PDA

View Full Version : Which gatorde is the good kind for you (if there is one)

WBBIRL
01-11-2006, 05:57 PM
I think I remember hearing that one type of it (powerder or pre mixed) is better then the other, because one has a whole lot more sugars in it or something. I have some that you mix on your own and I seem to like it, so its probably bad for me lol.

wheels
01-11-2006, 06:09 PM
look at the nuitrient guidelines should tell yo the amount of sugar per serving

it also depends on how dilluded the mixer is (ie amout of water per scoop of gatorade )

so id think that the mix would be better because you control the amout of water

brickt.
01-11-2006, 06:14 PM
You want powdered gatorade. But, duder, just buy straight dextrose supermarket/brewery/online/health stores (it could be called dextrose or glucose - same **** tho)

Built
01-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Strait malto is good to mix in with the dex half and half, too. You can sometimes find malto sold as a beer conditioner called brew body.

I get mine from a U-brew, and my dex from SuperStore in the beer and wine kit aisle.

WBBIRL
01-11-2006, 06:43 PM
So dont drink gatorade at all and buy dextrose?? How much better is it for you, how does it taste????

Utopianhopes
01-11-2006, 06:59 PM
So dont drink gatorade at all and buy dextrose?? How much better is it for you, how does it taste????

lol...it corn sugar.

I usually take a protein shake and add dextrose (corn sugar) during workouts and I eat protein and fast acting carbs post workout. The rest of the days I eat proteins and fats. As I am cutting and my carbs are limited around my workout.

http://www.muscletech.com/NUTRITION/HIGH_PERFORMANCE_NUTRITION/ISSUE_2/index.shtml

Good Article on it.

Credit: Goes to built she informed me on all this.

brickt.
01-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Dextrose is alot cheaper than gatorade, it doesn't have a 'taste' it's just sweet. If you add it to your Chocolate Whey, it makes an almost chocolate milkshake.

brickt.
01-11-2006, 08:28 PM
lol...it corn sugar.

I usually take a protein shake and add dextrose (corn sugar) during workouts and I eat protein and fast acting carbs post workout. The rest of the days I eat proteins and fats. As I am cutting and my carbs are limited around my workout.

http://www.muscletech.com/NUTRITION/HIGH_PERFORMANCE_NUTRITION/ISSUE_2/index.shtml

Good Article on it.

Credit: Goes to built she informed me on all this.

If your cutting, I'd much rather use food as my pre and post carbs, than sugar, but whatever floats your boat.

Remember, you don't NEED fast carbs after working out in order to grow. I use oats and I haven't died yet.

Utopianhopes
01-11-2006, 08:52 PM
If your cutting, I'd much rather use food as my pre and post carbs, than sugar, but whatever floats your boat.

Never stated I used all my carbs as sugar. Just stated I put dextrose in my protein shake.

Remember, you don't NEED fast carbs after working out in order to grow. I use oats and I haven't died yet.

Depends, if your a casual lifter. Then none of this really matter.

Eh..no hard feelings, yo.

crazyaoshi
01-11-2006, 08:59 PM
I asked before and didn't get a clear answer so here it is one more time. For those of us who don't have U-brews and no stores sell glucose [at a reasonable price, here it's an elitist health food and therefore about $10/lb or more], is malt extract that same thing as maltodextrin/maltose? And whatever it is, is it better or worse than gatorade to add to whey protein post workout, which is what I do now. Thanks again, sorry to keep asking the same thing.

Utopianhopes
01-11-2006, 09:33 PM
I asked before and didn't get a clear answer so here it is one more time. For those of us who don't have U-brews and no stores sell glucose [at a reasonable price, here it's an elitist health food and therefore about $10/lb or more], is malt extract that same thing as maltodextrin/maltose? And whatever it is, is it better or worse than gatorade to add to whey protein post workout, which is what I do now. Thanks again, sorry to keep asking the same thing.

It a combination of glucose, maltodextrin, and dextrose. Actually better then dextrose alone. Make sure to be catious with the quality.

brickt.
01-11-2006, 10:32 PM
I would take dex PWO if it gave me optimal results, but I find I progress/feel better with slow GI. An hour after a dex shake I'm sleepy as ****, stomach is bloated, and I feel like ass.

No hard feelings, good convo.

getfit
01-11-2006, 10:38 PM
i always buy powdered gatorade, i'm fine with it

Hatred
01-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Strait malto is good to mix in with the dex half and half, too. You can sometimes find malto sold as a beer conditioner called brew body.

I get mine from a U-brew, and my dex from SuperStore in the beer and wine kit aisle.
Bunch of Alcoholics up there, eh?

Shao-LiN
01-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Never stated I used all my carbs as sugar. Just stated I put dextrose in my protein shake.

Depends, if your a casual lifter. Then none of this really matter.

Eh..no hard feelings, yo.

You still don't NEED dextrose if you're more than casual lifter. You don't NEED any supplements.

WBBIRL
01-12-2006, 07:36 PM
So sorta back on topic, what is dex and how does it stack up to powdered gatorade???

I think sticking to gatorade may be a good choice, unless dex is like gatorade without sugars.

Built
01-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Dex is dextrose, the right sugar for post workout. Gatorade is mostly dex, but more expensive, and liquid gatorade has too much fructose in it.

Just get dextrose.

WBBIRL
01-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Will try, but if gatorade is more easily attainable I may just stick with it.

Do you know where to get it online because Im ordering 20LBs of 100 % ON whey from all sportsnutrition.com

Ill check out GNC and see what they have.

Built
01-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Supp stores almost never sell dex.

I'm telling you - U-brew. The stuff's cheap, too.

WBBIRL
01-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Theres no U brew stores around here.. unless U-brew is the product name. Would the local beer distributor have it ????

Built
01-12-2006, 07:55 PM
No.

I'm sure there are online places you can google though.

Any place that sells beer and wine making supplies sells dextrose.

HardToSquat
01-13-2006, 06:29 AM
You can buy a 4 pound tub of powdered Gatorade at Sam's Club or Costco for around $7.

Utopianhopes
01-13-2006, 07:53 AM
Will try, but if gatorade is more easily attainable I may just stick with it.

Do you know where to get it online because Im ordering 20LBs of 100 % ON whey from all sportsnutrition.com

Ill check out GNC and see what they have.

The local supplement stores around my area don't sell it, might be because it dirt cheap.

Shao-LiN: Your right.

crazyaoshi
01-13-2006, 08:05 AM
I mixed malt extract into my shake for after tomorrow's workout. I tasted a tiny bit and it was indeed sweet, like malted milk shakes when I was a child. Anyway after I shook it and poured it into my bottle for tomorrow something was a bit clumpy. I hope whatever it is dissolves by tomorrow afternoon.

Relentless
01-13-2006, 08:20 AM
you can also usually buy dextrose at bulk food stores (Bulk Barn, etc.)

twisteddendrite
01-13-2006, 08:44 AM
I'm assuming you are wanting electrolyte replacement?
Sugars won't do that.
I would look for a sports drink that had lower sodium than Gatoraide and more potassium.

Built
01-13-2006, 09:12 AM
I mixed malt extract into my shake for after tomorrow's workout. I tasted a tiny bit and it was indeed sweet, like malted milk shakes when I was a child. Anyway after I shook it and poured it into my bottle for tomorrow something was a bit clumpy. I hope whatever it is dissolves by tomorrow afternoon.

Malt extract isn't malto.

Maki Riddington
01-13-2006, 09:21 AM
liquid gatorade has too much fructose in it.

How much fructose in Gatorade is deemed too much?

Built
01-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Well, put it this way - you're taking it for the dex, right? Why pay for the fructose when you could just eat a piece of fruit instead?

Maki Riddington
01-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Depends on how much fructose is in Gatorade.

Utopianhopes
01-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Would this also depend on what OP purpose of taking gatorade?... I would think sport drinks are not optimal for taking during workout as it has no protein. It would be best used for rapid rehydration during some sort of cardio activity (sports, running, etc..).

brickt.
01-13-2006, 02:47 PM
I think myself (and Built) believe that the OP wants the gatorade for the dextrose it contains.

Thus, to the OP, either: Buy straight dextrose, or buy powdered gatorade. Liquid gatorade is like 90% fructose, and that just defeats the whole purpose.

WBBIRL
01-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Im more in it for the hydration and electrolites then anything else. Mainly so I dont have to drink much more then a gallon of water per day, that and gatoraide is alittle easier to drink then water.

crazyaoshi
01-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Malt extract isn't malto.

I know, but according to an atricle I read thanks to Utopianhopes:

"Of course, Insulin (Humulin) and IGF-1 are very effective Creatine transporters. Though Dextrose is an excellent trigger for Insulin release there is a higher glycemic carbohydrate. Malt extracts contain a mixture of maltodextrins, glucose, and dextrose which are made of glucose chains of 3-7 gycosyl units."

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/author22.htm

Anyway by the time I used it it had nicely dissolved. So I'll try it for awhile and see if my results change. Whatever the case, it's a tiny bit cheaper than Gatorade.

Built
01-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Gotcha

TOBART
01-14-2006, 06:29 PM
WBBIRL, gatorade powder has quite a few calories. I don't have mine handy but I think its around 100 cals per cup if you mix it to their recommendation.

Now if you just want a post workout drink to go with creatine, just buy a big bag of dextrose (<$10 for a few pounds) this should last a few years. Then buy a container of gatorade powder for a few bucks. I can make a small container of gatorade last a year, I just put enough in to add some flavour to my dex/ creatine mix, otherwise it would just taste like sugar mixed with water.

Sorry, you never really mentioned anything about creatine, but I'll just throw this all out there anyways.

Built
01-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Hey, it's the right time to take your creatine.

Another nice way to use dex is with lemon juice - lemonade!

Koolade powder works well, too.

WBBIRL
01-15-2006, 09:58 AM
An 8 oz serving of gatorade has 50 cals, I figured it out one day because I dont think they come out and say it by the oz. I never drink more then 16oz of the stuff in one day most times 8oz or less.

WBBIRL
09-15-2006, 01:51 PM
So im bumping my dead thread back to life.

I need to stay better hydrated and after so much drinking water becomes a pain in the rear.....

These store bought pre made gatorades have way to much sugars and what not. 35g of sugar in one 20 oz bottle.... which might not be super bad but when you consider I would drink 2-3 per day then thats an F load of sugar from just gatorade.

The dex thing sounds like a plan, just get some dex and throw it in with my whey.

teaturtle
09-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Koolaid with dex sounds good. I <3 koolaid :)

BCorn
09-17-2006, 09:03 PM
i think this has already been done in the past on another post but.........could soemone post the link to where to purchase the malto dextrose? i searched u brew as Built suggested with no luck....maybe i am just not recognizing it. thanks

MantiXX
09-18-2006, 02:08 PM
I buy 'dextrose' from the 'bulk food store'....

I add some to some gatorade powder to sip on during workouts (cant drink protein during workouts, will puke...LOL)...

Post workout, immediately, I add dextrose to a whey breezer protein flavoured drink and down it.....

Just the way I do it....

Peace out...

Al3X
09-19-2006, 01:01 PM
I can make a small container of gatorade last a year, I just put enough in to add some flavour to my dex/ creatine mix, otherwise it would just taste like sugar mixed with water.

So other than the obvious reason of staying hydrated, what other uses is their? Also, you take dex/creatine separate from your protein shake? I thought you just take it all in one shot?