PDA

View Full Version : I need to know how to diet..

RATM1731
01-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Hello all. Just a few quick questions. I am starting to workout, and wanna diet to. You have to burn fat to see your muscles..correct? I have no clue how to diet and just wanna know the best general way, which I know starving yourself obviously isnt. I am 15 years of age, and just want to become more fit. For myself and football. Is there a basic diet to go by. Like the 2,000 calorie diet that is on the back of cans and stuff? Thanks alot.

Built
01-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Unfortunately, diet is different for everybody, and given that your meals are not always your own choosing, this is going to be tricky.

Can you get started so we can meet you halfway? Go to www.fitday.com and enter your best guesses at what food you eat now. Post up the macronutrients (that's the grams of protein, carb and fat, and total calories) and we'll see what we can do to help, okay?

RATM1731
01-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Unfortunately, diet is different for everybody, and given that your meals are not always your own choosing, this is going to be tricky.

Can you get started so we can meet you halfway? Go to www.fitday.com and enter your best guesses at what food you eat now. Post up the macronutrients (that's the grams of protein, carb and fat, and total calories) and we'll see what we can do to help, okay?
Allright, here is a screenshot of a pretty much normal day for me. If anything it's more at dinner time (more snacks).

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/397/diet6fa.jpg

Macronutrients = 4,018

ddegroff
01-24-2006, 10:55 PM
So your average cal intake is 4000 cals and your not gaining weight then you would add more cals (500 cals extra per day). If you want to lose weight drop 500 cals and see if you lose weight. If you don't lose much weight keep dropping your cals till you see weight loss about 1-2lbs per week.

Also most of us throw in a cheat day or meal, where we eat whatever we want (keeps us sane).

Unholy
01-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Looks like alot of empty calories, try to eat foods that have less calories but are more filling. Good bet would be Cottage cheesem tuna, Veggies. Have an omlet with more egg whites than eggs for breakfast instead of 7 cups of frosted flakes. You will be more full during your day while lowering your caloric intake.

Built
01-24-2006, 11:39 PM
:withstupi

Also, that's really hard to read - just make the journal public and post up the link.

RATM1731
01-25-2006, 08:21 AM
:withstupi

Also, that's really hard to read - just make the journal public and post up the link.
If you put your mouse on the pic, and wait a sec look in the bottom right hand corner, and something will come up to make the pic bigger.

Also I am trying to loose weight here. Alot of that stuff is fattening to isnt it? So should I cut back on that? I'm trying to loose not gain. Im 5'7.5" 168lb.

ddegroff
01-25-2006, 09:59 AM
here's a little secret that you will learn around here very quickly. Fat doesnt make you fat, excess cals do. As long as you create a caloric deficit then you will lose weight. How do you do that eat less, lift weights and do some cardio (you don't have to do this if you diet is in check).

RATM1731
01-25-2006, 07:08 PM
So that's all I have to do? Eat not junk food and lower the calories..?

Built
01-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Basically. Get in at least a gram of protein per pound LBM, and at least a half a gram of fat per pound LBM (just use your goal weight if you don't know your LBM) and lift heavy. If you keep a caloric deficit going, you'll lose fat.

Don't drop cals by too much though - 10-20% reduction is good to start with, k?

Good luck.

RATM1731
01-26-2006, 04:59 AM
What do you mean a gram of protein per pound LBM..? And I haven't really came up with a goal weight..

deeder
01-26-2006, 05:11 AM
What do you mean a gram of protein per pound LBM..? And I haven't really came up with a goal weight..

Per pound of Lean Body Mass (LBM)... And I'd say you should come up with a goal weight. Or atleast goal BF percentage...

Paul Stagg
01-26-2006, 06:00 AM
At 15, eat everything your mom cooks for you. get physical - lift, run around, play a sport.

If you want to play football, tailor your training for that.

RATM1731
01-26-2006, 02:15 PM
So how many calories a day should I eat? Probably the easiest way for me to do it..so I can add them up and know when I should stop etc.

Paul Stagg
01-26-2006, 02:31 PM
You are 15. You are probably still growing, and hopefully you are active. Don't count your calories - just eat. Eat healthy stuff - lean meats, veggies, fruits, but don't stress out about it. Pizza is good for teenagers.

If you start to get fat, don't eat so much. If you want to gain weight, eat more. Keep it simple.

RATM1731
01-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Allright. Thanks.

RhodeHouse
01-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Hello all. Just a few quick questions. I am starting to workout, and wanna diet to. You have to burn fat to see your muscles..correct? I have no clue how to diet and just wanna know the best general way, which I know starving yourself obviously isnt. I am 15 years of age, and just want to become more fit. For myself and football. Is there a basic diet to go by. Like the 2,000 calorie diet that is on the back of cans and stuff? Thanks alot.

Dude, you're 15 years old! Dieting is the dumbest thing you could ever do. I'm not giving you licence to eat shit, but you need to eat. Your diet should consist of:

Eggs
Beef
Chicken
Pork
Oats/Cereals
Bread
potatoes
pasta
Rice
Vegetables (anything that you'll eat is fine)
Peanut Butter
Milk (if your insides agree with it)

if you eat this everyday, you'll have a great diet. Everytime you eat you need to have protein. After that, don't worry about it.

Don't get caught up worrying about seeing your muscles at 15. You're 15. You don't have any muscle to see, yet. Whatever you see will just be tendons and ligaments. At 15 years old, dieting will hinder your muscular growth and you'll never build anything.

Don't start this process and be eternally disappointed. Eat your wheels off, lift heavy weights and pack on the pounds. If you buold muscle and stay in shape, you'll be just fine.

Songsangnim
01-25-2012, 09:29 PM
If you see a post by the poster "Errol" ignore it...he's going around bumping old diet threads. This was from 2006.