PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I'm 16 years old, a vegetarian, and I want to get bigger and stronger.

omgwtflol
01-07-2006, 12:05 AM
I'm not too tall (5'5" - 5'6") and I weigh 125-130. I don't eat meat at all which a lot of people tell me is a big problem for me.

My goals are to basically have bigger muscles and get stronger..you know, just look better. If I lift weight 3 days a week, and take a good whey protein thing, would that be good enough? Or is my lack of meat in my diet going to be debilitating. I'm not trying to get like bodybuilder huge, but I definetely want to increase size and mass.

I really appreciate all the help, in advance. Any advice is definetely welcome.

muscleup
01-07-2006, 12:15 AM
Eating more calories than you burn on a daily basis is how you get bigger.

Can you eat eggs and drink milk?

Mick357
01-07-2006, 12:50 AM
Your goals can be attained. It just takes a lot of research on your part along with alot of determination. Being a Vegan will make it more difficult but if I am correct there was even a bodybuilder in the 70's, I think Arnold mentions him in his encyclopedia of body building.. Read and Learn as much as you can, it can be done

noahfor123
01-07-2006, 01:20 AM
Whey comes from an animal source (?), so he's probably not a vegan. I'm getting 197g protein a day from non-meat sources, which is plenty for a dude your size.

Milk
Eggs
Cottage Cheese
Whey Powder

Plus, it's ok to eat fish cause they don't have any feelings.

Songsangnim
01-07-2006, 02:58 AM
For a vegan it will be pretty tough (again if said vegan has good genetics and takes steroids it will greatly help)

A vegetarian on the other hand will have it a lot easier. Animal products (like those Mr. noahfor123 mentioned in his posts are good sources of protein).

To the OP. Whey and animal products will cover your bases as far as protein is concerned. Make sure you are getting enough overall calories as well. If you are not getting enough calories you will not grow, even if you are eating 300 grams of protein a day.

omgwtflol
01-07-2006, 08:29 AM
I'm not vegan, so eggs and milk and the like aren't off base for me. How do I figure out how many calories I'll need per day?

ShockBoxer
01-07-2006, 09:11 AM
You have to track what you eat for a few weeks and track your weight changes during that time. If it doesn't change then you have to add food.

www.fitday.com

Helps a lot.

Gutz981
01-07-2006, 09:20 AM
I feel bad for you. Do you eat chicken and fish? Just no red meat? Or all meats are a no go?

Whey, Cottage Cheese, Beans and eggs are your best shot.

TheGimp
01-07-2006, 09:56 AM
I'm always surprised the number of people who start mistaking vegan for vegetarian whenever someone makes this kind of thread. At no point did he say he was a vegan.

To the OP: I am a vegetarian and although this (obviously) makes life slightly more difficult, I would not say that it has held me back over the years. You can check out my journal for more information on my diet, but basically you should follow the same guidlines as anyone else and replace the meat with dairy products, protein powder, and "fake meats" such as soy products.

edit: getfit is another vegetarian I know of so check out her journal also. Apologies to any other vegetarians I may have overlooked.

omgwtflol
01-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Ohh, alright. I'll use the fitday thing, thanks. I appreciate all the help guys.

No, I don't eat chicken or fish. No meat whatsoever. But I have another question..will I really have to delve hardcore into diet, like thinking of calories and all that to get bigger? I don't want to seriously bulk up, I just want to be stronger and look better. Will trying to eat enough healthy calories and taking in some more protein be enough?

Also, is it possible to try to achieve a six-pack during this phase? Or do the goals of trying to get the sixpack and get my muscles bigger not coincide?

I'm sorry, I'm such a newbie to all this stuff..I REALLY appreciate all the help though, thanks guys. I'm definetley gonna start eating eggs a lot more and the like.

TOBART
01-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Tracking your diet is really important. I find it especially important when you start out. You'll need to get a general idea of how many daily calories you need to put on weight. Lets say you start at 3000 calories a day. Track this and ensure you eat around the same ammount of calories for a a few weeks. Monitor your weight gains, if you are gaining too much weight too fast (more than 3 lbs a week or whatever you are comfortable with) then decrease the ammount of calories and visa versa.

For us skinny kids; protein, fat and carb macros arent as important. I try to balance mine a certain way to some extent but really I just care about getting in as many calories as I can and keeping my protein above 200g a day.Oh, and I'm 5'7" 154 lbs, and I started at around 110 lbs 2 years ago.

A six pack shouldn't be your immediate goal when putting on weight. I've still got one right now but it keeps looking worse as the fat slowly goes on. I'm not worried about it, because I can always cut fat when spring comes. Your abdominal muscles are just like other muscles, you have to eat and lift heavy to make them bigger. Once you are as fat as you can stand to be, you can go on a cutting diet, and your gigantic bulked abdominal muscles will finally come out of hiding.

monotone
01-07-2006, 12:51 PM
is there any reason in particular you are a vegetarian??? ive always wondered what made people decide that at a young age.

omgwtflol
01-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Thanks a lot guys! This is helping a lot.

Okay, I'm a vegetarian because my whole family is and enforces it upon me, plus it's a religious thing (I'm Hindu). I've never had meat in my life.

Alright I think I've finally got this all settled in my head...

Does anyone have a sample meal thing for me, including the whey? I'm thinking two eggs for breakfast, and mixed nuts or something for some snacks..but I'm not really sure about lunch. For dinner, I mostly eat a lot of things with rice, vegetables and beans. Let's say I want to start with around 2500 or 3000 calories. Also, at like hwat times in the day should I consume the whey, and how often?

As for the lifting weights thing, I'm confused as hell on how many sets/reps to do. Should I go for 3 sets of 10 reps? Or should it be high weight low reps for this?

And one final thing - is it okay to do cardio when getting bigger?

Blazin Civic
01-07-2006, 04:10 PM
You can...but it will burn more calories than you really want to. If you eat more than it is fine.

noahfor123
01-07-2006, 06:49 PM
I just took this from my diet, and replaced chicken with tofu. You'd have to figure out the right amounts of foods for yourself and your goals, and tweak the timing to coincide with your schedule.

10 a.m: .5 cups oats, .25 cups cottage cheese, .5 banana, 1 cup milk, .5 scoop whey, 1 tbs peanut butter

12 p.m: 4 egg whites, 1 whole egg, .5 cups chick peas

2:30 p.m: 5 oz. broccoli, .5 oz. almonds, .5 cups chick peas

5: 30 p.m: .5 cups oats, .25 cups cottage cheese, .5 banana, 1 cup milk, .5 scoop whey, 1 tbs peanut butter

8:30 p.m: tofu, 5 oz. spinach, 5 oz. green beans, 6 fish oils,

11:30 p.m: 1 cup cottage cheese, .5 cups pineapple, .5 oz almonds, .5 cup oats

tigo
01-07-2006, 09:10 PM
get getfit to post in here... i believe shes a vegetarian as well

omgwtflol
01-08-2006, 07:21 AM
I just took this from my diet, and replaced chicken with tofu. You'd have to figure out the right amounts of foods for yourself and your goals, and tweak the timing to coincide with your schedule.

10 a.m: .5 cups oats, .25 cups cottage cheese, .5 banana, 1 cup milk, .5 scoop whey, 1 tbs peanut butter

12 p.m: 4 egg whites, 1 whole egg, .5 cups chick peas

2:30 p.m: 5 oz. broccoli, .5 oz. almonds, .5 cups chick peas

5: 30 p.m: .5 cups oats, .25 cups cottage cheese, .5 banana, 1 cup milk, .5 scoop whey, 1 tbs peanut butter

8:30 p.m: tofu, 5 oz. spinach, 5 oz. green beans, 6 fish oils,

11:30 p.m: 1 cup cottage cheese, .5 cups pineapple, .5 oz almonds, .5 cup oats

Thanks! I appreciate that. It'll be a good start.

I guess I'l save the cardio for when I cut.

But what about the weightlifting part? Should I do the "standard" 3 sets, 10 reps, low weight, or should I do high weiht, low reps? Or 10, 8, 6 or something

Davidelmo
01-08-2006, 08:15 AM
Thanks! I appreciate that. It'll be a good start.

I guess I'l save the cardio for when I cut.

But what about the weightlifting part? Should I do the "standard" 3 sets, 10 reps, low weight, or should I do high weiht, low reps? Or 10, 8, 6 or something

Check out WBB1 - it'a routine specially for people who want to get bigger

I've gained 20lbs on it so far

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

innermusic
03-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Plus, it's ok to eat fish cause they don't have any feelings.
LOL dude. So can I eat people that don't have feelings? I know quite a few.

Yes of course you can get as big as you want as a vegetarian, just like a meat eater. And just like a meat eater, you can eat crap or you can eat well. You can be fat, or you can be muscular, or you can be thin.

Feelings... I'm still chuckling on that one.

innermusic
03-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Eating more calories than you burn on a daily basis is how you get bigger.
It's also how you get fatter.
A lot of those extra calories had better be protein calories, and then you need to add a serious weight training routine on top of those extra calories.