PDA

View Full Version : I want to do OH squats, but I need this equipment

SkinnySadMan
01-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Is there such thing as one of those mats that I can buy so I can just place them on the ground? I want to do OH squats, but I think I'm going to hurt myself after finishing a set (I swing the barbell back down to my thighs....) I want to rather drop the barbell.

Bumper plates are expensive, can anyone suggest anything I can put on my floor so I can drop a loaded barbell without worrying about my wooden floor ?

This is also another issue for deadlifts, I want to just fully drop the barbell, rather than slowly lowering it.

MixmasterNash
01-18-2006, 07:11 PM
If you're just starting on overhead squats, you probably won't be using that much weight. You should be able to easily lower and catch your bodyweight from overhead to do any of the olympic lifts safely without bumpers.

sexy2002svt
01-18-2006, 08:14 PM
they probablly sell the mats at places like Wal-Mart, Sports Authority. And i know i saw some at TARGET, but i'm not sure how thick they were.

Bohizzle
01-18-2006, 09:23 PM
If you're just starting on overhead squats, you probably won't be using that much weight. You should be able to easily lower and catch your bodyweight from overhead to do any of the olympic lifts safely without a power rack.
Agreed.

Why not just bring it down to ur shoulders, and then flips ur arms out from underneath it to and drop to ur waist and then drop to the ground?

Andrew

big ol' boy
01-18-2006, 09:40 PM
you can get them at tractor supply. I think they are close to an inch thick and a pretty reasonable price too. I think they come in 4'x6' sheets.

BigRic
01-18-2006, 09:51 PM
About MixMasterNash's comments, i don't know of any olympic lift that would be done in a power rack? I think all olympic lifts should be done on a platform, how much are bumper plates?

Ja113
01-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Bump on MMN....I wouldn't worry about it...

MixmasterNash
01-18-2006, 10:16 PM
About MixMasterNash's comments, i don't know of any olympic lift that would be done in a power rack? I think all olympic lifts should be done on a platform, how much are bumper plates?

Whoops. That didn't make any sense did it? :whip:

Typing too fast. Meant bumpers.

SkinnySadMan
01-19-2006, 12:34 PM
If you're just starting on overhead squats, you probably won't be using that much weight. You should be able to easily lower and catch your bodyweight from overhead to do any of the olympic lifts safely without bumpers.

Ahh.. you mean I should practice more olympic lifts before I do overheads squat? What are the chain movements ? Gotta do more research on this...I just really went and started doing OH squats without doing any research on Oly lifts.

SkinnySadMan
01-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Agreed.

Why not just bring it down to ur shoulders, and then flips ur arms out from underneath it to and drop to ur waist and then drop to the ground?

Andrew

I tried that but it feels really awkward...I also tried lowering like a military press, it hurts my shoulders.

Anthony
01-19-2006, 12:39 PM
How do you get the weight over your head?

Mik
01-19-2006, 12:41 PM
you can get them at tractor supply. I think they are close to an inch thick and a pretty reasonable price too. I think they come in 4'x6' sheets.

I got some for my basement. They're sturdy as hell. I think mine are 3/4" thick. I bought mine at a feed tore. They called them cow mats, not sure if that's the true name for them.

SkinnySadMan
01-19-2006, 12:48 PM
How do you get the weight over your head?

Probably the worst snatch you've ever seen... maybe i'll post a vid if I'm not lazy. I just want an easier to lower it without hurting myself.....by dropping it.

I guess I'll look for "Cow mats" sometimes in the future, lol.

Anthony
01-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Ehnnnnnn, maybe you should start with something more basic and build up some shoulder strength/flexibility. There should be no reason you can't lower to your chest and then down from there. Do you C&J??

Canadian Crippler
01-19-2006, 02:19 PM
How much weight are you using? You won't be using much at all dude, it shouldn't be a problem.

WillKuenzel
01-19-2006, 03:41 PM
Hell, if you workout out at home. Do your OH squats outside and whne you are done you can just drop it into the grass. Hope nobody minds the dents the ground will get but grass and dirt is cheap.

MixmasterNash
01-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Hell, if you workout out at home. Do your OH squats outside and whne you are done you can just drop it into the grass. Hope nobody minds the dents the ground will get but grass and dirt is cheap.
This is what I do. A sidewalk with grass on either side makes a nice olympic lifting platform.

WillKuenzel
01-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Necessity is the mother of invention.

SkinnySadMan
01-19-2006, 08:23 PM
How much weight are you using? You won't be using much at all dude, it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm up to like.... 80 lbs.

SkinnySadMan
01-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Ehnnnnnn, maybe you should start with something more basic and build up some shoulder strength/flexibility. There should be no reason you can't lower to your chest and then down from there. Do you C&J??

What are the basic olympic movements I should work on? Also another question... I read somewhere that if I can't rock-bottom squat 1.5 times my bodyweight, then I shouldn't even bother with the overhead squat? Or should I just start working on olympic lifts either way ?

MixmasterNash
01-19-2006, 08:37 PM
The first thing you should do is develop a rock bottom front and high back squat.

Canadian Crippler
01-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Well I tried OH squats today, and I couldn't do them. I can do a rock bottom front squat and a high back squat with good form. What's up?

MixmasterNash
01-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Well I tried OH squats today, and I couldn't do them. I can do a rock bottom front squat and a high back squat with good form. What's up?
There are many stages in between. Convince Sensei to write an OHS squat article!

Ja113
01-19-2006, 10:40 PM
Hey Canadian Crippler (nice handle by the way)....

OH squats require a bit more balance and flexibilty in the shoulder region than front or back squats due to the mechanics of the movement.

When you do a normal squat (front or back)...you're supposed to 'sit' back into the squat....and there is a tendency to lean forward a bit...BUT...when you're doing OH's you're holding a weight over your head...if you lean forward even just a shade, you're not going to be able to hold the weight especially if you haven't developed the flexibility yet.

Ja113
01-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Correction....I meant to say if you lean forward even just a shade too much...you're going to drop the weight....

Sorry

BigRic
01-20-2006, 07:09 AM
I'd say a deep front squat and high back squat are quite a bit different and won't neccesarily give you success in the OH Squat, it's taken me probably two years and i've finally gotten to a point where i can hit them without my heels coming off the ground and so forth...
You may want to take a wider stance than normal and have your hands wide on the bar. The bar shouldn't be really high over your head, start with light weight so you can pnf stretch your shoulders because it may be awkward for a while.