PDA

View Full Version : Too much tuna. Good or bad?

bayer1
01-09-2006, 02:00 AM
I've heard that eating too much tuna fish could be a bad thing? true, false? I was thinking about increasing my protein intake through more consumption of tuna. Is too much tuna bad?

TechMetalMan
01-11-2006, 07:00 PM
I've heard that it can cause mercury poisoning---but I don't know for sure.

crazyaoshi
01-11-2006, 10:48 PM
T-nation has a good article on tuna.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-148-diet

PeterParker
01-24-2006, 05:50 PM
i wouldnt worry about it
if u are- then switch fish sources

lilmase1153
01-26-2006, 01:41 AM
Man I hope i dont get mercury poisoning but Ive been eating 10 12oz cans a week for the last 3 weeks and I have not had any problems (So far)

I love tuna I make everything with tuna, MacNcheese and tuna, Tuna with light mayo and crumble in some saltines, tuna and rice, tuna and eggs, Tuna sandwhiches... Oh im gonna go have some now

tigo
01-26-2006, 02:55 AM
nice article

and yea tuna kicks ass.. i eat 2 cans a day cuz its hard to get that high of protein levels besides chugging 4 shakes when you live in a dorm.. next year when i move out it'll be bulk tuna from costco :D

Ruffian
01-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Ok, first off the only way you will get mercury poisening from Tuna is if the fish was rerieved from mercury rich waters. Even if there is trace amounts of mercury you would have to be eating a TON of tuna, probably two or three times what you are eating now in order to get poisoning. My boyfriend is an avid lifter and eats as much tuna as he can get (personally I hate the stuff- I love salmon) but perhaps a little variety wouldnt hurt. But anyway just to rest your nervousness, you would have to eat a ton more tuna than you are or eat contaminated tuna to get mercury poisening.

I say just keep going for it, but there are lots of other options for protein... Things such as beef, and other forms of fish.. Perhaps just to keep you from becoming sick of tuna you should try a little variety ;)

majorBRAWNtres
02-27-2006, 07:01 PM
eating too much tuna for a prolonged period of time does raise the mecury level in your blood but if once a month you take a week or soo off of tuna then youll be garenteed nothing to go wrong

DumbDude
02-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Ok, first off the only way you will get mercury poisening from Tuna is if the fish was rerieved from mercury rich waters. Even if there is trace amounts of mercury you would have to be eating a TON of tuna, probably two or three times what you are eating now in order to get poisoning. My boyfriend is an avid lifter and eats as much tuna as he can get (personally I hate the stuff- I love salmon) but perhaps a little variety wouldnt hurt. But anyway just to rest your nervousness, you would have to eat a ton more tuna than you are or eat contaminated tuna to get mercury poisening.
I say just keep going for it, but there are lots of other options for protein... Things such as beef, and other forms of fish.. Perhaps just to keep you from becoming sick of tuna you should try a little variety ;)
Did you just read that T-Nation article? Oh yeah and alot of it has to do with the size of the fish... the big ones eat the smaller ones and so on.... the more little fish the big one eats the more mercury there is going to be in the big fish :) You are smart to eat salmon. I buy $3 cans of the pink salmon from alaska. 84grams of protien a can. Significantly less mercury.
Want to know what is safe? try using this http://www.gotmercury.org/

elbertj12
12-22-2008, 01:39 PM
I've heard that eating too much tuna fish could be a bad thing? true, false? I was thinking about increasing my protein intake through more consumption of tuna. Is too much tuna bad?
true I ate to much and got mercury posioning. I ate it everyday 2 to 3 times day because of the protein. about 4 weeks later I started feeling funny stomach problems and headaches dizziness. I stoped eating the tuna in about 2wks I felt better all problems went away. I advise eat it 2 times a week. mercury stays in the body day after day of eating tuna it builds.

footballer13
12-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Did you just read that T-Nation article? Oh yeah and alot of it has to do with the size of the fish... the big ones eat the smaller ones and so on.... the more little fish the big one eats the more mercury there is going to be in the big fish :) You are smart to eat salmon. I buy $3 cans of the pink salmon from alaska. 84grams of protien a can. Significantly less mercury.
Want to know what is safe? try using this http://www.gotmercury.org/

I find it hard to believe that at 193 pounds, eating 4 ounces of Grouper will put me over 100% mercury exposure.

Progress
12-25-2008, 09:02 PM
This is a really old thread, but I'm going to put this link in here for reference.

Go toward the bottom of the page:

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=313

primopup
02-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Tuna is GOOD- too many injections with mercury in them...BADD!!

Aarond88
05-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Its a loads of bull. i have been eating 3 tins of tuna a day Monday to Friday for 3 years. That is all i eat and i havnt had any problems yet.