PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with Olive Oil

BigCorey75
01-16-2006, 09:57 PM
ok lately ive been trying to clean up my diet so i decided to try some olive oil out cause i hear its good for you.

Well i tried it out and like it so far, defiently gives the food a different tatse but it taste good imo.

ive also tried to dribble a lil biton a spinach salad, but not quite to sold on the straight tatse but im working with it.

My question it that all ive cooked with it was some chicken breast, ill put a lil oil in a pan (just enough to cover the bottom of the pan) ill butter fly the breast, crush a clove of garlic in the oil, and season and cook, so far so good.

but im looking for some other stuff i can do with it, if anyone has any ideas it woudl be greatly appreciate it

Cut150
01-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Don't the Greek use it for their salads?

My family uses it for eggs and fish. I think anything you use other cooking oil for would be fine with Olive Oil. We also use Canola oil from time to time.

getfit
01-16-2006, 10:13 PM
i use butter or olive oil

Sose
01-16-2006, 10:23 PM
i use butter or olive oil

butter is baddddd

getfit
01-16-2006, 10:32 PM
butter is baddddd
explain to me why?

Spartacus
01-16-2006, 11:11 PM
drizzle on baked potatos with some herbs
put on pizza when you take it out of oven
favorite: make into pesto to put on bread.

tigo
01-17-2006, 01:38 AM
mix with vinegar or lemon juice to put on salads, its pretty good

HILL
01-17-2006, 01:48 AM
i tend to drizzle it over meats when cooked for the healthy fats in my diet. however i think im going to start adding it to a shake in the morning and having oats instead of just a breakfast shake i have been having

Holto
01-17-2006, 08:05 AM
Butter and cocconut oil are safer for cooking and extremely nutritious.

Olive oil shouldn't be taken much over 300 degrees. Butter and cocconut oil are safe to over 400.

I feel so much better since I got back into butter.

So Big C is eating salads huh? You getting cut now big man ? Are you still in College ?

BigOldDad
01-17-2006, 09:43 AM
extra virgin olive oil with a touch of vinegar and a touch of good seasoning mix drizzled over my chicken sandwhich is good.!! ( In between the 100%whole wheat bread ) Not necasarily over the top of the sandwhich!!Lol.

BigCorey75
01-17-2006, 10:33 AM

Olive oil shouldn't be taken much over 300 degrees. Butter and cocconut oil are safe to over 400.

So Big C is eating salads huh? You getting cut now big man ? Are you still in College ?

Eat its a Spinach salad, Yes I am trying to cut some body fat, and I am still in college. My goal since im not in playing football anymore, its time for me to drop the offensive lineman body, get a lil slimmer for health purposes and asthetic purposes as well, if ima do all this working out to get stronger why not work on looking better while naked...lol

my diet is sort of atkins style, but im trying to keep a good balance of lean meats and fatty meats and leafy green vegetables (spinach mainly) in most of the meals with about 3 cans of tuna a day. When i get more money ima get my supplements which is pretty much going to be huge a huge jug of whey protein and maybe some creatine and glutamine definetly

bschatz88
01-17-2006, 10:47 AM
favorite: make into pesto to put on bread.

Mmmmmm!
:nod:

Davidelmo
01-17-2006, 12:44 PM
It goes in my shakes and I cook my meat with tons (and pour it over the meat and salad afterwards)

Spartacus
01-17-2006, 02:41 PM

saturated fats are the way to go for high-heat applications such as deep frying or searing a steak or some types of stirfyring, but aside from that monofats are better for you on the whole, for the majority of your fat.

also butter has a low smoke point, unless you use clarified/ghee.