PDA

View Full Version : So what exactly are processed foods?

shiggy
01-05-2006, 01:14 PM
A lot of people say its good to avoid processed foods for bodybuilding, but from my internet searches it seems that practically everything is processed.

Bob
01-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Spaghettios = processed food
Spinach = NOT processed food

hoser813
01-05-2006, 01:27 PM
so whats the process?

ShockBoxer
01-05-2006, 01:28 PM
From my internet searches it seems that practically everything is processed.

You are correct.

Cooking from scratch and buying only organic is the only surefire way to avoid it. It's expensive and a lot of work.

Davidelmo
01-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Yeah, pretty much everything is processed. But I also think it may depend a little on your definition of "processed" too. I'm fussy and dont want anything that has been altered at all.

Some of the most processed things I can think of are:

Packaged meats or any shaped meats (turkey twizzlers, most burgers etc). Those thin slices of meat you get that are like salami. My Uncle works in this industry and says he'd never feed his family this stuff. They take all the cuttings of meet which you wouldn't want to eat, then blend it, add a ton of thickeners, flavourings, salt, preservatives etc and then mould it back together before cutting it into shape.

Sweets. Usually filled with ridiculous amounts of colouring and flavouring.

Usually anything with "hydrogenated" in it.

I went to buy a pizza the other day. It's not just flour, cheese etc. It's full of E numbers... pretty sad. I now make my own base and add organic cheese and tomatoes along with pieces of organic chicken breast.

If you can afford it, organic is DEFINATELY the way to go. Chicken tastes so much nicer and actually has a distinct flavour. I'm certain I could pass a blindfold test of organic vs battery farmed. The chicken is more fibrous in texture because it actually has developed muscles from running around and flapping its wings. The battery farmed ones are usually smoother and have no muscle because they can't move and are fed until fat.

Get grass-fed beef if possible, instead of corn-fed.

Even vegetables can be processed to some degree. Avoid tinned stuff and buy fresh vegetables.

spencerjrus
01-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Anything with an ingredient I cant pronounce.

Mik
01-05-2006, 02:22 PM

LOL!

JustLost
01-05-2006, 03:13 PM

*applause*

KingWilder
01-05-2006, 04:35 PM

haha [/thread]

Shao-LiN
01-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Spam, sausages, etc. etc. etc. processed. You don't need to totally avoid it, as most things these days are processed to some degree, but limiting things like frozen pizza, spam, probably a good idea.