PDA

View Full Version : Trying to understand a cut

earthbuddy1
01-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Im still a neewb. Im looking to cut. Im a 5'2" male, 170lb with 16% bf as measured with a caliper. Im looking to get into the mid to upper 140s as far as weight goes at around say 11 to 13% bf. I picked those numbers because they sounded good to me. Ive been weight training off and on for about 20 years or so, but slacked really bad the past 8 years. Plumped up to 205 in 03 and finally decided to loose weight. Im sure I lost a lot of muscle also but I got to 160 and then slacked again. Now Im holding at 170.

In reading on here, I find Im very low on my protien intake and very high in carbs and fat. When I lost most of the weight these past 2 years or so, I realize upon looking back, that I still ate lots of carbs. In reading about the PSMF, and reading about what Built has to say, I got on fitday and have been tracking my food since I started back on my cut. The past week I have been on avg:
Cal:1000 to 1200
Fat:25 to 30g
Carb:52 to 75g
Protein: 128 to 135g

I tend to maintain my weight from between 1600 to 2000 cals. a day.

My diet today consisted of:
breakfast:oatmeal and slice turkey lunchmeat, 1 protein drink
lunch:8oz chicken breast ate throughout the day
dinner:3.5oz salmon, 2oz potato, 2oz squash, roll
snack: 1 protein drink

On fitday, it calculated my day as 1025 cals, 30g fat, 52g carb, 136g protein. From what I read, I need to have 1.5g protein per lean pound of body weight. I get 143 LBW x 1.5=214g of protein.

Am I seeing this right? Is fitday calculating my meals properly? How in the world do I get more protein without guzzling protein shakes?

Anyway, Im sure more info is on this forum that I could read, but just to have someone address my specific issue is really a boost in itself.

So am I on the right track here? Am I seeing this correctly? Thanks all.

HILL
01-06-2006, 03:03 AM
those maintanance cals seem very low but then you dnt weigh alot. You are correct about the protein because 1.5g will help you maintain lean body mass. protein powder helps with getting enough but also 200g of steak has about 50 grams of protein, 250g of gammon about 45 for examples. all the diet advice you could need is on this website and you seem to have the basics. dnt forget 0.5g of fat per lean pound of body weight is important as well. so is lifting heavy in the gym. i also think 1000 cals is very low to cut on but if you think your maintance is 1600-1800 then that would be about right maybe 1200

ReelBigFish
01-06-2006, 08:10 AM
I highly doubt your body needs that few cals. I bet you've just been eating that many on average for so long and your body has just slowed down.