PDA

View Full Version : PWO shake = useless??

noahfor123
01-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Hey. I read this on another site and wanted to see what people here thought about it. I didn't write it. It's not my argument.

PWO cortisol levels can be any where in the 20-30 mcg/dl range (depeding on time of day and intensity). I don't see any possible way you can 'use' 100g of dextose, as with cortisol levels in that range, you won't secret insulin (not a usable amount). Consuming carbohydrates does not trigger an insulin response in that kind of an environment and secreted insulin is resisted. These are the findings of many people in the medical community. This is the basis for syndrome 'x', a possible cause of pre-diabetes, and heart disease. Mayo Clinic has many studies that show this data.

Pro's use insulin for two reasons.

* A PWO insulin injection would be necessary for proper uptake of glucose and amino's. (you can't secrete enough of it.) (this is of course if you can lower HR enough to efficiently digest)
* Elevated hgh suppresses Insulin activity

So, if you are consuming a PWO birthday cake shake without injecting insulin.... not only will your insulin not be capable of working properly, but the presence of glucocorticoids like cortisol tell insulin to STORE FAT. This is assuming, of course, you manage to actually 'digest' some of that PWO shake. Cortisol and CRH halt digestion... and the elevated cardiac flow wouldn't allow for even "decent" nutrient uptake through micro villi.

Why do so many people have this illogical habit and why do they defend it to their death?

Oh, and by the way...... Here is the trump card. If consuming carbohydrates triggered a usable insulin response in the presence of elevated cortisol; there would be no such thing as "Cushing's Syndrome"

Also, how many grams of dextrose is in a whey scooper sized scoop?

cphafner
01-16-2006, 02:58 PM
You should link the artilce.

John Berardi will argue just the opposite.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/recupdate.htm

noahfor123
01-16-2006, 03:12 PM
It wasn't an article. Just a post by a guy. I don't think he referenced any articles either, but I could be wrong.

brickt.
01-16-2006, 03:18 PM
I am of the "dextrose is unnessessary" camp. I've always used oats.

To me, and I don't care how hard I just worked out, 60g+ of sugar ain't ever good for the body.

TheGimp
01-16-2006, 03:56 PM
I have always stuck to the rule of not exceeding an hour for my workouts to prevent the build up of cortisol, although I can't comment on how important this or how effective my approach.

ddegroff
01-17-2006, 10:17 AM
I feel the prework out shake is more important than a postworkout shake is. There's an article on here that talks all about this. Check it out and go post that on your other website and see what he has to say.

Shao-LiN
01-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Is a post-workout shake useless? No. Is it ideal? Maybe, maybe not. Can you just eat whole food? Of course.

Vapour Trails
01-18-2006, 02:42 PM
I got out of this habit awhile ago. I just come home and eat normal dinner.