PDA

View Full Version : More Skinny, Less Fat

Skinny Fat
01-05-2006, 12:38 PM
The 2006 Demolition & Construction

Hello all, and welcome to the new journal. The first part of 2006 will be devoted to Demolition (cutting & forming a solid base for growth), and then I'll start Construction (I get to eat again!). I'll post a link to my FitDay soon - I'm hoping to keep my calories in the 1700-2000 range, and see what kind of weight loss that leads to. I will recalculate as necessary. I'm working on a three-day-a-week full-body regime that will work the 'Big 4' (big 3 plus chins), as well as isolation exercises.

Stats as of Jan 3:
196lb (gym shorts; no shoes)
Bench: 5x5 with 45s
Chins: 3x5 BW
Squat: 5x5 with 35s
Deads: 5x5 with 35s

Obviously, my squats and deads have a long, long, long way to go; deads felt very strong, and they'll go up quickly in the coming weeks, but I've just started ATF on my squats, and they need to stay stable for a little while until I perfect my form.

Skinny Fat
01-05-2006, 12:50 PM
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=pudgyneil

As you can see, I started out OK (low calories, crap for nutrients), and have successively gotten my diet better every day. Protein's going up (thank you, canned tuna and chicken breast), and carbs are going down (out, out, damned sandwiches!).

Far from perfect, but I'm just starting to get the hang of this...

Skinny Fat
01-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Day One Workout:

Weight: 196 lb

BB Squats:
35s x 5 x 5

Chins:
BW x 3 x 5 (3 sets, 5 reps)

BB Bench:
45s x 5 x 5

BB Deadlift:
35s x 5 x 5

Notes: This was just a 'where am I?' day. I feel good about my bench - for a weakling, a plate on each side isn't bad. I feel good about where I'm going with my squats - my form is pretty darned good, and I feel pretty strong. That will go up quickly once I trust myself. Deadlifts felt strong, but my form is crap. I'm going to have to watch myself in about 4 different mirrors simultaneously and find a lifting partner to help me out. I've never really deadlifted, and just watching the guy on ExRx do it isn't quite enough. That will go up very quickly once I find my form. Chins have been up to 5x5 at BW, so a few more days in the gym and I'll get that back. Then it's time to start adding weight!

Bob
01-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Good Start Skinny...
Good Luck on your progress and goals...

Skinny Fat
01-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the kind words - I've always been able to 'do right' for up to 4 or 5 months at a time, but this is the beginning of something good, I can tell.

Short term goals: lean as hell for my brother's wedding in May, and for swimsuit season thereafter; Special Forces-fit for the summer; strong dude for his size by winter; badass by the winter after that.

Skinny Fat
01-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Day Two (Jan 6)

Weight (shorts and t-shirt): 195

DB Shrugs: 45x10, 50x10
Farmers Walk: 50lb DBs
Cable crossovers (weight each side): 40x10, 50x10
Incline Rows: 100x10, 110x10
BB Skullcrushers to Close-Grip: 50x10/10x2
BB Curls: 50x10, 70x8
Weighted Incline Crunch: 35lb plate, 1st incline level, 10x2
Back Extensions: 10x2
Leg Raises: 10x2
Leg Extensions: 80x10, 90x10
Ham Curls: 70x10x2
DB Calf Raises: 50x10x2

Notes: The idea here is to train on alternative, isolating exercises two days a week, and the Big 4 the third day. I'll try (like today) to hit every muscle group specifically, alternating which exercises I use to hit the stabilizers in different ways. Today, I've come to the conclusion that I can shrug far more than I can grip comfortably, that the crunch elevation is going to need to go up, and that my weight in just about every exercise needs to go up. But that's good, because I'll still be sore tomorrow, and at least I was completely safe today.

The 'Incline Rows' is a weird machine they just put in the gym; I was torn between doing pulldowns and seated rows today, and this machine actually makes you pull from a 45 degree angle - the perfect blend. I don't know how that's going to translate to my body, but it felt good.

Overall, a pretty decent day of exercise, I got in and out in 45 minutes, and I feel I used every last muscle in my body. I think Sunday I'm going to go back to the Big 4 5x5 workout, then do Tuesdays and Thursdays on the isolations.

Skinny Fat
01-06-2006, 09:36 AM
A Rant

I really should have gone a different direction when I signed up for a gym last summer; it's right down the street from me, it's relatively inexpensive, but it's also pretty small, and it's starting to cater to older people. The just took out their only 'do anything' cable machine to make room for Free Motion cable machines; the Free Motion machines seem alright, but really? Why take out that nice, big cable machine that you can do cable crossovers, weighted crunches, tricep extensions, curls, and chins on without moving to a different spot?? That's the perfect machine! Ugh. It was a little old, kind of dingy-looking, so it didn't match all the pretty white machines. And it intimidated the 45-year-old women who powerwalk to the gym to work on three machines while their personal trainers tell them how good they look.

Please, please, please - don't ever get rid of the one squat cage! It's bad enough that it's the only one, plus the only place a guy can do chins! You will lose my business!!!

F'n year contracts. :swear:

Skinny Fat
01-09-2006, 07:49 AM
Sunday, Jan. 8

Pullups
BWx4x5 (4 sets - fifth set attempted and failed)

BB Squats
35x5x5

BB Bench
45x5x5

BB Deads
35x5x5

Notes: Didn't check my weight. Everything felt strong; next Sunday I should be able to crank out all five sets of the pull-ups, and each exercise is going to increase 5lbs a side. Bench felt extremely strong. I ate a big burger with fries the night before, so I'm sure my body loved the extra calories...

Skinny Fat
01-09-2006, 07:50 AM
NOTE

All BB weights are 'weight per side'; I'm not sure the weight of the bar at this point, so for instance, 45 will be 90 lb + the weight of the bar for bench.

Skinny Fat
01-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Day Two (Jan. 10)

DB Shrugs: 55x10x2
DB Calf Raises: 55x15x2
Forearm Twist: 10lb plate x 1
Cable Crossovers: 50x10x2
Skullcrushers/Close-grips: 60x10/10x2
BB Curls: 70x10x2
Incline Row: 110x10x2
Weighted Crunch: 35lb plate 10x2
Back Extensions: 15x2
Leg Raises: 15x2
Leg Extensions: 100x10x2
Leg Curls: 90x10x2

Notes: I held those 55lb dumbells for shrugs going straight into calf raises, and that burned out my forearms to the point where everything else suffered. I'm definitely going to wait on those till after the rest of my upper body lifts the next time around.

Skinny Fat
01-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Day Three Jan. 12

Pull-ups: BWx6x2
Cable Flies: 60x10x2
DB Shoulder Press: 35x10x2
Seated Rows: 110x10x2
DB Shrugs: 55x10x2
BB Skullcrushers/Close-grip: 60x10/10x2
DB Hammer Curls: 25x10x2
Forearm Twist: 10lb plate x 2
DB Walking Lunges: 20 x aerobics room length x 2
Overhead Squat: 35lb medicine ball x 10 x 2
Crunches: 10
Back Extensions: 10
Weighted Crunches: 45x10
Weighted Back Extensions: 25x10

Notes: WEAK day. I didn't really get the chance to eat before I went in, and all the weight felt really heavy today. But I made it all the way through, and felt great walking out. It all started with the pull-ups, which I thought would be fine, maybe I could get two sets of ten - I struggled to get 6. Ugh.

Skinny Fat
01-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Day One Jan. 15

BB Bench
1pps x5
1pps +5 x5
1pps +7.5 x3x5

BB Squat
35 x5
1pps x4x5

BW Pull-up
4x5

BB DL
1pps x5x5

Notes: Bench felt great; I'm going to a full 55 per side next week. I'm still working on that damn pull-up - I can't believe I still can't get 5x5. Squats were tough; I can get that first inch or so from the bottom no problem, but the next couple of inches are really hard. Then the 'pull your hips forward' advice takes over. Deads were strong. 55 per side no sweat next week.

deeder
01-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Looking pretty decent man! Keep up the hard work!

I'm pretty sure BB's weigh 45lbs. I generally add them as 40lbs when I count weight because I'm sure they aren't all perfect.

Skinny Fat
01-16-2006, 08:31 AM
Yeah, I read the 45lb standard, but I didn't want to assume; I guess I'll start.

Thanks for the encouragement! My brother was in town this weekend, so I ate like complete crap. Time to get back to the cut! :)

Skinny Fat
01-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Day Two Jan. 17

DB Decline Bench: 45x15x2
Incline Row: 120x10x2
DB Arnold Press: 30x12x2
BB Skullcrushers/Close-grip: 70x10/10x2
Forearm Twisters: 15lb x2
Weighted Crunches: 45x10x2
Weighted Back Ext: 25x10x2
Walking DB Lunges: 30xlength of floor x 3

Notes: I decided today, based on my squat strength and the tightness in my legs today, to change it up slightly - the 'Day Two' lifts are going to be upper body-centric, with lunges or some other general leg exercise mixed in, and the 'Day Three' lifts will be leg-centric with some basic upper body movements mixed in.

My hypothetical Day Three will look like:
Heavy Box Squats
Deads for high reps
Lunges
Calf Raises
Squats for high reps
Cable Flies for high reps
BW Pull-ups for high reps
Abs/Back

...and in the future, my Day Two will be:
Benches for high reps
BW Pull-ups for high reps
Dips
Seated Rows
Shoulder Press
Bicep ex
Tricep ex
Forearm ex
Squats for high reps
Abs/Back

Skinny Fat
01-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Day Three Jan. 19

Only had 20 minutes:

BB Squats
35ps x12

BB Bench
35px x15

BB SLDL
35ps x20

BB Box Squats
35ps x6

BW Pull-ups
8 reps, 6 reps

...and out. Very weak today, very fast workout - I basically threw a few things around hoping not to lose strength before Sunday.

Skinny Fat
01-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Day One Jan. 22

BB Squat
1pps x5x5

BB Bench
135 x5
155 x5x4

BB DL
135 x5
155 x5
185 x5x3

BW Pull-up
BW x5x3
BW x3x2

Notes: It's sad, but my bench is officially significantly stronger than my squat. I guess I'm just not focused enough + not strong enough, because the last two reps of my squat were finished off with a GM. I'm definitely going to work harder on it the next month or so to see if I can bring it up. My bench felt great, and my deadlift felt so good after the first set that I knew I was ready to push it. Next weekend I'm definitely moving up to 2pps on the DLs, and I feel really, really strong - makes me ashamed of my squat at this point.

From a bb standpoint, I'm definitely seeing a significant improvement in my body, and I'm giving all the credit to DLs. I'm going to stick to my cutting diet beginning this week, and then I'll start keeping track of my weight again. :)

Skinny Fat
01-23-2006, 03:50 PM
Rest Day Thoughts

I've renamed the journal; I think it more accurately reflects my changing goals. I'm still cutting, but I'm going to cut in a way that if I feel like the reduced calories are impacting my lifts too much, I'll bring them back up. The cut isn't as important as getting stronger and developing my body.

My ultimate goal at this point is to be lean & mean when it starts getting warm out - I'm going to switch to a CrossFit/lifting/running blend throughout the summer to build endurance, muscle balance, and form. I figure May through September is the perfect time to be running 5 and 10Ks, trail runs, maybe even a sprint-distance triathlon; also, it'll be perfect for long, outdoor calisthenic workouts and sunbathing. Then, September 1 will be the beginning of Powerful MoFo time - I'll do a month of clean bulking and full-body 5x5 workouts to get myself ready, and then it's straight into Westside for me. October 1 through May 1 I'll be eating every piece of meat I see, and lifting heavy objects as much as possible.

On a completely unrelated note, it's been a full week now since I was lucky to keep my job. My company (that I've been working for 6 months now) went through a painful round of layoffs, and my department was cut from 6 down to 2 people. I'm still reeling a little bit, and feeling very lucky to have kept my job; and, of course, I'm doing the job of four people right now. It's been quite an experience - I'm exhausted by the end of the day.

Well, so far so good on the journal - it's really pushed me to go to the gym for each and every workout, even the ones that I've had to cut short. I'm seeing great gains in my deads and bench, and I can feel those squats around the corner. My body is feeling the difference, and I'm starting to see the difference. Wish me luck as I go into week four!

Skinny Fat
01-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Benchmarks - Jan. 22

BB Bench Press: 155 is a relatively easy 5x5
BB Squat: 135 is a relatively easy 5x5
BB Dead: 185 is a relatively easy 5x5
BW Pull-up: BW a relatively easy 3x5

imageD
01-23-2006, 04:17 PM
good work!

Skinny Fat
01-24-2006, 09:04 AM
Day Two Jan. 24

BB Bench:
135x12
135x16

Pull-ups -25 assist:
12, 8

Dips -25 assist:
12, 10

Seated Rows:
115x10x2

DB Shoulder Press:
35x12x2

DB Hammer Curl:
25x12x2

BB Close-Grip:
60x12x2

Forearm Twisters:
20lb x2

Weighted Crunches:
45x10x2

BB Squats:
95x18

Notes: Basically, I was trying for a high-rep day, and I think I did pretty well. I brought down my bench weight by 20 lbs, and my squat weight by 40 lbs, and just tried to wear myself out today. I think my squat problems are going to be solved by just doing it a lot, meaning high-rep low-weight squats like today, heavy box squats like what I'll do Thursday, and just plenty of focus. My upper body feels strong, and I feel like the weighted crunches are really working to build my abs. I skipped my weighted back extensions on accident today.

Skinny Fat
01-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Day Three Jan. 27

I was in a rush today...

BB Box Squat:
155x5x2

BB Bench:
135x12, 15

BB SLDL:
135x15x2

BW Pull-up:
10, 7

BB Squats:
115x12

Notes: 1) Obviously I canned a good portion of the workout in favor of getting to work on time. 2) I'm trying to mix up my 'Day Three' routine with both higher and lower weight than my 5x5 exercise. I'm hoping I'll simultaneously build up strength and endurance in my squats so that it'll get over the hump and beat my bench. I felt fantastic with the SLDLs - I think I'm ready to get really serious on my next 5x5 day.

This weekend - going to see the gf's parents. 'Day One' to be done on Monday.

Skinny Fat
01-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Day One Jan. 29

BB Bench
135x5
155x5
165x5x3

BB Squat
135x5x5

BW Pull-up
5x4
5 'half reps'

BB DL
185x5x5

Notes:
- Great bench day. I felt strong throughout, and I'll be moving up to 165x5x5 next week, then push the weight even further.

- Much improved squat day. I've realized part of what set me back before - I was watching my form in the mirror too much, and not focusing. I did a full five sets where I focused on keeping my head up, not thinking about it, and just pushing that ****ing weight UP. I'll warm up with 135 next week, then push it to 145 for the next four sets.

- BW pull-ups are not progressing, really. I've got to focus on doing more of those and more lat pulldowns during the week; also, I think I'm going to start putting a plate on a belt to increase my strength during the week, so I can go back down to BW on my 5x5 day and maybe get all my reps.

- DL was strong, as I was expecting. Really the only thing holding me back was a slipping grip on sets 2 and 4; I've been alternating my hands between sets on the cross grip, and sets 2 and 4 had my left hand out and right hand in. I've just got to focus more on holding onto the weight so that I can get those last two reps in. I'll warm up with 185 next week, and do 4 sets at 195. (BW DL x5x4 - that's a milestone)

- I'm feeling big and strong, and I'm leaning out, although by checking my weight today, I don't think I've really been losing at all. This week is the beginning of a serious, slow cut, and I'll see if I can stick to it. Really, as long as I get stronger, I don't give a ****.

Good day.

deeder
01-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Looking pretty decent man. Next week don't doubt yourself for a second, nail that f****** 5x5 at 165! Keep the hard work coming on the squats but don't let your form slip!

Skinny Fat
01-31-2006, 02:17 PM
Unscheduled Rest Day

Tuesdays are my usual Day Two, but I was really busy this morning, including the company blood drive. Besides that, my lower back, butt, and thighs are all still stiff from Sunday - so tomorrow's the new Day Two, and Friday will be Day Three. No biggie, I've got plenty of flexibility with my schedule.

deeder - thanks for the encouragement, man. I hear ya on trusting myself on the bench; I've been starting my 5x5 day with the bench, and I never feel like I'm really all the way warmed up when I start the bench. I'm thinking of rotating the exercises - after my warm up this week, it'll be pull-ups, deads, bench, and squats for the rotation. And don't you worry about my form - it's not that I needed particularly to watch the mirror for my form, because I can really feel it when it's right now, but I just got used to watching myself as I squatted, and that kept me from focusing on getting that f******* weight UP. No such problems this week!

Skinny Fat
02-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Day Two Feb. 1

BB Bench:
135x12, 18

Seated Row:
115x12x2

Skullcrushers/Close-grip Bench:
70x10/10x2

DB Hammer Curls:
30x12x2

DB Shoulder Press:
35x12x2

BW Pull-up:
Standard x8
Extra Wide/Extra Slow x4
Standard x5

Weighted Crunches:
45lb x10x2

Weighted Back Ext:
25lb x10x2

Slow BB Box Squat:
95x10x2

Notes: I was feeling a little woozy towards the end; I think donating blood yesterday is still taking a little of my higher-end energy out of me. Decent workout, though, but I really need to remember that I NEED to eat before the lifts. This Sunday I am going to absolutely ROCK those 5x5s.

Skinny Fat
02-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Day Three Feb. 3

BB Bench:
135x12, 15

BW Pull-up:
12, 7

BB Deadlift:
135x15x2

BB Squat:
95x15x2

BB SLDL:
135x10x2

DB Walking Lunges:
35x length of floor x2

DB Calf Raises:
60x15x2

Leg Extensions:
100x12

Notes: Not a bad day. I think I need to up the weight on at least one of these exercises, so that I get a little more resistance. I'm overcompensating when I bring the weight down for reps.

KevinStarke
02-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Solid workout man

Mik
02-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Nice work skinny. m I missing something? You seemed to be doing 5x5 then I see higher rep work?????

Skinny Fat
02-03-2006, 10:11 AM
My plan (completely random, possibly fundamentally flawed) is to do 5x5 on the Big 3 every Sunday, then do higher rep / assistance work in the other two workouts. It's something I'm trying - I may go 5x5 for each workout in the near future, though... yet to be determined. It's been a good first month.

Skinny Fat
02-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Day One Feb. 5

BB Bench
165x5x5

BB DL
185x5
205x4x5

BW Pull-up
4x5

BB Squat
135x2x5
145x3x5

Notes: Pretty good day. The 165 on bench was almost too easy - I wobbled a little on the third set, but refocused and finished strong. The deadlift - I realized as I was driving home that I moved up 20 lbs, not 10. Whoops. :) I moved from 45 + 25 to 45 + 35, skipping the extra five on each side that should have been my next move. Nice that I pulled that with little problem, although I could definitely feel the burn. I need to remember to warm up a little more for deads, because the third set was definitely when I started hitting my stride, and I don't want to hurt myself on sets one or two. The squats were exhausting - note to self, always do squats before deads. I always have enough strength left over to dead after squats, but not really vice versa.

Not bad to set a PR by that much on accident. :)

Skinny Fat
02-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Rest Day Notes

Feeling pretty good; the majority of my DOMS is in my lower back (not bad at all) and my traps/shoulders/lats (basically anything that involves pulling my shoulders). My chest just feels strong, same with my legs. My diet's been crap so far today - I really need to go buy a chicken and eat it right now. Luckily yesterday was a great diet day. Anyway, I should be good to go for tomorrow's workout.

Mik
02-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Gotta love when you miscalculate and end up lifting more than you thought. Nice work.

Skinny Fat
02-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Day Two Feb. 8
Goal: upper-body centric, with one or two lower-body assistance exercises.

BB Bench:
145x3x10

T-Bar Row:
90x10
160x 10, 8

Standing Mil. Press:
70x3x10

BW Pull-up:
9, 6, 3

BB Curl:
60x3x10

Skullcrushers/Close-grip:
70x3x10/10

Forearm Twists:
20x2

Weighted Crunches:
45x2x10

Weighted Back Ext:
25x2x10

Leg Press:
180x10
270x10
360x10

Notes: Not a bad day; we had a company meeting first thing this morning, and I work till 8 pm, so I took 3 hours around lunch to go eat and lift. I was a little overfull, which hurt my lifts, but not that much. Benches felt good, it was good to increase the weight for those reps. T-bar rows I was just messing around with - I think I'm settling on about 120-140 next week for three sets of 10. Pull-ups are the bain of my existence. They're stronger one day, weaker the next. They're impossible to improve. I feel completely in control of my weight, but the muscles just stop pulling once they reach a certain point. Leg press I wanted to give a go to, since it would focus on just the pushing part of the squat. I think I'll do working sets at around 300 lbs from here on out, and try to increase the weight significantly - see if that affects my squat at all.

I can't wait to squat and pull on Friday. It's all I'm thinking about right now.

Skinny Fat
02-15-2006, 09:24 AM
Day One Feb. 15

BB Squat:
135x3x5
145x2x5

BB Bench:
165x3x5
175x5
175x4

Deadlift:
185x2x5
205x3x5

Notes:
1) Obviously, I took a little unscheduled break there. It's been a week since my last lift, and I'd like to be able to say I 'took an off week to rest my muscles', but they really didn't need it all that much, and I didn't eat particularly well during my downtime. No excuses, just me being too busy/too lazy.

2) Bench presses felt pretty good, but I'm debating the the benefits of doing the heavier weight earlier in the sets, then decreasing so that I'm not so tired while I'm trying to push heavy.

3) Squats are very slowly coming up; it's crazy how much more focused I can stay while I'm benching than when I'm squatting. There's something about that move that I just can't stay focused and confident about. I'll just keep hammering away at it and see what happens.

4) Deads felt extremely strong, as always. I love dl'ing.

5) You'll probably notice I didn't do any pull-ups in there; by the time I got done benching, my right arm was throbbing, and I couldn't force myself to do more than 2 reps of pull-ups. So, anyway, I got out of there.

Not a bad day, and it's crazy how having some knowledge will mess with your head. For instance, I'd normally be proud as hell about benching heavier and heavier, but right now all I'm thinking about is how much faster my bench is going up than my squat, and it makes me feel like a complete failure as a serious lifter. Not that bad, but you get my drift. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep trying to lift more with every lift, and give my squat a little extra TLC, and quit worrying about it so much.

Skinny Fat
02-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Day Two Feb. 17

It's my birthday. Woo, time to change the sig.

BB Bench:
145x10, 14

T-Bar rows:
140x2x12

Standing Mil. Press:
70x3x12

BW Pull-ups:
30 total - 9, 6, 6, 4, 2, 3, I think is how it broke down.

Skullcrushers:
70x3x14

BB Curl:
70x3x10

Forearms:
20x2
10x1

Weighted Crunches:
45x2x10

Weighted Back Ext:
45x2x10

Leg Press:
270x10
360x2x10

Notes: I didn't really have great focus today; my numbers were all strong, and I'm focused on upping the total reps on pull-ups until I hit 50 or so, then up the weight, and see how that works. I'm going to start leg pressing once a week just to get my quads in shape - I think I can move up to 450 next week with little problem. It's weird how much more powerful you can be when you're just sitting there pushing something, rather than slinging something heavy on your back and dealing with it. Sunday is back to the 5x5 day, and I'm going to try to PR everything. The plan is: wake up nice and early (7ish), have a big breakfast, warm up strong, and then start with 175 on bench, 145 on squat, and 205 on DL. I'm going to have my head screwed on straight, and I'm going to get those damn 5x5s.

Wish me luck that the squats don't kill me. :)

Skinny Fat
02-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Rest Day Notes

I can't sleep waiting for the gym tomorrow; I'm pumped to go in there strong and lift some heavy weight. I'm looking to set PRs on the 5x5 in all three lifts, and I know I can do it. As added motivation, I'll leave it with this: I was helping my girlfriend clean up around her apartment this afternoon, and afterward she went to hug me. In mid-hug, she decided to be playful and tickle me. Now, keep in mind, she's been feeling my swelling pecs and bulging biceps as I've developed the last month and a half; the fruits of my labors are not new to her. So anyway, she goes to tickle my midsection, gets rock-hard abdominal and back muscles under her fingers, and says:

"God, you're getting so hard."

:nod: Oh yeah, I am.

I'm going to squat like a mfer tomorrow.

Skinny Fat
02-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Day One Feb. 19

BB Bench:
175x3x5
175x3
175x5

BW Pull-up:
35 reps: 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3

BB Squat:
145x5x5

BB Deadlift:
205x5x5

Notes: I am absolutely rocked. And it feels awesome. The bench felt strong for the first three sets, and on the fourth set I got a little wobbly. Since I don't have a spotter, I racked the bar after the third rep, but I refocused and got the five on the last set. As I racked the bar after the fifth set, I actually doubted myself - I think I could've gotten another rep or three at that strength and focus.

My squats were great - I was right that I just wasn't focused enough for squats, because 145 went up all 25 reps without a flaw in my technique. It was a grind, but I didn't break the movement at all.

The deads were harder than i expected, more than likely because of the squats, but I still got all 25 without problem.

Damn, I feel great. :)

Skinny Fat
02-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Rest Day Thoughts

Here's a possible new workout schedule for the year - I'm sort of thinking it out in my head:

Sunday, March 5: test 1 RM on the bench
Tuesday, March 7: test 1 RM on squat
Thursday, March 9: test 1 RM on DL

Continue current workout scheme.

May 1: Begin CrossFit blended workouts (as described below)

Sunday: Rest
Monday: Big 4 Day (Bench, Squat, DL, weighted Pull-up)
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: XFit exercise of my choice
Thursday: XFit exercise of my choice
Friday: XFit exercise of my choice
Saturday: Trail run or race day (5k, 10k, 5 Miler)

Oct. 1: Begin eating in surplus ~500 calories a day, begin four-day generic split (TBD)

Nov. 1: Begin strict PL routine (TBD)

I think that should carry me through the winter very nicely; by the end of summer I'll be a lean, mean bastard, and hopefully a once-a-week Big 4 plus whatever lifting XFit gives me will make me tough as leather. I'll be ready to up the calories and pick up some heavy s***.

Skinny Fat
02-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Day Two Feb. 21

DB Decline Bench:
45x12
55x2x10

BW Pull-ups:
40 reps: 8, 8, 8, 5, 5, 4, 2

Standing Mil. Press:
80x3x10

T-Bar rows:
140x3x10

Skullcrushers:
80x3x10

BB Curls:
80x2x10
80x5

Forearm Twisters:
20x3

Weighted Crunches:
45x3x10

Weighted Back Extensions:
45x3x10

Leg Press:
360x10
450x2x10

DB Walking Lunges:
25x 3 laps

Notes: Feeling really good today - I pushed almost everything up slightly and feel like a million bucks. Nothing beyond that to report!

Skinny Fat
02-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Sunday, Feb. 26

BB Bench:
135x8
175x5
185x2
195x3x2

BB Squat:
135x5
145x5
155x3
175x3x2

BW Pull-up: 50 reps

Notes: I'm planning on finding my 1RMs next week, so I wanted to lift a little heavier, a little lower reps this weekend so that I'm not completely surprised next week. I've been lifting without a spotter till now, and I'm training and enlisting my girlfriend next week so I don't get crushed going for the 1 RM on the bench. With both the bench and the squat, I could have gotten more reps for the individual set, so I did another set to compensate. Since I needed all my energy and concentration for the bench and squat, I eliminated the DL from my day. I'll DL heavy Tuesday and both squat and DL on Thursday. Then, it's bench max day Sunday, squat max day next Tuesday, and DL max day next Friday. I'm hoping to hit 225 on the bench, 205-215 on the squat, and 315 on deads. Maybe a little optomistic, but I'm gonna see what happens.

Skinny Fat
02-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Tuesday, Feb. 28

BB Bench:
135x10
155x8
175x6

BW Pull-ups:
45 reps

OH Press:
95x10
105x8
115x6

BO Row:
95x10
105x8
115x8

Weighted Crunches:
45x2x10

Notes: I had a 'gastrointestinal' problem this morning, so I spent almost as much time on the crapper as I did lifting. I really couldn't focus much on the weight, so I was happy to lift a couple things and get out of there. I really was in no condition to DL.

Skinny Fat
03-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Max Bench Mar. 5

BB Bench:
135x5
155x3
175x2
185x1
195x1
205 - fail
205x1 (pr!)
155x2x5

Box Squat:
115x3x8

BW Pull-up:
50 reps

SLDL:
135x3x8

BO Row:
115x3x8

OH Press:
115x3x6

Notes: Man, do I feel great. I have a feeling my max bench at this point is probably 215, because the second 205 went up pretty easily - but my arms were toast after that. I'll need to have a better warm-up scheme the next time, but it's really not a big deal to max out any time soon. Tuesday is Max Squat day, and Friday is Max DL day... I'm excited to push myself this week. Life is pretty good!

Skinny Fat
03-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Max Squat Day Mar. 7

BB Squat:
45x5
135x3
155x1
175x1
195x1
205x1 (pr)
215x1 (pr)
225x1 (pr!)
155x3
135x10

BW Pull-up:
3x10

BO Row:
115x3x10

SLDL
135x2x8

OH Press:
115x3x6

DB Bench:
55x3x8

Weighted Crunches:
45x2x10

Weighted Back Extensions:
45x2x10

Notes: For one rep, I'm strong. For reps, I've got nothin'. Well, let me rephrase that. I'm not 'strong', I'm just stronger than my reps say I am - I mean, I can bench 205x1, and rep 175x5x5, but I can squat 225x1, but only squat 145x5x5. I need to look into routines that build squat endurance, since that's what's holding me back right now.

All in all, it was a nice morning in the gym. I stayed focused and picked up a nice amount of weight for where I am right now. I'm very happy with the way things went.

Skinny Fat
03-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Max Deadlift Day Mar. 9

Deadlifts
135x3
185x1
205x1
245x1 (pr)
275x1 (pr)
295x1 (pr!)
315x 6 inches, you greedy bastard! failure.
305x 4 inches, greedy bastard.
275x1
225x1
225x1 (y'know, just so I made sure I couldn't walk tomorrow)

BB Bench
135x2x10

BW Pull-ups
2x10

BB Front Squat
barx2x10

BW Dips
2x10

Notes: I am rocked. I'm still getting the feel for warmups to max, so I'm sure I could've gotten a little more out of my dead today; but still, 295 is nothing to sneeze at. If I had gone straight to 305, I probably would have gotten it. I'm feeling pretty good for a guy who won't be able to walk normal tomorrow. :) I just threw the rest of it in there to get a full-body day. Woo-hoo... time to update the sig again.

Max Bench 205
Max Squat 225
Max Dead 295

Total 725 lbs

Skinny Fat
03-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Rest Day

All in all, not too bad. There's a subtle ache in every muscle from my ass to my traps, but I was expecting way worse. I'm pretty happy with my total being over 700 - it's only a third of what really strong guys lift, but pretty cool for somebody just starting on their powerlifts. I'm not at all intimidated by what I think my ultimate powerlifting goals will be - 315 bench, 350 squat, and 500 dead.

So I'm talking to my dad this morning on the phone:
Dad: So, how did the workout go last night?
Me: Not bad - I pulled 295, could have probably gotten 305 if I had done it better.
Dad: Yeah, not bad. . . . . of course, when I was 25, I pulled 550, but that's not bad.
Me: Thanks, Dad.

:)

Coke
03-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Nice progress, props on pulling off pr's with your squats, deads, and also your bench where 2pps is next - ;)

Skinny Fat
03-11-2006, 07:08 PM
High Volume Day Mar. 11

Bastardized XFit warm-up:
Pull-ups 4x15
OH BW Squat 4x15
Weighted Back Extensions 25lb 4x15
Weighted Crunches 25lb 4x15
Push-ups 4x15

XFit WOD (half, at least):
Bench Press 95x25
Run 250m

5 rounds - 21 minutes

Random Movements:
Front Squats
45x2x15
95x2x15
115x2x15

Bent-over Rows:
95x4x15

Walking Lunges:
30lb DBs x 10 laps

Notes: The XFit WOD was actually 10 rounds; the run was no big deal, but 25 reps on the bench was brutal after two rounds. 3, 4, and 5 were broken up a lot. After a full week of high weight, low reps, I wanted to really beat myself up. My endurance is for sh*t, let me tell ya. I'm going to keep up the high reps this week, and maybe next week, before I go back to the heavy weights.

Coke - thanks for the props. 2pps is a big milestone for me - as a football fan, I'd like to see how many reps I can work up to at 225. I'm still not pushing any significant amount of weight, but at least I'm constantly working. Maybe by the time I hit 30 I'll be pushing numbers I can really be proud of.

clvmike19
03-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Lunges are t3h b0mB!

Keep at it...my shoulder would snap at 205.

Coke
03-13-2006, 05:49 AM
We Ohio bros must stick together, lol - where are you at??...I'm in Toledo.

Awesome high volume work, the 10 laps with db lunges look treacherous bro.

Skinny Fat
03-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Coke, Mike: Thanks for poking your heads in. It was starting to get a little lonely. ;) A couple of notes:

- the 10 laps are laps of the aerobics room at my gym, not any sort of track. :) Still f'n brutal!

- Coke, I'm in Columbus - my girlfriend's in grad school here at OSU. I'm just a workin' stiff.

- Mike, I was exactly at the weights you're doing not very long ago, trust me. You'll catch me before the summer, guaranteed. Well, hopefully I'll be doing 2 pps by then, so you'll have a new goal!

The high-volume stuff was definitely what the doctor ordered. I'm going to focus on that for about two weeks, I think, and then go back to my standard 5x5. I'm considering throwing in a high-volume week once a month, just to build & keep endurance up. Squats especially, because my endurance is actually keeping me from advancing at 5x5s. Another rest day today - Tuesday I hit it hard!

clvmike19
03-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Just keep improving yourself...2pps is a great feeling!

O-H-I-O!

I have the Buckeyes in the Final vs Duke....for now...I may have to edit the bracket.

Skinny Fat
03-14-2006, 08:24 AM
'nother High Volume Day Mar. 14

BB Bench
95x20
135x3x10
135x2x8

BW Pull-ups
1-2-3-4-5-4
1-2-3-4-3
1-2-3-4-4
1-2-3-4-2
1-2-3-4-4
72 reps, unless the math is wrong.

BB Squat
95x3x20
115x2x15
135x2x8

Notes: I didn't have a lot of time today, and I wanted to push through the burning feeling as much as possible. I stuck with three moves, and real light weights, and just did as many reps as I possibly could. I feel pretty good; I know I'm not getting any stronger with these, but I really need this right now. I feel good! (I've decided to move up the timetable on going back to heavy weights - next Monday I'm going to push those 5x5s again, this time with more exercises: Bench, OH Press, Pull-up, BO Rows, Squats, and Deads. I'll finish off with a long set of lunges, and then die.) :)

clvmike19
03-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Pretty unique pullups....Ive never seen that...keep it going

Skinny Fat
03-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Pretty unique pullups....Ive never seen that...keep it going

I think they call it the 'ladder' approach - just another way to stay focused on improving. It's nice because you always feel like - alright, I get to do my 1-rep set now.... I get to do my 2-rep set... and those are real easy. Then you try to push it as high as it will go, and start over. Before you know it, you've done an obscene number of pull-ups, without even realizing it.

Coke
03-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Your pull-ups were obscene no doubt and plain outrageous...if I'm not mistaken, I don't recall seeing anything like them at all since I've been here. Props on this effort including the bench press and squats.

Skinny Fat
03-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, guys! The ladder thing is good for keeping me focused, no doubt, but for comparison's sake, here's what I'm working for (stolen from Anthony's journal):

Chinups BW x 23, 15, 12, 11, 15 = 76 (+7 reps)

So 72 broken into 26 sets isn't that interesting. :)

Skinny Fat
03-17-2006, 08:06 AM
Last Volume Day Mar. 17

Happy St. Patty's Day!

DB Bench
60x4x15

DB Rows
60x4x12

Front Squats
95x4x20

BW Pull-ups
30 reps

OH Press
75x4x15

Notes: Eh. I didn't really push myself or do anything interesting; I was pushed for time and stressed because the future in-laws are coming to town. Basically, I wanted to be sure to go to the gym and do something this morning, so I did it. Real lifting starts back Monday morning!

Coke
03-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Nice upper body day, did everything except arms during the session...super reps throughout, crazy job on the pullups.

deeder
03-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Was that 30reps for pullups all at once?!? Or broken down like the last workout?

Either way, keep hitting it hard man! Put some weight on those pullups!

Skinny Fat
03-20-2006, 08:29 PM
5x5 Day Mar. 20

BB Bench
135x5
155x2x5
175x2x5

BB Squat
135x5
155x2x5
165x2x5

OH Press
105x5x5

Pull-up
BWx5
BW+10x5
BW+15x2x3
BW+15x2

Deadlift
225x3
245x3
255x3

BO Rows
135x3x5

Notes: I was in different mindsets for each of the different lifts, and I think it worked out alright for me. I started with squats, and did my first 5 with 135, and decided, 'you know what? no more excuses. up the weight!'. So I pushed the weight higher and just did the rest of the 5x5. And it felt gooood. OH Press went very well, and then I decided to DL. I'm going to lower the reps and up the weight - and each of the sets was actually 3 singles. I've found that 3 reps is a good number so that my form stays strong throughout. And this way I lift heavier... next time, I'm upping the last set to 265x3, and then I'll up the weight throughout. After squatting and deading, I didn't really feel up to pushing my bench, so I used a little lighter weight and just got back into the groove.

Coke, Deeds, y'all should be happy about the added weight to the pull-ups - I think if I really hit it right next time, I should be able to push for a decent 5x5 with a 15 between my ankles.

All in all, it was good to lift heavy again today. I felt strong, and I think my squat and deadlift plans are going to do great for me. Squat I'm pushing to at least 155 5x5 next time, and I should have my bench all the way back to normal, too.

Coke
03-21-2006, 05:53 AM
Nice job bro, gonna pull up an added 25lbs soon here...good workout, the lower reps are the way to go on deads.

Skinny Fat
03-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Upper Body Day Mar. 23

BB Bench
155x5
175x4x5

Standing OH Press
115x3x8

Pull-up
BW+15x5
BW+15x4
BW+10x4
BW+10x2
BWx6

Bent-over Rows
120x3x8

Curls
30x3x8

Skullcrushers
80x3x8

Notes: Since the soreness in my thighs is still keeping me from focusing on any movement, I decided to make today an upper body day and tomorrow a lower day. Weighted pull-ups were fun; I burnt out pretty quick, though, as you can see. Sunday I'll go for 185 5x5 on the bench, and try to get +15 for a full 5x5 on pull-ups.

Fun!

Coke
03-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Benching every three days is too soon imo no matter what program. I might be wrong on this but hitting anything that quick may only benefit a newbie which you don't appear to be. Either way keep on with it, the session does look nice.

Skinny Fat
03-23-2006, 10:54 AM
I gave that quite a bit of thought today, actually. I've been basically doing a full-body 3x a week, and I think I am ready to swap it for a split of some kind. As it sits right now, I won't bench again until Sunday, then once next week. It's been working, but I think you're right in that it'll ultimately burn me out. Thanks for the advice and the encouragement, Coke. I'm not a noob, but I definitely have a lot to learn!

Skinny Fat
03-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Lower Body / Core Mar. 24

Squat
135x5
155x5x5

Deadlift
225x3
245x1
265x1
275x1
225x3

Standing calf raises (/static DB hold)
110x2x10

Shrugs
135x2x10

Weighted lunges
30x 2 laps

Weighted crunches
45x3x10

Weighted back extensions
25x3x10

Notes: I felt good on the increased squat 5x5 - I'm moving up to 165 without a second thought. I just didn't feel like I had anything in me for deadlifts, so I pulled a couple of reasonable singles and left that alone. I figure it's better to walk away from it than walk away with a wrenched back. Everything else was OK. I don't think I ate enough this morning, because I had enough in me to squat, but nothing left after that.

clvmike19
03-24-2006, 08:22 AM
Nice deads man. Get yourself a good split and youll see gains/changes soon enough. I wish I could do some deads...but Ill play the lazy/injured card for now. :D

Coke
03-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Fine effort man, I don't think anybody has got much left in the tank after doing squats.

Skinny Fat
03-24-2006, 10:36 AM
You know what? Sunday starts Baby Got Back:

Sunday (horizontal push/pull):
Bent over rows (5x5)
Bench (5x5)
Cable Rows
Weighted Dips

Monday (quad leg day):
Squat (5x5)
Light SLDL
Leg Press

Wednesday (vertical push/pull):
Weighted pull-ups (5x5)
Military Press (5x5)
High rows
Lat raises

Friday (Hamstring legs):
Heavy Deadlifts (3x3)
Walking lunges
Light GMs

How does it look? I'll throw in some curls, skullcrushers, forearm twists, shrugs, calf raises, weighted crunches, and back extensions when I feel like it, and I think the setup looks good. I'll stick with the 5x5 biggies and 3x8 complimentary scheme...

Rex
03-24-2006, 06:33 PM
The routine looks good man. If you hit the main movements hard and heavy you might not even want (or need) to mess around with the supplemental stuff like calf raises, curls and ab work.

The 5x5 squats look good. Don't be in such a rush with those, but if you add five pounds each week and get your 5x5 before you know it you'll be +100 pounds from your current level.

Skinny Fat
03-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Horizontal Day Mar. 26

Bench
175x5x5

Bent over Rows
115x5
125x5
135x3x5

BW Dips
8, 6, 5

Seated Rows
135x8
145x8, 6

Notes: And OUT. I felt pretty strong; I'll be pushing 180 in the bench next week. Bent rows I felt it out a bit, so I'll be shooting for 135 next week. Tomorrow is squat day, and I'm hammering out my carb cycling diet for the next month. Starts either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Rex - thanks for the good words. Today I definitely didn't feel like throwing in any supplemental stuff, and I'm definitely not rushing it. I'll see how it feels through this week before adding anything to the routine. I'm trying not to rush the squats, but I was stuck in such a rut the past couple months, that I feel like if I can, I should. I'll probably just add five tomorrow, and go from there.

clvmike19
03-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Ton of strong work in there man. Great benching! Push your self a little bit each week and it adds up...

Coke
03-27-2006, 04:33 AM
The horizontal/vertical plan gives a nice twist to the deal man, good job overall.

Skinny Fat
03-28-2006, 08:08 AM
Quad Leg Day Mar. 28

BB Squat
155x5
165x4x5

SLDL
135x8
155x2x8

Leg Press
360x3x8

Notes: Squatting felt pretty strong, although I'm getting a twinge in my right groin whenever I squat deep and heavy. It's not enough to actually hurt or anything, but on the first rep of any heavy set, it just 'twinges'. I think I need to start aggressively stretching before my squat day.

The SLDL were nice and light; I kept my form very strict and moved the weight quickly. My back was burning pretty good after that, and I really didn't feel like pressing. Didn't have a lot of time overall, but in and out and a strong set of squats ain't bad. Tomorrow morning is vertical day!

Coke: Yeah, it's a nice, logical way of doing the same sort of movements (presses, pulls) twice in a week while working the muscles in a completely different way. And it's also logical to me with the legs - I've been wanting to light dead on squat day and light squat on dead day, but just hadn't made it happen yet.

Mike: It's great, I feel strong. Well, at least on the bench. We'll see what it's like the next time I try to dead 300+.

Rex
03-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Hey nice session man. I'm always impressed with you guys - there's a few of you - that squat heavy and then follow it up with heavy SLDLs all on the same day. You definitely got to be strong to put in that kind of work and intensity.

Squatting has been hurting my groin too. Right leg, but kinda in the front, not the side. If that makes sense. I hope stretching helps, I'll be following along, and may even adopt your stretching routine if it works!

Coke
03-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Those twinges do subside, at least for me they did...good leg day dude, the 4 x 5 squats were ace - nice stiffies too.

Skinny Fat
03-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks, guys... the squats were really no problem - for the past couple months I just had a serious focus/conditioning issue when it came to the squat. Now it seems to want to catch up with my bench, which is great. Nothing more embarassing on a site like this than for your bench to be easily better than your squat. ;) 165 5x5 should be no issue next week, then up from there!

Skinny Fat
03-31-2006, 08:25 AM
Vertical Day Mar. 30

Standing Military Press:
115x4
105x5
105x2x4
105x3
65x16

Pull-ups:
+10x4x5
+10x3
BWx8

DB Lat raise thingies:
15x3x8

Neutral-grip Vertical Row:
170x3x8

Notes: I was just not in the right frame of mind when I walked into the gym last night. I picked up that 115 thinking I'd crank it out and move up to 125, and it just kicked my ass. So I brought down the weight, and it kept kicking my ass. I did the 65x16 to punish myself.

By the time I got to pull-ups, I was already feeling a lot better, and +10 felt great. I'm finally starting to make some progress! The lat raise things were basically 'straight arm out front, down, straight arm out side, down' for a rep. Decent burn, I'm sure very little strength gain. I need to pick a better exercise for my 3x8. The vertical row machine felt great, though... unfortunately, the plates go 20 at a time, so you have to use these little round add-on weights that I'm not sure of the weight. I'll try to figure that out for the next time.

I've been pushing my workouts back 24-36 hours all week; my DL day will be Saturday morning, and then I'll cycle my horizontal push-pull (bench) day in on Sunday. That should be fun. :)

clvmike19
03-31-2006, 08:29 AM
Standing military press?! You're hardcore man. Great work! :D

Coke
04-01-2006, 07:13 AM
You were basically doing supersets between db front raises & db lateral raises...probably should have started out a little lighter on the military presses, they will really kick your butt though no matter what, lol. Sweet pullups bro.

Rex
04-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Strong session man. The pull-ups look great and the millies aren't as far off as you think. 115 for will be old news for you soon enough.

Skinny Fat
04-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Hammy Day April 1

Happy April Fool's!

Deadlift:
245x3
265x3
275x1
275x1
275x1

DB Lunges:
35x3x8

Good Mornings:
45x8
65x8
95x8
115x2x8

Notes: 275 wasn't bad, but it got in my head. After my first pull, I think I got a little intimidated, so I walked away and made it into three quick singles instead of a triple. The lunges were fine, but I think I'm going to mix in some OH and Front Squats in their place. And the Good Mornings - well, I was a little intimidated, but really, it's just like the top of some of my weaker squats, so I'll definitely push the weight up quickly in that one. Overall, not a bad day, and I'll have plenty in the tank for Horizontal Push-Pull tomorrow.

Mike: Yeah, I really like the way standing millies feel. They really make me feel like I'm doing something, instead of seated, which feel a little more isolation-y.

Coke: You're right, an exercise like a standing milly requires a little more respect than just saying - 'ha, I can lift that!' Thanks for the encouragement - I really felt great on the pull-ups.

Rex: Thanks, man! I can't wait for a plate on both sides for that...

Rex
04-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Nice looking session man. Nice deads. The three singles is alright. If you can avoid failure on that movement you'll be okay.

GM's can be a bit dangerous so better to start very light and feel comfortable with the movement than rush it. It's not a race, but you'll have 200 pounds on your back shortly :)

Coke
04-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Ace choice of movements in the mix man, fine workout.

Skinny Fat
04-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Horizontal Push-Pull April 2

BB Bench:
180x5x5

Bent Rows:
135x5x5

BW Dips:
6, 7, 5

Seated Rows:
145x3x8

Notes: Bench continues to be strong - 185 next week. Bent-over rows still feel awkward, as I'm trying to figure out over/underhanded grip, wide/medium/narrow grip, etc, but at least I pulled them strong. I didn't have anything left when I got to the dips, so I was proud of myself for gutting out the mediocre numbers I got. Seated rows were strong - no big news there.

Rex: I hear ya on the caution for my GMs - seriously, that's why I warmed up with the bar, then moved up, moved up, moved up... I'll still be cautious, but I realize my own strength at the same time. They feel good... Thanks for stopping by. :)

Coke: Thanks a lot - it felt strong.

Coke
04-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Got things intact in here dude, anything done with 5 x 5 is nice imo. The bb rows are great once you get them down.

Rex
04-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Sweet bench press man. 180 x 5 x 5 is impressive. Just keep doing the bent over rows and you'll get the hang of it.

Skinny Fat
04-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Quad Day April 5

BB Squat:
165x2x5
175x3x5

Notes: In a related story, I slept in way too much this morning, and only had about 20 minutes to lift. So I went in, warmed up, squatted, and left. I feel pretty bad about it, but since I've pushed everything back as it is, the next two days are vertical day and deadlift day. 175 felt pretty strong, so I'll definitely start my next squat day with that, and see where we go from there. Things are looking very promising for my 5x5 squat to finally overtake my 5x5 bench.

Rex: Thanks, man - it makes me a little bit embarassed around the real lifters that my bench is better than both my row and my squat, but that's what I get for lifting the way I did when I did. It'll even out soon, and then I'll be a beast. :)

Coke: Nice to have somebody so strong in my journal, keeping me honest. Thanks for the encouragement!

Rex
04-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Things are looking very promising for my 5x5 squat to finally overtake my 5x5 bench.

Indeed! Very good progress on the squat as your numbers get stronger and stronger each session. You should be particularly proud of the fact that this session even happened. It would have been very easy for you to have just skipped it alltogether. Props.

Skinny Fat
04-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Vertical Day April 6

Standing Military Press
105x3x5
115x2x5

Pull-ups
+10x5x5

Lateral/Front raise supersetting
15x3x8

Vertical Row Machine (neutral grip lat pull)
195x3x8

Notes: Not particularly pumped up today; I felt good about getting a +10 5x5 on pull-ups, and felt good about hitting a bodyweight 3x8 easy on the lat pulls. Vertical pushing is still tough for me - especially on the last rep, when my arms are awkwardly half-pressed above my head. :)

Tomorrow, deadlift!

Coke
04-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Moving up with the squats is sweet, good vertical work as well man.

deeder
04-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Solid workout bro. 5x5 pullups at 195lbs + 10lbs is pretty sweet!

Rex
04-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Nice millies.

Skinny Fat
04-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Hamstring Day April 9

Deadlift
225x1 Rack Pull (;))
245x3
265x3
275x2
275x1
225x1 Re-rack (;))

OH Squat
45x3x8

Good Morning
135x3x8

Weighted Crunches
+25x3x8

Weighted Back Extensions
+25x3x8

Notes: Well, I'm still not getting 275x3 - I had to grind #2 out, then walk away and get the last one. Disregard the 225 rack pull and re-racking; I'm just being dumb. :) OH Squat was REALLY tough the first two sets, then I finally found the right foot placement and movement to get it done. I couldn't find the broomstick anywhere to warm up, so it was flying by the seat of my pants. Great move, it really worked me. Good Mornings felt good, although I'm not sure I get deep enough (I go as deep as I'm comfortable without falling over, but my back's definitely not parallel)... I was debating squeezing in Horizontal day today, too... after my first set of OH Squats, I knew that wasn't going to happen!

Rex: Thanks. :)

Deeder: I KNOW. I couldn't believe I was getting it done by the third set. Mid-January me would be jumping all over with excitement after those pull-ups.

Cocoa: Muchas gracias. I've always been a slightly overweight, big-powerful-legs kinda guy, so I'm sure I've got plenty of untapped potential. I'm finally getting comfortable with the squats, and I'm moving by leaps and bounds. Now I just have to work on those erectors and hammies. :)

Coke
04-10-2006, 07:29 AM
Cocoa: Muchas gracias. I've always been a slightly overweight, big-powerful-legs kinda guy, so I'm sure I've got plenty of untapped potential.

Must be nice, lol - we all should be so lucky to have genetics like that, big powerful legs are a plus.

Good work on the good mornings and overhead squats, neither of which I've done as yet - hope to throw the good mornings into the mix soon though...Sweet deads there bro, about to have 3pps soon.

Rex
04-10-2006, 08:53 AM
lol OH Squats are so much tougher than the numbers look! For most movements 45 pound is less than a warm-up. For OH Squats... it's hard work lol. Take them rock bottom atf... Great session.

Skinny Fat
04-10-2006, 09:16 AM
Coke: Thanks, man! Not to say that I had powerful powerful legs, but I could definitely move my overweight ass around, and I've got a lot more potential strength there than in my bench. I'm hoping that 3pps is around the corner, but I really can't see it at this point. I'm feeling really weak in the deads these days, because I see a bunch of guys who don't bench nearly what I do pulling much bigger numbers in the journals around here.

Rex: Speaking of guys making me feel bad about my deads. ;) It's great inspiration to read what everybody's doing, and to get encouragement from guys who are pushing as hard (or harder) than I am. OH Squats are a tough move - I definitely need to find the broom handle next week before I start them up. It took me three sets just to find out what I needed to be doing with my body! I was reading an article by Dan John the other day that talked about an Olympic coach who ordered all his students to work until they could OH Squat their bodyweight for reps. That's just hardcore. Can you imagine the kind of strength that takes?!

Thanks for keeping up with my work, guys. It's cool to get some encouragement for busting my ass. :)

thejuice
04-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Those are some great numbers you're throwing up--I looked at your first page and you've made incredible progress these past few months! I'm going to have to try those OH squats on for size. And don't worry, from your progress, your "weakness" (like you could call it that!) in the deads will be history before you know it...

Skinny Fat
04-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks, man! I've been sick the past few days, and unable (unwilling?) to drag my ass to the gym. I'm feeling better today, though, and encouragement like this should be enough to get my ass in gear and throw some weight in the air.

:strong:

Skinny Fat
04-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Recovery Day April 13

Bench:
135x8
185x2x5

BW Pull-ups:
3x5

Deadlift (supersetted with Shrugs):
135x3x5

Hang Clean - Front Squat - Push Press - OH Squat work:
45x3x5

Jogging:
2x 5 min.

Notes: I still feel miserable from 6 pm to 10 am every day, but it really clears up during my peak hours. I was able to get to the gym, and sweated a little. The hang clean - front squat, etc. stuff works like this: one hang clean, one front squat, one push press, one overhead squat = 1 rep. I really didn't push myself all that much, and from what I could tell my strength was there, but none of my endurance. I could get sets of 5 on my bench, but I couldn't have focused for a full 5x5. I just wanted to get into the gym and do something. So I did. I'll get back to real work next week... the future in-laws are in town for the weekend, so I'm not really going to get a lot of lifting in.

Rex
04-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Hang Clean - Front Squat - Push Press - OH Squat work:
45x3x5

:omg: Wow, that's pretty cool stuff. Nice session overall. The key thing is to do it, no matter how it gets done. ;)

Coke
04-14-2006, 03:32 AM
The workout effort looks nice man. Have a good time this weekend with wifey to be and her folks - ;)

Skinny Fat
04-18-2006, 09:05 AM
The Changeover

Well, as should be obvious by now, I've been sick for the past week or so, and I haven't been able (willing) to get to the gym. My plan for the year had always included changing from this split to a Crossfit-centered program on May 1. I decided that since I'd only be lifting for an additional two weeks if I started back now, and that since I'd be recovering strength for those two weeks and not setting any new PRs, I might as well switch early.

April 18 - September 1, 2006
Crossfit-centric program

Sunday: Heavy lifting day
Monday: OFF
Tuesday: WOD
Wednesday: WOD
Thursday: WOD
Friday: OFF
Saturday: Race, other cardio, or Crossfit-centric workout day

These will be further fleshed out in future posts.

Skinny Fat
04-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Saturday April 15

Race Day: Sharon Woods 10K Trail Run
Results: 1:30:30 (14:37 pace)

Notes: Well, obviously I ran/walked this with a fair amount of congestion and illness-weakness. Still, for a trail run, not a bad result. I ran maybe 35-40% of the race, and worked up a good sweat.

Skinny Fat
04-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Tuesday April 18

First Date with Cindy
5 pull-ups / 10 push-ups / 15 BW squats
20 minutes, for # of rounds

10 rounds

Notes: Again, being congested and a little weak is no good, because after three rounds, my muscles weren't particularly tired, but I couldn't catch my breath. I had to slow down several times, walk away just to catch my breath, etc. Ten rounds isn't bad for my first go around, and it'll be great to set a new PR the next time I hit on Cindy.

Tomorrow: Diane!

Coke
04-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Props for participating in the 10k run after being down all week...good rounds with Cindy too, nice switch up.

Skinny Fat
04-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Thanks, Coke. I hope you won't be disappointed in me this summer while I'm XFitting it up.

Sunday Randomized Weight Program
Exercise 1: Dumbbell Bench / Weighted Dips
Exercise 2: OH Press / Push Press
Exercise 3: Bent-over Rows / T-Bar Rows
Exercise 4: Weighted Pull-ups / High-Volume BW Pull-ups
Exercise 5: Front Squat / Back Squat / OH Squat
Exercise 6: Clean / Deadlift / Clean + Press / SLDL / Clean + Jerk
Exercise 7: Hang Cleans / Power Cleans / Shrugs
Exercise 8: Farmer's Walk / Walking Lunges

Roll a die for each exercise set - i.e. odds will make me bench, while evens will make me do dips. I got the idea from a Dan John article.

Skinny Fat
04-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Diane with Weak Shoulders April 19

Diane is prescribed as 225lb DL supersetted with Handstand Push-ups in a 21-15-9 rep breakdown - you deadlift 21 reps, then do the HSPU 21 reps, then back to the deadlift for 15... you get the picture. The score is the time spent to complete the exercise. I tried one HSPU and realized I couldn't do it - so I modified it as listed below:

21 reps 225 DL (4-3-4-3-4-3)
7 HSPU negatives + 7 Push-ups
15 reps DL (4-4-4-3)
8 HSPU negatives + 8 Push-ups
9 reps DL (3-3-3)
5 HSPU negatives + 5 Push-ups
4 HSPU negatives + 4 Push-ups

Time: 52 min

Notes: Moving from 21 reps on DL to doing a handstand does weird things to your head. :) I'm very happy that I finished this with little heartache; obviously, I can't do a HSPU yet, but the deadlifts + other assorted exercise didn't kill me. I was a little worried after my first 4-rep mini-set on DL, because it felt kind of heavy, but it got lighter as the workout progressed. I feel great! :)

Tomorrow was going to be Angie, but I'm not sure right now. I'm going to peruse my WOD list and find something fun.

Skinny Fat
04-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Update

Still feeling great; I just did the math. 45 reps at 225lbs is 10,125 lbs. Not a bad deadlift day for high-volume loading. :)

Also, here's my workout for tomorrow:

For time:
Run 400m
Thrusters, 95lbs x 21
Chinups x 30
Run 800m
Chinups x 30
Thrusters, 95lbs x 21
Run 400m

Should be tons of fun!

thejuice
04-19-2006, 11:53 AM
That's some intense work! I'm really looking forward to seeing where this routine carries you this summer... great start so far!

Skinny Fat
04-19-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks, man... I'm looking forward to it, too. :)

My goal for the summer is to get leaner and harder, to build up strength endurance (225x45, for instance), build standard endurance (5K/10K/5-milers), get to the point where I can do an absurd number of pull-ups/dips/etc., and develop my lifting skillset (cleans, clean + jerk, clean + press, snatch).

September 1 I've got an interesting Powerlifting/O-lifting bastardization that I'm excited about. Hopefully at that point I'll be ~185, and ready to pack on 10-15 pounds of lean mass.

Coke
04-20-2006, 06:09 AM
Thanks, Coke. I hope you won't be disappointed in me this summer while I'm XFitting it up.

I luv seeing folks do their own thing, especially fine Ohio peeps like yourself - ;) ...keep on taking care of business.

Skinny Fat
04-20-2006, 07:10 AM
Just Barely Went to the Gym Day

Woke up, couldn't breathe, sore back. I managed to unclog my sinuses and stretch to the point where I could convince myself that I could work out. Revised the above workout:

Ran 400m
30 95lb Thrusters
30 Pull-ups
Ran 400m
Time: 10 min

I sweated a little, did some pull-ups... eh, at least I did something. I'm really going to kick ass next week when I'm healthy.

Coke: Thanks! :)

Rex
04-20-2006, 08:55 AM
Bah... you've been corrupted by the crossfit madness.

;)

Skinny Fat
04-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Yep, I'm corrupted. :)

My girlfriend's going to be in California for the entire summer, so I thought it would be the perfect time to boot camp my ass into shape. I've got plans to build:

- moveable door-mounted pull-up bar
- spare tire sled
- weight vest
- adjustable sandbag
- Strongman Atlas stones
- homemade kettlebells
- homemade medicine ball
- climbing rope
- big-ass tire for flipping

Between that, trailrunning, olympic lifting, and a crapload of pull-ups, push-ups, dips, squats, burpees, and other assorted torture... I think I'm gonna be pretty f'n fit by the end of summer.

Notes:
Friday: Rest day.
Saturday: the Broomstick Mile.

With a broomstick complete the following:
Back Squat X 25
Front Squat X 25
OHS X 25
Run 400 M
Shoulder Press X 25
Push Press X 25
Push Jerk X 25
Run 400 M
Hang Clean X 50
Run 400 M
Snatch X 50
Run 400 M

God save me from myself!

Skinny Fat
04-23-2006, 02:15 PM
2 Mile Trail Run Saturday, April 22

Time: 25 min

Notes: Just went out for a run with my girlfriend... nothing crazy, nothing much worth noting. Very nice day for a run.

Skinny Fat
04-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Olympic Mile Sunday, April 23

I didn't have a broomstick to use, so I adjusted the Broomstick Mile slightly (used a 45 lb bar for fewer reps, allowed for more time):

Overhead Squat x20
Front Squat x20
Back Squat x20
Ran .25 mi
Overhead Press x20
Push Press x20
Push Jerk x20
Ran .25 mi
Hang Power Clean x20
Ran .25 mi
Snatch x20
Ran .25 mi

Time: ~25 min

Notes: Felt great. 60 squats in a row, no matter the weight, is enough to get you breathing heavy. I actually ran .25 miles each time, instead of 400m, which is the official distance (no conversion on the treadmill). Got in, worked myself hard, got out. Tomorrow morning is the following:

Bench Press 3x5
Overhead Press 3x5
Weighted Pull-ups 3x5
T-Bar Rows 3x10
Back Squat 3x5
SLDL 3x10
Shrugs 3x10
Farmer's Walk

Coke
04-24-2006, 05:37 AM
Putting yourself in boot camp this summer while sweetie is gone sounds like an excellent plan, already have started it in some ways, lol...good stuff bro, and the 2mi. run within 25min. is noteworthy imo.

Skinny Fat
04-24-2006, 08:03 AM
Lifting Day April 24

Bench Press
185x3x5

OH DB Press
35x3x10

Weighted Pull-ups
+10 x3x5

Seated Rows
100x3x10

Back Squat
135x3x5

SLDL
135x3x10

Notes: I went ATF + pause for the squats - I was pretty beat from yesterday still, so I did it pretty light. I'm still a little 'off', so the strength and endurance weren't there like I'd like.

Coke
04-25-2006, 05:07 AM
Nice job, got in there and did as planned...that is a fine session, covered a lot of ground with those movements.

Rex
04-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Nice lifting. That's alot of work with some bigtime movements. Progression is the name of the game.

Skinny Fat
04-26-2006, 11:10 PM
Squat work Wednesday, April 26

Dead-hang, pausing BW Pull-ups
3x5

Full stretch, pausing BW Dips
3x5

Dan John's OHS-Front Squat-Back Squat singles progression:
OHS
45x3
65x1
85x1
95x1
Front Squat
115x1
125x1
135x1
155x1
Back Squat
175x1
195x1
215x1
225x1

Notes: I didn't want to push too hard today, because tomorrow morning I'm gonna get lit up by 'Linda'. I got a good stretch on both dips and pull-ups, and did them nice and slowly - felt strong throughout. The squat work was great - I've got a lot in me for OHS once I learn some freakin' balance. I need to work that movement a lot more. Front Squats felt really strong, but by the time I got to back squats, I didn't have a lot left. Amazingly, though, I hit my old PR as tired as I was. I think I've got another 20 lbs in me the next time I really want to try.

Rex and Coke: Thanks! That was the whole point of the workout - get in there, hit all the important lifts, and get out. I'm hoping that by dropping the overall volume (3x5 instead of 5x5), I can keep increasing strength, and can hit the ground running when I go back to a strictly lifting split. It really helps that you guys keep sticking your noses in here!

Tomorrow: Linda (3 bars of death), adapted to my pansy lifting strength. BW DL, 3/4 BW Bench, 1/2 BW Clean 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1.

Coke
04-27-2006, 06:21 AM
Tremendous stuff with the overhead and front/back squats - :thumbup: ...dead hangs and what not were cool too.

KevinStarke
04-27-2006, 07:43 AM
Interesting setup, OH squats are a bitch.

Skinny Fat
04-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks, guys! Kevin, the setup is actually pretty cool for getting a large amount of tough work with only a few moves. OHS are a complete bitch, though. I actually failed out of 95lb twice. I really need to do a lot of those with no weight or with just the bar, just to really get my body in the groove. It feels really lame to fail on an OHS with something like 95 on the bar, because you're trying awkwardly to squat, and the bar basically falls forward. It's not THAT much weight, though, so you can easily stand up and press it back up...

After the OHSs, I was really happy with my front squatting. I'm still working on the grip - I settled on a clean grip, the bar resting on my fingers resting on my shoulders. My delts are bruised this morning, and every time I tried to put the bar directly on my delts, it sucked. The move felt very strong, though, and I really sat back and down well. Ass to ankles...

Linda is moved to tonight - I'm moving out of my place, so this morning was busy with packing & unpacking.

Rex
04-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Nice workout. Looks like fun!

Skinny Fat
04-27-2006, 08:04 PM
98 lb Weakling Linda Thursday, April 27

Deadlift 205lbs
Bench Press 155lbs
Clean 90lbs
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 for time
~50 minutes

Notes: Wow. That was the hardest thing I've ever done. After 10-9-8 I was sweating like a pig, breathing like an emphezema patient, and shaking like a leaf. 7-6-5 are the reps where men are made. After you get done deadlifting that many times, it's hard to hold onto the bar to bench press. I'm very proud of making it through... and now that it's been an hour since I stopped sweating, I can honestly say I want to go again - in about a month.

Skinny Fat
04-28-2006, 09:06 AM
Recovery Day Friday, April 28

Max-weight pull-up
+15, +25, +35, +40, +40

Additional: Worked out with my girlfriend - did light squats, deadlifts, rows, and weighted crunches while I showed her the ropes.

Girlfriend:

ATF Squats
45x3x10

DB Bench
20x10
15x10
15x15

Assisted Pull-ups
-50x3x10

Standing OH DB Press
8x10
10x2x10

T-Bar Rows
40x10
50x2x10

Deadlift
45x10
65x3
75x3
85x3

Weighted Crunches
+6x3x10

Weighted Back Extensions
+6x2x10

Notes: I'm pretty stiff from last night, but not terrible. I was proud of my new PR in weighted pull-ups, but I was really just fooling around while my girlfriend was doing pull-ups. I'm very proud of the work she put in - she used great form on everything, and she's actually pretty strong on rows.

Rex: It was a lot of fun!

Coke
04-28-2006, 09:32 AM
That's nice to be having a workout partner when your girl comes back...super work on Linda and on recovery day.

Rex
05-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Nice looking session the other day. I wouldn't have even been able to press the 155. Maybe - maybe - 135. By the time you get to the cleans... It's only 90 pounds but after all the work beforehand. And cleaning the weight for so many reps. It's got to be a seriously intense session. Nice job man.

Skinny Fat
05-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Wow, long time no journal. A lot's happened since the last post:

April 29: Got engaged.
April 30: Ran 2+ miles.
May 1: nada.
May 2: A basic bench/pull-up/squat day.
May 3: Drive 450 miles.
May 4: Walk the city of Washington, DC.
May 5: Basic bench/pull-up/squat day.
May 6: Helped the fiancee work out; did some light cleans, etc. Best Man at my brother's wedding. Serious dancing.
May 7: Drive 450 miles.
May 8: Sleep. Celebrate the fiancee's birthday.

Tomorrow I'm going to do whatever the WOD is - wish me luck!

Rex: It's a crapload of work. I think the heavier WODs would be fun for a bodybuilder/powerlifter who wanted to work something different in now and then. It's like a special challenge, and it'll help with your endurance. If I were doing a strict lifting routine, I think I'd still be doing Linda or Diane (or something I made up that looked like that) about once a month. In fact, I'm inspired to try something I'll make up now later this week:

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 of:
155 Bench
+20 Pull-up
95 OH Press
205 DL

That should whoop my ass pretty good. :)

Coke: Thanks for the continued motivation and encouragement, big guy. I'm really having a lot of fun showing my fiancee the ropes. I was so proud of her the day after her squats, when she couldn't go up or down the stairs, but she was still looking forward to her next workout, when she could punish herself some more. :)

Coke
05-09-2006, 05:39 AM
Man you were a busy dude for a while there, lol - congrats on your recent engagement - :thumbup: ...you 2 are a winner!!

Rex
05-09-2006, 08:58 AM
lol busy is an understatement. Congratulations man! Lots of good stuff happening in your life right now, be sure to enjoy it.

Skinny Fat
05-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Cindy Tuesday, May 9

5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, 15 BW squats
Max sets in 20 min:

12 sets new pr

Notes: I'm still working on the mental part of XFit; when I'm in the gym doing one of the girls, I'm still approaching it with a weightlifting mindset, where I want my muscles to recover before the next set. It needs to be more of a cardio mindset, where I push through the tired feeling and make myself get more sets. Still, a pr is a pr.

Rex and Coke: Thanks for the congrats! It's been a whirlwind since I did it. Everybody's asking if we have a date set, what our plans are... I'm a little 'girly' when it comes to things like this, so I'm actually looking forward to the planning.

I can't believe I just admitted to that on a BB board. ;)

Tonight: 5-3-3-3-1-1-1-1-1 Back Squats! Just what the doctor ordered! That's exactly the type of exercise I was hoping for. :)

Skinny Fat
05-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Max Back Squat Wednesday, May 10

5-3-3-3-1-1-1-1-1
5x145
3x155
3x175
3x185
1x205
1x215
1x225
1x235 PR
5x155 - I knew I didn't have another single in me

Notes: Added in a light CFWUx2 (5 pull-ups, 5 dips, 5 sit-ups, 5 back extensions) before hitting the squats. I felt pretty strong, especially considering my focus and commitment's been a little wacky the last month (getting sick, travelling, and getting engaged, along with wanting to sleep more have really cut into my workouts).

I think I'm ready to really hit this hard, especially once June-July-August roll around. Tomorrow I'll be doing Isabel, which is 30 snatches. They're prescribed at 135lb, but I've never done a snatch in my life. I think I'll just do the oly bar, and mix in some other stuff I want to do. Then, I'll do a full-body workout Sunday, and get back on my Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday WOD schedule.

Rex
05-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Nice squats, congrats on that PR!
Becareful doing the snatches, I think the just the bar is the way to go, especially if you've never done them before. You might even want to do DB snatches instead - they're much easier perform.

Coke
05-12-2006, 03:56 AM
Pretty good schedule lined up for the next few days, those sessions should go smoothly bro...fine squats.

Skinny Fat
05-15-2006, 02:20 PM
Full-body day Sunday May 14

ATF Squats:
135x3x15

DB Bench:
55x3x10

BW Pull-ups:
10, 7, 6

OH Press:
95x3x15

Bent-over rows:
135x3x10

Deadlift:
135x10
225x10
265x3x3

Notes: Eh. I was so not focused for that workout, it's ridiculous. My stabilizers, especially my wrists, are crap for DB Bench. I should be pushing significantly more than that, but I think the DBs would slip and crush my skull at this point. I need to DB press a LOT more. Ugh. Anyway - I'm lifting with the fiancee tonight, and tomorrow morning I'm going to include the WOD with some other things:

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 DB Clean + Press supersetted with
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Weighted Pull-ups

I'll probably throw in dips of some kind and/or DB Benching. BB Benching has developed my BB Bench, but I think I need more function to that strength.

Rex and Coke: Thanks, guys! You're the one constant for me, and it's great to get that feedback from the work I'm putting in. Rex, I tried just the bar for snatches - I think you're right, and I'll work on DB snatches in the future. I have crap for flexibility when it comes to catching in a full OH squat. The bar almost knocked me over a couple times.

Coke
05-16-2006, 05:25 AM
Nice deal on getting the full body session in, it wasn't bad at all - just going through the motions will work.

Rex
05-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Indeed man. I only post in a few journals so I've got time to keep up with your lifting. You keep doing what you're doing and I'll keep reading :)

Session wasn't all that bad! 95x3x15 on the OH Press is pretty damn good in my book!

Skinny Fat
05-16-2006, 03:19 PM
DB C+P / Weighted Pull-up Day Tuesday, April 16

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 30lb DBs Clean + Press
1-2-3 15lb Weighted Pull-up
3-3-3 10lb Weighted Pull-up
5-5-5-4 Unweighted Pull-up

Notes: I'm off schedule; I did some lifting with my fiancee last night, and this morning my body was a little stiff and tired. I'm too excited to lift with her, so I don't take a full rest day sometimes when I should. No worries, though - I still got a great deal of work done in this workout. Tomorrow the schedule calls for a 5K, which is perfect. My body doesn't need to lift tomorrow, and I'm running a 5K on Saturday that I need a little warm-up for, at least. Then I'll come back Thursday for Angie: 100 pull-ups/100 push-ups/100 squats/100 sit-ups. Rest day Friday (seriously, I NEED that), then the 5K Saturday, and a full day of lifting on Sunday. That should get my muscles back on track.

Coke and Rex: Thanks! I agree about the OH pressing. I just felt like crap on the DB Bench, and didn't really feel like pushing heavy weights. A nice 3x15 is good, though I wouldn't want to do it every week. This Sunday, I'm back to 3x5s at heavy weight.

Goodwinm
05-16-2006, 04:24 PM
Congrats on the engagement! :) If its not too late to congratulate! and congratulations on the ever progressing lifts! Super stuff. Keep it up!

Coke
05-17-2006, 05:20 AM
Doing good man...that Angie sounds like a killer, lol.

Skinny Fat
05-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Catch-up

Saturday: Blendon Woods 5K - 36:30
Sunday: Squat, Clean+Press, Pull-ups, Deadlift
Tuesday:

Squat
175x5x5

Deadlift
225x5
275x2
295x2x1

Overhead walking lunges
12lb medicine ball x 2 laps of gym

Good mornings
135x3x8

Notes: I've been a little hit-and-miss lately; I blame it on my general laziness and the fact that my fiancee's leaving in two weeks. I ran well on Saturday, though, and yesterday was a really great day for squatting. I think my increased endurance is really helping my 5x5 - I put 20lbs on the last try, and did it with no problem.

Goodwinner - thanks! It's an absolutely crazy time, and I'm just hoping the bubble doesn't burst.

Coke - Thanks for the support, as always. I'm looking forward to that first Angie still. I'm really not sure how my body will react to my attempt at 100 pull-ups with minimal rest and no different moves mixed in.

Goodwinm
05-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Goodwinner - thanks! It's an absolutely crazy time, and I'm just hoping the bubble doesn't burst.

Im sure that bubble will stay very much alive and floating,
:) I cant wait to get engaged and married! hehe.

good workout too by the way!
some good numbers your putting up!

Coke
05-25-2006, 05:11 AM
Hanging in there ok, doing what is needed to stay on track - ;)

Skinny Fat
05-25-2006, 09:06 AM
The Best 20 Minute Workout I Could Think Of

I had a lot of chores this morning, so I did:

BW+20 Dips x5
BW+20 Pull-ups x5
95lb OH Squats x5

For 5 rounds. I feel goooood. :)

Goodwinner: Thanks for hanging out in here. I have no doubt that the engagement thing is going to keep floating along! :) Everything else in my life just seems to be working out right now, too, and I'm just trying to keep it going.

Coke: That's the idea. :) I'm having a hard time staying focused on working out according to schedule right now, but June 7 I'm on my own, and have no excuses not to get to the gym whenever I need to.

Coke
05-26-2006, 05:52 AM
5 rounds of all that is sweet, especially within that time frame - good stuff bro.

Goodwinm
05-26-2006, 04:51 PM
nice five rounds there!

Rex
05-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Great session, quality work.

Skinny Fat
05-30-2006, 09:12 AM
Catch-up from the weekend

Saturday:

Squat
175x5x5

Push Press
135x5x5

Pull-ups
5x5

Bench Press
185x5x5

Bent-over row
135x5x5

Tuesday:

3 rounds for time:
400m run
95lb thruster x10
BW pull-up x10

Skinny Fat
05-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Notes: Spent the weekend hanging out with the soon-to-be in-laws; things went really well, everybody was really excited for us, and we came back with some gifts. Can't complain about free food, presents, and a couple of parties in your honor.. of course, I didn't get to spend any 'quality time' with my fiancee, which was no good. ;)

I felt really strong on the full-body lifting day, and I spent a good part of the weekend doing pull-ups from a bar my fiancee's parents have hanging in their house. I think my pull-ups today suffered, both from that and from the 4-hour drive yesterday. Today's workout was a watered-down version of the XFit WOD. I wanted to run short distances (the 400m instead of the prescribed 800m) at a faster pace, to try to get myself comfortable with short sprints. I had a hell of a time trying to get all the way down into my squat for the thrusters, but I fought through. Tomorrow is max deadlifts, which is exactly what my body needs. Hopefully I'll set my PR by a decent amount.

Rex, Coke, and Goodwinner: Thanks, guys! You're all putting up great workouts in your own journals, and that keeps me motivated. I promise the workouts in here will always be interesting - and my fiancee's going to take some pictures of me for progress. You will see those in September, when I have something great to put it up against. Right now I'm still pretty doughy. :)

Week after next, I'm building a sled and a sandbag, and taking them out to the park to really kick my own ass. I can't wait!

Rex
05-30-2006, 06:59 PM
You'll reach your goals you just got to remain consistent and progressive. Always try to add weight or reps. And you got to show up.

Coke
05-31-2006, 06:47 AM
Nice to know you've been putting the work in as well as having a great time celebrating and all.

Skinny Fat
05-31-2006, 09:07 AM
Max Deads

Warm-up: 3x5 BW Chins, Pull-ups, Sit-ups, Back Extensions

225x1
275x1
295x1
315x1 PR
315xf (grip failure, just before lockout)
275x2x1

Notes: It wasn't bad, but I know I can do better. I've been too disorganized lately to really hit a solid PR (345 shouldn't be a problem for me with some work). I'm just going to stick with this until I can focus again, and I should be fine.

Coke and Rex: Thanks for stopping by as always, guys. I'm just trying to keep 'showing up' for the next week, and I should do great after that. I'm a little disappointed with myself today, not for what I did this morning, but for the lack of work in the past couple weeks that led to the disappointing work this morning. But I know all that will get better shortly, and I still hit a solid PR. Thanks for keeping me honest! :)

Rex
05-31-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm just trying to keep 'showing up' for the next week, and I should do great after that.

Nah man, you're doing great now! Just stick with the game plan and next time around (next week?) pull 320.

Coke
06-01-2006, 04:04 AM
Good job with the various movements before pulling off the deads pr...look like you got plans dude.