PDA

View Full Version : Chili?

Scottyboy
01-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Lately I've been eating a lot of beanless chili, and while I never see it mentioned in normal lists of bodybuilding foods it seems pretty nutritionally sound. Some of it, like the crappy Wal Mart brand is a little fatty, but Hormel has about 10 grams of fat per serving, with 17 grams of protein and carbs. If you can stand the turkey chili it breaks down evern better. Any opinions on the stuff?

Also, I would eventually start to make my own using lean beef. Suggestions on this?

getfit
01-22-2006, 08:22 PM
chili is great, i make vegetarian chili,lean beef should be fine

Pjsb
01-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Chili is great for a number of reasons.. including high protein and fiber. However, as with a lot of canned foods, canned chili (including the Hormel stuff) tends to have a lot of salt. Something to consider, especially if you have high blood pressure like me.

tigo
01-22-2006, 09:24 PM
its good stuff... just watch out for trans fats i would say (if there are any)

Genacide
01-23-2006, 07:13 AM
Here is what ya do:
1. Plant a garden full of Tomato's, green peppers, onions, and maybe chili peppers.
2. Can the veggies 1/2 tomatoes, 1/4 peppers, 1/4 onions.
3. Let sit until needed. (mesh that flava)
4. 1 jar veggie mix, 1 lb meat (beef, deer, Buffalo?) 1 can beans, spices to flavor (cummin, pepper, salt, chili powder)

Last season my brother canned maybe 50 jars of veggies, makes chili a quick, healthy, tastey meal.

Scottyboy
01-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Since I live in Iowa and it's 15 degrees here right now I thinki I'll stick with store bought ingredients for now, but thanks for the advice.