PDA

View Full Version : Do you think meatballs are bad to eat?

mr_hand
01-08-2002, 10:23 AM
I would assume they would be a good source of protein. Its basically just ground beef. What do you guys think? Wouldnt a small meal of spaghetti and meatballs be a nice mixture of carbs and protein, and some fat from the beef?

Tryska
01-08-2002, 10:27 AM
depends on how the meatballs are made to be honest.

if they truly are just meat, then yeah, it's all good, but sometimes they are made with ground beef and sauasage, will increase the fat content, or additional filler is added (usualy some sort of carb) which will throw off the macro count a bit, that kind of thing.

but if they are homemade and your know what's in them, nope..i don't think they are bad at all.

actually spaghetti and meatballs sounds really good to me right now.

mr_hand
01-08-2002, 10:28 AM
Then thats a good thing. My mama makes the best meatballs around.

IceRgrrl
01-08-2002, 10:39 AM
Mmmmm...meatballs. If you make them with lean ground meat, oatmeal/wheat bread crumbs as the "filler," and egg whites to hold them together, they are pretty healthy. At restaurants or with pre-packaged meatballs, it's a mystery what's in there...

If your mom makes good meatballs, I'd say enjoy! :)

syntekz
01-08-2002, 11:03 AM
A lot of sauces are filled with sugar though, aren't they?

Might want to be careful with that.

IceRgrrl
01-08-2002, 11:33 AM
Not homemade sauce...:D

body
01-08-2002, 11:41 AM
factory meatballs are normally quite high in fat and saturates as a fatty meat adds texture and taste to the product as well as making it easier to process and hold together. low fat ones often have to have stabilisers to help hold the meat togehter. I think meatballs often have rusk(60% carbs) or breadcrumbs or other starch in them as well.
As for sugar syntek - quite a lot of meatballs come in tomato sauce that will be high in sugar and soduim.