PDA

View Full Version : Ok guys, So what about Cardio?

TechMetalMan
01-09-2006, 03:57 PM
What do you guys think about cardio workouts in between your lifting?

This is my plan:

I am currently 17 yoa, 138 lbs and 5 foot 7 inches. I have started pretty seriously lifting for about 2-3 months. I want to get bigger as I have seen gains so far and I love it. I have a few friends who are also serious (and have been for longer than me) who support me.

So I lift 3-4 times a week to build mass (high weight in the 6-8 rep range).

My mom is telling me I need cardio more but I think if I take a break from lifting every 4 weeks and do cardio for a week it should be sufficient.

What do you guys think?

I am weary of doing cardio between during days of rest because I have a decently fast metabolism and I don't want to rob body-building nutrients and proteins from getting to my muscles.

Built
01-09-2006, 03:58 PM
You walk around at all? Yes? Then you don't need any dedicated cardio.

Okay?

TechMetalMan
01-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Ha.

So if I walk I don't need cardio?

I walk plenty as I go to a large high school.

ROMANMAN
01-09-2006, 04:25 PM
#1 rule of lifting weights- Never listen to youre mom unless shes Built.
Cardio isnt important unless youre either cutting and want to eat more or are training for a marathon.

TechMetalMan
01-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Haha allright guys.

I think she is just referring to making sure my cholesterol is down (as high cholesterol runs in the family).

Will lifting basically take care of this?

Thanks guys!

ROMANMAN
01-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Cholestrol is mainly about diet not cardio I believe. At 17 I wouldnt be too worried about that though.

Built
01-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Lifting and diet brought this old ladie's cholesterol down from "high enough to medicate" to "enviably low".

It was HIGH in my "running 10k 3x a week" days.

Don't worry about your cholesterol, okay?

TechMetalMan
01-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Thanks guys and gals!

Paul Stagg
01-09-2006, 05:12 PM
A little cardio won't hurt you, it can help keep you conditioned, and is good for your heart (which at 17 isn't a big deal, but at 37 can be)

Do some looking for 'GPP' and 'HIIT'.

Until you are 18, you have to listen to your mom. If you don't, I might come visit.

Nobody wants that.

Anthony
01-09-2006, 05:24 PM
A little cardio won't hurt you, it can help keep you conditioned, and is good for your heart (which at 17 isn't a big deal, but at 37 can be)

Do some looking for 'GPP' and 'HIIT'.

:withstupi

I used to be in the boat that said "cardio" wasn't required, but that's long gone. Is it required to get low body fat? No. Is it required to have your blood work numbers come back positive? No. Is it required to feel like you're in the best shape of your damn life? Absolutely. The problem is, most people think of "cardio" as running on a treadmill like a hamster. It doesn't have to be this way. Like Paul said, look into GPP, HIIT, and Crossfit and you'll find some awesome workouts that will improve your conditioning AND be fun.

Patz
01-09-2006, 05:29 PM
:withstupi :withstupi

I agree with both of them. Do you really wanna have a strong body, and a weak heart when you're older? Weak lungs? Inefficient circulation?

TechMetalMan
01-09-2006, 05:40 PM
GPP? HIIT?

I have a bike at home. It is called a recumbent bike I believe---its stationary and you can increase resistance and it has like 30 minute sets. I thought about using this but I don't know when to do this to minimize hurting my gains.

Anthony
01-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Search these forums for "GPP" and "HIIT" ... you will find TONS of info.

Built
01-09-2006, 05:59 PM
:withstupi :withstupi

I agree with both of them. Do you really wanna have a strong body, and a weak heart when you're older? Weak lungs? Inefficient circulation?

I'm older, and I have none of these problems.

I do very little cardio, outside of walking around, which the OP is doing on his large school campus.

Davidelmo
01-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Im gonna say something slightly different.

I think cardio is a good idea, SO LONG AS YOU GET EXTRA CALORIES.

Improve your breathing, heart, circulation, oxygen transport etc with cardio and it should benefit your weight lifting too. All of those new muscle need blood and oxygen and all of those grams of protein need to reach their targets so strengthening your cardiovascular system will help.

So long as you eat more to cover what you burn from cardio, there's nothing wrong with it.

For the first time ever I'm gonna disagree with Built because I dont think just walking around is sufficient. I do tons of walking (walk dog twice a day, walk everywhere at uni etc) but a few months ago I struggled to complete 1000m on a rowing machine. I started doing some cardio and I've now got my endurance up AND im still making good gains in the gym. It's just more effort, thats all.

Built
01-09-2006, 06:02 PM
NP davidelmo - people seem to respond to cardio in very different ways - I do too much, and I just get soft and fat.

But even with the limited cardio that I do, I can hop on my bicycle and HAMMER all over Vancouver for three hours and not feel a thing the next day. And I may only do this once a month. The heavy lifting and semi-regular walks I do seem to be more than sufficient to keep my cardiovascular endurance up.

Davidelmo
01-09-2006, 06:06 PM
I just found the weight lifting made me more "unfit" in terms of endurance.

I guess mr techmetalman just needs to try and find out. If his gains suffer, then he can cut the cardio and save it for when he cuts. :)

Built
01-09-2006, 06:09 PM
It does seem to be extremely individual. I couldn't agree more on the eating, though - do it if you find it helpful, but be sure to feed it on a bulk so you don't go into caloric deficit.

Davidelmo
01-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Got a 2kg bag of peanuts sitting right here :cool:

Kayo
01-09-2006, 06:18 PM
i feel more energetic and stronger the more i do cardio

Anthony
01-09-2006, 06:20 PM
But even with the limited cardio that I do, I can hop on my bicycle and HAMMER all over Vancouver for three hours and not feel a thing the next day. And I may only do this once a month. The heavy lifting and semi-regular walks I do seem to be more than sufficient to keep my cardiovascular endurance up.

I know you're always up for a challenge, so let's see what you got!!

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=73048

:ninja: :windup:

Built
01-09-2006, 06:22 PM
You jest.

My laziness is legendary.

Built
01-09-2006, 06:27 PM
You're kidding, right? Every woman I know works waaaay too hard at cardio. I'm trying to bust that mold. Oh, look at the time - gotta go get in my nap ...

Anthony
01-09-2006, 06:30 PM
That's because they do the wrong kind. I'm not doubting you're in great shape, but I disagree that "cardio" combined with weight training and proper diet will make someone small and soft. Just like someone needs to train right and eat right to see good results, cardio needs to be done properly for the same effect. I'm also not suggesting it for fat loss ... simply for improved conditioning and athleticism.

Bob
01-09-2006, 06:35 PM
I know this is the only subject I disagree with Built on..
But you gotta have some... some more then walking...
Just find the most fun and intense you can.. B-Ball.. Crossfit.. Hiking.. Rowing.. etc..
as long as you keeping the heavy lifting..

dw06wu
01-09-2006, 06:47 PM
That's because they do the wrong kind. I'm not doubting you're in great shape, but I disagree that "cardio" combined with weight training and proper diet will make someone small and soft. Just like someone needs to train right and eat right to see good results, cardio needs to be done properly for the same effect. I'm also not suggesting it for fat loss ... simply for improved conditioning and athleticism.
She just meant that when she does too much, which is actually pretty easy to do, she gets soft and fat. Happened to me a while ago when I did way too much cardio, not enough food, and overtraining in the gym. It ****ing sucks.

On your side though, yeah, the proper amount of cardio will not create this type of problem. Which would be around 20-30 mins a day of steady state or 10-20 mins of HIIT, or some sort of crossfit type gpp workout.

Built
01-09-2006, 07:09 PM
I really don't think you ever need more cardio than walking. It's the one form of "regular cardio" that doesn't seem to mess me up.

cphafner
01-09-2006, 07:15 PM
#1 rule of lifting weights- Never listen to youre mom unless shes Built.
Cardio isnt important unless youre either cutting and want to eat more or are training for a marathon.

I don't agree with that at all. Cardio will help your endurance, which can help your lifting. I would consider doing low intensity cardio a couple of times a week.

cphafner
01-09-2006, 07:16 PM
I really don't think you ever need more cardio than walking. It's the one form of "regular cardio" that doesn't seem to mess me up.

Thats what I'm talking about.

Built
01-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Yep. Nice pleasant recreational activity, and you don't need any special equipment. Hubby and I go for a walk most evenings. It's when we talk.

brickt.
01-09-2006, 07:26 PM
I do about and hour and a half worth of dedicated walking a week as my 'cardio.' I only do it for my fitness and recovery, not for the cal wasting. If I ever get to the position where I'm dieting for a show, I might think about cardio for other purposes then, but even so, the calorie is still king.

TechMetalMan
01-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Thanks everyone...I will be trying some cycling when my legs recover.

I also dig playing tennis so that may come into play....