PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight to win money

xlerate9
01-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Well, a co-worker and I were in a discussion and it ended with us betting each other $100 that would could lose more weight. (I tried to tell him that bodyfay% would be better but he wanted to do straight up pounds, I weigh more, so I agreed) So anyway... I'm 5'11 230lbs. I used to work out a lot and still have a decent amount of muscle mass. I'd say I'm right around 25% bodyfat :( I started cutting yesterday... started easy. I decided my maintenance was right around 2900 calories... so I cut back to 2400 the past 2 days. I'll start back in the gym on monday and I ordered some more protein powder to get enough protein in my diet. June 1st is the weigh-in to see who wins the bet. $100 + looking and feeling better is pretty good incentive to lose weight. I've searched and read a lot on here and appreciate all the great info. Does anyone have any good tips for me though to lose the most amount of weight in 5 months? I'd like to get as close to 200 lbs as possible.

Thanks!

Davidelmo
01-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Well unfortunately this bet is based on your final weight and nothing to do with your composition.

You would lose more WEIGHT on the scales if you diet and don't do any lifting but that's not really what this site is about.

I assume you want to hold onto muscle and you can read all about that on this site too, but it probably wont do you any favours in the competition.

edit: also this doesnt seem like a sensible idea to me, sorry

xlerate9
01-05-2006, 05:14 PM
It's all in fun... more of a way to get us both to work out more. I can lose fat only... and still beat him. I know how he is with his dieting... and it won't take much to lose more than him. I think you got the wrong impression. I absolutely want to hang on to muscle... that's worth more to me than $100, afterall... the muscle took years to gain.

I'd love to be 230 with 6% bodyfat.... but we all know how hard that would be. And I'm fat enough that I can keep all of my muscle... and still get down to 200 or 210 easy. I'll definitely keep hitting the weights.

Bob
01-05-2006, 05:15 PM
David.. not really true on the "don't do any lifting" comment...
gaining any muscle is going to help burn those calories...
Everyone has a different way to lose weight efficiently...
my best cutting seems to be when I do all PowerLifting WOs and lots of cardio...
Built will probably chop my head off.. but it seems to be the only way for me to keep strength and cut large amounts of weight.

Good luck on your bet... there is a lot of info on WBB..
Although you might want to start tracking your food.. with an account at Fitday.com

PBX4Sho
01-05-2006, 05:50 PM
my advice.....nice,long sauna before your weigh-in. since its not based on bf%

Davidelmo
01-05-2006, 05:52 PM
David.. not really true on the "don't do any lifting" comment...
gaining any muscle is going to help burn those calories...

Yeah sure, but if he just starved himself and did no lifting he'd lose more. A lb of muscle burns around 50kcal I think so it kinda helps but not a HUGE amount.

Obviously thats a seriously stupid idea. You'd probably stay fat too since your body would go into starvation mode.

Well since you want to hang onto muscle you seem to sound like you know what you're doing. 500 under maintenance, keep the protein up, lift heavy, rest plenty and there's a recipe for success! :D

Goodbarsix
01-09-2006, 09:19 AM
When i first started changin my lifestyle to a healthy one, i was 5'11 and 240 lbs. Basically i started eating right around 2800 calories, with running everyday. Wierd to think that i only started with around 7-10 minutes of running, but it helped! I'd say by 5 months i had lost 40 lbs. Thank goodness it slowed down after that, but if you want to keep the muscle, this is probably not the best bet IMO. I've switched over to a more bulk-friendly lifting routine with less cardio and i've been hanging onto 183-184 lbs for a good month.
-Tyler

jds22
01-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Does anyone have any good tips for me though to lose the most amount of weight in 5 months? I'd like to get as close to 200 lbs as possible.

Try a PSMF - Protein Sparring Modified Fast

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

Go to the forum section and read up on "Crash Dieting/PSMF"

dw06wu
01-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Lyle's PSMF will definitely give you the upper hand.

edit: but if you want to do it right, you have to buy the book which cost 20 bucks iirc.