PDA

View Full Version : why am I not losing weight??

fast57
01-24-2006, 02:49 PM
I have worked out on and off over the years but as of this Jan 1st i'm taking it more seriously. I have changed my diet and follow a Weight watchers type diet in which early last year I lost weight with (but gained it back when I got lazy). Since Jan 1st i've gone to the gym at least 3 days a week and am soon going to up it to 5. I start with 15 min. of cardio and then weights. So far I aint lost a damn pound. Whats stopping me? I'm not lookig to be a body builder Just want to get in shape lose the flab and gain some muscle. I'm a big guy now ( 6" 3"...280...not all fat theres alot of muscle there) but what is going on here? On days I dont eat that much I seem to weigh more?!?! is there a supplement I can take to get me in gear here? Will the fat start fading once my muscles reach a certain point? Does muscle really weigh more than fat or is that a myth? I really dont care about a weight number just the way I look. PLEASE HELP!! :swear:

malkore
01-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Well, first off, weights first, then cardio. Always.
Second, 15 mins of cardio ain't enough. 30-45 mins, and get your heart rate UP.
Thirdly, yes, muscle is much more dense than fat, so if you're lifting weights and doing cardio, the ratio between fat lost and muscle gained could cause the scale to not budge. This is why knowing your body fat % is more useful than knowing yoru weight.

Hell on a good day (or bad, depends on your perspective) I can take a dump and weigh 1.5lbs less afterwards. Doesn't mean I lost any fat though.

I would critically analyze how many calories you're getting on weight watchers. If you dip calories too low, the body assumes you're starving and will NOT burn fat for energy.

HILL
01-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Sorry i dont agree for sutting you dont need any cardio. i lost atleast 10 pound if not 14 pound before touching any cardio and im now down 19 pound by just doing 10 mins walking after weight training sessions and having my diet on track. if your not loosing weight then your not in a calorie deficit. Find out your maintancence cals by eating a set amount everyday for a week then adjusting untill you dnt gain or loose weight. then deduct say 500 cals a day or 10/20% and their is no way you wont loose weight. do the usuall 1-1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight and keep fat at 0.5f per pound of lean body mass as a minimum the rest with carbs. check my journal also chris russows and utopian hopes as were all cutting at the moment along with other.

i agree however that you should do weights first as a must.

Muscle and fat weigh the same a pound of feathers is the same as a pound of stone at the end of the day as far as im aware.

fast57
01-24-2006, 03:57 PM
really , weights first? I always thought you warm up with a little cardio then lift weights. What if I do 15 before and 15 after? doest that even matter? Or should I just go with weights first and cardio second? Being my size and weight what do you think is a good number of calories to start with? And with weight watchers it goes on a point system, so someone my size can eat anything as long as it doesnt exceed 30 points in a day.

Behemoth
01-24-2006, 04:13 PM
really , weights first? I always thought you warm up with a little cardio then lift weights. What if I do 15 before and 15 after? doest that even matter? Or should I just go with weights first and cardio second? Being my size and weight what do you think is a good number of calories to start with? And with weight watchers it goes on a point system, so someone my size can eat anything as long as it doesnt exceed 30 points in a day.

Nothing wrong with light cardio to warmup. Just don't do any moderate or high intensity before lifting.

Built
01-24-2006, 04:23 PM
No cardio before you lift. Really. You'll have a crappy workout if you do your cardio first, and burn less fat and more muscle to boot.
You do NOT need ANY cardio to lose fat. You lose weight through caloric reduction. You lose FAT by lifting heavy enough to convince your body that the muscle is too valuable and too necessary to toss. A little post workout cardio is a good idea to burn off FFAs and create a bit more of a caloric deficit, but that's it - it just means you get to eat a little bit more while maintaining that caloric deficit.

You are going to be told over and over again to track your calories on fitday. Resistance is futile.
Go in to www.fitday.com and start an account. Track your calories. You are NOT losing weight now, so these are YOUR maintenance calories. Once you have those, post them up and we'll help you figure out a diet.

I am NOT a fan of WW - too low on the cals, too low in protein and fat. Not sustainable, and virtually guarantees you will fall off the wagon and regain the weight.

Shao-LiN
01-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Dropped about 40 pounds on my last cut and I think I did 3 or 4 sessions of cardio in the span of a month. It's not necessary to lose weight. It can help in the right situations, but it's not the be all, end all for fat loss.

fast57
01-24-2006, 07:25 PM
ok, went to fit day filled it out and i'm thinking now that i'm doing this in detail i'm seeing more of what im eating. so far for today it says that i've had 1493 calories. seems low to me but maybe just today. Should I just keep filling it out everyday to see exactly what im eating? Whats a good gudeline/calorie amount to go by for a start? What are FFA's??? And thnks for the help everyone.

Built
01-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Your maintenance calories are the calories YOU ACTUALLY CONSUME to neither gain nor lose weight. You can't go by a formula, you'll simply have to track. Once you have this number, drop the cals by 10-20% to lose. Make sure you always get in at least a gram of protein per pound LBM, and a half a gram of fat per pound LBM, even when cutting calories.

FFA = Free Fatty Acid. They get mobilized by intense activity. Burn 'em off and they don't redeposit. (I think).

fast57
01-24-2006, 08:14 PM
well i guess what i'm trying to ask is , how will i know when I have my maintenance calories right? If im not losing weight that must be the number right??? :confused:

Y0yo
01-24-2006, 09:14 PM
If you have been eating for say 2 weeks and averaged 2500 calories a day without losing any weight, then 2500 calories are your maintenance calories for the weight you're at now. If you've gained, then you're over, if you've lost then you're under. You'll eventually figure it out. Want to lose weight? Drop your cals! Want to hold onto your muscle while dropping the fat? Lift heavy, lift hard! Cardio is great for your health, no doubt about it, but lifting is going to get you where you want a whole lot better, and easier IMO.

Y0yo
01-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Edit - The next step would be cleaning up your diet and lifting properly. Check out the WBB routines and stick with that until it stops working for you. Adjust your diet as you lose weight. AND, listen to what Built said about how to organize your diet. Diet isn't about what you can do from now until next summer, it's about what you can do now and forever!

Draver
01-24-2006, 09:51 PM
I have changed my diet and follow a Weight watchers type diet in which early last year I lost weight with (but gained it back when I got lazy).

I am NOT a fan of WW - too low on the cals, too low in protein and fat. Not sustainable, and virtually guarantees you will fall off the wagon and regain the weight.

The only thing I can tell you regarding these types of "diets" or fad diets is that they are things you "go on." Like you say "I'm going on the WW diet." Well, eventually you will get off this diet and go back to your old ways of eating...guess what happens?

My 2 cents is: your "diet" should be a way of life in terms of food consumption. Modify certain things and follow a healthy lifestyle of eating making wise food selections, etc. As many others mentioned, once you find your maintenance calories and reduce them by 500, you should start seeing some results. The best part is, this will be your new lifestyle in terms of eating, so you'll never "get off" this way of eating and if you continue, you won't start gaining the weight back that you worked so hard to lose.