PDA

View Full Version : W'training to CrossFIT

frankm007
01-20-2006, 07:42 AM
n/m

Songsangnim
01-20-2006, 07:55 AM
I made the switch from weight training (been doing it for 5 years) to CrossFit two weeks ago and I can't see myself going back to weight training alone, however, I do find myself wanting to do more. My only source of exercise at the moment is crossfit, is this enough to reach my goals?

I am 24, 5'10, 162lbs, 13% body fat...

my goal is to be around 165-170lbs with 9-10% body fat.

Or would it be wiser to continue with the weigth lifting routine and incorporate crossfit exercies and principles?

ideas, suggestions?
Thanks!

Just two weeks ago? I'd do the crossfit routine for a while longer by itself to get used to it and then incorporate weight training back into the routine. Remember though that losing bodyfat depends heavily on your diet as well. That is the key to weight loss.

MixmasterNash
01-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Just wait until you get to the max single and triple days.

Anthony
01-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Yes. And keep in mind that Crossfit is just GPP, so they almost expect you to be training in other activities. A lot of the "elite" members are doing 1-4 workouts a day. It would be very easy to incorporate some weight training into a crossfit routine.

Anthony
01-20-2006, 09:50 AM
If you jumped into WBB1 and Crossfit at the same time, you'd likely be overwhelmed. But if you built up to it gradually, I see no reason why you couldn't handle it. Right now I do 4 days Crossfit and 2 days 5x5.

the doc
01-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Gpp?

the doc
01-20-2006, 10:52 AM
one comment about crossfit, which i have been toying around with as of late and like quite a bit: I have viewed some of the videos of various workouts, and I have to say some of the lifting forms I have seen are absolutely atrocious and are just asking for injury. I myself am concerned with times, yes, but also performing each exercise with minimal risk of injury

Anthony
01-20-2006, 10:58 AM
GPP = general physical preparedness.

doc ... crossfit advocates good form. Can you point me to the videos that scared you?

MixmasterNash
01-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Gpp?
Yeah, you know me! I'm down with G(eneral) P(hysical) P(reparedness).

one comment about crossfit, which i have been toying around with as of late and like quite a bit: I have viewed some of the videos of various workouts, and I have to say some of the lifting forms I have seen are absolutely atrocious and are just asking for injury. I myself am concerned with times, yes, but also performing each exercise with minimal risk of injury
Yep. I think the form of many of the participants, in general, stinks. Going for maximum power output isn't a good excuse, because there are movements that allow for that and are perfectly safe.

I don't think anyone expects to do the Crossfit WOD and any significant other conditioning or lifting workout on the same day except for a very few elite. Many people spend their time with skills development in addition to the WOD, but that's a different story.

MixmasterNash
01-20-2006, 02:54 PM
Oh yeah, and screw Crossfit and their like. What, you have so little imagination that you need a website for housewives and pampered stockbrokers to give you your daily, completely arbitrary workout?

Friday's workout:

Run 400 meters

Do 20 push-ups

Dance like a cast member of the Broadway musical Cats for 15 minutes

That's a workout! You're all winners!

Jesus!

A program needs progression. A program needs to be cycled. Oh yeah, a program needs weights, too, and bars, and cages. Going to the park and jumping around like a poodle dog with a peach pit up his butt is not going to make you look much better.

It's funny 'cause it's true!

Songsangnim
01-20-2006, 07:23 PM

I mentioned this in a thread not too long ago. You're not the only one. That said, some of those routines look very challenging. Were I not more concerned with size and strength, I might give said routines a shot. Maybe a few years down the road.

Anthony
01-21-2006, 06:30 AM
Oh yeah, and screw Crossfit and their like. What, you have so little imagination that you need a website for housewives and pampered stockbrokers to give you your daily, completely arbitrary workout?

A program needs progression. A program needs to be cycled. Oh yeah, a program needs weights, too, and bars, and cages. Going to the park and jumping around like a poodle dog with a peach pit up his butt is not going to make you look much better.

What a tard. I wonder if he would say that Liddel, Penn, or Buentello. Maybe he would. And then maybe he'd eat out of a straw for 3 months. The guy obviously doesn't have a clue about how CF periodizes.

Today's WOD - Max Effort Deadlifts.

I guess TC can go **** himself. :D

Rex
01-21-2006, 10:23 AM
"Dance like a cast member of the Broadway musical Cats for 15 minutes"

LOL!

MixmasterNash
01-21-2006, 11:14 AM
"Dance like a cast member of the Broadway musical Cats for 15 minutes"

LOL!

Dude, that totally got me close to my VO2 max, what with all the meowing.

Songsangnim
01-21-2006, 09:48 PM
I started this thread in hopes of some good responses and what I read are comments by people with a very stubborn and close mind. (1) We have completely overlooked the real reason we "should" be doing what we do (whatever that might be); fitness. Fitness is not about big muscles, or just about a healthy heart, or about strong legs... it's about ALL OF THE ABOVE. And you CAN accomplish that in many ways. (2)Most gymnasts for example do no weight training except the very challenging body-weight skills they perform and repeat countless times. Are they in bad shape? Are they lacking "fitness"?

(3) This post wasn't about which one is better, as there is NO ONE BEST kind of exercise regimen, but what approach to take to best accomplish my "aesthetic" goals, without sacrificing everything else.

Having been a gymnast I know how annoying it is when someone who is ignorant about the sport asks whether or not we get on beams, dance around, and leap from one bar to the other (all of which are women events), (4) so I take the same offense to the comments made about crossfit. I have done gymnastics, I have done weight training and I am now doing crossfit, and ALL have been challenging, enjoyable and have allowed for progression.

Although I'll admit that the comments made me laugh, perhaps there wasn't much thought put into it afterwards.

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/CrossFit_olifting-cert-jan-2006.html

(numbers are mine)

1. And one of those ways is weight training.

2. Links please to back up this assertation.

3. No one has made this claim that there is "one best way"

4. What comments were made specifically about crossfit that you took exception to? People (mainly) were supporting it and making fun of people that made fun of Crossfit. The only negative comment was about some of the videos which had some people doing a routine with bad form.

ericg
01-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Yes. And keep in mind that Crossfit is just GPP, so they almost expect you to be training in other activities. A lot of the "elite" members are doing 1-4 workouts a day. It would be very easy to incorporate some weight training into a crossfit routine.

Do you think CF alone is a good program to follow for overall athleticism? Is there something lacking?

Sensei
01-24-2006, 11:05 AM
What a tard. I wonder if he would say that Liddel, Penn, or Buentello. Maybe he would. And then maybe he'd eat out of a straw for 3 months. The guy obviously doesn't have a clue about how CF periodizes.

Today's WOD - Max Effort Deadlifts.

I guess TC can go **** himself. :D
Who is TC anyway?

Anthony, could you explain how CF periodizes, because, to be honest, I don't spend enough time there to see it either.

edit: As far as most of the commentary about t-mag, I totally agree. It does seem to have a hold of some GREAT coaches, but many, if not most of their articles, are complete crap.

Anthony
01-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Do you think CF alone is a good program to follow for overall athleticism? Is there something lacking?

Yes, I think GPP to the extreme is good for overall athleticism. If you want to excel in a certain sport, obviously practise will be required.

Anthony
01-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Who is TC anyway?

Anthony, could you explain how CF periodizes, because, to be honest, I don't spend enough time there to see it either.

edit: As far as most of the commentary about t-mag, I totally agree. It does seem to have a hold of some GREAT coaches, but many, if not most of their articles, are complete crap.

TC is a writer(owner?) for T ... I have no idea other than that.

I don't have the exact pattern of their periodization, but when you follow the WOD for some time you start to "expect" certain aspects. For example, this weekend we were talking about what the WOD might be for Monday. I suggested that a 5km run would pop up soon. Monday morning we get hit with a 10km run.

If you look at WHAT they are cycling, it's based on three energy pathways - phosphagen, glycolytic, and oxidative. It's my understanding that phosphagen would be ME work, glycolytic would be the typical GPP/HIIT/High rep compound movements (think 21 rep cleans, etc), and oxidative would be long distance running or rowing.

How often do they come up? I'm still figuring that out. If I had to give numbers off the top of my head, I would say 4 parts GPP, 2 parts ME, 1 part long distance. I know that within the past ~3 weeks I have seen max effort deadlifts twice, max effort squats, max effort cleans, and max effort push jerks. That's 5 ME days in 3 weeks. Westside would have 6 ME days in the same time frame.