PDA

View Full Version : would like to throw atleast 2 olympic lifts into my routine...suggestions?

greathuskie
01-18-2006, 01:12 PM
id like to throw atleast 2 olympic lifts that require full body motions into my routine (in the middle of the week) what should they be?

i have no one to teach me form so it cant be anything like the snatch press, but the clean and jerk maybe, orr i dont know, hence the reason im posting this

ideas?

khari
01-18-2006, 01:57 PM
There are only two Olympic lifts: The snatch and the clean & Jerk, and they can be tough to learn without a coach. I'd start out with a power clean, but you have to keep in mind that your form will suck at first, but will improve if you keep in mind a few simple things.

The first pull is from the ground to the knees, and during that you are pushing solely with your legs (ie. Your trunk should maintain the same angle throughout the first pull) and your knees should only be bent a little bit at this point. Also it should be noted that you don't need to rip the bar off the ground, the first pull should be slow and controlled.

Once the bar reaches the knees you want to explode upwards, shrugging your shoulders at the top point and keeping the barbell close to your body at all times. After some practice you can work at getting the hips into the motion at the proper time to have the bar contact the thighs, but that's the least of your worries at first. You don't want to pull the bar with your arms, which is probably the biggest problem for beginners. You'll want to catch the bar so that it rests on the delts, and is supported by the hands (If you are flexible you want the upper arms pretty much parallel to the ground).

I wouldn't worry about catching the bar in the low squat position yet. Once you've mastered the 2nd pull, adding on the weight should make the squat clean come naturally if you've been doing a lot of front squatting (which I recommend).

The Jerk is pretty simple. Simply dip straight down and then drive up with the legs and then splitting the legs to lower yourself uner the bar a little. It is tough to describe, but it should become obvious after watching a couple videos. The biggest thing I notice with the new lifters we get at our club is that they tend to sit back a bit as in a squat as they prepare to jerk the bar, and this causes them to push the bar forwards. You want to go straight down and push it back straight up.

This is probably way more than you needed, but I hope it helped. Once you've gotten the idea of how the 2nd pull goes, the snatch should be no problem to learn. I actually find the snatch quite a bit easier than the clean, but most will probably disagree with me. If you are going to apply them, I would really recommend doing them 3x a week so that you can get a good feel for them. Training them only once a week will take too long to get comfortable with the lifts.

greathuskie
01-18-2006, 03:02 PM
sorry, i guess by olympic lift i meant any lift that involves a full body movement or motion to do such as the clean and jerk and snatch, not necessarily the only events done in the olympics... (dont know how obvious it is...i know nothing about olympic or powerlifting)

khari
01-18-2006, 05:31 PM
sorry, i guess by olympic lift i meant any lift that involves a full body movement or motion to do such as the clean and jerk and snatch, not necessarily the only events done in the olympics... (dont know how obvious it is...i know nothing about olympic or powerlifting)

Gotcha. I would still recommend the power clean, and you can either do the jerk or even a push press to get the weight overhead.

debussy
01-18-2006, 06:02 PM
If you can't get a coach. Watch tons of videos, take videos of yourself, and then have people critique your form. Start off practicing pieces of the full lifts first... front squat, overhead, clean pull, snatch pull, and jerk. When you're 100% with those lifts I would start doing the full lifts (c&j and snatch) with minimal weight (just the bar).

I don't promote power version of the lifts... especially for beginners. They ingrain bad form.

MixmasterNash
01-18-2006, 07:12 PM
Power clean/high pull, push press, and DB snatch are what I would recommend to a new trainee looking to get some of the benefits of oly. lifts.

Ja113
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
I'd even recommend power snatches....although power cleans excellent!

If you're looking for some other stuff....try overhead squats....