PDA

View Full Version : Diary of a Madman

TheCommander
01-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Howdy howdy all. Welcome to my journal. Since I'm just starting this up, I'll give you all my background and goals and all that crud.

Background:

I'm 19 years old, I'll be 20 here in about 5 months. I'm a student at Oklahoma State University, and I'm majoring in turf management.

Yes, it's an actual major, and you can get a job with it. And yes, you can make good money at it. Accept it.

I've got a decent amount of lifting experience. I wrestled 6 years, until I had to "retire" due to a shoulder that was torn up. Had it repaired finally with surgery. I did a lot of lifting with the team and on my own in the off season. I've done a lot of research and reading on proper lifting, nutrition, and the like. So I'm not a total noob, but I have a lot more to learn.

It's been probably close to 2 1/2 years since I've lifted regularly.

Goals:

My main short term goal is to put on as much weight as I can before May 9th.

I'm having jaw surgery to correct my funky bite, and I'll be eating through a straw for about a month. I expect to lose a lot of weight after surgery.

My long term goal is to put on size, maybe about 30 lbs or more. I also want to live a clean and healthy lifestyle. My health is important to me and I want to take care of my body. Heart disease and lung problems run strong in my family.

Motivation:

I was involved in drugs for a long time, and finally got the help I needed. I'm just a shade under 5 months clean. I haven't been clean this long since I was 14 years old. I have a little trouble getting on a daily routine, and I want this to help me focus, and hopefully help with my other responsibilities in life.

I'm really getting into motocross and I want to excell at it, so lifting will help me in my riding.

I'm also interested in kickboxing, but I'll have to wait for my jaw to heal for that.

Current Plan of Action:

My routine starts Monday, January 9th. I will be using the WBB 1 routine. I like the compound movements that stick to the basics. I'll tweak as necessary as time goes on.

I started taking Zyban (the stop smoking pill) this past Monday. Monday is also my quit date for smoking. I'm hoping to get some weight gain off this alone.

I'll be monitoring my daily soda intake and gradually ween off it. I would like to eventually just be strictly drinking water and milk, and I enjoy having a couple cups of coffee at night at my meetings. I will not budge on stopping the coffee there, that ain't gonna happen.

And last but not least...

Stats:

I don't have any measurements, and that's fine by me. Right now I'm just a touch under 6'4, and I only weigh about 170lbs. :zipit:

In my peak shape I was a little under 6'2, and 175.

My diet is awful. I eat once or twice a day. I think once I stop smoking Monday my appetite will increase tremendously, and lifting regularly increases it as well.

I'm going to quit blathering now. Tomorrow I go to pick up good food to eat.

TheCommander
01-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Just finished what should be my very last cigarette. Feeling confident in quitting.

bschatz88
01-09-2006, 07:32 AM
Good luck with your first workout today bro.

Bob
01-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Welcome aboard Commander!!
And good luck being off the drugs and cigs... Your long-term health is really looking up.
Looks like you should have no problem bulking.. 76 inches is a lot to fill in with muscle.. Have fun eating right.

Lift Hard, Eat right and Sleep enough..

TheCommander
01-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Omg, I'm teh weakzor! :)

At least I made it to the gym. Which was a little tough I must admit. I haven't worked out regularly and consistantly in probably 3 years. Definately had to check my ego going to the university gym. At least there was some nice eye candy.

Last night I got 9 hours of sleep.

Today I've had zero cigarettes. I'm doing great with the withdrawal. No physical symptoms, just a little aggitated. Feel much calmer after the workout though. Once you experience a heavy opiate withdrawal, the nic fits don't seem so bad.

Today is a funky day for eating. I have class from 8:30-12:30, and then lab from 1:30-4:20. I've had breakfast and lunch, and I'm about to go grab dinner. Had errands to run, then I went straight to the gym. I'll update my fitday and see what kinda numbers I'm looking at.

Either tonight or tomorrow I'm going grocery shopping. Lotsa peanut butter, eggs, cheese, chicken, and milk.

And down to the good stuff:

DB Bench Press: 2 x 8 @42.5lbs
Incline DB Bench Press: 1 x 8, 1 x 6 @ 37.5lbs
Dips: 2 x 8 @ BW - 90lbs

Chins: 2 x 8 @ BW - 90lbs
Deadlift: 2 x 8 @ 135lbs (This is sad, I used to max at 315, but easy does it)
Barbell Row: 2 x 8 @ 65lbs
DB Shrugs: 1 x 10 @ 50lbs

All in all I felt it was a nice workout. I went pretty conservative with the weights. I want to be able to move tomorrow. I should be able to move up in most of everything next week.

TheCommander
01-09-2006, 08:24 PM
According to FitDay, here is what I've taken in today.

Totals 4962 183 631 205

Cal: 4962
Fat: 183g
Carb: 631g
Protein: 205g

For some reason I don't think that's right. But I have only eaten junk today. Just haven't had time to get to the store. I have no class tomorrow so I can get food tomorrow for sure.

TheCommander
01-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Teh weak!11

Legs:

Leg Press: 1 pps. 2 x 8 Rofl. Easy, but wanting to focus on full range of motion and the ability to walk tomorrow.

Squat: 115lbs. 2 x 8 Easy enough. I've never had a very strong squat. I've always gone to heavy and when trying to get full range of motion, I'd hurt my groin, which discouraged me. The plan now is to start very light and going deep.

Leg Curls: 1x8 45lbs. Too heavy. 1 x 8 35lbs, about right.

Standing calf raises: 1 x 10 - 2 plates

At this point my legs were getting a little wobbly, and I want to be able to walk tomorrow. Extreme soreness sucks. I called it quits. Will shoot for the SLDL and 3 more sets of calf raises next week.

Sleep and Diet:

Monday night I slept 8 hours, Tuesday night I slept 7 1/2 hours.

Tuesday, my diet was the major suck, today, it's a little better, but still the suck. Oh well. Progress, not perfection, right?

All in all, I'm pleased with where I'm at and finding the weights that I need to use. I haven't had a puff of smoke since 10:30 PM, Sunday. I'm breathing a lot better. I've been irritable, but it's getting better. Slightly depressed, and really missing smoking. I think this has affected my appetite. I expect it to go away soon though.

I like the extra $5 in my pocket every day.

I think I'm going to slightly alter things. I feel like I'm trying to do way too many things at once. Quitting smoking, eating right, the new semester.

For the rest of this week and next week, my concentration will be on staying smoke-free, getting quality sleep, and just eating somewhat regularly. And of course getting my ass in the gym.

I'm hoping after next week my muscles will be a lot more accustomed to actually having to work and I can get after things at 100%.

Then, I'll worry about bettering my diet.

TheCommander
01-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Crud, I lost my focus with the quitting smoking.

I'll try the quitting again this coming Monday.

The physical part is easy to break, it's the psychological part that's the toughest.

Rome wasn't built in a day I suppose.

In other news, diet sucks today, but sleep was great last night. 11 hours.

Legs are sore, but not horrible. Looking forward to tomorrow's work out.

TheCommander
01-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Feeling like I'm starting to get back in the swing of things at the gym.

Military Press - 65lbs 2x8
Seated Dumbbell Press - 25lbs 2 x 8
Lat raises 10lbs 2 x 10

All my shoulder work was way too light. Bump it up next week.

Close Grip Bench - 65lbs 2 x 8
Pushdown w/ V-bar - 40lbs 2 x 8

This'll get bumped up 10lbs next week.

Barbbell Curls - 45lbs 2 x 8
Hammer Curls - 17.5 1 x 10

Crunches 2 x 10, 1 x 20

I'm pleased with it.

My diet has been terrible. I'm embarressed.

Sleep was crappy last night. We threw a small party last night here, *actually I really didn't have much part of it*, I got to sleep late and ended up not falling asleep till about 3 AM. Grrrrr.

I'm going to smoke the rest of tonight and then slap a patch on and go to bed, try the smoke free again. I think I've got my head on better this time. Let's hope so.

I'm out of class the next 4 days. Yay!

TheCommander
01-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Ahhhhh.....teh lifties!

DB Bench Press 2 x 8 @ 45lbs
Incline DB Press 2 x 8 @ 40lbs
Dips 2 x 8 @ BW - 70lbs

Pullups 2 x 8 @ BW - 70lbs
Deadliftz 2 x 8 @ 185lbs
BB Rows 2 x 8 @ 75lbs
DB Shruggies 1 x 10 @ 55lbs

Feeling better in my lifts. Everything will be upped next week. Fixed my form on deadlift. Sumo Stance = much easier when you're 6'4.

Sleep's been great. I think I've actually been sleeping a lil too much.

Diet is better today. I've been in a really cruddy mood the past couple days and just kinda holed up in the apartment. I got a lot of food from the grocery store though, so I'll be set.

I checked my weight, and was 172lbs today with all my stuff on. I'll try to keep using the same workout clothes to keep it as accurate as possible.

Still smoking. D'oh.

TheCommander
01-19-2006, 10:14 PM
My legs = my weak link. Maybe it's due to years of not training them?

Squats

45 x 10
95 x 5
125 x 8
125 x 8

Leg Curls

35 x 8
35 x 8

SLDL

95 x 8
95 x 8

Calf raises

Unsure on the weight. Just left a 45 on the stack and went to town

4 sets of 10

I'm going to stay at these weights for next week also to improve form. I feel like I'm going to parallel on squats. I want to go deeper. Didn't work leg press in. Leg's still pretty wobbly and still need to have walking ability. Will shoot to add those back in next week.

Diet's getting much better.

Weight today = 175.5

I like this. Must eat more.

Sleep was great last night. Sleep will suck tonight. It's 11:15pm, and I've got an assload of homework to do by tomorrow. I hope to get done in time to get some sleep.

Looking forward to more upper body workouts. Those are more fun until my legs are used to working again.

imageD
01-19-2006, 10:37 PM
what is a "deadliftz"????

just ****tin ya! :lol:

TheCommander
01-19-2006, 10:44 PM
i r liek t3h oMg!1?

http://may0rnagin.ytmnd.com/

Check that out while you're at it. I love Mayor Nagin. He's so crazy.

In other news:

I'm paranoid about being robbed. I'm paranoid enough as it is.

I've been involved with NA (narcotics anonymous) for a good 6 months. One of the old members that's been out on a relapse the past month and a half has robbed a few people. Hope he don't look to get anything out of me, unless he likes a broken face. It's tempting to call up some old shady boys and go wreck shop. lol

But alas, it's a new day and age and the days of beating people into a pulp are over.

On the bright side, Saturday I'm celebrating 5 months of sobriety. It's a short time, yet such a long time for me. I'm going to a down about 30 minutes south of me for a pro arenacross race with two of my buddies to celebrate. I'm hoping this'll get me jonesing to go ride and I'll get my bike back together. The engine seems to be in separate little pieces.

TheCommander
01-20-2006, 12:32 AM
Pics. Check em out. I'm the skinny. w00t.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=1278382#post1278382

TheCommander
01-21-2006, 02:24 PM
Seated Military Press

2 x 8 - 75lbs

Seated DB press

2 x 8 - 30lbs

DB lateral

2 x 10 - 12.5lbs

CGBP

2 x 8 - 75lbs

Pushdown w/ v-bar

2 x 8 - 50lbs

BB Curls

2 x 8 - 55lbs

Hammer curls

1 x 10 - 25lbs

Decline crunches

4 x 10

Sleep and diet got all kinds of jacked.

Thursday night I was awake all night due to procrastination and me having to write a paper and finish some homework.

I came home after class at about 1 on Friday, and slept till 11:30 PM. I woke up, took a couple benedryll and passed back out at 1:00 AM. Woke up today at around noon.

Therefore I spent a good 24 hours without food.

At the gym I weighed 174, without eating after 24 hours, and pretty dang dehydrated.

I've gotta go stuff my face. I'm starved.

TheCommander
01-23-2006, 06:31 PM
The work

DB Bench Press - 2 x 8 - 50lbs
DB Incline - 2 x 8 - 45lbs
Dips - 2 x 8 - BW-60lbs

Pullups - 2 x 8 BW-60lbs
Deadlift 1 x 8 135lbs
2 x 8 205lbs
BB Row - 2 x 8 - 95lbs
DB Shrugs - 1 x 10 - 55lbs

I really liked today's workout. I felt like I had really good intensity. I feel like I'm making good progress on my strength. It's coming back a lot quicker than I expected.

I'm going to aim for 225 on deads next week. The new form feels great and I feel like I can pull a lot more.

Sleep has been so-so, diet's been hanging steady at so-so. Need to eat more. It's never enough.

Weighed 174 at the gym.

TheCommander
01-25-2006, 06:17 AM
ATF Squats

45 x 10 warmup
95 x 6 warmup
125 x 8
125 x 8

45 degree leg press

1 pps 2 x 8 (shaddup)

Leg Curl

2 x 8 - 35lbs

SLDL

2 x 8 - 115lbs

Standing calf

4 x 10 - 1 plate + 25lb

This felt like a really good workout. I'm very pleased with squats. Calves feel better too. First leg workout so far that it didn't feel like my legs were going to die.

In other news, I've been awake since noon yesterday. I didn't get started on my homework until midnight, got done at like 4 AM, and if I would have gone to bed I wouldn't wake up today. This truly blows. College + rest = hard to achieve. I'm going to 'try' to stay up until 6 or 7 PM and then get a very long night's sleep and catch back up. My sleep schedule has been gay.

Weight at gym was 178lbs. I like this. Must eat more.

TheCommander
01-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Zomg t3h effortz!

BB Military press
2 x 8 - 85lbs

DB Military press

2 x 8 - 35lbs

Lateral raises

2 x 10 - 15lbs

CGBP

2 x 8 - 85lbs

Pressdown w/ v-bar

2 x 8 - 60lbs

BB Curl

2 x 8 - 65lbs

Hammer Curls

1 x 10 - 25lbs

Diet sucks, sleeping too much. Must eat more

176lbs

TheCommander
01-30-2006, 06:19 AM
The work:

Bench press warm up

45lbs x 15

DB Bench Press

60lbs 1 x 8
60lbs 1 x 6

Incline DB Press

50lbs 1 x 6
50lbs 1 x 4

Dips
BW 1 x 5
BW 1 x 4

Pullups

BW 1 x 3
BW 1 x 3

Deadlift

135lbs - 1x8
225lbs - 1x8
245lbs - 1x8

Barbell Row

115lbs - 2x8

DB Shrugs

60lbs - 1x10

Oh jeez I am spent. I'm pleased with my lifts though.

Today is a cruddy day. I was up all night, again, studying for a history test. My sleep schedule is royally screwed. I went down to Norman on Saturday for an NA convention and didn't get back till 4:30 AM. I woke up Sunday at 3 PM and have been awake every since. This blows.

I have 7 hours of class today. Someone shoot me. Please.

Diet has been awful. Sleep is awful.

I've got a plan though. Today is a new week, and new beginnings. I'm hitting the weights hard, so it's time to hit everything else hard too.

I'm done with class today at 4:20 at the latest. I'll be awake till then, and can go to bed shortly after. If all works, I'll wake up tomorrow morning refreshed and caught up on my sleep. I've got to get on a schedule. I've got to eat.

I weighed 173 at the gym this morning, after a major pissfest due to all the Mt. Dew/coffee I've ingested, and my colon's version of shock and awe.

Tomorrow after I rest I'm going to pick up a ton of bottled water, and some whey protein.

I'm shooting to get caught up on all the BS I need to by Thursday, and hopefully get back to work on my bike outside of my schedule. The tracks will be opening up soon and I'm dying to ride.

Wish me the best in my sleep deprived day. I think I'm going to take a nap in my 8:30 chem class. ;)

Clifford Gillmore
01-30-2006, 07:22 AM
Awesome to see dedication to your dedication to your goals, albiet taking some fun detours :)

TheCommander
01-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Haha, thanks risk. Detours are definately the spice of life.

I survived my lectures okay, but skipped my lab. I can skip two labs without hurting my grades, and since my eyes wouldn't stay open, I went home to take a nap.

My chest and back, especially my traps, feel great. :thumbup:

Started taking my zyban again to shoot for quitting again in a week. I got so out of breath and lightheaded after deads it was sad. Stupid smoking.

It's my bedtime!

TheCommander
01-31-2006, 04:31 PM
It's time for some goals to shoot for with my lifting.

I want to do the following for reps...

205lb ATF squat
315lb deads
70lb DB Bench press
135lb Military
50lb DB shoulder press
95lb BB curls
2 sets of 8 for pullups and dips at BW
And 3pps for leg press with full ROM

Some of these will come quickly I think, others not so quickly. I hate the fact my legs are so weakzor. At least I work them tomorrow!

TheCommander
02-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Yesterday evening I seem to come down with the black death. My body feels like it's going to explode.

TheCommander
02-03-2006, 12:16 AM
I haven't felt this sick in a very long time. It's awful.

I stayed in bed from Tuesday night until today, Thursday.

I was feeling like I could actually move today and I thought my fever was gone, so I went to the doc. Still have a fever of 102 and a nice case of the flu.

Aches and joint pains are the suck

TheCommander
02-06-2006, 09:16 PM
It's now Monday, and I feel tons better. I was sick as a dog!:bang:

I'm developing bronchitis and a sinus infection as a result of Mr. Flu. Went to the doctor today to get some antibiotics to get it zapped out quick and back to 100%.

Current plan of action is to take this week off from the gym and let my body heal. If I'm good to go and everything is cleared up, I'll hit the weights in a week.

TheCommander
02-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Hooray for inconsistancy!!

I took that week off and was feeling good. The next week I spent a little too much time putting my bike back together. I hit the track last Wednesday and I'm in awful shape.

I'm shifting my focus a little for functionality. I'm planning on racing the state series and would like to do well.

In other great news, my bronchitis is acting up again and it sucks. I'm going to give it another day or two and hopefully avoid another round of antibiotics.

I've got to quit smoking.