PDA

View Full Version : eating Speed up metabolism?

Skinny_DiezeL
01-06-2006, 11:27 PM
I've made some progress since i started lifting more than cardio, but friends are saying that eating too much speeds up metabolism, therefore, burning more. so do i cut down on the eating for a couple of weeks? say three heavy meals a day, to slow my metabolism down? then start a bulking diet? or is it myth? any help is appreciated.

brickt.
01-06-2006, 11:43 PM
Um.

Eating more does speed up a metabolism, but the effect is very small. If your training to gain mass, just eat more than you burn, don't try and trick the system, it's smarter than you are.

ddegroff
01-08-2006, 02:10 AM
Eating 4-6 meals a day does speed up your metabolism. Thats why you eat that much. If you want to gain muscle this is a good thing because you can eat that much more.

Holto
01-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Meal frequency does not actually increase metabolism. I know we read about it every day but it's a myth that has been shattered by clinical research.

To see the studies check this thread and read Bradley's post.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=66713&highlight=meal+frequency

I'm not advocating eating less often just pointing out that it does not effect metabolism.

deeder
01-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Why would you want to slow down your metabolism? Just eat more than your maintenance calories for a bulk.

Skinny_DiezeL
01-08-2006, 02:27 PM
i've always wondered how you calculate the maintenance calories? i seem to have a pretty high number...

Holto
01-08-2006, 04:21 PM
i've always wondered how you calculate the maintenance calories? i seem to have a pretty high number...

You can't calculate it, you have to observe it. Simply put the # of cals you consume during a period of time where you maintain weight.

One more thing. The rate of anabolism (growth) is limited by the body's metabolic rate. This is IMO the most significant benefit of bulking. Increasing meals won't effect it but increasing cals will.

jds22
01-09-2006, 07:50 AM
Meal frequency does not actually increase metabolism. I know we read about it every day but it's a myth that has been shattered by clinical research.

:withstupi