PDA

View Full Version : At what point should I start a powerlifting cycle?

puny_ectomorph
01-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Hello all,

For the last six-seven months I've been on a straight bulk, starting with a simple 20-rep squat routine and then moving on to a twice-a-week, full-body program (squats, benches, high pulls, curls on monday; deads, overhead presses, BO rows, waist work thursday). I've gone from a bodyweight of 140 lbs in July 2005 to a current bodyweight of 180.

I've done the bulk because I figured I'd need it if I was going to break into powerlifting. I'd like to hit a bodyweight of 200 by summer, with 220 being my eventual goal. However, I've been itching to come off the basic bodybuilding-style program (I utilize 5 x 5 for the big movements, 3 x 8-10 for junk like curls) and try a powerlifting cycle.

My question is, should I wait and pack on some more mass before I attempt to cycle? Also, I've never done 1 RM before, and am not quite sure how to properly attempt them. In addition, I use ATF olympic-style, high-bar squats, and am wondering if it would be advisable to switch to the wider-stance power-style for awhile.

My numbers for the big lifts are as follows: olympic-style squat, 215 for 5 reps, deadlift: 240 for 5 reps, bench: 150 for 5 reps (bench is my weakest exercise).

Thanks,
-puny-

KevinStarke
01-18-2006, 10:57 AM
Definietelly figure out your one rep max, do some research on powerlifting and when you feel ready I say go for it.

khari
01-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Are you planning on competing in power lifting?

puny_ectomorph
01-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Competition may be sometime in the future; right now it's all about getting my numbers up. I never wanted to be a bodybuilder, and have always had more of an interest in the strength sports; I was under the impression, however, that I'd need the bulk to go anywhere. As far as 1 RM, I'm planning on having a max day next week. Just not sure how to warm up for a 1-rep, and not sure if I should max out all three lifts in one day or do it over the course of a week.

Thanks,
-puny-

Anthony
01-18-2006, 11:25 AM
There are weight categories, so you don't need to bulk. Although at your height, it might help to have a few more pounds on ya.

Having said that, you don't need a specialized powerlifting program at this point. Especially if you've never even attempted a 1RM before. Just keep lifting and getting stronger. When you are putting up decent numbers for your weight (think 400s/300b/500d) and you run into a plateau, then maybe, maybe, you could look into something more specialized. This is just my personal opinion ... I went the westside route and it wasn't for me. I don't know if I wasn't ready or if it's just not suited for me, but I always felt unbalanced after a few months of ME/DE work.

Either way, good luck!

puny_ectomorph
01-18-2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks, Anthony. I'll stick with the basics for the time being :cool:

-puny-

tize
01-27-2006, 08:18 AM
Asap

deeder
01-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Asap

Nice answer man... geeze..

Anyway, I've been thinking about getting into a powerlifting routine too. To make the transition I've been working in lower rep ranges (5x5 like you said you do). It should be pretty easy to make the switch when I feel I am ready.

drew
01-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Find a PL routine you like, and try it. Just keep eating and keep lifting hard and you'll gain weight to go with your strength.

SW
01-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Read alot about powerlifting, get informed about it, find a good routine and lift HARD.