PDA

View Full Version : What's some GPP I can do while at the gym?

Patz
01-09-2006, 04:49 PM
My gym has all the typical gym stuff, and an aerobics room that I THINK has a wood floor. I've heard tale that they have jump ropes in there..lol.

Are there arny forms of GPP I can come up with while at the gym? Or am I gonna have to buy a sledge hammer?

I'm tired of getting back fatigue while working on my car, or walking through wal-mart and carrying the little basket.

drew
01-09-2006, 05:00 PM
This is an article written by Alwyn Cosgrove on conditioning for MMA athletes. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/mma2.htm

I do something like he outlines every now and then just to change things up. It's fun and it kicks your ass. At your level, I would try this program out with just the bar. I usually do it with 95 and it killed me the first couple of tmies.

Anthony
01-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Crossfit is GPP. Try today's workout:

5 chinups
10 pushups
15 squats

As many rounds as you can in 20 minutes.

Anthony
01-09-2006, 05:02 PM
I've done the complexes drew pointed out after 5-10 minutes of HIIT and they are pretty good too.

Maki Riddington
01-09-2006, 05:08 PM
There is an endless variety you can do. You can do non weighted GPP or weighted GPP or a combo.

Example:

Non Weighted

Push Ups
Skip Rope
Chin Ups

Weighted

Front Chops (with dumbbell)
Front Squat
Medicine Ball Wall Pass

Combo

Chin Ups
Deadlift into Mountain Climbers

Paul Stagg
01-09-2006, 05:09 PM
There are other things you can do for GPP.

Turkish get ups
Load/unload the leg press machine
Farmers walks
Medicine ball throws

Hell, even circuit training might qualify, right?

Patz
01-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the ideas, guys. I can to about 3 chin-ups..lol, so that part is out, but some of this stuff I know I can hang with.

ROFL..I wonder what they'd say if they saw me loading and unloading the leg press over and over as fast as I can..OMG

Anthony
01-09-2006, 05:20 PM
I did a GPP session where I rearranged all the weights in the gym. It was pretty boring, I wouldn't recommend it. Do something that allows you to "compete" with yourself ... a timed event or a certain number of reps/sets. It will keep your focus and allow you to track progress easier.

Patz
01-09-2006, 05:23 PM
The free weight area at my gym is a ghost town after 7pm (when I go), so I could probably get away with just about anything.lol

Maki Riddington
01-09-2006, 05:34 PM
One workout I had a client perform was simliar to Anthony's. I had him take all the 45 pound plates off the cage and put them on the leg press, then take them off and put them back on the cage. This was after doing some heavy squats. I had him do three sets. Each time he had to beat his previous time or else I had him do more work.

Davidelmo
01-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the ideas, guys. I can to about 3 chin-ups..lol, so that part is out

On the contrary, why not practice them until you can do more! :D :D

dw06wu
01-09-2006, 06:40 PM
So true, just do as many as you can. Or, you could get a box or two and use your feet or a buddy to assist. Those crossfits are mean, they will whip you into shape real quick.

Patz
01-09-2006, 08:34 PM

Or, I could do alternate GPP stuff, drop 20-30lbs and be where I SHOULD be, and be able to do all sorts of chins and pullups! ;)

MixmasterNash
01-09-2006, 09:14 PM
GPP != fat loss

trich daddy
01-11-2006, 11:53 AM
One workout I had a client perform was simliar to Anthony's. I had him take all the 45 pound plates off the cage and put them on the leg press, then take them off and put them back on the cage. This was after doing some heavy squats. I had him do three sets. Each time he had to beat his previous time or else I had him do more work.

I would promptly fire you for a move like that : :)

ShockBoxer
01-11-2006, 12:54 PM
GPP != fat loss

Wouldn't it = fat loss if it pushed you to a caloric deficit?

Hatred
01-11-2006, 02:41 PM
You could rearrange all the equipment.

Shove members around.

Knock out a fat person and drag them.

Hold the fire extinguishers above your head and run around.

stack all the 45's you can find.

Steal others' shoes with a 45 taped to your ass.

MixmasterNash
01-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Wouldn't it = fat loss if it pushed you to a caloric deficit?

Anything can be if you're operating at a deficit, though not necessarily.

GPP is conditioning that can be used for cutting.