PDA

View Full Version : Carb-up to Improve Workout Performance

Silverback
01-21-2006, 01:58 AM
Currently im leaning out and was trying to figure out what would be the best way to load carbs in order improve workout performance.

I train 2x per week, Mon and Thurs. The workout which im looking at carbing up for is the Monday workout, because these are the areas i want to emphasize in terms of strength and body comp.

Ive read UD2.0 plus lyles other books and to be honest im not a big fan of the depletion and tension workouts, i train almost strictly in the Power Zone

The workout would either be 10am or 4-5pm depending on work committments.

Would i load on the Sunday only? start saturday night? Im not too clued up on the amount of time it takes to become fully loaded (i know individuals vary) But at a weight of 230lbs in thinking id need around 800g carbs.

My diet is basically CKD with the exception of post workout and obvious refeed

Any help would be superb thanks :)

Built
01-21-2006, 01:59 AM
What's the Power Zone? And why do you only train twice a week?

ddegroff
01-21-2006, 02:24 AM
I don't load any day of the week. I don't feel you really need to. If your eating enough carbs throughout the day everyday I would think your fine. If you cutting you could add some more fats because your body will burn that as energy also.

HILL
01-21-2006, 05:46 AM
I am not expert on the matter but if you hit your heavy workout well call it on a monday late afternoon/night id start to carb up from breakfast time. I suppose as u said tho it depends on the person and the carbs you are using. i base my carsb around meals at 2pm and 4pm and i train at 6 pm. this usually works fine for me while im cutting

Silverback
01-21-2006, 09:16 AM
What's the Power Zone? And why do you only train twice a week?

Power zone as in 3-6 reps also known as Powerbuilding.

Twice a week because the type of training i do is based on heavy controlled eccentric training, high intensity very similar to Doggcrapp, Mentzers Heavy Duty, Dorian yates style of training.

ddegroff: Well thats the whole point of CKD/timed carb you limit your carbs, so you use fat for energy then carb up/refeed on a 1-3 day schedule.

Im really surprised in that no-one is familiar with this, lyle contributes to this site with QandA's and Articles, yet people are not aware of the methods?!!!

Built
01-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Big-Andy - got any pix of yourself? I'm interested to see how well this works.

Silverback
01-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Yeah, here's my journal not the best pics but it gives you an idea.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=73581

Utopianhopes
01-21-2006, 12:57 PM
After a meal has been digested and glucose levels begin to fall, insulin secretion is reduced, and glycogen synthesis stops. About 4 hours after a meal, glycogen begins to be broken down to be converted again to glucose. Glycogen phosphorylase is the primary enzyme of glycogen breakdown. For the next 8-12 hours, glucose derived from liver glycogen will be the primary source of blood glucose to be used by the rest of the body for fuel.

Acheson et. al. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=3165600&query_hl=2)

This is about the closest to a CKD that yo'ull find in a study. 5 days of low-carb + glycogen depleting exercise into a carb-load. Found that, during the first 24 hours, carbs go to glycogen, the body continues using fat for fuel. Also found that with many days of serious overfeeding (they went something like 700, 900 and more g of carbs per day), you can get some pretty significant conversion of carbs to fat.

Fairchild et al. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12048325&query_hl=10)

Showed that you can compensate glycogen in 24 hours if you
a. do a high intensity workout
b. eat enough

Hopefully some of this helps. He has his own site.
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

Silverback
01-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Utopianhopes: Thanks for the reply, some good info and the site definately looks good :)