PDA

View Full Version : New Diet Problems

FREAKZILLA
01-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Hello all,

I have been perusing these forms for sometime now and have gathered some info to help in my training. Recentley I decided to change my diet for the better, and today I wasn't feeling well at all. I am currentley 376 and my diet used to consist of Fast food, almost everyday. I have decided to eat cleaner for numerous reasons, but the main being longer life, and more energy. I have been doing ok and have yet to add cardio, or weight training to my plan. Here is a sample of my diet.

Meal 1 - 2 eggs, 1 cup oats, and 1 piece multi grain bread

Meal 2- 2 scoops Whey bag of veggies and small box raisins.

Meal 3- Brown Rice and Salmon

Meal 4- 2 scoops whey blended with O.J. and a Banana

Meal 5 - ground turkey with salad.

Meal 6 - Cassien Protein Shake

Now I have been eating like this for the past few weeks and it seems like during the late afternoon I am bogged down, I just run out of energy. Since my body is used to such an enourmous amount of calories, could this be a side effect of lowering my calorie intake so much?

Bob
01-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Sounds like a carb/sugar withdrawl...
My wife went though this about a year ago.. she was rought a 50 carb/20 protein/30 fat ... to a 30/40/30 diet... but on the way there, the first couple of months she was a 15/50/35 diet.. almost no carbs.. and went though some serious mood changes and low energy periods... however, now she doesn't carve though carbs/sugars much anymore... and keep her energy up.

She does enhance her diet with supplements..
Some of that is Green Tea - which does have some energy boost in it..

PS.. Please create an account at FitDay.com... you will be better able to track your calories there... and determine if you are too low.

PSS.. Some other folks can also give you good advice if you make that FitDay profile public... Built is really good for that kind of advice..

FREAKZILLA
01-05-2006, 10:20 PM
I bought the software that they sell. I just started using it, I am adjusting to it.

Nicoman
01-06-2006, 04:39 AM
Yes that is exactly it......withdrawal. We do not realize how our eating habits can become addictive. Check out the Movie Super Size Me and you will see what I am talking about.

~Nico

Davidelmo
01-06-2006, 06:04 AM
Also dont worry about dietary ratios

Just worry about total calories and the individual macronutrient totals - make sure there's enough protein and fat.

FREAKZILLA
01-06-2006, 10:34 AM
I will definatly keep the ratios in mind.

Thanks for the info, withdraws suck in the worst way. But I am going to get through it.

Built
01-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Freakzilla - meal 4 might be messing you up - too much sugar. What time do you train, and did you work out your macros?

FREAKZILLA
01-06-2006, 11:19 AM
I have'nt trained heavy for a few months, my Rotator Cuff is killing me so right now Im doing the Ken O'neill program, to rehab the cuff.

But my training usually starts off at around 3:30 or 4 pm. I start out with weights for a good hour, and then I hit the bike for about 15 minutes (Medium Intensity)

As for the Macros, I am trying to balance them out better, I don't think I am getting enough Carbs in the early parts of the day.

Davidelmo
01-06-2006, 05:33 PM
I will definatly keep the ratios in mind.

Thanks for the info, withdraws suck in the worst way. But I am going to get through it.

Why do you think the ratios matter?

I'm not challenging you.. I just want your opinion :)

FREAKZILLA
01-06-2006, 06:09 PM
I want a balanced ratio of Fat Protein and Carbs. I am high in fat, but I also have some good muscle mass that I have put on through out the years. I would like to keep it on by making sure all the calories in my body are clean and well balanced.

Davidelmo
01-06-2006, 06:19 PM
But why does the actual ratio matter? Personally I think as long as you get enough of everything, the ratio overall doesn't matter.

Your diet is looking good overall.. you've obviously done your homework!

I dont have the exact macro breakdown but from looking and guessing I dont think there's a lot of fat in your diet. The eggs have a bit, the salmon has a tiny bit and if the turkey is decent there will be hardly any.

You're also using a LOT of shakes. Personally I try not to use the whey shakes more than once a day, simply because it messed my stomach up a bit and because it ends up PRICEY! :(

I would probably make sure my protein was high enough (at least 1g per pound of lean body mass) and make sure my fats were high enough (0.5g per lb.) I'd top up with carbs, trying to put them in the morning for energy throughout the day.

Just my 0.02c

FREAKZILLA
01-06-2006, 07:06 PM
I try to always get my protein from a food source, but sometimes my work gets so hectic I have to pop a shake. I have a 5lb Optimum Whey in my Desk drawer. Plus sometimes the money gets tight, and when it is tight the Whey becomes my best friend.

Built
01-08-2006, 10:41 PM
I want a balanced ratio of Fat Protein and Carbs.

I'll ask it as well - why?

I am high in fat, but I also have some good muscle mass that I have put on through out the years. I would like to keep it on by making sure all the calories in my body are clean and well balanced.
I don't see how being "balanced" will help.

Carbs early in the day might bite you in the ass - they can make you hungry, and elevated insulin levels when you're not training might lead to more fat gain.

My .02

smalls
01-08-2006, 11:17 PM
I try to always get my protein from a food source, but sometimes my work gets so hectic I have to pop a shake. I have a 5lb Optimum Whey in my Desk drawer. Plus sometimes the money gets tight, and when it is tight the Whey becomes my best friend.

There is nothing wrong with shakes as a large source of protein. There are very few cheaper/easier sources of protein.

I would also suggest getting a few less carbs and replace it with fat.

FREAKZILLA
01-09-2006, 04:04 PM
I'll ask it as well - why?

I don't see how being "balanced" will help.

Carbs early in the day might bite you in the ass - they can make you hungry, and elevated insulin levels when you're not training might lead to more fat gain.

My .02

So what is the optimum time for Carb intake? I would figure that getting my carbs early would help my energy levels through out the day.

WBBIRL
01-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Eating many smaller meals will keep your metabolism and energy up. I would focus your carbs around your training session. Protein moderately throught the whole day and watch the sugar. Make sure the water intake is good.

Built
01-09-2006, 06:20 PM
:withstupi

I like protein and fat early in the day, with carbs in the meal before and the meal or two after I lift.