PDA

View Full Version : Low Carbohydrate and Muscle Mass

threatmix
01-21-2006, 06:08 PM
If I were to go on a diet low in carbohydrates during a period of maintenance calorie levels while continuing to weightlift regularly, would I be able to effectively retain my muscle mass, as much as say a diet of "normal" levels of carbohydrates?

Spartacus
01-21-2006, 06:48 PM
it wouldn't be optimal. it depends on what you mean by 'low carb' too: 33/33/33/ isn't going to make much difference compared to 60/20/20.

threatmix
01-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Yeah, I meant like real low carb. Like the only source of carbs being from vegetables, nuts and a couple pieces of fruit a day.

threatmix
01-21-2006, 07:47 PM
I found this study, which is interesting:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12077732&dopt=Abstract

Twelve healthy normal-weight men switched from their habitual diet (48% carbohydrate) to a carbohydrate-restricted diet (8% carbohydrate) for 6 weeks and 8 men served as controls, consuming their normal diet. Subjects were encouraged to consume adequate dietary energy to maintain body mass during the intervention. Total and regional body composition and fasting blood samples were assessed at weeks 0, 3, and 6 of the experimental period. Fat mass was significantly (P <or=.05) decreased (-3.4 kg) and lean body mass significantly increased (+1.1 kg) at week 6.

Utopianhopes
01-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Only thing about low carbs is it wouldn't be optimal to putting on muscle. Beside that it seems perfectly fine as long as you maintain your fat up also.

threatmix
01-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

Built
01-21-2006, 08:16 PM
How about eating like I do? Basically what you're suggesting, but with a starchy meal before and right after I lift. No added starches or sugars on non-lifting days. Best of both worlds.

threatmix
01-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Yeah, that's probably what I'll do for my cut, but what I eventually want to do is go on an evolution-based diet(eating what we as a species evolved on, basically no grains or dairy). But, when I bulk again in the future, I'll have to reintroduce carbs, I'm sure.

Built
01-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Hey, do whatever's comfortable.

For me, carb cycling as I do has been great - bulking, cutting OR maintaining.

brickt.
01-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Built, do you do:

Pre-WO Meal = Starchy LOW GI Meal
During WO = Sugary FAST GI Shake
Post-WO Meal = Starchy LOW GI Meal?

Spartacus
01-21-2006, 11:22 PM
I found this study, which is interesting:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12077732&dopt=Abstract

Twelve healthy normal-weight men switched from their habitual diet (48% carbohydrate) to a carbohydrate-restricted diet (8% carbohydrate) for 6 weeks and 8 men served as controls, consuming their normal diet. Subjects were encouraged to consume adequate dietary energy to maintain body mass during the intervention. Total and regional body composition and fasting blood samples were assessed at weeks 0, 3, and 6 of the experimental period. Fat mass was significantly (P <or=.05) decreased (-3.4 kg) and lean body mass significantly increased (+1.1 kg) at week 6.

um there ewas very little control on what the diet was.

basically a low carb diet will not be ideal for maintaining msucle, but if you are trying to get extremely ripped, it can be useful. but while it can help mobilise fat, low carb also reduce the muscle-sparing effects of insulin and glycogen stores.

but there is no advantage in changing your macro ratios for almost all people. if thats what you want to eat, go for it, i guess.

Built
01-21-2006, 11:39 PM
Built, do you do:

Pre-WO Meal = Starchy LOW GI Meal
During WO = Sugary FAST GI Shake
Post-WO Meal = Starchy LOW GI Meal?

bulking - yes
cutting - I skip the shake. Can't afford the calories.