PDA

View Full Version : First bulk - pound a day

ShockBoxer
01-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Yeah, so now that I'm officially bulking (3k cals a day) I've gained a pound a day this week.

How long until this stupid water weight settles down so I can track *real* results? I was planning on a 10 pounds in 10 weeks mini bulk to see how m bod reacts to things fat to muscle gain wise... if I hit that in two weeks (at the rate I'm going) it won't tell me much other than my body loves to hold water (I already knew that).

I'll be getting some calipers this afternoon. Does water-weight throw readings off?

Gutz981
01-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Let me know where you get these calipers.

ShockBoxer
01-07-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm going to get a set at GNC if Walmart doesn't have any for cheaper.

Davidelmo
01-07-2006, 01:36 PM
A pound a day? yikes!

Have you changed anything else apart from your calories? 3k a day isn't even that much!

cphafner
01-07-2006, 02:31 PM
If you increased your carbs you will most likely see some water weight gains. Things should settle down after a week or so. Water weight shouldn't effect your caliper readings too much. I normally add 2-3% on any caliper readings I get for human error.

Manveet
01-07-2006, 03:40 PM
How did you transition into your bulk?

Did you go straight from a cut to a bulk? Generally speaking, you should eat at maintainence for 2-3 weeks before going into a bulk from a cut.

I still suspect most of the weight is from water/glycogen. Dont increase cals for a little while, at least until your bodyweight stabilizes.

ShockBoxer
01-07-2006, 04:28 PM
I went from 1800 to 2400 and held that through December (no weight change) and moved into 3000 on the first.

Up another pound today. I guess that makes my maintenance what... -500 or so? :)

Caliper reads anywhere from 22 mm to 32 mm. Yeah, I suck at reading it. I get 24 the most, though. It's an Accu-Measure Fitness 3000 measuring at the superilliac which is easily the fattest part of my body.

Manveet
01-08-2006, 01:03 PM
I went from 1800 to 2400 and held that through December (no weight change) and moved into 3000 on the first.

Up another pound today. I guess that makes my maintenance what... -500 or so? :)

Caliper reads anywhere from 22 mm to 32 mm. Yeah, I suck at reading it. I get 24 the most, though. It's an Accu-Measure Fitness 3000 measuring at the superilliac which is easily the fattest part of my body.

You could be holding some serious water.

Just stick with the 3000 until your weight stabilizes. Then think about bumping up calories.

ShockBoxer
01-08-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm hoping that 3000 (+500-600) is more than enough to get me a pound a week. This whole discovering I'm half-camel thing is annoying. I'm keeping track of measurements and skinfolds carefully. It's enough to seriously make you pause when you've undone two months of careful dieting in a week according to the scales.

WBBIRL
01-08-2006, 01:54 PM
If your staying hydrated pretty good, then you cannot expect to be gaining 2-3 LBS per week in water. And even if you did I'd give it one week TOPS.

Also 5LBs a week seems like a DAMN fast bulk to me, are you eating cleany and lifting becuase at that rate of growth I have to think atleast half is fat/water. But if your staying hydrated good I cant see how your body would retain that much water... youd be bloated as hell.

3000 is only 500+ of what you maintained on, so you should be fine. I dont know how many cals it takes to get a pound of musce (fat is like 3500 right)... so it cant be all fat... not even 1/4 th fat.

Carbs make you hold water I've heard... id just watch it for another week or so.

ShockBoxer
01-08-2006, 02:55 PM
I drink more water and milk than the average person but I feel satiated and my urine stays clear on half of what people around here recommend.

I'm eating as cleanly as I did on my last 20 lb cut and my month long maintenace... which is to say, uh, not at all, really. Junk food is just so cheap and I'm on a tight budget.

Still, I will trust in an inability to redefine the rules of biology. +500 cals can't be enough to add more than a pound of anything in a week. My lifts are still going up every week (have been since I stopped my cut). Something has to end up on muscle...

brickt.
01-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Yeah, just remember the rules of thermodynamics. I'm 3 pounds up from last week, and you cannot tell me I ate 10500cals over maintaince. Nuh uh.

Adam
01-08-2006, 06:39 PM
After switching diet around I generally take my starting weight(for fun) then a ~week later I take another weighing. I use that weighing as my starting baseline.

ShockBoxer
01-09-2006, 05:23 PM
That's probably not a bad idea. I'm at 165 today which is where I was on Saturday. I'll see how the rest of the week goes. I don't want to get much higher than 170 but I will if my beer belly and waist size behave themselves.

WBBIRL
01-09-2006, 06:04 PM
I haven't read anywhere how much calories it takes to gain a pound of muscle. 10500 is 3500x3 which is fat. Muscle could be less (probably more) calories.

On another note, weight can flucuate alot more then you think.... During my football career my weight has flucuated more then 6 LBS per day. I had a team mate who lost 10LBS on one day and the next day (saturday) he gaind 11 back just by rehydrating himself.

ShockBoxer
01-09-2006, 06:56 PM
I thought the idea behind a bulk is a pound is a pound? Your body decides what it wants to do with the extra calories based on genetics and environmental factors (most importantly physical activity).

cphafner
01-09-2006, 06:59 PM
To give you an idea of water weight. I recently started back on a bulk. This weekend I weighed in between 171 and 173. Today I woke up at 171, tonight I am just under 178. Between the increased carbs and 1+ gallon of water I put on 7 lbs just today. Tomorrow my weight will go back down. The main thing is to weight in at the same time everyday.

Utopianhopes
01-09-2006, 08:48 PM
On another note, weight can flucuate alot more then you think.... During my football career my weight has flucuated more then 6 LBS per day. I had a team mate who lost 10LBS on one day and the next day (saturday) he gaind 11 back just by rehydrating himself.

Yeah, that would happen to me on two-a-days.

Hatred
01-12-2006, 06:21 PM
A gram of carbohydrates can hold ..is it a gram and a half of water? 3? I can't remember.
Might want to dial your carbs back a a bit.
What kind of a macro split do you have?

Hatred
01-12-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm going to get a set at GNC if Walmart doesn't have any for cheaper.
No friggin way does wal-mart have calipers.
I had to go to GNC for mine and I live in the capital of California.

ShockBoxer
01-12-2006, 06:52 PM
A gram of carbohydrates can hold ..is it a gram and a half of water? 3? I can't remember.
Might want to dial your carbs back a a bit.
What kind of a macro split do you have?

F/C/P 40/30/30 most days. Same as when I'm cutting or maintaining, really, only with a lot more food crammed into me. I'm heavily relying on those extra carbs and fat to make up the 600 or more calorie difference. I have to snack hard to hit 2400... 3000 is brutal and largely consists of me cheating at least once a day (and even then I've had to slip olive oil into anything I can).

I'm stabilized at 165 it looks like.

And no, the girl at Walmart looked at me in confusion and when I described it she said 'oh, you mean a protractor!' and pointed me to school supplies. 15 dollars at GNC later...

WBBIRL
01-12-2006, 07:39 PM
ROFL at the protractor... no wonder she wound up at walmart. Atleast the poor gal ment well

ShockBoxer
01-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Well, I hadn't heard the term 'caliper' since grade 11 biology until I came here. They're not exactly common instruments of choice. I'm impressed that she knew the word 'protractor' (I know some people who don't).

Kiaran
01-12-2006, 11:08 PM
lol @ protractor. Measure the angle of the love handles. I got my calipers from exrx.net; these bad boys: http://www.exrx.net/Store/Other/SlimGuide.html

Showed up pretty fast too. Sounds like things are stabalizing for you, man. Good luck!

ShockBoxer
01-13-2006, 06:31 AM
I'm already getting sick of food after two weeks. Not a good sign for aspirations of bodybuilding. I spent last night eating from 8:30 to 11:30.

Milk is expensive but I think I might have to go the weight gainer or shake route. I need to find a way to fit 1.7 to 2k clean calories into my day from breakfast until pre-workout. I can get a thousand easy with dinner and a post workout protein shake.

deeder
01-13-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm already getting sick of food after two weeks. Not a good sign for aspirations of bodybuilding. I spent last night eating from 8:30 to 11:30.

Milk is expensive but I think I might have to go the weight gainer or shake route. I need to find a way to fit 1.7 to 2k clean calories into my day from breakfast until pre-workout. I can get a thousand easy with dinner and a post workout protein shake.

Either you know nothing about budgeting or you live in a very messed up country... Eating junk food is much more expensive than eating clean and healthy.

Ex: To buy enough lean meat to make 4 good size burgers cost me about $2.50. Add to that $0.50 for an onion to cut up into the meat and once every month or so $5 for a small shaker of greek seasoning.

Pretty cheap... Pretty healthy...

Milk is also unexpensive unless you buy it from 7-eleven or something like that. Go to a supermarket, buy a 4 liter jug of milk for about $4.

ShockBoxer
01-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Actually, I buy 2 liter cartons for 3.29 at the supermarket. I should start buying the 4 liter bags, though, since they're not twice the price.

Hamburger is something I'm looking at, definitely. 2 kilo costs something like 7.50 where 1 kilo of chicken costs me 17 dollars. Yes, I suck at balancing a grocery budget. I know and I'm working on it.

That aside I was referring to the 'I'm full but still short 500 calories I think I'm going to puke' feeling I get.

Clifford Gillmore
01-16-2006, 03:58 AM
Powdered milk is always an option if you buy wholesale/bulk. As for the weight gainer, I can easily fit in 3-4k calories before 7 Am. Check out my journal for shake ideas.

ShockBoxer
01-16-2006, 07:53 AM
Spiking my two protein drinks a day with powdered milk is definitely an idea worth thinking about. My biggest bulking sticking points are lunches, though. I know I need to bring two worth about 500 each but I'm at a loss as to what to bring (often I bring tuna mixed with peanuts with some miracle whip and olive oil in it... but that's only one of the two lunches down).

Should probably just bring a thousand cal shake and drink half at noon and half at 3.

Clifford Gillmore
01-16-2006, 08:17 AM
There is so many options for a lunch. Chicken sandwich without the bread, so Chicken breast - Roma Tomatoes - Lettuce - Olive oil - Fetta cheese - onion etc. Same with Tuna or Smoked Salmon. Liquid foods are great for getting the extra cals in, damn it feels so much more natural to chew.

ShockBoxer
01-16-2006, 08:36 AM
I don't mind drinking meals. It's actually easier on my digestion problems, I think. Perhaps less solid matter to break down in the stomach and intestines is less stress on my system.

The problem is the brutal cost of milk at Sobey's (can't imagine it's cheaper at Superstore)! I can't spend 80-120 dollars a month on milk alone... that's most of my grocery budget 'cuz I'm a slave.