PDA

View Full Version : Cutting

Blacbzkit2
01-15-2006, 05:27 PM
I weight about 180lbs and am looking to cut but i'm not looking to lose weight. I have successfully gone from about 160lbs-180lbs in 2 months, but have added some fat to my stomach and lower back. How do I cut but not lose more than 5lbs of weight. I don't want to weigh less than 175. How many reps should i do of exercises and how should i change my diet. I've been eating a lot of protein, about 150-200g per day and a lot of carbs. I do not eat more than 30g of fat per day and usually much less. I have began adding 10-15 minutes of cardio a day.

What else should I do and can you help answer some of those questions.

Thanks.

Built
01-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Your fats are FAR too low.

What are your current macros? Post up your average grams of protein, carb and fat, and average calories.

Do you know what your maintenance calories are?

Blacbzkit2
01-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Why should I eat more fats? Isn't the point of cutting to get rid of fat. Now i know you need Omega 6's and 9's to break down food or whatever but why should i eat foods with fat. And because you know more than me what are the "good" fats I should be eating.

Also i do not know what those calories are.

While I was bulking i was eating
3000 calories
150-200g protein
260g carbs
80-100g fat
no fruit or veggies :eek:

Now i'm looking to start eating
2200-2500 calories per day
150-200g protein
200g carbs
30g fat
apples and broccoli :mad:

Sidior
01-15-2006, 06:28 PM
read the stickies.... you are lucky someone like built is willing to try and help, but if your not willing to put in basic time reading up on the basics, you are wasting her time as well as anyone else trying to help

Built
01-15-2006, 06:43 PM
Why should I eat more fats? Isn't the point of cutting to get rid of fat. Now i know you need Omega 6's and 9's to break down food or whatever but why should i eat foods with fat. And because you know more than me what are the "good" fats I should be eating.

Fat doesn't make you fat - excess calories do.

Fats are satiating, good for endocrine support and test production, and keep insulin and blood sugar stable and low. (as you may already know, insulin is a storage hormone - it stores sugar as fat ... )

For good fats, read the sticky "what a bodybuilder eats". Basically, any natural fat is good.

Also i do not know what those calories are.

While I was bulking i was eating
3000 calories
150-200g protein
260g carbs
80-100g fat
no fruit or veggies :eek:

Eat your veggies! [/end mom]

Now i'm looking to start eating
2200-2500 calories per day
150-200g protein
200g carbs
30g fat
apples and broccoli :mad:

Okay, good start here.

Your diet, bulking or cutting, should be based on at least a gram of protein per pound LBM, at least a half a gram of fat per pound LBM, and the rest of your calories from whatever combination of protein, carb and fat satisfies.

To bulk, you eat MORE calories; to cut, you eat less.

How much less? Start with no lower than a 20% reduction.

So, if you maintain on 2500, you can drop your cals by 500, down to 2000.

If we assume you have 160 lbs LBM (I'm just guessing here, I don't know), you'll need at least 160g protein and 80g fat.You may well find that higher on both of these works better for you, but they're minimums. (I like my protein at 200g, and my fat at around 80g, and I only weigh 140 lbs - you'll find your levels)

Target starchy carbs to the meal before and the meal or two after you lift. Protein and fat with lower-carb fruits and veggies for all other meals.

Does this help?

Banshee Ben
01-15-2006, 07:01 PM
There's nothing special about fat calories. Everyone (not here, the media) condemn fat calories as the evil unit. Weight is excess calories period, protein and carbs are worth 4 calories per gram while fat is worth 9 calories per gram. So as far as weight only is concerned 750 grams of pure carbs like a bulk shake is the same as 333 grams of pure lovely fat. As muscles are concerned protein is #1 then fill out the rest to hit your calorie #

Blacbzkit2
01-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Wow thanks. I have read some things on this site but i had no idea that fat didnt cause fat, that it was just excess calories. Thanks for all your help I really do appreciate it.

I do have one last concern. If i for some reason eat too little will I lose muscle? I have always wondered if I do not eat enough or do too much cardio that i will be burning muscle rather than fat.

Built
01-15-2006, 10:07 PM
If you eat too little and/or you don't lift heavy, you'll lose too much muscle, correct.

And you're welcome.

deuce02
01-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Can anyone tell me where the what a body builder eats sticky is?

ArchAngel777
01-17-2006, 01:05 PM
A "sticky" is a slang term for a thread that is kept at the top of the forum list. So, you need to go through each subforum (hint:its about body building) to find the sticky. I could think of it being in only two sub forums, now go and find it my young padawan!

KingWilder
01-17-2006, 01:11 PM
It was in the Best of Diet and Nutrition Thread (sticky)

What a Bodybuilder Eats:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565