PDA

View Full Version : Power for bulk

puny_ectomorph
01-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Evening all,

I normally post on the bodybuilding thread, as my main goal is to bulk. I'm currently 183 lbs at 5'10.

I've recently gotten stuck in my squat (olympic-style, bar high on shoulders, shoulder-width stance) at 205 lbs for 3 x 5. Today when I attempted 210 after four weeks at 205, I nearly injured my right knee when I came down and couldn't get back up.

I read a thread in the bodybuilding forums about box squats, and read an attached article by Louie Simmons of Westside Barbell. I noticed in the article that Louie mentions widening out the stance.

I'd like to try the power-style squat for awhile, and work box squats into it. However, to be honest, I am not quite sure on proper form.

One, I've noticed the bar sits pretty low on the traps, and I don't think mine are big enough or that my arms are strong enough to hold it that low.

Two, I'm slightly worried about widening my stance...could my knees and ankles buckle under a heavy load?

Three, with the olympic ATF style I do now, it's straight up and down. With power style, it looks to me like the lifters are 'sitting back,' the back is still arched but the lifter's torso is bent forward 45 degrees or so. I was under the impression this was bad for the lower back, but I may be wrong.

Four, should I attempt box squats first, or work on widening my stance and developing a power-style squat?

Thanks for the help!
-puny-

CrazyPalm
01-23-2006, 09:48 PM
I'm curious too. I tried sumo style this morning and found it harder on everything but the quads. I assumed it was because cns adaption was needed for the new style but I don't know didly-squat...

drew
01-23-2006, 09:51 PM
OK, one: When you step up to the bar, yo ufirst want to pull and squeeze your shoulderblades together, this will create a shelf for the bar to sit on. Get your hands on the bar and squaeeze the bar and pull outward on it. This will help reinforce the tightness of your upper back. Find the shelf and get the bar into it. Then arch your back and get it tight. Biggest key here is tightness.

Two: With a wider stance, you'll be spreading the floor apart with your feet and forcing your knees out hard. The PL style of sitting back will put the pressure onto your hips, and take it away from your knees.

Three: EXACTLY! You sit back in the squat. This is so you can use the big muscles of the glutes and hams to move the weight while taking stress off your knees. With a tight arch and tight back, you'll appear to be leaning forward. Your spine will be in a natural position.

Four, you should start with box squats and move your feet out at least to shoulder width. Start with the bar only until you are comfortable sitting back onto the box. It will take some time to get used to. Make sure not to bounce on the box. It's a split second pause and then power back up. When you get comfortable, start to move the stance out.

Also, make sure to fill your belly with air and expand your abs and push them out hard. This, again will help keep you tight. It's all about being tight so you get a good transfer of power through your feet up to the bar.

There's really a lot more to it than this, and a lot to figure out, but this will get you started.

puny_ectomorph
01-24-2006, 12:55 AM
Thanks for that info, Drew!

Now I just need to find a box that's at my parallel height....:evillaugh:

drew
01-24-2006, 03:29 PM
No prob.

At your height, you should probably be using a 14" box. I generally just stack aerobic steps or plates until the height is where I want it.

Sensei
01-24-2006, 03:33 PM
High bar vs. Low bar squatting: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=71389