). So, with that being said I'd like to know what the calorie breakdown for a cut should be.. I know that 40% c / 30% p / 30% f has worked for me gaining mass, but I've searched a little bit and haven't found a similar overall breakdown for cuts. I have cut about 400-500 cals out of my maintenance diet (3300-3400 cals) as a start and I have been taking in less carbs (almost none after 5 pm) and more healthy fats and protein, but I'm looking for an overall breakdown.

Adam
01-04-2006, 11:53 AM
It looks like your getting a good idea of how your cut should go.
Just keep searching the forums and you will find the answers for your questions.

Another easy way to search is find all of the posts by a user(someone knowledgeable in diet - aka Built) and read there relevant posts.
Good luck.

Built
01-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Okay, 40-30-30 is no more meaningful for a bulk than a cut. There's nothing magical about dietary ratios that are anchored to your total calories.

For a cut OR a bulk, make sure your protein is no lower than a gram per pound LBM, and your fats no lower than 0.5g/LB LBM. The rest of your calories can be made of ANYTHING.
But carbs make you hungry. Fats and proteins are more satisfying. On a cut, this is a consideration. I like to keep my fats at about 0.8g/lb LBM or even higher on a cut if I can afford the calories. Usually, protein is at about 1.5 or so g/lb LBM. But that's me.

For a cut, drop total cals by no more than about 20%.
For your lifting, just keep the workouts short, heavy, and intense. Keep the weight you lift if at all possible, but shorter sets with longer rests, less volume.

ArchAngel777
01-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Okay, 40-30-30 is no more meaningful for a bulk than a cut. There's nothing magical about dietary ratios that are anchored to your total calories.

For a cut OR a bulk, make sure your protein is no lower than a gram per pound LBM, and your fats no lower than 0.5g/LB LBM. The rest of your calories can be made of ANYTHING.
But carbs make you hungry. Fats and proteins are more satisfying. On a cut, this is a consideration. I like to keep my fats at about 0.8g/lb LBM or even higher on a cut if I can afford the calories. Usually, protein is at about 1.5 or so g/lb LBM. But that's me.

For a cut, drop total cals by no more than about 20%.
For your lifting, just keep the workouts short, heavy, and intense. Keep the weight you lift if at all possible, but shorter sets with longer rests, less volume.

Awesome advice :cool:

Davidelmo
01-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Yep, I agree with built (again lol)

Looking good. Dont worry about the ratios... just worry about the actual values themselves.

Lift heavy and good luck! :D