PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifts on Platforms?

ArchAngel777
01-23-2006, 12:37 PM
As I was thinking the other day, I thought the deadlift truly is one of the best lifts in existance. But then I thought how much better it would be if the weight were even lower to the ground, like the bar being 2-3 inches above level. This would work the legs more and would put you in a parallel or below position for the dead lift. It would work more of the legs.

The reason I was thinking this would be a great lift, is because it would completely suppliment the squat workout. You could alternate between Squats and Low Dead Lifts.

The question is, does a platform like that exist? It would have to be about 1 foot tall and the dimensions would have to be about 3' X 3' ideally. Anyone heard of this? I was thinking of making my own platform for this type of lift.

But anyway, the reason is to get more range of motion and suppliment the squat more.

MixmasterNash
01-23-2006, 12:50 PM
Use a snatch grip, and/or use smaller plates.

KevinStarke
01-23-2006, 12:51 PM
Platforms have been used for some now man, i use a 3 " platform pretty much every time I deadlift

ArchAngel777
01-23-2006, 12:53 PM
Platforms have been used for some now man, i use a 3 " platform pretty much every time I deadlift

Cool, I have never seen one in my gym. A lot of powerlifters in my gym as well. Interesting...

I could use smaller weights, but racking on 25's is major pain when dead lifting. Very tedious. Snatch grip is a good idea, I never thought about it, that would lower your body as well, cool.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Guido
01-23-2006, 01:47 PM
I've recently started deadlifting off "blocks" and it's great. Basically I just stack 2 45's and stand on them while keeping the bar on the floor. It raises me about 3-4". It's great for helping to improve your lift-off from the floor.

Scooter
01-24-2006, 11:24 AM
I DL on my tippy toes

MixmasterNash
01-24-2006, 11:33 AM
I DL on my tippy toes

What? Why?

Scooter
01-24-2006, 11:42 AM
What? Why?

ha, I should have put j/k. I thought it was so totally outrageous that I didn't need to.

MixmasterNash
01-24-2006, 11:44 AM
ha, I should have put j/k. I thought it was so totally outrageous that I didn't need to.
You'll never lose money underestimating the dumb things people can do.

Adam
01-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Use a snatch grip, and/or use smaller plates.

I've done both.
Personally if I am doing snatch grip deads I will do a higher rep range. like 8+
I use the 25's only sometimes. Much easier doing that then going out and building your own platform(although that wouldn't be hard), and I don't trust any platform I would see in a gym to support me and 400+Lbs.

Sensei
01-24-2006, 03:30 PM
I haven't done them for while, but snatch grip DLs really are a different beast than platform DLs. A great exercise, but very different.

If you are stacking plates and using them as a platform, make sure that they aren't slipping. I put regular plates on top of bumpers and they usually stay in place well.

Guido
01-24-2006, 03:36 PM
I haven't done them for while, but snatch grip DLs really are a different beast than platform DLs. A great exercise, but very different.

If you are stacking plates and using them as a platform, make sure that they aren't slipping. I put regular plates on top of bumpers and they usually stay in place well.They don't slip for me when doing conventional. I coiuld see slipping as a problem if you do sumo style, though.

ArchAngel777
01-24-2006, 03:44 PM
They don't slip for me when doing conventional. I coiuld see slipping as a problem if you do sumo style, though.

On my deadlift workout yesterday, I did a combinations of things. The most I could snatch dead lift was 315, because my grip (even hook) could not hold the weight. I am not sure if my grip is weak, or if it is a result of myself putting the weight down in the same way I put it up. Meaning I can handle the grip on the way up, but once I straighten out and go down my grip is losening a lot.

Whatever the case, I did several variations of dead lifts. I would like to use a video camera next time I do them, because I feel that my back isn't perfectly flat and is arching foward due to the weight on the lower back.

Also, I noticed several people in my gym were doing dead lifts very fast. They would do them with explosive power... I always just slow strength pull mine up... Any thoughts? I am by no means the expert on dead lifts, so any advice would be great.

Guy at my gym did a record? I heard them talking about it, I believe he did 595? He must weight about 240 or so.

KevinStarke
01-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Deadlifting big weight is all about speed.

ArchAngel777
01-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Deadlifting big weight is all about speed.

Is that due to the grip? I wasn't that strong, but when I dead lifted 455, it went up slow. All of my dead lifts did. I am just curious to know why going faster is better... Is it possible there is a stick point so you attempt to use momentum past it?

KevinStarke
01-24-2006, 04:36 PM
the faster you move the bar the better, if the weights really heavy your definitelly gonna pull it slower than you would 135 but you wanna be pulling the weight as hard as you can. Band deads will really improves speed.

Anthony
01-24-2006, 04:40 PM
I've used a 4" aerobic step. It works quite well if you don't have a super wide sumo stance.

ArchAngel777
01-24-2006, 04:41 PM
the faster you move the bar the better, if the weights really heavy your definitelly gonna pull it slower than you would 135 but you wanna be pulling the weight as hard as you can. Band deads will really improves speed.

Right, I understand what you are saying, but i am curious to know the reason behind speed = better for that lift. I know that speed is relative, but I don't think I have ever tried to Dead Lift as fast as I can, I think it would hurt! I would think I would pull something if I tried that... Who knows, I'll give it a shot one of these days.

KevinStarke
01-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Well think about it man, do you really think your lower back wants you to slowly raise up very heavy weight?

ArchAngel777
01-24-2006, 06:15 PM
Well think about it man, do you really think your lower back wants you to slowly raise up very heavy weight?

The reason I'd say yes is because you are putting a ton of pressure on your back right away when doing it first. Hard to explain what I mean, but the first thing I was taught with OL lifts is that you don't explode right away, you lift the weight off the ground, then when it gets near your lower knees, you explode with speed. I was showed the reason for this, because pulling really fast can cause you to handle dead weight... Hard to explain, really, and I am not the best when it comes to physics and what not. Anyway, I am not saying you are wrong (Hope you aren't taking it as such) I just feel the slow movement is better for me, personally, at least. But I will work on my speed, who knows, maybe it will work out better.

KevinStarke
01-24-2006, 07:07 PM
In the words of Phil Halliwell... "Just pull the fukcing weight"

Guido
01-25-2006, 09:21 AM
Don't overthink it, man. The thing is, if you thik about pulling the weight explosively, you will have a better chance of getting it than if you think about pulling it slowly. It's a mental thing as much as a real physical thing. On lighter weight, then yes, you can definitely see how speed work will help you get past sticking points, which is why a lot of people use it on bench, too.

Guy at my gym did a record? I heard them talking about it, I believe he did 595? He must weight about 240 or so.Might be a state record for his age and weight class, but it's no national record. There's a guy at my gym who pulls over 700 at that weight and another who's pulled 638 at 205lbs.

KevinStarke
01-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Yah Rob has pulled 670 at 198.

ericg
01-25-2006, 10:31 AM
If you are going to try speed deads just make sure that when you grip the bar (and before you rip it off the floor) that you get very tight. If you pull loose you may hurt something.

tize
01-27-2006, 08:25 AM
you cant be serious, i just read in another thread that you benched 325 flat back at age 17

and you havent heard of pulling from a deficit???

something doesnt add up

ArchAngel777
01-27-2006, 08:36 AM
you cant be serious, i just read in another thread that you benched 325 flat back at age 17

and you havent heard of pulling from a deficit???

something doesnt add up

I wasn't a power lifter and only did deads from the floor to increase my Clean + Jerk and Snatch. Not to mention, my gym does not have any equipment to pull from a deficit. Niether of the gyms I used to lift at had them. Things add up quite well... You would be amazed at what you don't know, if you ever became humble enough to admit it.

tize
01-27-2006, 08:49 AM
I wasn't a power lifter and only did deads from the floor to increase my Clean + Jerk and Snatch. Not to mention, my gym does not have any equipment to pull from a deficit. Niether of the gyms I used to lift at had them. Things add up quite well... You would be amazed at what you don't know, if you ever became humble enough to admit it.
well i SERIOUSLY doubt you benched 325 @ 190 age 17 with your feet in the air, but thats besides the point

when doing pulling from blocks dont go much higher than 4inches, It gets dangerous any higher than that

Anthony
01-27-2006, 08:51 AM
325 @ 190 isn't anything to write home about. It's good, but I don't think it falls into the area of skeptical. If you have a problem with his numbers, PM him and you two can deal with it there.

tize
01-27-2006, 08:53 AM
325 @ 190 isn't anything to write home about. It's good, but I don't think it falls into the area of skeptical. If you have a problem with his numbers, PM him and you two can deal with it there.
its at age 17 raw, with his feet in the air dude

do you understand how many state and national records that breaks?

Anthony
01-27-2006, 08:56 AM

It's also a gym lift without a pause. There's a guy on these forums who weighs 150lbs soaking weight and benches 315. Raw. Oh yeah, and I believe he was also 17 when he did it.

KevinStarke
01-27-2006, 08:57 AM
;)

Anthony
01-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Speak of teh devil! You should link up that video, Kevin.

KevinStarke
01-27-2006, 09:05 AM
http://chris.majoros.us/kevin/MVI_0798.AVI - Me benching 315 (Touch and Go) at 151 last summer. (17 at the time)

ArchAngel777
01-27-2006, 09:10 AM

Well, would it help if I said I was 2-3 months from turning 18? I mean, I don't think I need to get THAT technical here. Besides, my numbers are NOT that impressive. I knew at least 4 people who could bench more than myself in HS. So I know for a fact it was no state record, else I would have known.

If you would have followed the thread, you would have noticed that I said I am not as strong when I arch my back. Therefore, it stands to reason that I trained the BP without arching and with a flat back. Why is that so hard to understand?

Besides, it sounds as if your EGO is on the line here... What, are you worried that I could have bested you age for age? Get over it dude! Many people are a LOT stronger than YOU and ME! Who cares? You need a bit of humility.

You can PM me if you want to discuss this further, otherwise, keep is quiet.

ArchAngel777
01-27-2006, 09:14 AM
http://chris.majoros.us/kevin/MVI_0798.AVI - Me benching 315 (Touch and Go) at 151 last summer. (17 at the time)

Cool! HAHA! That is awesome... You see, back when I was 17 I would have a hurt ego... But, now I can just look and say, that is very impressive for your size, weight and age! Awesome clip and awesome physique man. You look good.

KevinStarke
01-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Thanks man, my beard got beastly bout a month after that and I miss it :(

tize
01-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Well, would it help if I said I was 2-3 months from turning 18? I mean, I don't think I need to get THAT technical here. Besides, my numbers are NOT that impressive. I knew at least 4 people who could bench more than myself in HS. So I know for a fact it was no state record, else I would have known.

If you would have followed the thread, you would have noticed that I said I am not as strong when I arch my back. Therefore, it stands to reason that I trained the BP without arching and with a flat back. Why is that so hard to understand?

Besides, it sounds as if your EGO is on the line here... What, are you worried that I could have bested you age for age? Get over it dude! Many people are a LOT stronger than YOU and ME! Who cares? You need a bit of humility.

You can PM me if you want to discuss this further, otherwise, keep is quiet.
get over yourself dude, you didnt bench 325 back then and you cant bench 325 now

period.

btw, i didnt touch a bench when i was 17

tize
01-27-2006, 10:10 AM
good lift, and what do you do without arch/legdrive?

and wtf full beard at 17? hahaha

ArchAngel777
01-27-2006, 11:50 AM
get over yourself dude, you didnt bench 325 back then and you cant bench 325 now

period.

btw, i didnt touch a bench when i was 17

I am not sure what your problem is, but I think this forum would do a lot better without your attitude here. Several people have seen and spotted me at 315+ on the BP when I was 17 AND when I was 18. I would regularly do 315 X 1 with a spotter and would always go up to 295 without a spotter, easily. Sometimes I bench with feet on the end of the bench, sometimes in squat position and sometimes I do bench in legs on ground. But you are not really interested in hearing any of this, because clearly you don't believe a 17 year old can BP 315+ without an arched back. My strength is the same whether I lift my legs up, leave them on the bench, or set them on the floor. It doesn't change the ammount of weight I am able to lift, personally.

But the problem I am noticing has nothing to do with me, per se, but with your inability to comprehend that several high schoolers are able to attain what I have done and that it is nothing special. In addition, due to the fact that you do not believe a 17 year old can BP 315+ without an arch shows that you never even came close and are using yourself as the measure of the best of the best. That alone puts you in an absurd world. To think "Because I cannot do it, he must not have been able to do it" is clearly short sighted at best and at worst is pure willful ignorance!

There are several people in this forum that make you look like a girl and will completely destroy you at a meet. Perhaps you will discredit them if it puts you in a bad light? You have no idea how strong people can at a certain age. I am guessing you were a "late bloomer" from the sounds of it... I guess the testies didn't drop until what, 17? :hello:

Sensei
01-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Dude, you really DO have some issues...

Kevin,
That 315 looked great!

tize
01-27-2006, 01:12 PM
I am not sure what your problem is, but I think this forum would do a lot better without your attitude here. Several people have seen and spotted me at 315+ on the BP when I was 17 AND when I was 18. I would regularly do 315 X 1 with a spotter and would always go up to 295 without a spotter, easily. Sometimes I bench with feet on the end of the bench, sometimes in squat position and sometimes I do bench in legs on ground. But you are not really interested in hearing any of this, because clearly you don't believe a 17 year old can BP 315+ without an arched back. My strength is the same whether I lift my legs up, leave them on the bench, or set them on the floor. It doesn't change the ammount of weight I am able to lift, personally.

But the problem I am noticing has nothing to do with me, per se, but with your inability to comprehend that several high schoolers are able to attain what I have done and that it is nothing special. In addition, due to the fact that you do not believe a 17 year old can BP 315+ without an arch shows that you never even came close and are using yourself as the measure of the best of the best. That alone puts you in an absurd world. To think "Because I cannot do it, he must not have been able to do it" is clearly short sighted at best and at worst is pure willful ignorance!

There are several people in this forum that make you look like a girl and will completely destroy you at a meet. Perhaps you will discredit them if it puts you in a bad light? You have no idea how strong people can at a certain age. I am guessing you were a "late bloomer" from the sounds of it... I guess the testies didn't drop until what, 17? :hello:you dont expect me to read that do you?

KevinStarke
01-29-2006, 12:21 PM

and wtf full beard at 17? hahaha

Thanks, no idea what I can do without arch and legdrive since theres no reason to NOT use arch and legdrive.