PDA

View Full Version : Grip question

Progress
01-20-2006, 01:02 PM
When doing DLs, SLDS, Hack Squats or pretty much anything that has that sort of hand position, I'm tending to not use my thumb opposable(ly). As opposed to gripping it normally, I move my thumb so it's adjacent to my fingers.

For some reason this makes me more comfortable and puts less stress on my forearm--not sure which specific area though. Should I continue to do this?

MixmasterNash
01-20-2006, 01:32 PM
It won't hurt anything. As long as it's not limiting your lifts, why not? I wouldn't do it for anything that requires catching the bar, e.g. bench press or olympic lifts.

When you use a big enough thick bar, you can't wrap your thumb at all and you have to use a mixed thumbless grip.

Progress
01-20-2006, 05:36 PM
It won't hurt anything. As long as it's not limiting your lifts, why not? I wouldn't do it for anything that requires catching the bar, e.g. bench press or olympic lifts.

When you use a big enough thick bar, you can't wrap your thumb at all and you have to use a mixed thumbless grip.

Thanks! No, it isn't limiting my lifts, in fact it helps me. I actually use straps for most of those exercises. I just typically use this on warmup sets (below 225 lbs). I may as well stick with it. Something I noticed is that when I did reverse grip presses (for tris) I used this same grip. It was almost like the weight was resting on my hands instead of being gripped. For this example I think it wasn't a good idea.